• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid testing at Madrid airport

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP > Santiago - 2016
Porto > Santiago - 2018
My wife and I just got antigen tests at the airport, T4 2nd floor, We had made appointments arrived over an hour early. Many people who didn’t have appointments were lined up, but they took us in and very efficiently did the antigen tests and as promised, we had results by email in 20 minutes. They offer paper copies if you need them by coming back to the front desk.
Do make an appointment online if possible, but they were working with the walk ups as well. It was a good experience, the people we worked with spoke English too!

TravelCovidtestcenter.com

¡Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and I just got antigen tests at the airport, T4 2nd floor, We had made appointments arrived over an hour early. Many people who didn’t have appointments were lined up, but they took us in and very efficiently did the antigen tests and as promised, we had results by email in 20 minutes. They offer paper copies if you need them by coming back to the front desk.
Do make an appointment online if possible, but they were working with the walk ups as well. It was a good experience, the people we worked with spoke English too!

¡Buen Camino!
Is this mandatory when you land in Madrid?

¡Buen Camino!
Thank you for this info. How much did they charge? Were you doing this for re entry into the US?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
No the above I have described is for departing passengers. I guess arrivals requirements will depend on where you have arrived from.

I decided to order a test online with a FaceTime assistant. I did this because the appointments at the Madrid airport didn't coincide with my flights from SdC and USA. Delta recommended a test by "ellume." How it works is: you order the test at home (I have it now, it took 2 days to reach me). Yes, I'll have to pack it, but I'm using luggage transport, so I have room. 3 days before departure, I have to take the test. When you order the test, you choose a time that your consultant will be able to Face Time with you. I'll be in Santiago on that day, so I made sure I had a hotel with good internet. The consultant watches you open and perform the test, the call is closed and when you insert the swab into a pod (analyzer), which connects to their app, in 15 minutes it sends the results directly to your phone. This can be shown to the airline upon boarding. The company sent an additional test kit for free, in case something happens or the test in inaccurate.

¡Buen Camino!
Thanks for this helpful information. Will be flying from US to Madrid in 4wks. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

¡Buen Camino!
I would add, I am pretty sure that antigen tests are not what is required going back into Canada. I think it has to be a pcr. There is a list of approved tests for travel on the B3D2D2A9-06A3-451D-9E5D-74CF34597D17.png3C9721A7-2B23-4565-AA70-24EE820C306B.png7D2BA72B-F33F-4AA5-9305-C740FC22BBCE.pngCanadian Government website.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have you found out this information? I head out of Madrid airport to JFK in less than 2 weeks.
25 euros. Did it this morning. In and out in two minutes, albeit with a reservation at 5:30am. Had the results in my email less than ten minutes later. (Negative, fortunately enough.) I'll add that if you can't get a reservation, walk-ins were being waved right in at 5:30... and hey, in Madrid that's right before bed time!

The web site leads right to the payment then.... a visa and mastercard icons with a disabled entry form. 3 different browsers. If I click without payment, it prompts for a password for a returning customer. But I didn't sign up as a customer and the password reset button doesn't work. Very frustrating site indeed.

upon inspecting the payment subform, I see that it is a woocommerce plugin. The error is

DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for https://travelcovidtestcenter.com/wp-content/litespeed/cssjs/style.min.css.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE

Last edited:

€149,-
The web site leads right to the payment then.... a visa and mastercard icons with a disabled entry form. 3 different browsers. If I click without payment, it prompts for a password for a returning customer. But I didn't sign up as a customer and the password reset button doesn't work. Very frustrating site indeed.

upon inspecting the payment subform, I see that it is a woocommerce plugin. The error is

DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for https://travelcovidtestcenter.com/wp-content/litespeed/cssjs/style.min.css.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE
I finally gave up on the website and went directly to the airport and got in the line for those without reservations. It wasn’t too long of a wait.

I decided to order a test online with a FaceTime assistant. I did this because the appointments at the Madrid airport didn't coincide with my flights from SdC and USA. Delta recommended a test by "ellume." How it works is: you order the test at home (I have it now, it took 2 days to reach me). Yes, I'll have to pack it, but I'm using luggage transport, so I have room. 3 days before departure, I have to take the test. When you order the test, you choose a time that your consultant will be able to Face Time with you. I'll be in Santiago on that day, so I made sure I had a hotel with good internet. The consultant watches you open and perform the test, the call is closed and when you insert the swab into a pod (analyzer), which connects to their app, in 15 minutes it sends the results directly to your phone. This can be shown to the airline upon boarding. The company sent an additional test kit for free, in case something happens or the test in inaccurate.
We used the online-assisted rapid COVID test for return to USA: My husband and I flew from Madrid to USA on United Airlines two weeks ago and we used the NAVICA online COVID testing service and Abbot Labs quick tests that United had recommended. We ordered & received the kits at home in USA and carried them in our transported bag on the Camino. Each test kit was about the size and weight of a DVD movie in its case.

We had a good experience, though it felt awkward at the time. It was easy to test and get results; here are some points for others using this method:
- need good wifi
- need at least an hour
- must happen 72 hours or less before the scheduled flight time.
- need to connect with the proctor and have the device camera show the test kit’s id, then show you opening the kit, then swabbing your nose,
- need to keep the camera on the kit, and online, while it processes for 15 minutes.

The test proctors talked as if we had a laptop with a camera whose position we could adjust, which we did not have. You need to use both hands to open the packages in view of your camera. You need to swab your nose for the camera. Then you need to keep the test kit, on a table or desk, visible to the camera for the 15 minutes it takes before results are known. We used the camera of an iPad mini, propped up by a hiking shoe.

This could be more difficult for one person to do alone with a single mobile phone than it was for two of us with a couple of devices.

We tested negative, and had no problems. The NAVICA service emailed an official results document within a very few minutes. It was easy to upload that official document to United’s system, where someone checked it and approved it within half an hour. Airline staff in Madrid asked for proof of a negative COVID test again at check-in. It helps to save that official document as a photo on the mobile phone for easy access. There was no need to print it.

One more note: We thought we needed 2 tests each, in case something failed, and pricing was 2 for $99 or 6 for $150, so we bought 6. They worked fine, first time, so we have 4 spare kits now.

Blessings and ¡Buen Camino, peregrinos!

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back