• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Covid vs the "Camino Crud"?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD

Becky 59

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2018, 2021, CI 2019, CP 2022
I walked the Camino Frances this fall (Sept 15-Nov 2), and was pleased to find very responsible perigrinos along the route when it came to Covid prevention behaviors. Especially early on before the weather got too cold overnight, I found lots of fellow pilgrims were willing to keep windows open overnight in the albergues, for air circulation and to minimize the build-up of aerosol contagious particles.

Most pilgrims are familiar with the "Camino Crud": the cold or cough that seems to catch up with many of us after awhile, sharing sleeping space with so many people. Part-way across the Meseta I developed a scratchy throat, then a cough and runny nose...I was staying in Sahagun at the Santa Cruz Monastery (nice folks!), and one of the staff priests came with me to the Urgencias in town so I could get tested for Covid. The medical staff had me stay outside on a waiting bench, and after taking my US passport information (since I had no EU medical card), they did a rapid PCR test, and brought the results outside to me within 20-30 minutes. (All for no charge!) Thankfully negative: I just had the Camino Crud. Had it been positive I would have quarantined myself; as it was, I booked private rooms for the next several days until the "Crud" cleared up.

I talked with several other pilgrims who had similar experiences, had themselves tested for Covid, and fortunately had negative tests. A take-home message seems to be that the "Camino Crud" is alive and well, even with masks and hand-washing, but Covid was blessedly scarce or absent from the Camino, at least while I was there.

I also discovered that with a late fall Camino, the overnight temperatures (especially near Foncebadon and O Cebriero!) are VERY cold, and cracking windows open for ventilation would make for horribly uncomfortable and cold nights, even with my down blanket, and maybe even lynching by fellow pilgrims! :cool:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have only heard of one case, of a peregrina, being infected with SARS-CoV-2 on the Camino in 2021.

Though several did get infected by it in 2020.

I carried the abbott test with me this fall, so I could test in case I got the Camino crude. I figured I wouldn't necessarily be in a town with COVID testing should I feel sick. Luckily, I didn't get sick and only used it to get back into the US.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Camino Frances this fall (Sept 15-Nov 2), and was pleased to find very responsible perigrinos along the route when it came to Covid prevention behaviors. Especially early on before the weather got too cold overnight, I found lots of fellow pilgrims were willing to keep windows open overnight in the albergues, for air circulation and to minimize the build-up of aerosol contagious particles.
That terminology aside, this is good to hear.

And this. 🙏

was staying in Sahagun at the Santa Cruz Monastery (nice folks!), and one of the staff priests came with me to the Urgencias in town so I could get tested for Covid. The medical staff had me stay outside on a waiting bench, and after taking my US passport information (since I had no EU medical card), they did a rapid PCR test, and brought the results outside to me within 20-30 minutes. (All for no charge!) Thankfully negative:

Most pilgrims are familiar with the "Camino Crud": the cold or cough that seems to catch up with many of us after awhile, sharing sleeping space with so many people. Part-way across the Meseta I developed a scratchy throat, then a cough and runny nose...I was staying in Sahagun at the Santa Cruz Monastery (nice folks!), and one of the staff priests came with me to the Urgencias in town so I could get tested for Covid. The medical staff had me stay outside on a waiting bench, and after taking my US passport information (since I had no EU medical card), they did a rapid PCR test, and brought the results outside to me within 20-30 minutes. (All for no charge!) Thankfully negative: I just had the Camino Crud. Had it been positive I would have quarantined myself; as it was, I booked private rooms for the next several days until the "Crud" cleared up.

I talked with several other pilgrims who had similar experiences, had themselves tested for Covid, and fortunately had negative tests. A take-home message seems to be that the "Camino Crud" is alive and well, even with masks and hand-washing, but Covid was blessedly scarce or absent from the Camino, at least while I was there.

I also discovered that with a late fall Camino, the overnight temperatures (especially near Foncebadon and O Cebriero!) are VERY cold, and cracking windows open for ventilation would make for horribly uncomfortable and cold nights, even with my down blanket, and maybe even lynching by fellow pilgrims! :cool:
Good to hear it was not Covid @Becky 59 . Especially nice to hear that everyone on your Camino reacted in such a swift and professional manner.

Language is an evolving thing so thank you for learning me a new word!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm finding myself more and more speechless. Perhaps the camino de Santiago wasn't for me.

Just out of curiosity – why? Because you may catch an infection while walking the Camino? That could happen on any travel destination or even when staying at home.

Or was it the threat of being lynched by fellow pilgrims? That’s a bit more scaring, I’ll give you that! :D

Just out of curiosity – why?
What can one say? That c-word is such a horrible word. It evokes flashbacks of babies (other people's babies, never your own) with colds and ... <shudder, just shudder>

PS: OMG. I googled for c..... c... and there are matches. The expression has already escaped and is on the internet!

Last edited:
What can one say? That c-word is such a horrible word. It evokes flashbacks of babies (other people's babies, never your own) with colds and ... <shudder, just shudder>

PS: OMG. I googled for c..... c... and there are matches. The expression has already escaped and is on the internet!

I have no clue what you are talking about - but that's fine.

I have no problem using the words Camino Crud as it aptly describes the terrible thick phlegm I've suffered with on three of my five Caminos, shortly after arriving in Spain and always lasting for several weeks. Combined with a painful sore throat, it is an extremely unpleasant experience. I am never sick like that at home and always assume I've caught it on flights, and not limited to Caminos.
I think it's a rather unoffensive description and says so much with so little. I can think of much worse words to describe the illness.🙄

The term Camino Crud (as heard many times while on the CF) has been around since at least 2014.

Mix folks from all around the world into albergues/dorm-like accommodations and someone usually ends up with sinus problems and a mild cough. I have my own theory: it comes from sleeping with a wide open mouth while snoring at championship levels...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The term Camino Crud (as heard many times while on the CF) has been around since at least 2014.
Thanks. I've figured out in the meantime that it is American English.

Mix folks from all around the world into albergues/dorm-like accommodations and someone usually ends up with sinus problems and a mild cough.
Not surprising and a major reason why, in the autumn of 2019, I made sure that I had my flu injection before going on Camino and didn't stay in shared dormitories in albergues.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
"Championship levels"....what an amateur.
I am aiming for gold medal Olympic level.
On my first Camino, while staying in an albergue in Zubiri, a rather large Englishman across the room snored so intensely that it vibrated down the aluminum bed post, across the concrete floor, and up into the bed frame where I was sleeping. Although I had my trusty silicone ear plugs in, which dampened the sound significantly, the vibrations coming from someone snoring at Gold Medal Olympic Level across the room was a new experience.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On my first Camino, while staying in an albergue in Zubiri, a rather large Englishman across the room snored so intensely that it vibrated down the aluminum bed post, across the concrete floor, and up into the bed frame where I was sleeping. Although I had my trusty silicone ear plugs in, which dampened the sound significantly, the vibrations coming from someone snoring at Gold Medal Olympic Level across the room was a new experience.
Could you hear the national anthem as they raised the flag?

No, unless it sounds like a river barge 3 meters from me tooting its horn in rhythmic fashion.

Seriously, the whole albergue experience--from the snoring to being wary of catching Camino crud--is remembered fondly (mostly) and provides fodder for some humorous tales.

I heard the National Anthem many times in albergues and didn't know there were so many renditions.
Seriously, the whole albergue experience--from the snoring to being wary of catching Camino crud--is remembered fondly (mostly) and provides fodder for some humorous tales.
So true! I agree wholeheartedly...especially after I get back home and think about what a marvelous time I had, "most" experiences included.😃

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

When I first walked the Frances in 2012, my friend got a bad cold/cough & others said it was the “Camino crud”! The term has been around that far back.

The Camino Crud was around in the Fall of 2013, in illness and in name. Many of my fellow pilgrims were caught with it, some had to bus ahead to get several days rest. I felt bad for those who ended up at the doctors office for antibiotics. I came down with a horrible sore throat one evening before Burgos. I took my trusty NyQuil gel cap for a couple of nights and was good to go. I never travel without them. Camino Crud be damned!! 😂

Last edited:
I have never heard the term "Camino Crud" before, and I hope it does not enter common usage, as I find it rather unpleasant. A cold or cough on the Camino is not any different from a cold or cough circulating in any group of people.
I agree. There's nothing unique about colds that are caught on the Camino. No need to associate the word "Camino" with them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Never heard that term and I don't intend to use it.

Sounds like a seasonal cold- would have been best for you to rest in private rooms until it cleared.
As you can read in the original post that is exactly what @Becky 59 did!

Had it been positive I would have quarantined myself; as it was, I booked private rooms for the next several days until the "Crud" cleared up.

When I first walked the Frances in 2012, my friend got a bad cold/cough & others said it was the “Camino crud”! The term has been around that far back.
The Merriam-Webster entry shows 'crud' as having been first used in the 14th Century. Probably a bit late to try and stop its spread (as a word). I have found a reference to the term 'camino crud' as early as 2009, but stopped searching at that point.

€83,-
I have never heard the term "Camino Crud" before, and I hope it does not enter common usage, as I find it rather unpleasant. A cold or cough on the Camino is not any different from a cold or cough circulating in any group of people.
I see the phrase “CC” being too general, could be dirty boots or a bad hair day but a cough or a sinus cold is just the results of being out in strange weather and meeting new people

I see the phrase “CC” being too general, could be dirty boots or a bad hair day but a cough or a sinus cold is just the results of being out in strange weather and meeting new people
Indeed, and I think that is what makes crud such a useful word, and by extension the term 'camino crud' a real workhorse that could be applied to anything unpleasant. Imagine the conversation as you walk back onto the path wafting some unpleasant aroma - 'This is awful! I just went for a pee, and look at this camino crud I stepped in. You'd think pilgrims would be more careful about where they left their crud.' Or after a visit to a particularly unpleasant public facility - 'That place was really cruddy. It didn't look like it had been cleaned forever! Talk about years of camino crud.'

I think it deserves consideration as the next go-to word for unpleasantness on the forum.

In my experience, even at home but especially while traveling, when I exercise a lot more than usual, day after day, I am more susceptible to catching colds. It's a weakened immune system thing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
the term 'camino crud' a real workhorse that could be applied to anything unpleasant. Imagine the conversation as you walk back onto the path wafting some unpleasant aroma - 'This is awful! I just went for a pee, and look at this camino crud I stepped in.
In fact, that is what I thought the thread would be about when I first saw the title. I wondered what Covid had to do with the toilet paper problem.

😳 Wow! How did I walk 4 caminos and miss that whole experience? (the crud part not the snoring part)😅😂🤣 Seriously though - I have known pilgrims who got a cough because they were dehydrated and also got an infection (down below - you know) for the same reason. Turned out they weren't drinking water because they didn't want to pee in the bushes. All cleared up with more water though.

I don't like the word. I don't like it. I was going to totally ignore the thread, but it seems to have caught on. It is like some other topics that for me belong elsewhere, maybe on other forums. Or in private messages. This is my opinion.
When two threads were closed last week, I swore that I would steer clear of opinion comments. See how firm I am?🤣 I still don't like it. I promise myself not even to peek into this thread again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't like the word. I don't like it. I was going to totally ignore the thread, but it seems to have caught on. It is like some other topics that for me belong elsewhere, maybe on other forums. Or in private messages. This is my opinion.
When two threads were closed last week, I swore that I would steer clear of opinion comments. See how firm I am?🤣 I still don't like it. I promise myself not even to peek into this thread again.
I’m with you 100%. Let’s unwatch this thread together. 😀

And the good messages included in the original post from @Becky 59 have been somewhat lost due to the distraction caused by the headline.

It can actually be quite nasty. I ended up with a full blown case of bronchitis. After a trip to the doctor I was given prescriptions to obtain meds and a strong cough syrup and was able to continue with my journey.

Yea.. this thread is probably going to get locked as a controversial topic.

I think crud is just a horrible description, and I'm guessing it's mainly Americans who don't have the same revulsion to the word e.g. "oh crud".. when they'd blush if someone used the word "damn".

Just my 2c.

I agree. There's nothing unique about colds that are caught on the Camino. No need to associate the word "Camino" with them.
I agree. No need for this terminology. Not because of the word “crud” per say-is problematic, but because demystifying the concern that newbies might have about catching this mysterious and strange “ Camino Crud,” instead of a cold could become a recurring theme . IMO as long as Covid 19 is around We should think very thoughtfully about staying in congregant room settings. Splurge for a private room in an albergue.

Last edited:
During our first two caminos, my wife and I mostly stayed in albergues, and a few quad rooms with my brother and his wife during our second camino. I caught a serious cold. I recall staying in the luxurious Leon Parador and one night alternated between an entire body sweat, to shivering underneath the covers. My wife used a cold towell to mop my brow most of the night. For our third and fourth caminos, my wife and I have stayed exclusively in private rooms with our own private bathrooms. No camino crud experienced by either of us. And before each camino, we have our doctors prescribe generic Keflex. We self medicate if we start coughing, or in my case my black toes look like they may be developing an infection. Bob

€83,-
As an American, I've thought about the term "Camino crud" maybe a dozen times in my entire life, but after reading some of the reactions to a mere, harmless word in this thread I think I'll add it to my everyday curse word lexicon...
In the last two years which has given a far more offensive word to add to our collective lexicon and one that has been used in the title of this thread, I will not be giving any more thought to this word.
It is an adjective/ noun known, and used, by myself for years.
I have much more important things to think about.

In the last two years which has given a far more offensive word to add to our collective lexicon and one that has been used in the title of this thread, I will not be giving any more thought to this word.
It is an adjective/ noun known, and used, by myself for years.
I have much more important things to think about.
It was sarcasm, bro

As an American, I've thought about the term "Camino crud" maybe a dozen times in my entire life, but after reading some of the reactions to a mere, harmless word in this thread I think I'll add it to my everyday curse word lexicon...
I'm with you, @Phoenix! A mere harmless word. It seems people are making a mountain out of a molehill. I had never heard of camino crud until this thread. My sickness was really from flying, not from the Camino...so I will identify it as "Flight crud", since I did not catch it on the Caminos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm with you, @Phoenix! A mere harmless word. It seems people are making a mountain out of a molehill. I had never heard of camino crud until this thread. My sickness was really from flying, not from the Camino...so I will identify it as "Flight crud", since I did not catch it on the Caminos.

Indeed the mountain out of a molehill.
Work brought me in contact the last couple of days with ER and other wards of our regional hospital. Staff would have been glad to just have the deal with a " Crud " ( Caminorelated or not ) but alas...
So yep..all a matter of perspective!

Whatever you wish to call it, it is a real nuisance when/if it catches up to you.

Over many years traveling on business or "Camino-ing", I have found "Fluimucil" from the nearest farmacia to be quite the superb antidote. Use of it has allowed me continuation of business or walking without any lost time.

It now goes in the pack at my first sighting of a farmacia. (As it is unavailable in the US near as I can tell.)

An effervescent tablet or sachet to be dropped in hot water/tea provides a lemony beverage that gets to work within a few hours. (I have no preference for tablet or sachet as long as they provide 600 mg of active ingredient. Packaging looks like this in Spain.)

Side effects are known but few in number. The attached link provides the safety data from a UK provider so you can see whether it is likely acceptable to you.

B

Last edited:

€83,-
There’s not a lot of Orujo in Sussex. It’s two years now since I could fly into Santander and catch the bus up to Potes. The hike to Fuente De, Sotres and Tresviso used to be the precursor to a lot of fun.
But if there is such a thing as a cure for Camino Crud, airplane flu, “l’m to far from home”, or any other of those travelers blues it should come in a shot-glass filled by a friend or a stranger with good intent

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Whatever you wish to call it, it is a real nuisance when/if it catches up to you.

Over many years traveling on business or "Camino-ing", I have found "Fluimucil" from the nearest farmacia to be quite the superb antidote. Use of it has allowed me continuation of business or walking without any lost time.

It now goes in the pack at my first sighting of a farmacia. (As it is unavailable in the US near as I can tell.)

An effervescent tablet or sachet to be dropped in hot water/tea provides a lemony beverage that gets to work within a few hours. (I have no preference for tablet or sachet as long as they provide 600 mg of active ingredient. Packaging looks like this in Spain.)

Side effects are known but few in number. The attached link provides the safety data from a UK provider so you can see whether it is likely acceptable to you.

B
Hi- the active ingredient in Fluimucil is acetylcysteine. This is widely available (various forms) over the counter in the US. Some people shouldn’t take it (ulcers, heart failure, etc), so it’s necessary to look for contraindications before using. It’s been used for a very long time. Here’s the blurb from the NIH:
“N-acetylcysteine (NAC), a precursor of the antioxidant glutathione, has been used to loosen thick mucus in the lungs and treat acetaminophen overdose for decades. However, NAC can also boost the immune system, suppress viral replication, and reduce inflammation.”

During our first two caminos, my wife and I mostly stayed in albergues, and a few quad rooms with my brother and his wife during our second camino. I caught a serious cold. I recall staying in the luxurious Leon Parador and one night alternated between an entire body sweat, to shivering underneath the covers. My wife used a cold towell to mop my brow most of the night. For our third and fourth caminos, my wife and I have stayed exclusively in private rooms with our own private bathrooms. No camino crud experienced by either of us. And before each camino, we have our doctors prescribe generic Keflex. We self medicate if we start coughing, or in my case my black toes look like they may be developing an infection. Bob
Oh bless

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It can actually be quite nasty. I ended up with a full blown case of bronchitis. After a trip to the doctor I was given prescriptions to obtain meds and a strong cough syrup and was able to continue with my journey.
Going off on a turrible tangent: I was recently informed of local changes in Spanish health insurance where cough syrup is no longer covered and may cost €10 while a salbutamol inhaler is still € 2-3. Compare this to US prices: cough syrup cheap and albuterol inhaler, with insurance, upwards of $45. Never ceases to blow my mind, maybe cause I’m a pulmonologist with asthma buying my inhalers in España.

Obviously the flora in Spain differs from that in (most of) our home countries. My experience is that if I take antihistamines at the first sign of a sore throat, post-nasal drip or throat-clearing it pretty much goes away. It only took one very miserable experience of not taking antihistamines and ending up losing my voice and feeling wretched, thus having to go on antibiotics, for the light to come on. Hope that's of help to some of you.