• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid on the Frances

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
I’ve heard of 2 cases of Covid in the last week, from pilgrims I met personally, ahead of me. Both had cold symptoms for a day or two and didn’t realize it was Covid at first. Minor sore throat seems to be one of the first signs.

It’s not a bad idea to keep a self test in your pack. Not every small town has a farmacia.

Please please please don’t walk for 2-3 days with a minor sore throat, staying in albergues and eating in busy bars, thinking it’s not Covid. Stay private at the first symptom of a cold until you know for sure. Eat outside or at less crowded times. Wear a mask indoors.

There are lots and lots of walkers here who are in their 60s and 70s. I see more of them than the young people.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Totally agree Eva. And even more importantly, protect the wonderful Spanish folks who welcome all the pilgrims in all the services they offer (tiendas, bars, etc.) Some of those people that are left in the small villages are often older and staying healthy to remain open is their livelihood. They have had some hard years during the shutdowns. Let's give them the respect and love they offer us. Thinking of others beyond our own "minor little discomfort" should probably be part of the Camino pilgrimage. So yes, at any sign of colds, sore throat, (even if you have been boosted, had covid already), please wear a maslk as soon as you approach others, especially in their own space!

Yes! Even if it turns out to not be COVID - no one wants to be sick - whatever the illness may end up being - so please keep it to yourselves!

But yes - many people start with "just a runny nose" or "just a sore throat" or "just a headache" for a day or two before the tests even turn positive - so worth testing twice a day or two apart. But isolate yourself in a private room in the meantime.

And those that are double vaxxed and double boosted are more likely to have mild symptoms of COVID - but still spread COVID with the mild symptoms.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think if people want to west a mask that’s fine (and they shouldn’t be looked down upon) and if they don’t that’s fine too ( and that shouldn’t be looked down upon either). Relatively fit 60-80 years olds (capable of doing a Camino) have very little to fear from covid!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Prior to omicron, covid in pilgrims was pretty much unheard of.
Prior to Omicron - Spain was just reopening and Spain was between COVID waves. Add to that dorms were at half capacity, many kitchens were closed, and many communal dinners (in doors) were not happening.

Omicron of course was also a more contagious variant on top of everything else - getting more vaccinated folks sick.

Relatively fit 60-80 years olds (capable of doing a Camino) have very little to fear from covid!

Even if that were true - are we not concerned about thé health and well-being of others? For example, local people who may not be ‘relatively fit 60-80 year olds (capable of doing a camino)’.

As a multi jabbed and boostered ‘relatively fit’ person I am not overly concerned about covid as I am more likely than not to have mild symptoms if i do get it - but I remain concerned about my ability to pass on to others who may not be so fortunate.

Wearing masks is a small inconvenience for the vast majority and respectful to albergue owners who are concerned, as Eve has commented.

Fwiw, a I’ve noticed the albergue owners are still masked most of the time, in spite of the end of the mask mandate. They’re clearly concerned about the risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Even if that is / were true - are we not concerned about thé health and well-being of others? For example, local people who may not be ‘relatively fit 60-80 year olds (capable of doing a camino)’.

As a multi jabbed and boostered ‘relatively fit’ person I am not overly concerned about covid as I am more likely than not to have mild symptoms if i do get it - but I remain concerned about my ability to pass on to others who may not be so fortunate.

Wearing masks is a small inconvenience for the vast majority and respectful to albergue owners who are concerned, as Eve has commented.
I just think it’s personal choice and if you want to wear a mask that’s fine! But it’s not for everybody and opinions vary widely and we shouldn’t see any approach as ‘right or wrong’.

I just think it’s personal choice and if you want to wear a mask that’s fine! But it’s not for everybody and opinions vary widely and we shouldn’t see any approach as ‘right or wrong’.
Except one approach is considerate of the well being of all... not just "what is right for me". I am fully vaxxed and double boosted. I don't wear a mask "for me". I wear it for those around me.

Oh well... moving along.

Except one approach is considerate of the well being of all... not just "what is right for me". I am fully vaxxed and double boosted. I don't wear a mask "for me". I wear it for those around me.

Oh well... moving along.

Oh well... moving along.

Let’s move along . Someone berated me for my selfishness in eating meat last night, I responded by berating her for driving a car and on it goes!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wearing masks is a small inconvenience for the vast majority and respectful to albergue owners who are concerned, as Eve has commented
Very true. Why quibble over such a small inconvenience when it shows respect to others who are concerned, especially as being guests in their country.

I think if people want to west a mask that’s fine (and they shouldn’t be looked down upon) and if they don’t that’s fine too ( and that shouldn’t be looked down upon either). Relatively fit 60-80 years olds (capable of doing a Camino) have very little to fear from covid!
I may not have much to fear but I certainly do not want it. If you have sniffles or are sick in ANY way, wear a danger mask and go to private lodgings!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.