• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid Testing

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances September 2022
For the pilgrims leaving SdC to come to the USA, is it better to get the COVID-19 exit test in Madrid airport or in SdC? I see most folks talk about getting it in Madrid, but I don't know why getting SdC is not discussed. Seems like it would be easier to get in SdC instead of rushing at Madrid.

Also do most folks take flight into/out of SdC from Madrid or other airport or take a train or bus?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, @sebastian606, welcome to the forum!

I think there are several factors that lead people to choose between Santiago and Madrid, but I don’t think there are any obvious reasons why one place would be preferable to the other.

If it works best for you to get the test in Santiago, and then travel to Madrid for your flight home, no reason to change that plan. If cost is a factor, the tests in the Madrid airport are about half the cost of the tests in Santiago, where Antigen tests run around 50€ and PCR tests about €100. You can easily use email to set up an appointment in Santiago for a test on the day that works for you.

Also do most folks take flight into/out of SdC from Madrid or other airport or take a train or bus?
Again, I think you will find a huge variation among forum members.

In recent years, I have always bought a round trip ticket whose return trip was Santiago-Madrid-Chicago-home. Having it all on one ticket is the only way I would do that, because if they are separate tickets, and you miss your connection in Madrid, you will be out a LOT Of money.

But this year, everything seemed so uncertain and constantly changing, I decided to buy my international ticket in and out of Madrid and worry about the details later. I have tentatively scheduled to take the train from Santiago to Madrid rather than fly. That way, if I don’t arrive in Santiago for whatever reason, I only have to worry about getting to Madrid, rather than trying to rebook a ticket from Santiago. But that’s just my preference, others will have figured out different ways to deal with the uncertainty.

I see under your avatar that you are planning to walk in 2022, in which case nothing that I just said will be up to date or accurate when you are planning your travel. :)

Hi, @sebastian606, welcome to the forum!

I think there are several factors that lead people to choose between Santiago and Madrid, but I don’t think there are any obvious reasons why one place would be preferable to the other.

If it works best for you to get the test in Santiago, and then travel to Madrid for your flight home, no reason to change that plan. If cost is a factor, the tests in the Madrid airport are about half the cost of the tests in Santiago, where Antigen tests run around 50€ and PCR tests about €100. You can easily use email to set up an appointment in Santiago for a test on the day that works for you.

Again, I think you will find a huge variation among forum members.

In recent years, I have always bought a round trip ticket whose return trip was Santiago-Madrid-Chicago-home. Having it all on one ticket is the only way I would do that, because if they are separate tickets, and you miss your connection in Madrid, you will be out a LOT Of money.

But this year, everything seemed so uncertain and constantly changing, I decided to buy my international ticket in and out of Madrid and worry about the details later. I have tentatively scheduled to take the train from Santiago to Madrid rather than fly. That way, if I don’t arrive in Santiago for whatever reason, I only have to worry about getting to Madrid, rather than trying to rebook a ticket from Santiago. But that’s just my preference, others will have figured out different ways to deal with the uncertainty.

I see under your avatar that you are planning to walk in 2022, in which case nothing that I just said will be up to date or accurate when you are planning your travel. :)
@peregrina2000 Thank you for your informative response. I know things will be way different in April 2022, LOL. Trying to plan and learn. We only have 3 weeks total as my husband and I are still working. We will have to make a few trips in order to finish the whole Camino Frances. Thank you again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back