• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID Update from Santiago

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Ivar for your update and good news re covid 19. I hope to be at OCebreio this friday to continue my camino and your news is good and encouraging.

Thank you very much Ivar for your weekly update. Good to see you and a bit of Santiago. Glad to hear the numbers are reducing and that you are safe and well.

Thank you so much for the encouraging update and quick view of the square ( solemn, but lovely and sorely missed ) We are stuck in a crisis of ignorance in the US. There will be no travel for me for awhile. Will keep you, Ivar and all of Spain in my prayers...Stay well

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My wife and I were to land in Madrid today, then start our 4th camino from St Jean on Friday. This is postponed until Sept 2021. Really enjoy the updates from Ivar to keep us informed and connected. Bob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for these updates..wishing you health and happiness...and greetings fromColorado....I love seeing Santiago again in your video....was there in 2017 and am supposed to be there now.....

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I love your weekly blogcasts from Santiago and I hate to dilute your optimism about declining coronavirus figures for Spain. However, what you are seeing is a major change in the way Spanish coronavirus data is collected and reported, not a decline in infections. Since the beginning of September, the daily figures only include cases already validated by the Ministry of Health in their pdf report. Initially this gives a number of daily cases approximately 50% of those reported by the previous system. In the new system the full number of daily cases take over a week to be validated. When this has been done, the figures for the previous week are adjusted upward. As a result, making a comparison of last week (using the unadjusted figure) with the previous week's data (which will by then have been adjusted) will always show an apparent decline. All this is described by the Johns Hopkins University daily report which reports and comments on coronavirus data from every world country. If you click on this and follow the link in the figures for Spain to source, the official Spanish figures appear together with a health warning about the data. The unfortunate position is that infections in Spain are now growing again rapidly, as they are in neighbouring France and now also in the UK.

The R number shows the rate of change in the number of weekly infections. If the data shows an apparent decline of 50% (which it does), the R number will be 0.5 (which it is). Sadly this does not reflect what is actually happening. The famous quote popularised by American author Mark Twain comes to mind....'There are three kinds of lie; lies, damn lies and statistics'.

I love your weekly blogcasts from Santiago and I hate to dilute your optimism about declining coronavirus figures for Spain. However, what you are seeing is a major change in the way Spanish coronavirus data is collected and reported, not a decline in infections. Since the beginning of September, the daily figures only include cases already validated by the Ministry of Health in their pdf report. Initially this gives a number of daily cases approximately 50% of those reported by the previous system. In the new system the full number of daily cases take over a week to be validated. When this has been done, the figures for the previous week are adjusted upward. As a result, making a comparison of last week (using the unadjusted figure) with the previous week's data (which will by then have been adjusted) will always show an apparent decline. All this is described by the Johns Hopkins University daily report which reports and comments on coronavirus data from every world country. If you click on this and follow the link in the figures for Spain to source, the official Spanish figures appear together with a health warning about the data. The unfortunate position is that infections in Spain are now growing again rapidly, as they are in neighbouring France and now also in the UK.

The R number shows the rate of change in the number of weekly infections. If the data shows an apparent decline of 50% (which it does), the R number will be 0.5 (which it is). Sadly this does not reflect what is actually happening. The famous quote popularised by American author Mark Twain comes to mind....'There are three kinds of lie; lies, damn lies and statistics'.
Yes ,indeed Mike .The Mark Twain quote springs to mind also when thinking about the Covid 19 situation in the UK and the statistics therein.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Norte 2023 was the first time I actually put some training into Camino. I walked a lot of stairs at home, a lot. First week in Spain was mountains and mud. After that it was pratically all...
Hi everyone! We're a family from Latvia, starting our 2nd Camino de Santiago. We walked the central Portugese route 1,5 years ago, and will walk the coastal route this time. The first day on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back