Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Video COVID Radar and app for COVID tracing in Spain

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and back (no name; Tours; Francés; sea; no name)
It would be nice if you'd comment if you can download it outside Spain
Let me be the first to report ☺. I am not in Spain. I could download Radar COVID from Apple's App Store. It runs on my iPhone. At the beginning, you have an option to set the app to English (Ingles). I think you have to do this right at the start, you may not be able to change the language later.

It's quite a simple app, as you said. I got as far as to the section where I would enter my "Diagnosis code" if I had one. It seems to work just fine.

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Camino(s) past & future
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
Hola Ivar,
I downloaded the Android version of the app in Australia, and it works. The Android version also allows the user to set the language interface to English. This requires a restart of the app.
Thank you for sharing!

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Plata,
Ivar we also have a radar notification which you download on your phone free from the Canadian Government but you must have a Google account that's as much as I know ABOUT THIS, BUT APPARENTLY IT WORKS BETTER IF more people get this app.

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
I guess this is an app similar to the app Smittestopp in Norway which after a few weeks was closed because of reasons of unlegal surveillance.
In my opinion it´s a bit funny since we are under surveillance nearly every minute every day using our phones, wifi, creditcards and so on.

Camineiro

Camino(s) past & future
several
Hi Ivar,

I was able to download and install the app here in Germany.
No problem at all.
It looks pretty much the same as the german COVID warning app.

Latecomer

Camino(s) past & future
VDLP (Sept 2015)

CF SJPDP-SdC+
(Sept/Oct 2018)
I was successful downloading the Radar COVID from Apple's USA App Store. It seems to run fine on my iPhone. No Camino planned :(, but I was just curious about the app.
¡Buen Camino!

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
It is OK, but using it means you are under constant surveillance from authorities. I will not use it, although I am a straight, law-abiding citizen.:)

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
using it means you are under constant surveillance from authorities
Does a statement like the above qualify as „Covid-19 misinformation“?

I can’t say that I understand much of the technology behind these official Covid-19 warning apps but from what I hear and read and have been told by someone who does understand it better, the technology is not the same for every government warning app. There are fundamental differences between countries.

The apps developed by Bahrain, Kuweit and Norway are apparently among the worst and the most dangerous and invasive as far as private data collection and storage are concerned while apps developed by Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and apparently also by Spain (according to what Ivar says in the video clip) are totally anonymised.

See: Bahrain, Kuwait and Norway contact tracing apps among most dangerous for privacy with details about a report published by Amnesty's Security Lab.

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Portugal has now launched their official Covid-19 app. They are promoting it as a "civic duty" to use it.

The Portuguese app is called Stayaway Covid.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded it from the App Store onto my iPhone. It opened in English. It is similar to Spain's Radar Covid.

According to the introduction, the app works like a radar by sharing randomly generated depersonalised identifiers with nearby mobile phones. These identifiers are stored for 14 days on your mobile phone only. The app does not require access to an individual's location or to personal data.

The app has a link to a more detailed explanation on data processing by the Stayaway Covid system.

There is also an FAQ section.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock