• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid testing for Spain April 2022

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

JanPhoenix

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2017), Portugués (2018), Norte (2023)
We just downloaded the spth.gob.es app and filled out for our 11 Abril 2022 flight to Spain to do the Camino del Norte. I went through the tutorial and read all the stuff, but could not figure out if a PCR test is needed for Spain. As many of you who are traveling now know, the last page of the spth says that you are done for now and to stay tuned to receiving a correspondence from them 48 hours prior to the flight--and presumably the bar code, and whatever else is needed to get the barcode. We did not have to upload our U.S. Vaccine cards yet (I'm assuming we do that within the 48 hours?). Makes me kind of nervous not knowing what is needed. They said that all info had to be current within 24 hours prior to the flight, and if that is so, it probably means getting a PCR test right at the airport, which is $250. Unless we can do our own antigen test, which I kind of doubt. Any experience with this that is very current? Thanks, Jan from Phoenix

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To Spain - no COVID test required if vaccinated and boosted. Return to the US - COVID test still required. Airplane - just double check airlines but you should be fine.

I did the second stage yesterday (needs to be <48 hours before your trip). You simply have to give details of your vaccination (other possibilities are possible, eg if you can document prior infection etc.). Then they issue with a QR code to show when you arrive. I think you may also need to carry documentation of the vaccinations - at least that is what I am doing. A lot of this stuff you can do on your mobile but I prefer to print stuff out just in case...As others have mentioned, no need to do a test pre-arrival.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
To Spain - no COVID test required if vaccinated and boosted. Return to the US - COVID test still required. Airplane - just double check airlines but you should be fine.
All the major US airline CEOs have written the President to drop the pre-arrival test for the vaccinated, as many countries have. Not a political statement, but…🙏🙏🙏.

All the major US airline CEOs have written the President to drop the pre-arrival test for the vaccinated, as many countries have. Not a political statement, but…🙏🙏🙏.
Yes - I was glad for the restrictions before - but it has been 2 full years now of COVID - and it is time for at least the fully vaccinated/boosted to be allowed to return to the US without COVID testing. (Not going to get into the debate regarding vaccinated/non-vaccinated). Hoping this changes before my return flight home. Not that getting COVID testing was hard in Spain last summer - but I had to waste a lot of time and money getting tested. The testing locations were not conveniently located to where I was staying and then had to pay extra for fast results. It was funny though - I looked up the nearest location and I thought "should I take the bus or walk?". After walking SJPDP to Finisterre - I decided "It's ONLY 7 miles - may as well walk!" Haha And I did.

I just flew to Spain on Fri Mar24 from SFO/San Francisco via JFK/New York to Madrid. Agree the Spain SPTH site was confusing. 48 hrs before, I just had to fill in my vaccination dates info and JFK-MAD flight #/seat # to get the QR code. I still brought copy of my vaccination card just in case. At SFO American Airlines asked me to show I had QR code & vaccination card, at JFK Iberia asked me to show QR code only, and upon arriving MAD, after passing through customs with passport, the health check just quickly scanned my QR code - pretty fast/efficient.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just flew to Spain on Fri Mar24 from SFO/San Francisco via JFK/New York to Madrid. Agree the Spain SPTH site was confusing. 48 hrs before, I just had to fill in my vaccination dates info and JFK-MAD flight #/seat # to get the QR code. I still brought copy of my vaccination card just in case. At SFO American Airlines asked me to show I had QR code & vaccination card, at JFK Iberia asked me to show QR code only, and upon arriving MAD, after passing through customs with passport, the health check just quickly scanned my QR code - pretty fast/efficient.
Really appreciate all this up to date info! Thank you, fellow peregrinos!

Just catching up on this thread as our departure to Spain (29 April) approaches. What do you veterans recommend as far as getting a Covid test before we return to the U.S.? CDC site says you can do a self-test if you do it with a telehealth expert online. Anyone tried this? Or is it just easier (if costlier) to get a test at a testing site in Madrid?

Just catching up on this thread as our departure to Spain (29 April) approaches. What do you veterans recommend as far as getting a Covid test before we return to the U.S.? CDC site says you can do a self-test if you do it with a telehealth expert online. Anyone tried this? Or is it just easier (if costlier) to get a test at a testing site in Madrid?
I know that @Susan Peacock has used the Binax test with video observation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was on a return flight from Mexico in late March. Based on my airline's web site, I went with one of their recommended Covid online telehealth provider. Fortunately, latter uses one of the US Govt's supplied home test kit. So, I just paid $20 for the video observation. The results were then updated/uploaded on their Phone App (incl PDF file). The (airline) staff were conversant with said PDF file as they knew which part of the doc to zoom in, to check the specific details.

I will be travelling to Spain later this year, and after booking my flight, I will check said airline's web page to determine their approach for re-entry back to USA.

Last edited:
Hello, just reading this thread regarding testing. I am understanding SPain doesn't require any testing to entry the county. My husband and I will start our Camino on May 5th from SJPP, we know we need to meet France's requirement, so after SJPP we don't need to be concern when crossing the border, any advise?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.