• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid Test at Madrid Airport

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have seen several comments on the forum about covid tests in the Madrid airport, (antigen test gives results in an hour,, PCR is 12). I’m starting this thread for easier searchability.

Can someone who has taken a test at the Madrid airport let us know how the process works in relationship to check-in? I think I saw somewhere that you check in first and then go get the test. Since check-in and security could be a lengthy process, it would affect the time of the appointment you would make.

I was in Málaga in late June and the covid test center was before check-in. It is the same operation that is working in Madrid. It also makes sense that the testing would take place before security and check-in since I think I remember that I had to show the results at check-in!

Both PCR and antigen tests are available, and prices are about 25€ for antigen, 50€ for PCR. For those who need a PCR test, you would probably have to get the test the day before, in order to get the results in the proper window. Two trips to the airport is not ideal, but it will work.

We had an appointment, but there was a very long line of people who didn’t. Those with appointments just walked to the front of the line. If my experience in Málaga is the same as what happens in Madrid, they only make one appointment for each five minute slot. There were two people doing tests, so roughly there was one person for the long line and one person for those with appointments.

I think you would be well-advised to make an appointment, but for those who didn’t, can anyone confim whether there is also the walk-up option in Madrid?

Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is sounding very good, both for price and for availability at the airport 12 hours or more before flying out (for the PCR test). I already have booked accommodation at Hostal Viky near Madrid Airport for the night before I am flying back to Canada in the morning, changing planes in Frankfurt. I could get off an Alsa bus at the airport the evening before, get the test at the airport, then begin my trip back to Canada the next morning. I must have a PCR test taken during the previous 3 days and valid when I get on my connecting flight in Frankfurt the next afternoon, or I expect to not be allowed to board. Am I missing anything? I find all these regulations extremely confusing. I know that there is a chance that the PCR test will no longer be required by Canada when I fly back on Nov. 29. But I am more concerned with being able to get a valid test and fly home when the time comes. The price seems reasonable and I would really like to begin my camino in Spain in September with the confidence that I shall have no difficulty with COVID-19 regulations when flying home. Any thoughts on this?

I have seen several comments about this option on the forum, with results in an hour. I’m starting this thread for easier searchability.

Can someone who has taken a test at the Madrid airport let us know how the process works in relationship to check-in? I think I saw somewhere that you check in first and then go get the test. Since check-in and security could be a lengthy process, it would affect the time of the appointment you would make.

I think you would be well-advised to make an appointment, but for those who didn’t, can anyone confim whether there is also the walk-up option in Madrid?

Laurie,
This could not work for the PCR test which Canadians are currently required to take, as it needs twelve hours for processing. This is why I thought that having a room for the night booked near the airport would be desirable in order to get results before flying.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is sounding very good, both for price and for availability at the airport 12 hours or more before flying out (for the PCR test). I already have booked accommodation at Hostal Viky near Madrid Airport for the night before I am flying back to Canada in the morning, changing planes in Frankfurt. I could get off an Alsa bus at the airport the evening before, get the test at the airport, then begin my trip back to Canada the next morning. I must have a PCR test taken during the previous 3 days and valid when I get on my connecting flight in Frankfurt the next afternoon, or I expect to not be allowed to board. Am I missing anything? I find all these regulations extremely confusing. I know that there is a chance that the PCR test will no longer be required by Canada when I fly back on Nov. 29. But I am more concerned with being able to get a valid test and fly home when the time comes. The price seems reasonable and I would really like to begin my camino in Spain in September with the confidence that I shall have no difficulty with COVID-19 regulations when flying home. Any thoughts on this?
Hello! I am looking to get a PCR or Antigen test at Madrid Airport sadly no availability next few days. Beyond that it seems fine!

Hello! I am looking to get a PCR or Antigen test at Madrid Airport sadly no availability next few days. Beyond that it seems fine!
The one crucial piece of information missing is whether walk-ups are possible. As I said in my original post, when I had an appointment in Málaga, there was a long line of people waiting without an appointment. If that is also the case in Madrid, you could get there at a ridiculously early time and get your test.

The one crucial piece of information missing is whether walk-ups are possible. As I said in my original post, when I had an appointment in Málaga, there was a long line of people waiting without an appointment. If that is also the case in Madrid, you could get there at a ridiculously early time and get your test.
Thank you!! Yes ironically I am looking at a 0750 departure and don’t arrive to Madrid by bus until 2300 the night before and was debating whether to bother with a hotel so a 0200 appointment sounds rather attractive!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie,
This could not work for the PCR test which Canadians are currently required to take, as it needs twelve hours for processing. This is why I thought that having a room for the night booked near the airport would be desirable in order to get results before flying.
I did what you are planning to do when I was in Málaga in June. Since the regulations were so new, I decided to play it safe and get a PCR test, even though the US accepts an antigen test. That meant going out to the airport a couple of days before departure. Our test was at noon and we had the results in less than twelve hours.

I think all you need now is some first hand experiences to tell you exactly where the test center is in the airport — multiple centers at T4 and T2-3? I saw a comment somewhere, which I now can’t find, saying that the test center is located after you go through security. That was certainly NOT the case in Málaga, and it seems wrong to me. Especially since you might need to show your negative covid results in order to check in and even get to the security line!

So, if anyone has a first hand experience, let us know!

I am trying to be prepared as well and have done some research for Madrid PCR test - I am also going to fly Santiago - Madrid get the test ( as they are open on Sunday’s) and then fly home on the Monday allowing more than 12 hours for any result to come in. They do have a map on the website ( at the bottom of the page - it is T4, floor 2 public zone ( so before check in)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am trying to be prepared as well and have done some research for Madrid PCR test - I am also going to fly Santiago - Madrid get the test ( as they are open on Sunday’s) and then fly home on the Monday allowing more than 12 hours for any result to come in. They do have a map on the website ( at the bottom of the page - it is T4, floor 2 public zone ( so before check in)
This is very helpful, THANKS! @Albertagirl, I don’t think you fly out of T4, so it is good for you to know that you should go to a differet terminal for the test (another good reason to take the test a day ahead of time).

Now all we are missing is information about whether the walk-up option is available to those willing to wait in line, or if the tests are only available to those with appointments.

This is very helpful, THANKS! @Albertagirl, I don’t think you fly out of T4, so it is good for you to know that you should go to a differet terminal for the test (another good reason to take the test a day ahead of time).

Now all we are missing is information about whether the walk-up option is available to those willing to wait in line, or if the tests are only available to those with appointments.
I shall not be flying out of Terminal 4, but I shall probably be arriving there via the Alsa bus. I have flown through Madrid Airport on several occasions and am fairly familiar with the various terminals. At present, I do not know when to get the bus from Logrono to the airport. I shall be in Najera, which has several buses a day to Logrono, but I don't expect that the present schedule from Logrono, whether by bus or train, will still be current when I am flying home in November. That makes it challenging to decide when to book my PCR test. I definitely to not want to leave it until no spaces are available. I was not aware that tests were available in different terminals. Would there be a problem if I booked my test for terminal 4 then flew out of terminal 1 the next morning?

My understanding is that the Madrid airport testing centre is only from T4 so you can access it regardless of which terminal your flight is - that is my plan ( I hope!) I’m flying into T4 from Santiago and then leave from a different terminal the next day

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just flu from Madrid T4 on Sunday. The booking system did not work for me for the covid test so I had no appointment. There was a queue and it was extremely slow. It took 4 hours to get finally tested. Missed my flight because of that. There was many people with the same problem. Also the place closes down from 8:30pm to 2am.

I looked at the "travelcovidtestingcenter" thing and the Madrid one is only T4, the other two are for Seville and for Costs del Sol I think it was. But they do say they are in the public zone...and then add you have to show plane ticket or boarding pass to enter the terminal...Albertagirl might be okay with her ticket that shows a different terminal? At least it shows she's a passenger.

I just flu from Madrid T4 on Sunday. The booking system did not work for me for the covid test so I had no appointment. There was a queue and it was extremely slow. It took 4 hours to get finally tested. Missed my flight because of that. There was many people with the same problem. Also the place closes down from 8:30pm to 2am.
That is extremely helpful. I imagine that someone like @Chef66 will be happy to learn he can arrive at the Madrid airport at 11 pm, get in the “no appointment” line that will open at 2 am, and be pretty sure to have a test result before a 7:50 am departure!

That is extremely helpful. I imagine that someone like @Chef66 will be happy to learn he can arrive at the Madrid airport at 11 pm, get in the “no appointment” line that will open at 2 am, and be pretty sure to have a test result before a 7:50 am departure!
Thank you! Yes so that would work great for me. I will report back on how it works

they do say they are in the public zone...and then add you have to show plane ticket or boarding pass to enter the terminal..
I do not understand this. I shall be flying back to Calgary after spending nearly three months in Spain. I can only get my return boarding passes (connecting flights) in the airport terminal and I must show them to get into the terminal. All that I have for tickets at present is a printout of my Air Canada flights. Could anyone explain this to me?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Albertagirl the Madrid airport testing centre says you can enter with a flight booking or boarding pass - I’m in the same boat so I will have my booking printed before my appointment ( which is one hour 30 mins after I am meant to land in T4)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think maybe the booking information which I printed will be adequate to get me into the terminal. It is labelled "Electronic ticket receipt" and contains, in addition to my name and the name of the airline, a Booking Reference code, a ticket number, and all the details of all my flights. I shall take this with me and present it at the door to terminal 4 when I get off the Alsa bus.

I think maybe the booking information which I printed will be adequate to get me into the terminal. It is labelled "Electronic ticket receipt" and contains, in addition to my name and the name of the airline, a Booking Reference code, a ticket number, and all the details of all my flights. I shall take this with me and present it at the door to terminal 4 when I get off the Alsa bus.
Yes I am sure it will be! That’s pretty much all the info you get from airlines. Obviously if you are within the online check in period you can just show boarding pass, but if not e ticket receipt is as good as it gets!

‘Live from the Camino’ is so last year, ‘Live from Madrid Airport’ is where it’s at!

I shall not be flying out of Terminal 4, but I shall probably be arriving there via the Alsa bus. I have flown through Madrid Airport on several occasions and am fairly familiar with the various terminals. At present, I do not know when to get the bus from Logrono to the airport. I shall be in Najera, which has several buses a day to Logrono, but I don't expect that the present schedule from Logrono, whether by bus or train, will still be current when I am flying home in November. That makes it challenging to decide when to book my PCR test. I definitely to not want to leave it until no spaces are available. I was not aware that tests were available in different terminals. Would there be a problem if I booked my test for terminal 4 then flew out of terminal 1 the next morning?
you can be admitted for testing 72 hours before your flight with your flight info at hand. what is their "guarenteed " turn around time. maybe call them for that answer? I only need the antigen so I have just booked my test appointment same day as my flight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
you can be admitted for testing 72 hours before your flight with your flight info at hand. what is their "guarenteed " turn around time. maybe call them for that answer? I only need the antigen so I have just booked my test appointment same day as my flight.
Thank you. I only need antigen but it’s needs to be within 48 hours (whereas PCR is 72)

I have been looking into getting to the airport at the best time to get a PCR test, when I need to allow 12 hours for processing. Travel schedules to Madrid when I shall be returning to Canada in November are not out yet. Conclusion: keep an eye on the availability of the tests. Book one before I leave for Spain in September, hoping that Alsa bus schedules will be available by then, but in no case risking not being able to book a test.

Just booked and paid for our Rapid Antigen tests at the Madrid airport. Very easy to do using the travelcovidtestcenter.com. As we are flying from Santiago to Madrid in mid-September where we’ll spend two days, we will get our Covid tests upon arrival there from Santiago and then be all set for when we fly home to the States. Although the infirmation seems a bit different from what I’ve read elsewhere, according to the American Airlies website, the Rapid Antigen test is valid for 72 hours although we’ll still be flying within 48 hours of taking the test. Hopefully, by reserving spots now, we can avoid any long lines at the airport testing center. Good luck everyone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am flying from SdC to MAD before returning home the following day. I actually schedule two appointments, one for 1.5 hours after we land in T4 and the other for early evening that same day. And I have also added a cheap train ticket to return to Madrid, in case my flight goes south! We are staying overnight at a hotel near the airport with shuttle services…we may walk it! It is simple to do it
I am gladly paying for an extra back up test rather than worrying about missing the slot.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all. I’ve looked through the comments and don’t see an answer to this question. Does anybody know if the testing center is before security or after security at the Madrid airport? The website does not seem to specify.

Hi all. I’ve looked through the comments and don’t see an answer to this question. Does anybody know if the testing center is before security or after security at the Madrid airport? The website does not seem to specify.
It is before the security check

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It’s would have to be before security really as airlines would need to check that a passenger has the right paperwork at check in. Bit like visas really!
Surprised to see your post, Chef66. I imagine that you are on your way to Barajas in an Alsa bus with wifi! We’re all sending you lots of luck for a successful test in the wee hours of the night!

Surprised to see your post, Chef66. I imagine that you are on your way to Barajas in an Alsa bus with wifi! We’re all sending you lots of luck for a successful test in the wee hours of the night!
Fear not! I am having a quick beer in Salamanca before my 2030 departure to Madrid Sur and then onto Barajas!! Feeling the pressure!

I do not understand this. I shall be flying back to Calgary after spending nearly three months in Spain. I can only get my return boarding passes (connecting flights) in the airport terminal and I must show them to get into the terminal. All that I have for tickets at present is a printout of my Air Canada flights. Could anyone explain this to me?
So I read what you said as "I have an e-ticket." And you're going to be stopping by a terminal probably to get the pass. But you do have the e-ticket. You ought to be good. If there is any common sense in the world, that is.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So I read what you said as "I have an e-ticket." And you're going to be stopping by a terminal probably to get the pass. But you do have the e-ticket. You ought to be good. If there is any common sense in the world, that is.
I have literally just arrived at the testing centre which opens in 10 mins. Just showed my travel confirmation to security at entrance to terminal.

Fear not! I am having a quick beer in Salamanca before my 2030 departure to Madrid Sur and then onto Barajas!! Feeling the pressure!
I tried to book a test at Madrid Airport online but for the next 7 days or so there were no slots available (my travel plans were formed only a few days back). I kept checking back on the site in case there were cancellations but no luck. So I just turned up at airport.

I arrived at MAD airport at 0140 for 0200 opening. .To access the terminal I needed to show either my travel confirmation or boarding pass. The test centre is at T4.landslide (I.e. before security) on the departures level approx.in the middle of the terminal towards the back - look for WH Smith!

There is a queue for those with bookings, who effectively walk straight in, and a queue for those without appointments. At 0145 I was 10th in the queue and by 0200 there were 20 or so behind me! The facility opened late at 0220.

Basically we got filtered in as appointment folks ‘dry up. It took about 20 mins for the first ‘no appointment’ person to go in but then we all seemed to follow in quick succession. I was called
forward approx 0250 (30 mins after opening),..you pay and provide your details. I was tested and out by 0255. It was an antigen test so I had my result about 15-20 mins later.

I checked round at the center about 30 mins later and the quaue had gone down very quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you! Please everyone feel free to ask questions. Whilst the process didn’t appear overly slick it seems to work!

For those travelling through Madrid please note the night bus to airport os not longer starting at Atocha Rail Station but at Plaza de Cibeles which is a 20 min walk away. I belove this continues to 05 Sept.

Just booked and paid for our Rapid Antigen tests at the Madrid airport. Very easy to do using the travelcovidtestcenter.com. As we are flying from Santiago to Madrid in mid-September where we’ll spend two days, we will get our Covid tests upon arrival there from Santiago and then be all set for when we fly home to the States. Although the infirmation seems a bit different from what I’ve read elsewhere, according to the American Airlies website, the Rapid Antigen test is valid for 72 hours although we’ll still be flying within 48 hours of taking the test. Hopefully, by reserving spots now, we can avoid any long lines at the airport testing center. Good luck everyone.
Do you mean one must pay for the test at the time of booking?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you! Please everyone feel free to ask questions. Whilst the process didn’t appear overly slick it seems to work!

For those travelling through Madrid please note the night bus to airport os not longer starting at Atocha Rail Station but at Plaza de Cibeles which is a 20 min walk away. I belove this continues to 05 Sept.
I forgot it add that there is just one queue for non appointment and one for appointments irrespective of the type of test you are having!

I tried to book a test at Madrid Airport online but for the next 7 days or so there were no slots available (my travel plans were formed only a few days back). I kept checking back on the site in case there were cancellations but no luck. So I just turned up at airport.

I arrived at MAD airport at 0140 for 0200 opening. .To access the terminal I needed to show either my travel confirmation or boarding pass. The test centre is at T4.landslide (I.e. before security) on the departures level approx.in the middle of the terminal towards the back - look for WH Smith!

There is a queue for those with bookings, who effectively walk straight in, and a queue for those without appointments. At 0145 I was 10th in the queue and by 0200 there were 20 or so behind me! The facility opened late at 0220.

Basically we got filtered in as appointment folks ‘dry up. It took about 20 mins for the first ‘no appointment’ person to go in but then we all seemed to follow in quick succession. I was called
forward approx 0250 (30 mins after opening),..you pay and provide your details. I was tested and out by 0255. It was an antigen test so I had my result about 15-20 mins later.

I checked round at the center about 30 mins later and the quaue had gone down very quickly.
thank you for the report,Chef . What does look for WH Smith mean? So before security, good to know. I think we will need buffering hours if not days around all the travel in these times. Us older travelers remember getting to welcome home our people right at the terminal , walk with them through the airport to baggage, talking excitedly.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
thank you for the report,Chef . What does look for WH Smith mean? So before security, good to know. I think we will need buffering hours if not days around all the travel in these times. Us older travelers remember getting to welcome home our people right at the terminal , walk with them through the airport to baggage, talking excitedly.
WH Smith is a shop that you can look for if you can’t find center as it is near that and signposting is good from there. However signposts whe you enter the Terminal and even at departures level is not great.

Is the money refundable if the flight is cancelled? Do they say one may change the appointment if needed?
If you go to the website where I reserved our COVID tests, travelcovidtestcenter.com, I believe that most of your questions regarding changes and cancellations are answered under their FAQs section.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just scheduled my PCR test for Sept. 13. We're spending a couple of days in Madrid before departing on the 15th, so that should allow plenty of time for the results. I'm doing the PCR test rather than the antigen, just in case the regulations change for reentering the US. By the way, I couldn't get my credit card to go through using the Chrome browser, so I switched to Safari and it worked.

I have seen several comments on the forum about covid tests in the Madrid airport, (antigen test gives results in an hour,, PCR is 12). I’m starting this thread for easier searchability.

I was in Málaga in late June and the covid test center was before check-in. It is the same operation that is working in Madrid. It also makes sense that the testing would take place before security and check-in since I think I remember that I had to show the results at check-in!

Both PCR and antigen tests are available, and prices are about 25€ for antigen, 50€ for PCR. For those who need a PCR test, you would probably have to get the test the day before, in order to get the results in the proper window. Two trips to the airport is not ideal, but it will work.

We had an appointment, but there was a very long line of people who didn’t. Those with appointments just walked to the front of the line. If my experience in Málaga is the same as what happens in Madrid, they only make one appointment for each five minute slot. There were two people doing tests, so roughly there was one person for the long line and one person for those with appointments.

Laurie,
Just offering my two cents: you may be able to get the test elsewhere so long as it is within the number of hours they have established (in the U.S. and BVI it was 72 hours. Also I took a flight within US, and filled out an affidavit that was required to enter a specific city and got tested 72 hours prior to departure. Once I arrived to destination, nobody asked for the affidavit or test results. The airport is not equipped to handle the COVID. Maybe it’s different in Madrid, but you just might want to check if any other clinic can perform the test so you don’t have to worry about time. If all they want are qualified test results, you shouldn’t be forced to get them at airport.

There will definitely be other clinics that do it. The airport option was attractive to me as it was a good price and it opens overnight. Not sure how that compares to other suppliers. .

Laurie,
Just offering my two cents: you may be able to get the test elsewhere so long as it is within the number of hours they have established (in the U.S. and BVI it was 72 hours. Also I took a flight within US, and filled out an affidavit that was required to enter a specific city and got tested 72 hours prior to departure. Once I arrived to destination, nobody asked for the affidavit or test results. The airport is not equipped to handle the COVID. Maybe it’s different in Madrid, but you just might want to check if any other clinic can perform the test so you don’t have to worry about time. If all they want are qualified test results, you shouldn’t be forced to get them at airport.
The issue, Ithink, is not that one is forced to get testing before returning home at the airport, but convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.