• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid positive

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Time of past OR future Camino
2012 CF
2014 CF
2022 CF
I am in Leon. My self-administered Covid test was positive. I just returned from a local testing site and will have results back within a day. So I will have documentation of a positive result.
Here is my question: how do I obtain a letter from a licensed health care provider as required to return to the US? Information below copied from CDC website. Neither the testing site nor two medical offices I’ve visited were aware of how to provide such documentation.

“If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).”

If you’re coming to the Camino soon, take note that there seems to be lots of pilgrims testing positive. I’m fully vaccinated, double boosted, and have taken precautions. But Covid still found me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I feel your pain. I tested positive when I got to the airport and was expecting to fly back to the US. Now 6 days later my self tests are getting fainter and "less positive" so I'm hopeful that I'll have a negative test result soon and can get an official test so that I can fly back home.

However, I did research options for the "documentation of recovery" and plan to use that if needed. The best resource I found online was here:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I feel your pain. I tested positive when I got to the airport and was expecting to fly back to the US. Now 6 days later my self tests are getting fainter and "less positive" so I'm hopeful that I'll have a negative test result soon and can get an official test so that I can fly back home.

However, I did research options for the "documentation of recovery" and plan to use that if needed. The best resource I found online was here:

Thank you for this resource, @jlietzow
Very helpful!

Allianz insurance did not know what a certificate of recovery is. I did speak to a Delta representative. She said there is no standardized form for a certificate of recovery, but it simply needs to be a letter from a healthcare provider listing my name, dob, passport number, the date I tested positive, and stating that I no longer have any symptoms of Covid. So I will either use the link provided by @jlietzow or go to a physician in Santiago prior to Barcelona flight.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am in Leon. My self-administered Covid test was positive. I just returned from a local testing site and will have results back within a day. So I will have documentation of a positive result.
Here is my question: how do I obtain a letter from a licensed health care provider as required to return to the US? Information below copied from CDC website. Neither the testing site nor two medical offices I’ve visited were aware of how to provide such documentation.

“If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).”

If you’re coming to the Camino soon, take note that there seems to be lots of pilgrims testing positive. I’m fully vaccinated, double boosted, and have taken precautions. But Covid still found me.
Sorry to hear you tested positive. I flew home 2 weeks ago and it seemed like we might have been in a sweet spot as cases are increasing a lot now. Hope you are feeling okay and recover quickly.

Allianz insurance did not know what a certificate of recovery is. I did speak to a Delta representative. She said there is no standardized form for a certificate of recovery, but it simply needs to be a letter from a healthcare provider listing my name, dob, passport number, the date I tested positive, and stating that I no longer have any symptoms of Covid. So I will either use the link provided by @jlietzow or go to a physician in Santiago prior to Barcelona flight.
Wondering if you can reach your physician in the US for some kind of telehealth visit? I am going to check with our provider before we leave in case we need to do that.

Note from mod: I will edit or delete this post based on better information, but I am hitting a brick wall.

Hi, @CaminoKentucky, I am very sorry to hear this news. I am not the best online researcher, but I am having a hard time finding a clear definition of what is required for the “certificate of recovery.”

I think @Sitkapilgrim’s experience may be the most recent we have seen on the forum. The last post we had indicated that @Sitkapilgrim had been able to get a letter of recovery from a local (Spanish) doctor. There was some ambiguity at that point whether the traveler needed to be 10 days past onset of symptoms or 10 days past positive test. Since @Sitkapilgrim got a negative test result she was let on the plane in Spain, even though it had not been 10 days past positive covid test.

The CDC says this:

• If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).
More elaborate information from CDC is here. (Look at Part 2, Section B).

The missing link (at least missing in terms of my searching) is a clear definition of the requirements that apply to the licensed healthcare provider who issues the certificate of recovery. There must be, somewhere, a specific definition of what constitutes “recovery.” But I can’t find it. That seems to leave a lot of discretion both in the hands of the licensed health care provider and the airlines.

But there is no shortage of places offering to do the clearance process for you via a televisit.

For example:

Hoping that you and all other similarly situated pilgrims can work their way through this maze.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Note from mod: I will edit or delete this post based on better information, but I am hitting a brick wall.

Hi, @CaminoKentucky, I am very sorry to hear this news. I am not the best online researcher, but I am having a hard time finding a clear definition of what is required for the “certificate of recovery.”

I think @Sitkapilgrim’s experience may be the most recent we have seen on the forum. The last post we had indicated that @Sitkapilgrim had been able to get a letter of recovery from a local (Spanish) doctor. There was some ambiguity at that point whether the traveler needed to be 10 days past onset of symptoms or 10 days past positive test. Since @Sitkapilgrim got a negative test result she was let on the plane in Spain, even though it had not been 10 days past positive covid test.

The CDC says this:

• If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).
More elaborate information from CDC is here. (Look at Part 2, Section B).

The missing link (at least missing in terms of my searching) is a clear definition of the requirements that apply to the licensed healthcare provider who issues the certificate of recovery. There must be, somewhere, a specific definition of what constitutes “recovery.” But I can’t find it. That seems to leave a lot of discretion both in the hands of the licensed health care provider and the airlines.

But there is no shortage of places offering to do the clearance process for you via a televisit.

For example:

Hoping that you and all other similarly situated pilgrims can work their way through this maze.
Thank you for your help and for researching things @peregrina2000. It is quite odd that there are no specific easily accessible online guidelines as to what a certificate of recovery is. The information you sent is helpful!

I agree that the requirements seem uncomfortably nebulous. For what it's worth, I found this online in a document from the CDC for airlines screening passengers:

SIGNED LETTER: Must also have a signed letter stating the passenger is cleared for travel.
• From a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official
• Must be signed and on official letterhead that shows the name, address, and phone number of the healthcare provider or public health official
• Does not need to specify dates of travel

Very sorry to hear that Covid found you in spite of being vaccinated and boosted :( I am wondering if you tested because you were feeling ill or did you suspect that you had an exposure? Do you have any tips for reducing risk on the CF? I will be traveling Sept/Oct. Hoping you feel better soon!

You should probably check with your airline as ultimately their gate agent is going to be the one who decides if you get on the plane. No one in the US will ask about it.

I would also ask what language it has to be in.

The website others have mentioned was recently referred to in a NYT article about ways Americans can get around flying with covid or before ten days. Sounds like they takr a very flexible view of "ten days". Other methods are flying to Canada or Mexico and crossing the us border overland. No test requirement for that.

Very sorry to hear that Covid found you in spite of being vaccinated and boosted :( I am wondering if you tested because you were feeling ill or did you suspect that you had an exposure? Do you have any tips for reducing risk on the CF? I will be traveling Sept/Oct. Hoping you feel better soon!
@Kobe i self-tested after a fairly rapid onset of fever and chills. I am not aware of any definite exposures, but was around many coughing people in the Alberques and heard daily reports of more people testing positive.
I guess my biggest tip would be to book private rooms. I do believe my exposure happened in the Alberques. Let me know if you have any other questions!

In my case, I was also vaccinated and boosted. I am traveling with my sister-in-law who in fact was double boosted. Nonetheless we both tested positive at the airport. My wife tested negative and was able to return home.

I had a minor sore throat for one day and later a little cough, but thought it was just a minor cold. My sister-in-law had no symptoms at all. We stayed primarily in private rooms, but occasionally had to stay in dormitory style rooms because nothing else was available. I suspect that's where we got the exposure. I remember specifically one night where a man was coughing repeatedly throughout the night.

My lessons learned would be:

1) If you have any reason to suspect that you might have been exposed to COVID, get tested right away. You can buy self tests at any pharmacy for only 2€ here in Portugal. In 15 minutes you'll know. If you test positive, get an official test so that you can start the 10 day count down. Otherwise you may feel fine and no longer be contagious but be stuck waiting for 10 days from your positive test.

2) If you can do it, avoid staying with people that you don't know. Private rooms are fairly inexpensive. We were traveling in a group of 3 and often found triple rooms for 35€ to 50€.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You should probably check with your airline as ultimately their gate agent is going to be the one who decides if you get on the plane. No one in the US will ask about it.

I would also ask what language it has to be in.

The website others have mentioned was recently referred to in a NYT article about ways Americans can get around flying with covid or before ten days. Sounds like they takr a very flexible view of "ten days". Other methods are flying to Canada or Mexico and crossing the us border overland. No test requirement for that.
We thought about flying into Canada and driving home, but Canada randomly tests travelers arriving at airports. Moreover, if you fly to Canada with symptoms of COVID or worse yet while you are supposed to be isolating, you are in violation of the Canadian Quarantine Act.IMG-20220605-WA0003.jpg

In my case, I was also vaccinated and boosted. I am traveling with my sister-in-law who in fact was double boosted. Nonetheless we both tested positive at the airport. My wife tested negative and was able to return home.

I had a minor sore throat for one day and later a little cough, but thought it was just a minor cold. My sister-in-law had no symptoms at all. We stayed primarily in private rooms, but occasionally had to stay in dormitory style rooms because nothing else was available. I suspect that's where we got the exposure. I remember specifically one night where a man was coughing repeatedly throughout the night.

My lessons learned would be:

1) If you have any reason to suspect that you might have been exposed to COVID, get tested right away. You can buy self tests at any pharmacy for only 2€ here in Portugal. In 15 minutes you'll know. If you test positive, get an official test so that you can start the 10 day count down. Otherwise you may feel fine and no longer be contagious but be stuck waiting for 10 days from your positive test.

2) If you can do it, avoid staying with people that you don't know. Private rooms are fairly inexpensive. We were traveling in a group of 3 and often found triple rooms for 35€ to 50€.
Thank you for your very thorough response. Your tips are very helpful as well. You have provided some very valuable information for your fellow pilgrims!

@Kobe i self-tested after a fairly rapid onset of fever and chills. I am not aware of any definite exposures, but was around many coughing people in the Alberques and heard daily reports of more people testing positive.
I guess my biggest tip would be to book private rooms. I do believe my exposure happened in the Alberques. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Hoping your symptoms were not serious and things are looking up a bit for you. Sending positive thoughts and vibes! Thanks for your response.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

First, if you have Covid you should not be flying home and possibly infecting everyone on the plane…..that said, as of Sunday at midnight you no longer need to test to return to the USA.

You no longer need proof of a negative covid test to get back into the US
According to CNN the testing requirement for US bound travelers will be discontinued as of midnight Sunday. (12:01 Monday 6/13/2022) This requirement will be re-evaluated in 90 days in regards to any changes in the progression of the virus.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi all. I'm not very very proficient at navigating the forum threads. Is there a post with a link that explains in English what are the Spanish requirements if I have a positive self-test? (number of days of quarantine?, public CT reporting?)
Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
According to CNN the testing requirement for US bound travelers will be discontinued as of midnight Sunday. (12:01 Monday 6/13/2022) This requirement will be re-evaluated in 90 days in regards to any changes in the progression of the virus.
It goes into effect at 12:01am Eastern time on Sunday the 12th. (tomorrow)

It goes into effect at 12:01am Eastern time on Sunday the 12th. (tomorrow)

Thank trecile, you for this link. This is good news for Americans returning home.
I actually was wondering about Spanish requirements for isolation, etc. while in Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In Galicia.

There are guidelines for isolation upon testing positive for COVID-19 that differ slightly depending on location. The CDC says to isolate for 10 days from onset of the disease (first symptoms or date of positive test if no symptoms) but at least in Portugal they recommend only 7 days if no symptoms or only mild symptoms. I'm not familiar with the guidelines for Galicia.

The problem that I had (and many others based on posts to the forum) was with the rules for returning to the US after a positive test. I felt fine within a few days of my positive test, which was probably about 7 days from the onset of my mild symptoms. But of course that wouldn't allow me into the US at that time.

I ended up testing negative 11 days after my positive test so was about to return using that result. However, had I still tested positive I would have needed a letter from a doctor or public health authority documenting my recovery. Of course, as others far l have documented, that all changes at midnight tonight when no test will be required at all.

First, if you have Covid you should not be flying home and possibly infecting everyone on the plane…..that said, as of Sunday at midnight you no longer need to test to return to the USA.
@itsjann I self-quarantined and of course would not have been flying home while I may have potentially infected others! Take care!

Whe
Hi all. I'm not very very proficient at navigating the forum threads. Is there a post with a link that explains in English what are the Spanish requirements if I have a positive self-test? (number of days of quarantine?, public CT reporting?)
Thanks.
I had positive test in León, I was told no mandatory quarantine, “do what you feel like doing,” etc. No public reporting of home test. If you have an official test done in a lab, etc. It gets reported. Hope this helps!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I will arriving in Lisbon on Thursday. Do you think wearing a mask will help when in an albergue?
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.