• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid update thoughts? 2022

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynnhardy

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello pilgrims , in my crazy panic for information on which route? Will albergues be open? Cost? Flights times? Weather? Raincoat or umbrella or both! Really important things! I appear to have forgotten ‘Covid’ ?? The elephant in the room. What is the situation regards precautions in albergues? What precautions are you Pilgrims taking when walking Caminos 2022? Thoughts on walking 2022 with regards covid? Reply’s Much appreciated . Thank you Lynn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello pilgrims , in my crazy panic for information on which route? Will albergues be open? Cost? Flights times? Weather? Raincoat or umbrella or both! Really important things! I appear to have forgotten ‘Covid’ ?? The elephant in the room. What is the situation regards precautions in albergues? What precautions are you Pilgrims taking when walking Caminos 2022? Thoughts on walking 2022 with regards covid? Reply’s Much appreciated . Thank you Lynn
Hi Lynn,

I'll mention my experience on the Camino during COVID. I walked 12 days on the Francis (Astorga-SDC) last October 2021. I took the same precautions I would at home which include hand sanitizer, washing hands, masking when indoors and not eating or drinking, and social distancing when possible. I did stay in private rooms the entire way, but that was more out of comfort than safety. I can tell you that the route was packed with people and most Albergues were open, but some with limited capacity. I never felt any extra worry about COVID. It was a very enjoyable Camino and I will be back to do the Ingles in May.

I’m going to continue taking precautions like I do at home. If I walk into a bar and it’s super crowded I’ll probably walk back out. I’m not comfortable in large crowds yet.

But I am also aware that Spain is safer than my own country, not only in terms of violent crime but also in terms of population properly vaxxed. My biggest concern is the airports (plane air is pretty safe). I’m bringing alllll the Clorox wipes for every surface I have to touch.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My biggest concern is the airports (plane air is pretty safe). I’m bringing alllll the Clorox wipes for every surface I have to touch.

Good practice and advice for any travel involving airports and airplanes, whether or not one factors Covid into the equation. I remember reading a study somewhere that said that tray tables on airplanes were among the most germ-covered surfaces one could encounter; I'd find a link to a source and post it here, but just thinking about it makes me queasy 🤢

I’ve been in Spain a couple of times in the last six months, at language school; and am about to set off on Camino in a week’s time.

I’ll carry a mask and be prepared to wear it at any time it feels appropriate and I’ve maintained a regular ‘hand sanitiser’ habit.

I’m using private rooms, as is my habit; and I’ll avoid crowded places when there is an alternative.

I think you’re in the UK? It’ll feel strange going from our deregulated environment through airports which are still requiring masks. Some airlines still enforce mask-wearing, others do not.

Spain (Malaga specifically) seemed to rely on common sense. Consider how sensible the average person is; then realise that precisely half the people are less sensible than that.

My opinion (nothing more): covid is now endemic. At some point we have to accept that we’re living with it. That’s not an excuse for not taking such precautions as you see fit.

Buen Camino.

I walked 1,150 kilometers from Sevilla to Muxia and FInisterre from mid October- mid December 2021. Most albergue kitchens were closed so I had to eat out alot more. I think that is changing for the better. I called ahead to make sure an albergue would be open the following night. It was especially important because the VDLP has so few options. When it came to mask wearing I just followed the examples of the local people which was that almost everyone everywhere in towns were wearing masks. It wasn't as strictly enforced in many albergues i stayed in.
My opinion (nothing more): covid is now endemic. At some point we have to accept that we’re living with it. That’s not an excuse for not taking such precautions as you see fit.
This is an opinion I completely agree with (nothing more ;) ).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Everything is open, masks are only required when you walk and go indoors. We have been staying in private rooms.

Good practice and advice for any travel involving airports and airplanes, whether or not one factors Covid into the equation. I remember reading a study somewhere that said that tray tables on airplanes were among the most germ-covered surfaces one could encounter; I'd find a link to a source and post it here, but just thinking about it makes me queasy 🤢
Every flight I have been in since covid, the steward gave a sanitation wipe for all your surfaces like tray tables etc.

I am taking masks with me. I also always carry a pack of sanitation wipes for personal hygiene, and will use them onboard transportation, including on planes. Going in a week's time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Everything is open, masks are only required when you walk and go indoors. We have been staying in private rooms.
Are masks required (or common) when you are actually outside walking the Camino?

I will keep up with vaccination requirements and boosters as available, follow masking protocols, use hand sanitizer, and eat outdoors when outdoor seating is available and weather permits. That is essentially what I did last year when I went. I have eaten in crowded restaurants at home now - so will not be afraid to do so in Spain.

Social distancing will be part of my plan with locals (out of respect for their health) and probably most pilgrims that I don't become close friends with. However, last year there were about 30 of us walking the same stages and we became an extended Camino family. We were alway in and out of each others orbits, sharing rooms, sharing meals, and walking together sometimes. This summer will be harder. First of all - last summer I knew exactly who was vaccinated and who wasn't (most of us were) and while vaccinated folks can still get COVID and spread COVID - there was some degree of comfort knowing that most of us would not get very ill from COVID. This year there will be many more pilgrims and vaccination status is likely not to be as big of a topic of conversation (last year it was because Spain had just opened to us vaccinated folks). It will be interesting to see what kind of Camino families form this year. I certainly wouldn't expect to know and interact with everyone if it is much more crowded as I am expecting it to be.

As for the albergues - blankets were usually not offered, kitchens were usually closed, communal meals were often not happening and beds were at half capacity, MANY albergues were closed, as were many bars. It was hard to find early morning breakfast if you didn't eat at your albergue - so I found myself needing to stop at more grocery stores (and buy foods not requiring cooking). This year I would expect it to be a lot busier and perhaps I may see less of these issues - but still planning in case this is still the case. Especially the need to carry some snacks for early morning (I have a hard time eating as soon as I wake up - so often skip albergue breakfasts).

Overall though - not stressing about COVID at all. As long as some deadlier variant doesn't emerge anyway.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We took some comfort by confirming that Albergues continue to operate at half capacity and require masks where 1.5 meter social distance can not be assured. We look forward to being out in fresh air most of the day and wil continue to think of others first by sanitizing, mask wearing and social distancing, as needed.

We have never planned or booked anything on previous caminos, the big difference for us will be: 1) booking ahead 3-5 days, and 2) knowing our options in the case we're uncomfortable with Easter week numbers as we near Santiago. We have attended Holy Week celebration in Seville and Burgos, so we may even start further away to avoid the crowds.

Having been on the Francis in March 2020, we hope the new variants continue to be relatively mild, and that the over stressed healthcare workers can get a break and back to something close to normal.

Buen Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.