• Click to join the Casa Ivar mailing List
    (separate from the forum emails). This includes new videos created on YouTube and new prodcts on the Camino Forum Store. (Click the small "X" on the top right corner to remove this message)

Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

COVID Covid Passport may be required to sleep in Galician albergues — Oct. 9

peregrina2000

Staff member
I’m posting this news even though I don’t have the details on how it will be implemented or how pilgrims will obtain the passport.

As of Saturday, Oct. 9, albergues have a choice. They can increase their capacity to 75% if they require all pilgrims to show the “pasaporte covid.” If they do not require the document, their capacity must remain at 50%.

What is not clear to me is how pilgrims will get this document.

Though the Spanish press uses the term “pasaporte covid,” it looks to me like they are referring to the EU digital certificate.

Obviously, a lot more information is needed here, but I wanted to give a heads up on the new requirements.

I am not sure if this older thread about EU covid certificates for those outside the EU is still up to date.

Buen camino, Laurie

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
I also just saw this in La Voz. I know a few months ago Galicia was requiring a digital passport to eat in restaurants and that was stuck down by the courts.

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Past OR future Camino
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
The following was already stated in a other thread, please consult it here.

The new order of the regional government of Galicia that will allow pilgrim albergues to increase their bed capacity from currently 50% of their full capacity to 75%, provided that vaccinated pilgrims prove their vaccination by an official certificate and non-vaccinated pilgrims pass an antigen test every 48 hours or a PCR test every 72 hours and prove it by an appropriate certificate, has an unusually long prologue where the reasons for the order are enumerated.

Last edited:
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

LTfit

Veteran Member
It sounds like a headache for albergues because it would appear that it's all or nothing. If you decide to increase capacity to 75% every single pilgrim will need to show a QR code, right? You can't accept 50% without and then 25% with.

This means that this represents one more level of planning for those not vaccinated but keep in mind this is only for albergues in Galicia.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
This means that this represents one more level of planning for those not vaccinated but keep in mind this is only for albergues in Galicia.
If it encourages people to get vaccinated so that they don't have to take several tests a week, then that's a plus!

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Past OR future Camino
FYI, the tiny grocery store next door to my hotel in Porto has stacks of COVID tests for less than 2€, so having to provide a negative test is really not a major imposition

Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
FYI, the tiny grocery store next door to my hotel in Porto has stacks of COVID tests for less than 2€, so having to provide a negative test is really not a major imposition
When you look at the actual text of the order, you will see that these cheap self-tests don't count in Galicia for access to albergues who want to use the option of 75% capacity. See Primero, point 1, then point 2º: "por un laboratorio oficial autorizado". If you are not vaccinated, you must show a recent certificate as proof of a negative test result and this certificate must be issued by an authorised lab.

Where I live, this can be done by staff in a pharmacy, and the price is €30 for a rapid antigen test - you will get an EU DCC certificate. The same pharmacy sells the self-tests for €8. I don't know about the situation in Galicia but as I said: if you want to stay in albergues who opt for this scheme, you cannot make use of cheap self-tests from the grocery store according to the law.

Last edited:
Past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back (roads & paths; Tours; Francés; sea; roads & paths)
It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the coming weeks. Given the high vaccination rates in Spain and in neighbouring countries from where the majority of pilgrims come, this is a no-brainer. They all have the required certificate already, or can get it easily from their regional or national health services.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

LTfit

Veteran Member
It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the coming weeks. Given the high vaccination rates in Spain and in neighbouring countries from where the majority of pilgrims come, this is a no-brainer. They all have the required certificate already, or can get it easily from their regional or national health services.
Of course this doesn't hold for pilgrims outside the EU so albergue owners will need to know which documents from where are valid.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads