• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID Covid test availability?

Cjoncas

Time of past OR future Camino
2011, 2012, 2018 and 2019, planning for 2023!
Hello All!
I start in STPDP on April 20, Woohoo!

Wondering: Are Covid test easily availble in farmacia? I would assume they would but I'm questionning my self if I should bring some tests with me or not. What is your opinion on this topic?
Are isolation still required if someone gets Covid?

Caroline

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello All!
I start in STPDP on April 20, Woohoo!

Wondering: Are Covid test easily availble in farmacia? I would assume they would but I'm questionning my self if I should bring some tests with me or not. What is your opinion on this topic?
Are isolation still required if someone gets Covid?

Caroline
Hi Caroline,
I brought one just in case to save time and effort looking for an open farmacia. No isolation required currently in Spain, only contact reduction recommended.
Mervi

As with my walk last year, I will bring 3 tests with me. I do not expect to get COV and I've just had my 5th shot, so I'm not worried about being ill in particular... and with the lack of requirement to isolate, I'm not especially worried about that. But, I want to be able to test again 3 days after a positive test, and again 3 days after that... Why? Because there is some concern that low/no symptom COV can still have cardio complications *IF* one exercises too strenuously while infected.
So, if, like me, you fall into a pre-existing condition, you might want a few more tests. I removed the box and put them into a sturdy zip-lick bag (the one that supplies my Black Diamond pole tips). In a remote stretch where you might have trouble finding an (open) farmacia on arrival, I think that if you are concerned enough to take one test, that three are better.
Take that as you wish...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Does anyone know if Paxlovid is available if one does test positive and is sick enough to need the antiviral medication? If so, how would you get it?

thanks,

Does anyone know if Paxlovid is available if one does test positive and is sick enough to need the antiviral medication? If so, how would you get it?

thanks,
I will be starting my first Camino on May 2, so I don't know how available it actually is on the CF, but my doctor prescribed Paxlovid for me and I have filled it and will take it with me just in case.

Lateral flow tests were available at any pharmacy in late 2022. Given that they’re still sold in supermarkets in the UK I’d expect them to be still widely available in Spain.

Paxlovid is licenced and physically exists in Spain; but categorically not available OTC. At a minimum it would require a doctor’s prescription - some reports say hospitalisation - and I’d expect that to be based on a current clinical need; not ‘just in case’. (As AllanHG suggests)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Caroline,
I brought one just in case to save time and effort looking for an open farmacia. No isolation required currently in Spain, only contact reduction recommended.
Mervi
Thanks!!!
As with my walk last year, I will bring 3 tests with me. I do not expect to get COV and I've just had my 5th shot, so I'm not worried about being ill in particular... and with the lack of requirement to isolate, I'm not especially worried about that. But, I want to be able to test again 3 days after a positive test, and again 3 days after that... Why? Because there is some concern that low/no symptom COV can still have cardio complications *IF* one exercises too strenuously while infected.
So, if, like me, you fall into a pre-existing condition, you might want a few more tests. I removed the box and put them into a sturdy zip-lick bag (the one that supplies my Black Diamond pole tips). In a remote stretch where you might have trouble finding an (open) farmacia on arrival, I think that if you are concerned enough to take one test, that three are better.
Take that as you wish...
Thank you Griffin!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back