• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID Covid tests if connecting through London airports

Darleen Taylor

Time of past OR future Camino
Can anyone tell me if a PCR test is required for a fully vaccinated Canadian transitting through Gatwick to Spain. I have spent hours on different sites and can't seem to find an answer. I realize it is not required to enter Spain, but am concerned that I might need one on arrival in Gatwick. Our connecting flight to Barcelona is within 3 hours of arrival in Gatwick.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank-you Tincatinker. If I am reading and understanding this correctly it appears I will need to have a negative PCR test transiting either 'airside' or landside'.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank-you Tincatinker. If I am reading and understanding this correctly it appears I will need to have a negative PCR test transiting either 'airside' or landside'.
I used to draft Government guidance. I'm glad I cannot be blamed for this farago. If you transit air-side you have not entered England. Therefore the requirements for entry into England do not apply.

The rules in this country will change again on the 19 July and probably subsequently. I would advise checking the website 48 hours before your flight.

That said you might decide that possession of a negative PCR at your point of transit would be a worthwhile precaution.

I used to draft Government guidance. I'm glad I cannot be blamed for this farago. If you transit air-side you have not entered England. Therefore the requirements for entry into England do not apply.

The rules in this country will change again on the 19 July and probably subsequently. I would advise checking the website 48 hours before your flight.

That said you might decide that possession of a negative PCR at your point of transit would be a worthwhile precaution.
First of all, thank-you so much. If I might test your vast knowledge on the subject a little more. I will be flying into the north terminal on Westjet, and my connecting flight is on Vueling which flies out of the south terminal. Do you know if I would be 'entering' England when transferring between terminals?

Hmm, probably. I’m not aware of an air-side transfer between the terminals. There’s a rapid transit train but that is definitely land-side. Might be worth asking your airline what the transfer options are. Border Control processes are very protracted at present. Three hours for inbound BC, transit and outbound flight security will likely be tight. Good luck

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmm, probably. I’m not aware of an air-side transfer between the terminals. There’s a rapid transit train but that is definitely land-side. Might be worth asking your airline what the transfer options are. Border Control processes are very protracted at present. Three hours for inbound BC, transit and outbound flight security will likely be tight. Good luck
Thanks so much. That is what I feared. We do have over 5 hours between flights, so should be ample time. I think you are correct in advising a covid test anyway. Better safe than sorry!!

Thanks so much. That is what I feared. We do have over 5 hours between flights, so should be ample time. I think you are correct in advising a covid test anyway. Better safe than sorry!!
Just found out Gatwick does have air-side transfer between terminals, but only if both flights are on the same ticket. Unfortunately mine are not, so I will require a PCR. Thanks again for all your help!!

I have exactly the same problem: arriving in Heathrow on Air Canada and transferring to British Airways to fly on to Spain. A British Airways employee absolutely, and very rudely, refused to say anything about how I might negotiate that process in a time of pandemic. Unless there is a major lifting of restrictions before I fly out of Calgary on Sept. 9, I shall fly with a recent negative PCR test in my possession.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have exactly the same problem: arriving in Heathrow on Air Canada and transferring to British Airways to fly on to Spain. A British Airways employee absolutely, and very rudely, refused to say anything about how I might negotiate that process in a time of pandemic. Unless there is a major lifting of restrictions before I fly out of Calgary on Sept. 9, I shall fly with a recent negative PCR test in my possession.
Nothing is easy right now. Countries want to open up, the airlines want passengers, but I can certainly understand why the public is not travelling.

Just found out Gatwick does have air-side transfer between terminals, but only if both flights are on the same ticket. Unfortunately mine are not, so I will require a PCR. Thanks again for all your help!!
You may be able to use the air-side transfer, provided you have your boarding pass for the Vueling flight and you do not have any checked luggage.

The following text is from the flight connections page of the LGW website:
1. If your hold bags are through checked or you’re travelling with hand luggage only and you have your boarding pass, simply follow signs for International Flight Connections*. There is no need to clear Passport Control or Customs.

No mention of same ticket (same PNR) requirement.

Hand luggage only is the way to go in my opinion. It may mean that you must leave your poles behind or send them ahead. A 3 hour window for a separate ticket cross-terminal connection can feel quite tight if your first flight is delayed. Better not to have to deal with checked luggage, passport control, customs, etc..

I have only hand luggage and I know what "air side" means, but I don't have any information as to where at Heathrow my flight from Calgary will land, or my flight to Valencia take off. I believe there is also some sort of form to fill out and forward before departure. It is impossible, given the total lack of available information, to know whether this form applies to me. If it does, I still shall not know whether I shall be transiting landside or airside. It seems safer to fulfill the most difficult option: the PCR test, although I feel that the whole system is set up to produce secret glee in government emplyees, who are competing to reject the most travellers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You may be able to use the air-side transfer, provided you have your boarding pass for the Vueling flight and you do not have any checked luggage.

The following text is from the flight connections page of the LGW website:

No mention of same ticket (same PNR) requirement.

Hand luggage only is the way to go in my opinion. It may mean that you must leave your poles behind or send them ahead. A 3 hour window for a separate ticket cross-terminal connection can feel quite tight if your first flight is delayed. Better not to have to deal with checked luggage, passport control, customs, etc..
We will be travelling with hand luggage only, so perhaps we will be OK. Thanks

I have only hand luggage and I know what "air side" means, but I don't have any information as to where at Heathrow my flight from Calgary will land, or my flight to Valencia take off. I believe there is also some sort of form to fill out and forward before departure. It is impossible, given the total lack of available information, to know whether this form applies to me. If it does, I still shall not know whether I shall be transiting landside or airside. It seems safer to fulfill the most difficult option: the PCR test, although I feel that the whole system is set up to produce secret glee in government emplyees, who are competing to reject the most travellers.
At the risk of sounding as unhelpful as the people who helped you so far, may I suggest that this be moved to a thread of its own? I suggest this because the two airports have significant differences. What applies to Gatwick does not necessarily apply to Heathrow.

We will be travelling with hand luggage only, so perhaps we will be OK. Thanks
When the time comes, I recommend having a printed copy of the boarding pass AND an electronic copy (install the Vueling app to your phone). And PCR test certs.

Belt and braces.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back