• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD COVID Test Timing Question from US (Flying Boston > Porto)

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019, Coastal Portuguese 2022, 1/2 CF Fall 2022
Hi,

I read through the US embassy and Porto tourism web pages and other forum posts, and still have a question about test timing, in particular boarding time. My husband and I are fully vaccinated, and I know we need a negative COVID to enter Portugal by plane. I admit, I am super paranoid about getting this right and have not flown internationally since COVID, so wanted to ask your thoughts...

• Portugal requires PCR / NAAT test 72 hours before boarding or Rapid Antigen / TRAg test 24 hours before boarding
  • My flight is scheduled to depart Tues 5/17 5:25 pm (BOS > CDG >OPO), all the same scheduled flight, via Delta/Air France. I have not been able to locate a boarding time---but assume it's more than a half hour (probably much more for international coach flight).
  • I currently have CVS PCR tests scheduled for 5:10 pm and 5:20 pm this Sat. 5/14 for $139 each (my husband and I are both walking the Camino Portuguese coastal route, thus two appointments). CVS Minute Clinic says test results *should* take 1-2 days, but may take up to 72 hours. I admit, that makes me super nervous! (which is why I booked a Sat. appointment so close to boarding time). I have searched numerous locations and this is the latest I can schedule at a CVS on Sat. I also checked the Boston airport testing location and did not find anything later in the day. Is that cutting it too close?
  • As a backup, I scheduled a Walgreens NAAT test Sun. 5/15 morning appointment with a Rhode Island Walgreens (alas, nothing available in MA!) It's only an hour away, so not so bad.
  • Same Day Testing (https://www.sameday-testing.com/) has some slightly later appointments (until 5:50pm Sat), but more expensive ($175 per test) and more inconvenient (although not as inconvenient as Rhode Island) : )
Questions:
  • Do you think it's OK to keep the CVS appointment and count on it being 72 hours from boarding time?
  • Anyone have any issues with CVS taking longer than 1-2 days?
  • Any issues with Walgreen NAAT? Seem to remember another pilgrim was worried about Walgreen's test being accepted (but cannot remember why...)

Thanks in advance for guidance and for your patience on another COVID test question! I've only done COVID tests for health reasons, not travel, so I am really nervous about getting this right!

A million thanks in advance!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,

I read through the US embassy and Porto tourism web pages and other forum posts, and still have a question about test timing, in particular boarding time. My husband and I are fully vaccinated, and I know we need a negative COVID to enter Portugal by plane. I admit, I am super paranoid about getting this right and have not flown internationally since COVID, so wanted to ask your thoughts...

• Portugal requires PCR / NAAT test 72 hours before boarding or Rapid Antigen / TRAg test 24 hours before boarding
  • My flight is scheduled to depart Tues 5/17 5:25 pm (BOS > CDG >OPO), all the same scheduled flight, via Delta/Air France. I have not been able to locate a boarding time---but assume it's more than a half hour (probably much more for international coach flight).
  • I currently have CVS PCR tests scheduled for 5:10 pm and 5:20 pm this Sat. 5/14 for $139 each (my husband and I are both walking the Camino Portuguese coastal route, thus two appointments). CVS Minute Clinic says test results *should* take 1-2 days, but may take up to 72 hours. I admit, that makes me super nervous! (which is why I booked a Sat. appointment so close to boarding time). I have searched numerous locations and this is the latest I can schedule at a CVS on Sat. I also checked the Boston airport testing location and did not find anything later in the day. Is that cutting it too close?
  • As a backup, I scheduled a Walgreens NAAT test Sun. 5/15 morning appointment with a Rhode Island Walgreens (alas, nothing available in MA!) It's only an hour away, so not so bad.
  • Same Day Testing (https://www.sameday-testing.com/) has some slightly later appointments (until 5:50pm Sat), but more expensive ($175 per test) and more inconvenient (although not as inconvenient as Rhode Island) : )
Questions:
  • Do you think it's OK to keep the CVS appointment and count on it being 72 hours from boarding time?
  • Any issues with Walgreen NAAT? Seem to remember another pilgrim was worried about Walgreen's test being accepted (but cannot remember why...)

Thanks in advance for guidance and for your patience on another COVID test question! I've only done COVID tests for health reasons, not travel, so I am really nervous about getting this right!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

Questions:

I leave for Porto on Wednesday. I just took the covid test at CVS this morning (Monday) because the last test available on Sunday would not be within the 72 hr window. My experience with CVS has been good.

I went to Spain in November 2021 and had a 72 hr window for PCR test. I took the test on a Saturday and received the Results on Sunday; for a Flight on Monday. Hopefully you will have a similar experience. CVS told me today that I should receive results tomorrow.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I leave for Porto on Wednesday. I just took the covid test at CVS this morning (Monday) because the last test available on Sunday would not be within the 72 hr window. My experience with CVS has been good.

I went to Spain in November 2021 and had a 72 hr window for PCR test. I took the test on a Saturday and received the Results on Sunday; for a Flight on Monday. Hopefully you will have a similar experience. CVS told me today that I should receive results tomorrow.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Great to hear it was so speedy. I've only done tests via my doctor's office (associated with a hospital) and the PCRs come through in 24 hours. I wasn't sure about CVS---really appreciate hearing you had a positive experience.

You need to change the test to a location that gives you the results in 2 hrs. And take the test a day before boarding.
Thank you! I initially liked the idea of having a little extra wiggle room (thus booking close to the 72 hour window), but will go with a Sunday appointment (closer to the flight time)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for this feedback! I did not see a price for the Walgreens NAAT and remember someone mentioning free Walgreen tests (and couldn't believe my ears!) : ) I think it's worth the short drive to Rhode Island! : ) For some reason Walgreens NAAT tests are not available in Massachusetts

Last edited:
One other thing.. the PCR tests I took at CVS (in November and today) were free. I am not sure why they were free. I can only assume that the State of California is still paying for the tests or because I am a healthcare worker.

Thanks so much @RJ in CA! I believe here my HMO only covers if I have symptoms, not for travel testing, thus the out of pocket fee. I'm not sure why the Walgreens NAAT ones are free. For some reason Walgreens NAAT tests were only available in RI and NH.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
In Canada, most major airport have Covid testing in the terminal. It’s designed for people who need the results quickly, antigen test results came within 15 minutes - I just got there early for my flight which went to Porto. A quick look showed Covid testing at Boston airport, maybe worth further investigation.

Go to a "real testing facility" and get PCR results in 2 hours.
Due to ridiculous requirements, I have had 27 Covid tests in the last 2 years and received all my PCR test results in 2 to 3 hours.

If you're betting your trip on a cheap or free test,,, good luck!!

Buen Camino,
Bob

Hi,

Questions:

Hello! Why not take a rapid antigen test at the airport? You get the result by email within 15 minutes. You need the test to board the plane. Don't bother with the PCR test, you don't need it. The antigen is quicker and cheaper. Most airports have labs, it's super easy to book them. Hope that helps!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I thought a PCR is the _required test_. Has this changed?
We depart for Madrid this Thursday evening. I will have a PCR test done at 3pm today at Walgreens and pray our results will be sent to me by Wednesday.

I thought a PCR is the _required test_. Has this changed?
This is from the Portuguese government site.

20220510_193040.jpg

No one ever asked to see my test results. I think that maybe they do random checks.
I flew TAP from Heathrow to Lisbon, and they asked to see my vaccination card at the gate.

Hi,

Questions:

Portugal does NOT require negative test any longer, as long as you are fully vaccinated and (I think) boosted. All you need to show is PP and CDC card. I passed through Lisbon on May 5 and had to change planes to Madrid. In Madrid, it seemed like there was no control whatsoever. Maybe because it was a domestic flight?

Portugal does NOT require negative test any longer, as long as you are fully vaccinated and (I think) boosted. All you need to show is PP and CDC card. I passed through Lisbon on May 5 and had to change planes to Madrid. In Madrid, it seemed like there was no control whatsoever. Maybe because it was a domestic flight?
That was also my experience, but they still don't list the US as a country with an accepted vaccination certificate, so I felt more comfortable having my test results with me.

I recall a forum member who is unvaccinated that flew from the US to Portugal. I'm not sure of the rigamorole she went through after arriving in the country, but she publically reported she had finished her Camino and went on to spend time walking in Mallorca.

If you are from the USA or Canada you still require a negative test. I flew in a week ago and had to show it. There is a list of countries that don't require a negative test; you can view that list on the Portuguese website. The airlines may or may not ask to see your test, but according to the Portuguese authorities you need to have it. Best to be on the safe side. Antigen test is fine, PCR not necessary

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This thread may be getting confusing as it no longer deals with flights from Boston / USA to Porto / Portugal but also with other flights with different requirements.

Just a two comments:

To the person who will fly on Thursday to Madrid: If this is a direct flight from the USA to Madrid, you need to look at Spain's requirements. Obviously, if it is a flight with transit in Lisbon, you need to look at Portugal's requirements first and foremost.

Flights from Lisbon to Madrid are not domestic flights. They are international flights albeit within the EU. The passengers will be mostly EU citizens. EU citizens will hold an EU DCC for vaccination if they are vaccinated and they will hold an EU DCC for a negative test if they are not vaccinated and took a pre-flight test as they are required to do. In both cases, as holders of EU DCCs, they are not longer obliged to get the Spanish SpTH QR code; hence no control of this code for them upon arrival in Madrid. There may be random controls of their documentation, however. In any case, control or no control, every passenger on such a flight from Lisbon to Madrid is obliged to have valid documentation for either vaccination, recovery, or negative test.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This thread may be getting confusing as it no longer deals with flights from Boston / USA to Porto / Portugal but also with other flights with different requirements.

Just a two comments:

To the person who will fly on Thursday to Madrid: If this is a direct flight from the USA to Madrid, you need to look at Spain's requirements. Obviously, if it is a flight with transit in Lisbon, you need to look at Portugal's requirements first and foremost.

Flights from Lisbon to Madrid are not domestic flights. They are international flights albeit within the EU. The passengers will be mostly EU citizens. EU citizens will hold an EU DCC for vaccination if they are vaccinated and they will hold an EU DCC for a negative test if they are not vaccinated and took a pre-flight test as they are required to do. In both cases, as holders of EU DCCs, they are not longer obliged to get the Spanish SpTH QR code; hence no control of this code for them upon arrival in Madrid. There may be random controls of their documentation, however. In any case, control or no control, every passenger on such a flight from Lisbon to Madrid is obliged to have valid documentation for either vaccination, recovery, or negative test.
Kathar1na, Thank you for your reply. Yes, my husband and I will fly direct from DC to Madrid. I have all 3 shots but my husband only had 2 after a bad reaction to the 1st booster he didn't want to get the 3rd one. Ugh! We both hope he won't be denied access to Spain. We just took the Walgreen's PCR test so now we hope and pray we receive negative test within the next 24 hours ---if not we'll need to drive over and PAY for a walk-in COIVD test we can get in 15 mins $$ Ugh! This whole preparation for travel has been and is taxing...I pray it all works out and God's light and favor will shine down on us and others for the Camino!

Why jump through hoops. The easiest way is to order/take the Abbott BinaxNow COVID 19 AG Card rapid antigen test at home. It is monitored and meets all requirements. I will pack one in suitcase to take prior to boarding flight from Madrid to USA.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Great to hear it was so speedy. I've only done tests via my doctor's office (associated with a hospital) and the PCRs come through in 24 hours. I wasn't sure about CVS---really appreciate hearing you had a positive experience.
It took 28 hours from the time I took my test yesterday to the time I received my results today from CVS today. And..... Yes it was negative so I guess I am flying to Porto tomorrow. I booked this trip for May 2020; cancelled due to Covid. I booked for May 2021; it was cancelled due to Covid....... I am so happy and greatful I am able to go tomorrow.......

Hope you get your results as quick as I did and ......... Bom Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Canada, most major airport have Covid testing in the terminal. It’s designed for people who need the results quickly, antigen test results came within 15 minutes - I just got there early for my flight which went to Porto. A quick look showed Covid testing at Boston airport, maybe worth further investigation.
Thank you! Yes, the Boston airport has testing in two terminals. It made me a little nervous to cut it so close to the flight. I like the idea of knowing sooner...although it really does not matter, I suppose.

Last edited:
I checked in for my Flight and TAP Airlines Issued me a boarding Pass. I did not upload and documents or answer any questions. That is very strange. I assumed like inthe past that I would have to show docs at the airport before receiving a boarding pass.

Go to a "real testing facility" and get PCR results in 2 hours.
Due to ridiculous requirements, I have had 27 Covid tests in the last 2 years and received all my PCR test results in 2 to 3 hours.

If you're betting your trip on a cheap or free test,,, good luck!!

Buen Camino,
Bob
Thank you! I did not realize you could get PCR results in 2 hours. My previous ones have always taken at least 24 hours (and was told up to 72 hours). Good to know PCR results can take 2 hours, if booked at the right facility.

I do not care about paying for the test. I was just surprised the Walgreens one appeared to be free. I booked the Walgreens one as it was NAAT with 2 hour results.

Thanks for the info on 2 hour PCRs!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why jump through hoops. The easiest way is to order/take the Abbott BinaxNow COVID 19 AG Card rapid antigen test at home. It is monitored and meets all requirements. I will pack one in suitcase to take prior to boarding flight from Madrid to USA.
Thank! This is great information. I did not realize that was an option : )

It took 28 hours from the time I took my test yesterday to the time I received my results today from CVS today. And..... Yes it was negative so I guess I am flying to Porto tomorrow. I booked this trip for May 2020; cancelled due to Covid. I booked for May 2021; it was cancelled due to Covid....... I am so happy and greatful I am able to go tomorrow.......

Hope you get your results as quick as I did and ......... Bom Camino
I am so sorry you had so many rescheduled Caminos, but so happy you are on your way! Bom Camino!!

Thank! This is great information. I did not realize that was an option : )
I believe this is only a option for flying home to US which I’m doing on June. Put in bottom of pack so it doesn’t overheat. Did this last august.

Flying into Portugal the site says a laboratory test is required. This is what I am doing next week as I fly into Lisbon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That was also my experience, but they still don't list the US as a country with an accepted vaccination certificate, so I felt more comfortable having my test results with me.
Correct, US vaccination certificates or CDC card is not recognized, so you need negative test results.

Last edited:
I checked in for my Flight and TAP Airlines Issued me a boarding Pass. I did not upload and documents or answer any questions. That is very strange. I assumed like inthe past that I would have to show docs at the airport before receiving a boarding pass.
Was that an airport check-in? Agreed, it seems strange. I do want to be in compliance, even if I am not asked for the documentation.

Bom Camino!!

For the at home test going back to US, you have to keep it under 85 f. Last August I kept mine near the bottom of my pack and was fine. Just need to be careful not to crush it

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Kathar1na, Thank you for your reply. Yes, my husband and I will fly direct from DC to Madrid. I have all 3 shots but my husband only had 2 after a bad reaction to the 1st booster he didn't want to get the 3rd one. Ugh! We both hope he won't be denied access to Spain. We just took the Walgreen's PCR test so now we hope and pray we receive negative test within the next 24 hours ---if not we'll need to drive over and PAY for a walk-in COIVD test we can get in 15 mins $$ Ugh! This whole preparation for travel has been and is taxing...I pray it all works out and God's light and favor will shine down on us and others for the Camino!
I know it will all work out and that you will have a beautiful pilgrimage! 🌈 I agree, quite taxing, but you are in the home stretch! Buen Camino! 🌈

For the at home test going back to US, you have to keep it under 85 f. Last August I kept mine near the bottom of my pack and was fine. Just need to be careful not to crush it
Thank you! I must say, that makes me a little nervous on temps. I've been watching the Portuguese weather service and there have already been 80 degree days...

Thank you! I must say, that makes me a little nervous on temps. I've been watching the Portuguese weather service and there have already been 80 degree days...
The at home test is a convenience. It it’s not good, there are tests at pharmacies and the airports.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Was that an airport check-in? Agreed, it seems strange. I do want to be in compliance, even if I am not asked for the documentation.

Bom Camino!!
I agree, I did not want to imply the test was not required.

I always test because you never know who or when someone will ask to see the test. When I traveled to Spain, my friends were passed through security in Madrid, but I was one of the 25% who were spot checked. They asked for vaccine records, passenger form (it was required then) and Covid test results. They even took my temperature.

I believe this is only a option for flying home to US which I’m doing on June. Put in bottom of pack so it doesn’t overheat. Did this last august.

Flying into Portugal the site says a laboratory test is required. This is what I am doing next week as I fly into Lisbon.
That's correct. A self test with video observation is fine to return to the US, but not to enter Portugal.

Bom Camino!!
That was my thought too. I wanted to have all possible documentation that I might need, even if I wasn't asked to show it.

That's correct. A self test with video observation is fine to return to the US, but not to enter Portugal.

That was my thought too. I wanted to have all possible documentation that I might need, even if I wasn't asked to show it.
We did an antigen test with video observation to enter Portugal. It was fine. As long as you have an email from a lab confirming you are negative it's fine. Cost $30, result in 15 minutes

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The at home test is a convenience. It it’s not good, there are tests at pharmacies and the airports.
That is a great point! I know there is a chance of false positives with the antigen tests.

Thanks so much, all, for all the information! I As I mentioned, the only time I've had COVID tests, it was via my primary care physician/hospital testing, plus one at home test to check on a sore throat. I definitely learned a lot about COVID test options via this helpful information. Thank you!

Last edited:
We did an antigen test with video observation to enter Portugal. It was fine. As long as you have an email from a lab confirming you are negative it's fine. Cost $30, result in 15 minutes
Thank you for this information! I know Portugal publishes a long list of accepted labs in their COVID guidelines, which gave me pause. Most of our local acute care centers had in-house testing for 2 hour PCRs and sends out regular PCR tests to Quest Diagnostics. I cannot imagine individual acute care labs were on the list. I know I can be too detail-oriented---but after all this planning, I want to make sure my test passes the test! I will try the Walgreens 2 hour NAAT and pray it goes well. I will look into the antigen tests with video observations for the trip home.

Thank you for this information! I know Portugal publishes a long list of accepted labs in their COVID guidelines, which gave me pause. Most of our local acute care centers had in-house testing for 2 hour PCRs and sends out regular PCR tests to Quest Diagnostics. I cannot imagine individual acute care labs were on the list. I know I can be too detail-oriented---but after all this planning, I want to make sure my test passes the test! I will try the Walgreens 2 hour NAAT and pray it goes well. I will look into the antigen tests with video observations for the trip home.
I have read numerous accounts on the TripAdvisor Portugal forums of people using the Walgreens NAAT test with no problems. That's why I used it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone I made it to Porto yesterday

Here is what I found out about testing

Portugal does accept the US vaccine. TAP airlines told me a test is not needed if you have had your vaccine within 9 months of travel. You only need a negative test if you are unvaccinated.

For me it was no problem because I would always test before traveling even if not required, but I’d you are having to jump through hoops to to get a vaccine check with the airline u are flying to be sure u need it.

Got my credential and first stamp at the cathedral

Sightseeing today and will begin walking tomorrow

88071E1C-EF56-42F6-B302-F52CC221F221.jpeg

We flew from San Francisco to Lisboa on May 4 after worrying about Covid testing and getting our results ready to show. No one there or here asked for negative tests. Vaccination card was checked in San Francisco, not in Lisboa.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have read numerous accounts on the TripAdvisor Portugal forums of people using the Walgreens NAAT test with no problems. That's why I used it.
Thanks! That is what I ended up using. All went very smoothly!

This is from the Portuguese government site.

View attachment 124900

No one ever asked to see my test results. I think that maybe they do random checks.
I flew TAP from Heathrow to Lisbon, and they asked to see my vaccination card at the gate.
How did you find TAP? I'm thinking of flying with them from Dublin to Lisbon next month 👍

How did you find TAP? I'm thinking of flying with them from Dublin to Lisbon next month 👍
TAP were fine. I've also flown on TAP from Lisbon to San Francisco with no problems.

Since this is a thread about the timing of Covid tests to enter Portugal uI want to point out that they are no longer required.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.