• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cows on the Camino?

Suz1978

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct (2017)
This might be a daft question and I'm not sure if it's just a UK thing. How likely is it that I would have to walk through a field of cows on the Camino Frances?!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not very likely to walk through a field of cows on the CF. It is usually routed alongside fields, not across them. Quite common to come across them on farm tracks and village roads in Galicia though. The track can occasionally be quite smelly and slippery with wet manure. Watch your step!

Agree - you won't have to walk through a field of cows like the UK, but you will have to step to the side of the road when a herd of cows is being taken along the path to/from the fields. There will be a farmer and working dogs involved, everyone focusing on their tasks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Agree - you won't have to walk through a field of cows like the UK, but you will have to step to the side of the road when a herd of cows is being taken along the path to/from the fields. There will be a farmer and working dogs involved, everyone focusing on their tasks.

That's good to know, thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
IMG_1994-e1476723448351.jpg

O'Cebreiro - have to watch your step

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't know how people can say you do not walk through fields of cows on the CF as I did a few times in the past few years. On day one across the Pyrenees on the decent to the church at Ibeneta I had to walk through a herd of cows that was directly on the path, they were there in 2015 and 2016. With calves. There is also the stretch as you walk to Ages where you cross a cattle grid, through a cow field, with calves, across another cattle grid to the village.

However, in my experience the Spanish breed of cattle are very laid back and so used to humans passing they are no problem whatsoever. For instance, I did get stuck once on a small path on the San Salvador with a mum ahead of me, her calf behind me and things looked a bit scary as they were both shouting to each other with me stuck in between. They were fine however when I just slowly passed by, mum even graciously moved out of the way for me.

Basically don't worry, unlike the inquisitive and skitty nature of cows in the uk, these beasts are very calm, and I think very beautiful. I often stop for a chat as I pass them by!

Davey

I'd have to look at my photos to see where I was on the meseta but I walked past a few cows and bulls napping in fields and under the trees next to the path. And I swear they were the largest I've ever seen and I go to rodeos here all the times. Maybe Spanish meseta cattle are larger?

I'm a little cautious around cows. They are indeed more dangerous than we realize
Tell me about it....
Where I worked as a cop in south Texas was a mix of urban and rural. Lot's of ranches and lot's of livestock. Calls in reference to cattle and horses out on the roadways were routine. On one I handled it was a large bull on a county FM road. I found a gate to a pasture that was unlocked and got the bull almost in when he 360'd on me and charged. My only sanctuary was my patrol car and I ran as fast as I could to it and did my best 70's cop show impression jumping up on the hood and slid across (I was a lot younger, faster and leaner then). That slide across the hood of that Crown Victoria literally melted the knees of my polyester uniform pants, ha ha. Fortunately the bull quickly decided I wasn't a threat and trotted down the blacktop, and I last saw him running across an ag field.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, a quick internet search and I found this! Wow, cows are more dangerous than I thought. At least the British ones are. :D
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...deadly-large-animals-in-britain-a6727266.html
Wow!!! Must be an angry breed
The only time we ever had to be cautious on the ranch was working the chute or rounding up wild cows in the mountains. They would try to kill.
I think as long as people never stand directly in front of or directly behind within 10 feet will drastically reduce harm. If you watch livestock being moved everyone gives them space & try to use fence lines to move them from the rear & side. So when having a herd walking into you look at the back of the herd & see what side the farmers are pushing them from then move to the same side. The heard will pass you just stay put or you will stop them from moving on. Typically bulls are moved independent of cows, try to put a fence between you. Or a good 20 meters off to the side.
Mark This was not directed at you just a convenient thread.:)

It isn't terribly good.
No kidding.

Tell me about it....
:D
Off topic...
Never had a problem like that, but a colleague was once stuck for quite some time in a paddock with one wild bull and a very big tree in the centre of the enclosure. The nearest branch was way too high for him to reach and the trunk was too big to make the tree easy to climb. So he had to run around and around and around that tree--pursued by the bull. Eventually the bull lost interest and he could make a bee line for the nearest fence.

Yes. Don't mess with bulls. Even domesticated ones like George here (Below O Cebreiro).
View media item 4975

Galacian cows may be more laid back than UK cows, but next time I will be sure to give wide berth to a herd of cows heading to a field of fresh dew-covered grass early in the morning. :eek:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tell me about it....
Where I worked as a cop in south Texas was a mix of urban and rural. Lot's of ranches and lot's of livestock. Calls in reference to cattle and horses out on the roadways were routine. On one I handled it was a large bull on a county FM road. I found a gate to a pasture that was unlocked and got the bull almost in when he 360'd on me and charged. My only sanctuary was my patrol car and I ran as fast as I could to it and did my best 70's cop show impression jumping up on the hood and slid across (I was a lot younger, faster and leaner then). That slide across the hood of that Crown Victoria literally melted the knees of my polyester uniform pants, ha ha. Fortunately the bull quickly decided I wasn't a threat and trotted down the blacktop, and I last saw him running across an ag field.
Great story! Wow!

Great story! Wow!
Cows, unless they were rank were never much of a problem, but I quickly learned that mature bulls are boss and do what they want to do. I remember moving one back to his pasture and I saw the was a cattle guard on the gravel road and I thought, well heck, I'll never get him in. He reached the guard and jumped it like a deer. So graceful for his probably 2000 pound body. It was cool. Impressive. He then casually strolled back to his ladies who were gathered up watching the whole spectacle.

Last edited by a moderator:
No kidding.

:D
Off topic...
Never had a problem like that, but a colleague was once stuck for quite some time in a paddock with one wild bull and a very big tree in the centre of the enclosure. The nearest branch was way too high for him to reach and the trunk was too big to make the tree easy to climb. So he had to run around and around and around that tree--pursued by the bull. Eventually the bull lost interest and he could make a bee line for the nearest fence.

Yes. Don't mess with bulls. Even domesticated ones like George here (Below O Cebreiro).
View media item 4975
Yup, George is big, is boss and is expensive and I'm sure there will be offspring of George there long after the Spanish sun has set on him.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This might be a daft question and I'm not sure if it's just a UK thing. How likely is it that I would have to walk through a field of cows on the Camino Frances?!

Highly unlikely but not totally impossible -- but you'd pretty much have to get lost first, in a location where such fields exist.

Not a problem on the CF, as others have posted.

However, it is pretty common on the Via de la Plata to have to open a gate and walk through a herd of very large black steers (with very long horns)
Lots of steers and sometimes cows.
A nice farm lady told me to simply walk confidently through them and just swing your pole in front of you..if you watch them that is what they do with a stick.
It worked perfectly as the steers (and some cows) did move off to the side as I walked through every time.

I've never had a problem with cows on the Camino Frances. We witnessed a hilarious incident last year when a wayward cow refused to go meekly into the adjoining field; apparently she was after the windfall apples down the road. Farmer and wife expended a lot of energy getting her back on track. Quite harmless.
But I do acknowledge that on a statistical basis cows are five times more dangerous than sharks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Having grown up on a cattle ranch, I can tell you that cows and steers are not a problem. But standing between a bull and a cow in heat can be dangerous. And while many farmers along the Camino use the path itself from time to time to move cows from one pasture to another, no farmer is dumb enough to move cows and a bull at the same time. In fact, bulls are only allowed around cows for a few weeks each year to make sure all the cows drop their calves in March. So for eleven months a year, bulls are on their own in a separate enclosure without any reason to moved along the Camino.

I remember vividly on the Portugues in 2015 early in the morning when a group of farmers were moving bulls from one meadow to another. Already 300 metres a help of the farm was warning us, giving us safe passage to the inner court of that big farm , and then we had to wait till they were led away. Nice ten minutes ; we were served coffee and we were just able to take a look over the high fence to enjoy the spectacle. I think the farmers made some extra noise just for our entertainment ;) .

Last edited:

A very good question; thank you for asking. Some interesting replies! I was not a happy bunny walking across fields of cows and their calves on the Coast 2 Coast in England.
Jill

Wish I hadn't read all of this. I was a bit nervous going through all the farms on my previous VDLP but had no problems . Going again in April and now imagining being chased by bulls :-/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
oh dear - if my Mother sees this thread i'll never get her on a Camino...! She has a pathological fear of cows and just won't go near them under any circumstance. I give them healthy respect (having had to chase several out of my garden before - they are huge close up) but usually they are only a problem if you have a dog with you - i have had to defend my dogs from a gang of them that turned nasty... But if you make yourself look big - wave your stick and jacket out sideways - they usually back off. On the Michael Mary Pilgrim's Way we had a herd play that game where they run at you when you walk, then when you turn around, they skid to a stop and try and look all innocent... such fun...!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To anyone reading this thread who has not walked the Camino before, and has some concern about livestock encounters while on it, don't be concerned. Your proximity to loose livestock not behind a fence will be occasional at best. The livestock really has no interest in you. Give it wide berth. If someone is moving livestock down the path, or in one of the rural villages, get off the trail and take a break. They'll be done and gone in just a few minutes. Don't be a dumba** and try and touch or pet the cattle as they go by (I've seen goofy pilgrims do that). In the villages the cows are moved daily and you often see them being moved with the assistance of working dogs. Leave them alone, too. They're at work, too busy to be concerned with a goretex or fleece covered biped.
If you notice, most bad livestock and human encounters involve people who work with them in some manner or another. Not likely that a bull or a cow is going to deliberately come charging across a distance with sole intent of doing a mini San Fermin on you, ha ha. :D

Right on, Mark.
And not all cow encounters are frightful.
Just now remembering walking past a paddock in Gallicia a minute or so after a calf had been born within a stone's throw of the path--of course behind a fence...
It was very touching.

Attachments

• Portomarin-Palas de Rei (26).JPG
    Portomarin-Palas de Rei (26).JPG
    298 KB · Views: 17
One of my favorite moments on my first Camino. Near Puente la Reina.
El Camino day 9 011.jpg
These three troublemakers took a quick break from work in hopes of bumming bocadillo scraps.
El Camino day 9 010.jpg
Please tell me nobody reading this thread has a fear of sheep and small working dogs. :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
While I was walking from Oloron-Ste. Marie along the old train line I was confronted by 3 very aggressive Alsatian shepherd dogs who obviously thought I was being threat to the sheep they were guarding. It was the only time on the Camino I have ever had an incident with working dogs; and, yes, I was in fear fending them off with my poles.

I grew up partly in an ex-farmhouse in Wales bang next to a cow field, and you need to worry more about the patties than the cows.

squelch

Otherwise generally, with herds of cattle, just carry on along your way, possibly holding aloft a stick or staff as a symbolic barrier, no stares nor worries, and it's hard to go wrong.

I am really scared of cows too... I tried to remember where it started and I honestly think it was on my uncles farm when I was a toddler... regardless I am scared. And because of my fear, I had read about the risks and I was aware that cows can be dangerous. I very nearly didn't walk the VdlP because I knew I would probably have to face my fear.

There was one section where we walked through a field of cows... some mothers with young... and there were bulls... at one point we had to walk through a small paddock with three fully grown male bulls... crikey I was afraid! But nothing happened... except I conquered a fear just a little bit :D

you can read about it here if you want... https://caminobrassblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/09/arghh/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Lots of cows on Camino. On Napoleon way from sjpdep lots of cows sheep horses. 20 mins walk from Roncesvalles you walk through a farm yard. Cow shite up to your ankles in the rain. But watch out for the bull

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't want to be the only person who didn't send in a cow picture. At one spot where we took a break a number of cows had escaped the pasture and were wandering on the camino. Here is one picture I took as evidence:
escapee.jpg

Is his name really George?
No idea. I made it up in the moment.;) Perhaps we can have a name the bull contest.
I have a picture of "George" too! He was near O'Cebriero...same guy?
Quite possibly. He was hard to miss--in a paddock right below the albergue at La Laguna, right before O'C.

Hi all,
This was our first meeting with the cows and a bull on the Camino. We were enjoying our beer when they came by tended by this small woman and her grandson at La Escuela in La Laguna just before you get to O'Cebreiro. After this point we saw cows and sheep and goats being moved along the camino almost every day. The cows know where to go, so just step out of the way or maintain your seat at the table (whichever applies to you.) I have also lived in the US on a cattle ranching operation and have been around some stubborn dairy cattle as well. I know what a mean bull or protective cow can be like, but these Spanish versions are unlikely to bother you.
https://goo.gl/photos/2vJPtCUv9zJpfHVQ8

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I was a boy (13 to 15) I took care alone of a 6 cow herd in Galicia on my summer holidays The cows were Galician blonde type (middle horns, beef) and after 50 years I still remmeber their names. "Cachorra", Cunchada", Roxa", "Gallarda", "Garrida" and "Moura" I have write their names in order based on age and strengh. Yes, they had a kind of hierarchy and always walked in the same position with "Cachorra" in the first position and "Moura" the youngest one in the last position.
When I conducted the herd to the different prairies I indicated "Cachorra" the right direction in Galician language "arriba" (right), "abaixo" (left), "Huou" (stop). When she failed, I sent our dog "Manchego" to make her change to the right direction.
The most difficult and dangerous situation that I could face was if we encountered another herd on the way In that case the other boy (or girl) and me had to do our best to avoid the cows to fight.
I could write a book with my experiences, but to be back to the OP I think that for an adult carrying a stick/pole the risk to be attacked by a cow on the Camino is almost zero. But be careful with children. Don´t let them approach a cow, just in case.
It is posible thoug that a young cow stares at you in a "agressive way" In that case keep going, raise your pole and say something (for example GO, yes it sounds similar to "HUOU" (stop).

Thank you, but I thought the 'H' is silent in Spanish. Or is this an exception to the rule?

Yes, you are right, the "H" is silent in Spanish and in Galician language. Correct spelling in Spanish would be "JUOU". In Galician language I really don´t know which letter, because I think that "J" doesn´t exist.

Only time you might come into contact with cows is on the trail up to La Faba. Other than that you are not even likely to see many. The camino is for the most part made up with agricultural land rather than livestock and dairy

Only time you might come into contact with cows is on the trail up to La Faba.
That is where I first encountered them but I reviewed my pictures and I have pictures of cows actually loose on the camino in four more locations and I didn't always photograph them when we did pass. I also have a picture of a herd on the camino on the way to Finisterre.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We found all the animals on the Camino so accustom to pilgrims they ignored us. Just as friendly buen camino to them as they passed.

It's more likely they'll cross your path and might need poking out of the way- they don't mind especially if you make farmer noises

Yes, you are right, the "H" is silent in Spanish and in Galician language. Correct spelling in Spanish would be "JUOU". In Galician language I really don´t know which letter, because I think that "J" doesn´t exist.
Thank you, @Pelegrin. I think I've got it now. :):) Methinks you are a Spaniard, thinking in terms of English pronunciation, and I am an English-speaking person trying to think in terms of Spanish pronunciation. The Spanish 'J' is pronounced like the English 'H' right?Well......except for those English speaking folks who pronounce 'H,' "Haych." Oh dear, this could go on forever. :D

Not very likely to walk through a field of cows on the CF. It is usually routed alongside fields, not across them. Quite common to come across them on farm tracks and village roads in Galicia though. The track can occasionally be quite smelly and slippery with wet manure. Watch your step!
How do you put a question of this blog...thanks...Ed

I have a question I would like to ask of this blog...How can I do it...thanks...Ed
Ed, welcome to the Forum. You simply go to the home page and click on the link that says "start a new thread." Choose an appropriate place to post the question, click on that, and a page will pop up where you write your question.

You will be walking through fields with cows with big horns! (We don't have horned cows in Ireland) Don't know what route the people took who were saying they didn't run in to any on the Francais .. A girl in my group was actually charged and knocked down by one in the field before the little town of "ages".. So just be mindful of them and keep your distance just to be on the safe side, most of the time they'll just stare at you though.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I can't hazard a guess on how to pronounce that. Can we get a phonetic spelling on this please. :)
You could say WOE most of the words command words used in ranching in America are based on the Spanish and Portuguese words used by ranch hands. Huou is more like Woe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You could say WOE most of the words command words used in ranching in America are based on the Spanish and Portuguese words used by ranch hands. Huou is more like Woe.

Yes Woe is the same as Huou with the H silent. But what I say when I try to stop a horse or a cow in Galicia is Juou ( that is Huou with English H). Nevertheless Woe will be also more than enough . But say it loud.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back