• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid Test Kits

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrienC

Author of Camino Child
Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Francés, VDLP, Norte
2022: Portuguese
Has anyone here or know of people using at-home tests from GoHealth or eMed or similar? They advertise that Americans can purchase these kits, take them in their luggage, then do the test pre-flight, which is verified with an agent online, for results sent to an app on your phone.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anyone here or know of people using at-home tests from GoHealth or eMed or similar? They advertise that Americans can purchase these kits, take them in their luggage, then do the test pre-flight, which is verified with an agent online, for results sent to an app on your phone.
There was a post on this thread back in July. There may be more if you try the search function.

Yes, several of the US based airlines have links to these kits. I suppose that the one caveat would be that they do need to be stored at a stable temperature.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why would you need to carry this test with you? Are they not available in Spain?

Why would you need to carry this test with you? Are they not available in Spain?
Convenience, I guess. I'd rather have them with me than seek them out. However, you do pose a great question. Is it that easy; can they be purchased in a farmacia?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Convenience, I guess. I'd rather have them with me than seek them out. However, you do pose a great question. Is it that easy; can they be purchased in a farmacia?
Those who provide on-line verification of the test and issue a certificate insist on you using their test.

there do appear to be testing centres at the major Spanish airports and in pretty much every large town in Spain offering appointments and (in some cases) walk-up testing; although reports on here indicate you need to leave plenty of time if you’ve not pre-booked.

I have them and plan to take the test kits with me in October (god willing.) You get 6 test/virtual appt for $150. From what I understand a test in Spain is running 100-150 Euros for one test. I will take 3 with me just in case I feel the need to test on the trail. All I need for the virtual visit is wifi.

I'm also going in October. I just planned on making an appointment at the Madrid Airport for either a PCR test the evening before I leave or a Rapid test just before my return flight. Prices on the website show to be 58 euros for the PCR and 24 euros for the Rapid.

Any downside to my plan?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have them and plan to take the test kits with me in October (god willing.) You get 6 test/virtual appt for $150. From what I understand a test in Spain is running 100-150 Euros for one test. I will take 3 with me just in case I feel the need to test on the trail. All I need for the virtual visit is wifi.
Me too. I tried one out at home and it was pretty easy to do. I'm leaving Monday and will be taking three as well.

Hey,

I am planning on taking it on the Camino in October. I think since it will not be that hot in October the test should be okay in the packs. I am planning on taking all of them. I did call EMed and asked about it and the person said so long it stays in the range (35.6 to 86) they should be okay.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think you’re quoting a rapid test kit (6) vs Spain’s price is a PCR test. 🧐

We are planning on taking them too. I have not ordered them yet. Have you?

Following your example, I just got my test kits to take with me next week. Good idea!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
These self-test kits would likely be accepted in hostelry and other less formal situations along the way, but it's important to understand that the antigen test for international borders is the one that's done in a lab.

These self-test kits would likely be accepted in hostelry and other less formal situations along the way, but it's important to understand that the antigen test for international borders is the one that's done in a lab.
You can buy an antigen self test that is done with online supervision that is acceptable to travel back to the US.

For example:

You can buy an antigen self test that is done with online supervision that is acceptable to travel back to the US.
OK -- I was thinking of the internal and external borders in the EU.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey,

I am planning on taking it on the Camino in October. I think since it will not be that hot in October the test should be okay in the packs. I am planning on taking all of them. I did call EMed and asked about it and the person said so long it stays in the range (35.6 to 86) they should be okay.
Took me a second to realize you meant F not C temps!! Haha!

I missed something--from whom did you get these test kits and how did you order them? Thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I missed something--from whom did you get these test kits and how did you order them? Thanks.

Just check your airlines. I know the 3 big US airlines accept.

We are flying Iceland Air and I just saw that they don't allow any self-tests. So is the Abbot at home test kit considered a self test?

We are flying Iceland Air and I just saw that they don't allow any self-tests. So is the Abbot at home test kit considered a self test?
It seems that for flying back to the US on Iceland Air that self tests approved by the CDC are allowed:

It is important to note what sort of COVID-19 test result is accepted by each country. For some destinations, only a PCR test result is valid.

Travelers to the US: For the types of tests accepted for travel to the US (including some rapid antigen and self-tests), see the website of the CDC.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks Trecile! Where it gets tricky for us is because we change planes in Iceland we are considered as visiting Iceland and need to meet their requirements. The US requirements seem to be not as strict. I think we'll get tested at home here from our health system and also buy the tests to use on our return.

Last edited:
I know this is all changing rapidly but I wish there was a definition of a self-test kit. If we go to Walgreens to get tested we'll actually do the test ourselves in the drive thru. Only difference I can see between this and the self-test is video vs real time. We're not coming back to the US until the end of October so I wonder how much will have changed by then!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here's an article about two of the self test kits approved by the CDC, and how they actually worked for some travelers.

Good article. Thanks for posting. It looks like the experience with the Abbott test were positive.

I know this is all changing rapidly but I wish there was a definition of a self-test kit
It's confusing, because both the lateral flow self-test and the non-PCR lab test are types of antigen test, though they look for different markers ; and one type of antigen test is via nasal swab whilst another is from blood sampling. An extra source of confusion is that antigen and antibody tests are not the same thing.

In Europe, well the UK, a distinction is made between "lateral flow" and "antigen", the latter meaning the lab test version. In France that's "autotest" versus "test antigénique". But other countries will have other nomenclature standards ...

This according to The Points Guy:
Interestingly enough, the CDC actually has an exception policy built-in for delayed flights to accept an original negative test if your initial departing flight is delayed less than 24 hours past the three-day limit for testing.

“If the initial departing flight in your trip is delayed past the 3-day limit of testing due to a situation outside of your control (e.g., delays because of severe weather or aircraft mechanical problem), and that delay is 24 hours or less past the 3-day limit for testing, you do not need to be retested,” per the CDC. “If the delay is more than 24 hours past the 3-day limit, then you will need to be retested.”

The agency also grants a 48-hour extension for delayed connecting flights.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just returned from Madrid to the US today. Used the emed test. https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack. Very easy, took 20 minutes. A video person walks you through each step, then you wait 15 minutes (can see result in 1 min) then they come back online to verify. You get emailed a certificate and get a barcode on the app. Took it three days before and accepted fine in Madrid airport. Carried in my pack for 12 days (short hike) and no issues with temperature.

We are also hiking in October and purchased eMed test kits……the expiration dates are Oct 5th…I called Abbott and was told certain lot numbers have been extended. Make sure to check the lot number for you test kits.

€149,-
We are also hiking in October and purchased eMed test kits……the expiration dates are Oct 5th…I called Abbott and was told certain lot numbers have been extended. Make sure to check the lot number for you test kits.
2 Questions.
When did you order? I going to order tests from Emed also, but I need them to not expire before end of October.
How long did shipping take? I'm also in the US.
Thanks!

2 Questions.
When did you order? I going to order tests from Emed also, but I need them to not expire before end of October.
How long did shipping take? I'm also in the US.
Thanks!
I am just received them last week. Emed said they could not provide test kits with later expiration dates and offered a refund.

Hey, I received our tests and they have an expiration of October 15th. We will be testing after this date. On the Emed website the expirations dates have been extended per the FDA.

Shelf life has been extended for the BinaxNOW Home Test, please review the letter issued by the FDA here for more information: https://eMed.com/FDA

According to the letter shelf life has been extended to shelf months.

Hey, I received our tests and they have an expiration of October 15th. We will be testing after this date. On the Emed website the expirations dates have been extended per the FDA.

Shelf life has been extended for the BinaxNOW Home Test, please review the letter issued by the FDA here for more information: https://eMed.com/FDA

According to the letter shelf life has been extended to shelf months.
Make sure your Lot Number is one of the test kits extended…..ours was not but I was told by Emed that their “consultants” would not deny our Access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.