• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID Covid regulations for Italy

Roadboy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2014 - 2016)
Camino Portuguese Coastal (2017 and 2018)
Via Francigena (2019)
Leaving November 2021 from Scotland for Francigena. Flying into Pisa, but need info on what the Italian authorities require for entry AND exit. Can anyone help?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks, Tincatinker. I'll keep up with the Gov.uk website.

Returned from Italy 10 days ago. But i am German, so things might be slightly different for you.

Basically its rather relaxed at the moment.
- wear masks in shops, public transport and while getting to restaurant tables
- use the EU passenger locator form before entering
- have proof of vaccination. Not sure if you need it 100%, but i have the QR-code on my phone and when i was asked for "green pass" i showed it. No idea what would have happened otherwise, might be theres other solutions. Was not asked that many times however (only like 40% of the times when i was eating inside a restaurant)

thats pretty much it.

Here is the link from the Italian Ministry of Health.

You will want to check your own country's requirements for returning home.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Leaving November 2021 from Scotland for Francigena. Flying into Pisa, but need info on what the Italian authorities require for entry AND exit. Can anyone help?
FWIW, I flew from Portugal to Rome Ciampino two weeks ago and was not asked to show anything to enter (I haven't exited yet), but that was a flight within the Schengen zone and your flight is not.

Returned from Italy 10 days ago. But i am German, so things might be slightly different for you.

Basically its rather relaxed at the moment.
- wear masks in shops, public transport and while getting to restaurant tables
- use the EU passenger locator form before entering
- have proof of vaccination. Not sure if you need it 100%, but i have the QR-code on my phone and when i was asked for "green pass" i showed it. No idea what would have happened otherwise, might be theres other solutions. Was not asked that many times however (only like 40% of the times when i was eating inside a restaurant)

thats pretty much it.
Thank you, Anhalter. Great information, I hope you enjoyed the experience - I can't wait to feel the freedom!

Here is the link from the Italian Ministry of Health.

You will want to check your own country's requirements for returning home.
Thanks for the link, GPeachy - great info. I'm looking forward to coming back to the beauty that is the Via Francigena.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
FWIW, I flew from Portugal to Rome Ciampino two weeks ago and was not asked to show anything to enter (I haven't exited yet), but that was a flight within the Schengen zone and your flight is not.
Thanks, jungleboy. The Schengen zone.... I wish! Maybe I won't come home 😷

Returned from Italy a few days ago. You have to wear masks indoors (shopping...), but in restaurants only to and from your table.
For indoor dinners you need to show the "green pass" what is simply the vacc. proof. I showed them my QR code via CovPass app and that always worked.
All in all I found it rather relaxed in Italy at this time.

Best wishes,
Volker

Returned from Italy a few days ago. You have to wear masks indoors (shopping...), but in restaurants only to and from your table.
For indoor dinners you need to show the "green pass" what is simply the vacc. proof. I showed them my QR code via CovPass app and that always worked.
All in all I found it rather relaxed in Italy at this time.

Best wishes,
Volker
Good news, Volker. Many thanks for this, especially the information about CovPass.

Happy travels,
Roadboy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I suggest you to check also the Italian government website on travel requirements. It is available in Italian and in English:
Buon cammino!

Just arrived back in the U.S. from Italy.
Throughout the country they were quite strict about mask wearing and temperature taking (Even to enter a McDonald's restaurant!). When entering many locations I had to display my CDC card (The U.S. equivalent to a green pass).
Coming back to the U.S. I had to obtain a Rapid Test result and have it uploaded onto my phone for display at the airports upon boarding. (I was also issued a hard copy of the document as well).
Overall is was painless and if anything just a little bit of a time delay here and there, but other than that it was all worth it in the end.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back