• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CP Coastal Route - Recommendations for Where to Spend Rest Days?

pitztop

Solvitur ambulando
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 - Camino de Levante
I'm planning to walk the Camino Portugues (Coastal Route) from Porto to SdC in June and want to take all variant routes that keep me closest to the coast - including the Spiritual Way. I live in lovely, land-locked Switzerland and just have a deep desire to walk along the ocean for a while. Does anyone, who has walked this way before, have any recommendations for where to take rest days along the route? I'm looking for places with a relaxed atmoshere and with interesting things to experience in a low-key sort of way. Any recommendations are most appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@pitztop, I really liked Viana do Castelo and could have spent more time there. See my day seventeen and day eighteen on my blog for photos of it. There are many historic sites to see and the Santuário de Santa Luzia at the hilltop above the town. But my favorite for the seaside is Baiona, with its castle, historic churches and lovely beaches, including the long Praia America. See my day twenty for info on this wonderful town! Have s lovely journey and happy planning! Elle

Next to the suggestions of Elle here above I should stay in Porto for some days before you start your caminho. Except for Viana do Castelo and Baiona there are not so many interesting places along the coast to spend more than half a day in the various places.
Interesting around Baiona are the protected islands of Cies in front of the coast around Baiona
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cíes_Islands.
I haven't been on them but saw them by following the coastline.
Ask at the Baiona tourist info about excursions.

Bom caminho

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tomar is a small city with a population of twenty-one thousand, and the train station put me at the edge of town. I walked ten blocks into the heart of the city, arriving at the Praça da República, a large and airy public square encircled with a good selection of restaurants. After choosing one of the eateries for lunch, I walked one hundred meters down the main pedestrian way of Serpa Pinto Street. There I found a tiny, basic hotel called Residential Luz, where I got a great deal on a small single room with a bathroom for just twenty euros. It was the off-season and most of their fourteen rooms were unoccupied, so the place was quiet as well as clean. I spent my entire afternoon that day visiting the castle and the Convent of Christ monastery and church, which the Knights Templar built in the middle of the twelfth century and used as their base of operations in Portugal.
The castle of Tomar was constructed in a strategic location, perched atop a large hill that looms over the city, and my walk up to the castle/convent/church complex was arduous. The path was steep and full of winding switchbacks. The first things I noticed when looking up at the outside walls of the fortifications were the arrow loop embrasures in the form of a crucifix on top of the battlements. I could visualize Templar bowmen shooting their arrows down at mounted Moorish attackers from behind the safety of those narrow openings in the walls.
Only after the first king of Portugal drove the Moors out of Tomar and then later out of Santarém and Lisbon was a Portuguese nation-state possible, and King Afonso Henriques granted the Templars a large percentage of the reconquered territory. The Templars would create a kingdom inside of a kingdom in Tomar. The Order of the Knights Templar traces its origins to shortly after the end of the First Crusade, when, at the beginning of the twelfth century, a French nobleman Hugues de Payens organized eight of his knighted relatives in a mission to protect pilgrims on their journeys to holy places. The king of Jerusalem, Baldwin II, granted the small group permission to set up its base of operations in the Holy Land on the Temple Mount.

The knights became known as the Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon, which would be shortened eventually to Knights Templar. The Templars in Portugal began to receive large donations, and they purchased large tracts of lands starting in the third decade of the twelfth century. They began building the Tomar monastery around this time, though the castle’s construction would not get underway until 1160. The king of Aragon (on the Iberian Peninsula) ceded valuable land to the Templars at his death in the 1130s. The enormous wealth of the Templars also came from new initiates, who had to take vows of poverty and chastity and would relinquish all their material possessions, including their horses, land, and business interests, to the monastic brotherhood. In 1139 Pope Innocent II decreed that the order was subject to no authority but the Pope’s, and they were made exempt from taxation. By then the order had spread throughout England, France, Spain, and Portugal.
In order to fulfill their mission of “protecting pilgrims visiting holy places,” the Templars became the elite fighting force of their day and were known to engage much larger armies, rarely ever retreating and often sustaining heavy casualties in battles during the Crusades. Around 1150, this mission of guarding pilgrims expanded to a mission of guarding the material wealth of pilgrims. The Templars began a kind of banking innovation by issuing “letters of credit” to wealthy pilgrims. A pilgrim would visit a Templar center in their home country in Europe, and they would receive a “letter of credit” for the land deeds and material valuables they left with the Templars for safekeeping. During their travels, these wealthy pilgrims could stop at other Templar centers to withdraw funds from their accounts. And so the order’s financial power became substantial, and their organization became less geared toward combat and more focused on economic endeavors.
I reached the outer defensive wall that surrounded the castle and went inside the archway that passed through it, where I studied a couple of informational plaques. One simply said, “Convento de Christo—Monumento National,” which means “Monastery of Christ—National Monument of Portugal.” Before the Spanish Civil War, the Convento de Christo was the private residence of the marquis and count of Tomar; however, the complex was put into the control of the state in 1933. In 1983 it would become a World Heritage Site.
For me it was like walking into Fenway Park for a Boston Red Sox game and seeing the expanse of green grass on the playing field magically open up before your eyes as you come up one of the enclosed tunnels into the open expanse of the stadium. Once inside the walls of the castle, I found myself walking along a wide dirt path with trimmed hedges on either side that enclosed lushly landscaped gardens full of orange trees, ornamental shrubs, and carefully pruned evergreens. The space encircled by the outer castle walls was as big as a soccer field, and looming directly ahead was the round church rotunda. The Templars introduced Eastern ideas to twelfth century Portugal, including the idea of a round church. Churches throughout Europe had always been built in the shape of a Greek cross, so this sixteen-sided, buttressed church with round windows was a radical departure. It is believed that the church was modeled after both the Mosque of Omar and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem from plans brought back from the Crusades by the Templars. The introduction of round towers in the outer protective walls and the construction of a citadel with a central tower that offered residential and defensive functions were also new to twelfth century Portugal.
The most transformative idea that the Templars brought back from their travels to the East was their adoption of Gnostic philosophy. The belief that enlightenment can come from within each individual and that the divine can be experienced by taking responsibility for one’s own spiritual development is the central tenet of Gnosticism. Other Gnostic sects such as the Cathars and the Bogomils also believed in a doctrine of “living resurrection,” which has ancient roots in the teachings of the Essenes and the Nazirites and their priestly messiah John the Baptist. These ideas were threatening to the Catholic Church, which purposely maintained a monopoly on salvation through the sacraments it offered to the faithful and the idea that the individual could approach God only through the intermediary of a priest or bishop. Self-empowerment was not tolerated by the Catholic Church at the time. For the Gnostics, resurrection was not a physical phenomenon that happened in the future when one died, but rather a here-and-now spiritual enlightenment that occurred through an out-of-body experience referred to as “raising the dead.” Initiates of Gnosticism were exposed to a knowledge that expanded their consciousness and provided a vision of being one with the universe. This belief is similar to Eckhart Tolle’s idea that has been resonating with me throughout my journey so far—that we are not the objects of our awareness but are pure awareness itself. The Templars believed that when their consciousness was expanded then they were enlightened, or “risen.” Conversely, those deprived of the secret knowledge and teachings were viewed as “unaware,” or dead, and they were doomed to perpetually walk through life as if asleep. For the Gnostics, the material world was evil, and God was wholly transcendent from his creation. God was too perfect and too infinite to interact with the evil of the material universe. They also believed that human beings were “sparks” of the same spiritual essence that is God. However, we are trapped in material bodies and subject to sin, which is caused by the lack of “secret knowledge” of our true nature.

God initiates our salvation because he wants to draw back pieces of himself. Had I lived during the twelfth century, I would have been powerfully drawn to Gnostic philosophy.
From "Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment"

Next to the suggestions of Elle here above I should stay in Porto for some days before you start your caminho. Except for Viana do Castelo and Baiona there are not so many interesting places along the coast to spend more than half a day in the various places.
Interesting around Baiona are the protected islands of Cies in front of the coast around Baiona

Bom caminho
Albertinho, I believe the Cies Islands are the ones we can see across the bay as we walked into Vigo? I will add that to my bucket list when I do this again. I have a friend who lives in Viladesuso, and maybe we can go there next time!

Albertinho, I believe the Cies Islands are the ones we can see across the bay as we walked into Vigo? I will add that to my bucket list when I do this again. I have a friend who lives in Viladesuso, and maybe we can go there next time!
To be a bit more acurate. We saw them in the distance once we past Nigrán . (About 7 kms past Baiona)
For that matter we followed the green markers instead of the yellow ones from Nigrán . Then you will follow the coastline all away to Vigo and see the islands of Cies in the distance.

We love islands . Have visited some remote ones among others the Falklands and these Cies islands are on my bucket list too.

But first we start monday next the second part of our caminho Português which we started last year from Porto and ended in Valença .
We first we'll go to Casa da Fernanda where we stay the weekend .
Than we take the train to Valença where we start for the last part to Santiago.

Next year, God willing , we want to walk from Coimbra to Ponte de Lima via Braga (caminho de Braga) got nice info about that trail (from Porto) from a good Portuguese caminho friend .
The part from Lisbon I already walked with my wife some years ago and Coimbra impressed me so that I want to go back one more time. Lovely town to stay .

Bom caminho and uma forte abraço da Holanda

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@pitztop, I really liked Viana do Castelo and could have spent more time there. See my day seventeen and day eighteen on my blog for photos of it. There are many historic sites to see and the Santuário de Santa Luzia at the hilltop above the town. But my favorite for the seaside is Baiona, with its castle, historic churches and lovely beaches, including the long Praia America. See my day twenty for info on this wonderful town! Have s lovely journey and happy planning! Elle
Thank you so much @Elle Bieling! This is perfect. I had already planned to take a rest day in Viana do Castilo, but your suggestion of Baiona was something I hadn't considered. I will take a rest day there too :cool: . Thank you so much for your amazing blog! Lovely pictures and so much interesting information. Well done!

Bom caminho
Thank you @Albertinho. I will definitely stay a day or two in Porto and explore. Your suggestion to see the protected islands of Cies is now in my plan. Again, thank you.

Tomar is a small city with a population of twenty-one thousand, and the train station put me at the edge of town. I walked ten blocks into the heart of the city, arriving at the Praça da República, a large and airy public square encircled with a good selection of restaurants. After choosing one of the eateries for lunch, I walked one hundred meters down the main pedestrian way of Serpa Pinto Street. There I found a tiny, basic hotel called Residential Luz, where I got a great deal on a small single room with a bathroom for just twenty euros. It was the off-season and most of their fourteen rooms were unoccupied, so the place was quiet as well as clean. I spent my entire afternoon that day visiting the castle and the Convent of Christ monastery and church, which the Knights Templar built in the middle of the twelfth century and used as their base of operations in Portugal.
The castle of Tomar was constructed in a strategic location, perched atop a large hill that looms over the city, and my walk up to the castle/convent/church complex was arduous. The path was steep and full of winding switchbacks. The first things I noticed when looking up at the outside walls of the fortifications were the arrow loop embrasures in the form of a crucifix on top of the battlements. I could visualize Templar bowmen shooting their arrows down at mounted Moorish attackers from behind the safety of those narrow openings in the walls.
Only after the first king of Portugal drove the Moors out of Tomar and then later out of Santarém and Lisbon was a Portuguese nation-state possible, and King Afonso Henriques granted the Templars a large percentage of the reconquered territory. The Templars would create a kingdom inside of a kingdom in Tomar. The Order of the Knights Templar traces its origins to shortly after the end of the First Crusade, when, at the beginning of the twelfth century, a French nobleman Hugues de Payens organized eight of his knighted relatives in a mission to protect pilgrims on their journeys to holy places. The king of Jerusalem, Baldwin II, granted the small group permission to set up its base of operations in the Holy Land on the Temple Mount.

The knights became known as the Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon, which would be shortened eventually to Knights Templar. The Templars in Portugal began to receive large donations, and they purchased large tracts of lands starting in the third decade of the twelfth century. They began building the Tomar monastery around this time, though the castle’s construction would not get underway until 1160. The king of Aragon (on the Iberian Peninsula) ceded valuable land to the Templars at his death in the 1130s. The enormous wealth of the Templars also came from new initiates, who had to take vows of poverty and chastity and would relinquish all their material possessions, including their horses, land, and business interests, to the monastic brotherhood. In 1139 Pope Innocent II decreed that the order was subject to no authority but the Pope’s, and they were made exempt from taxation. By then the order had spread throughout England, France, Spain, and Portugal.
In order to fulfill their mission of “protecting pilgrims visiting holy places,” the Templars became the elite fighting force of their day and were known to engage much larger armies, rarely ever retreating and often sustaining heavy casualties in battles during the Crusades. Around 1150, this mission of guarding pilgrims expanded to a mission of guarding the material wealth of pilgrims. The Templars began a kind of banking innovation by issuing “letters of credit” to wealthy pilgrims. A pilgrim would visit a Templar center in their home country in Europe, and they would receive a “letter of credit” for the land deeds and material valuables they left with the Templars for safekeeping. During their travels, these wealthy pilgrims could stop at other Templar centers to withdraw funds from their accounts. And so the order’s financial power became substantial, and their organization became less geared toward combat and more focused on economic endeavors.
I reached the outer defensive wall that surrounded the castle and went inside the archway that passed through it, where I studied a couple of informational plaques. One simply said, “Convento de Christo—Monumento National,” which means “Monastery of Christ—National Monument of Portugal.” Before the Spanish Civil War, the Convento de Christo was the private residence of the marquis and count of Tomar; however, the complex was put into the control of the state in 1933. In 1983 it would become a World Heritage Site.
For me it was like walking into Fenway Park for a Boston Red Sox game and seeing the expanse of green grass on the playing field magically open up before your eyes as you come up one of the enclosed tunnels into the open expanse of the stadium. Once inside the walls of the castle, I found myself walking along a wide dirt path with trimmed hedges on either side that enclosed lushly landscaped gardens full of orange trees, ornamental shrubs, and carefully pruned evergreens. The space encircled by the outer castle walls was as big as a soccer field, and looming directly ahead was the round church rotunda. The Templars introduced Eastern ideas to twelfth century Portugal, including the idea of a round church. Churches throughout Europe had always been built in the shape of a Greek cross, so this sixteen-sided, buttressed church with round windows was a radical departure. It is believed that the church was modeled after both the Mosque of Omar and the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem from plans brought back from the Crusades by the Templars. The introduction of round towers in the outer protective walls and the construction of a citadel with a central tower that offered residential and defensive functions were also new to twelfth century Portugal.
The most transformative idea that the Templars brought back from their travels to the East was their adoption of Gnostic philosophy. The belief that enlightenment can come from within each individual and that the divine can be experienced by taking responsibility for one’s own spiritual development is the central tenet of Gnosticism. Other Gnostic sects such as the Cathars and the Bogomils also believed in a doctrine of “living resurrection,” which has ancient roots in the teachings of the Essenes and the Nazirites and their priestly messiah John the Baptist. These ideas were threatening to the Catholic Church, which purposely maintained a monopoly on salvation through the sacraments it offered to the faithful and the idea that the individual could approach God only through the intermediary of a priest or bishop. Self-empowerment was not tolerated by the Catholic Church at the time. For the Gnostics, resurrection was not a physical phenomenon that happened in the future when one died, but rather a here-and-now spiritual enlightenment that occurred through an out-of-body experience referred to as “raising the dead.” Initiates of Gnosticism were exposed to a knowledge that expanded their consciousness and provided a vision of being one with the universe. This belief is similar to Eckhart Tolle’s idea that has been resonating with me throughout my journey so far—that we are not the objects of our awareness but are pure awareness itself. The Templars believed that when their consciousness was expanded then they were enlightened, or “risen.” Conversely, those deprived of the secret knowledge and teachings were viewed as “unaware,” or dead, and they were doomed to perpetually walk through life as if asleep. For the Gnostics, the material world was evil, and God was wholly transcendent from his creation. God was too perfect and too infinite to interact with the evil of the material universe. They also believed that human beings were “sparks” of the same spiritual essence that is God. However, we are trapped in material bodies and subject to sin, which is caused by the lack of “secret knowledge” of our true nature.

God initiates our salvation because he wants to draw back pieces of himself. Had I lived during the twelfth century, I would have been powerfully drawn to Gnostic philosophy.
From "Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment"
Thank you so much @Terry Callery. What an amazing post! Now I know I have to vistit Tomar at some point. Again, thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Padron is a nice rest stop a day before arriving in SdC.
Thank you @biarritzdon. Excellent suggestion. It would be a great opportunity to take some time to delve deeper into the legend of St. James' remains arriving in Spain. I find this story fascinating on many levels and would like to explore the place where the legend says his stone boat landed on the way to Iria Flavia. Again, thank you.

Thank you @biarritzdon. Excellent suggestion. It would be a great opportunity to take some time to delve deeper into the legend of St. James' remains arriving in Spain. I find this story fascinating on many levels and would like to explore the place where the legend says his stone boat landed on the way to Iria Flavia. Again, thank you.
So walk the Variante Espiritual and take the boat from Vila Nova de Arousa to Pontecessures (Padrón) and your experience will be complete

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I also highly recommend a rest day in Baiona and spending that day on Cies Islands - not that it's much of a rest day - plenty of hiking to do there! There are a few different beautiful beaches and outlooks you can explore, including a nude beach. Definitely a highlight of my coastal camino.

If you have the days available, i also recommend the Spiritual Variante. You can split it up in a few different ways. Cambarro is an interesting city to explore, but has a strange, sinister vibe about it. Looks gorgeous, quite touristy but there's just something about it...definitely worth a look though!

If you like the beach, then it's a pretty tremendous feeling reaching the beach at Vila nova de Arousa. One of my favourite memories, was the sight of blue water in my direct line of sight after walking about 25km on a hot day. The exhileration of reaching the beach (i was 5km ahead of where I thought I was so it was quite the surprise) 2 hours before the boat ride and spending that time on the sand, in the water...nowhere to go, nothing to do...was heavenly. Definitely walk the variante espiritu!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi @katie@camino . Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experiences. I definitely need to visit the Cies Islands during my rest day in Baiona. I am definitely planning to take the Variante Espiritu route. I want to stay as close as I can to the ocean all the way from Porto to SdC. The view from the beach at Vila Nova de Arousa sounds amazing. I will also take your advice and spend a little time in Cambarro after joining the Variante Espiritu from Ponteverda. I am so happy I started this thread and am so grateful for everyone's advice and suggestions.

Hi @katie@camino . Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experiences. I definitely need to visit the Cies Islands during my rest day in Baiona. I am definitely planning to take the Variante Espiritu route. I want to stay as close as I can to the ocean all the way from Porto to SdC. The view from the beach at Vila Nova de Arousa sounds amazing. I will also take your advice and spend a little time in Cambarro after joining the Variante Espiritu from Ponteverda. I am so happy I started this thread and am so grateful for everyone's advice and suggestions.
You pass Combarro on the Variante Espiritual by following the waymarkers from Pontevedra . It is not a city but a small village.
On your way to Vila Nova de Arousa you will walk the ruta de pedras e das augas , the route of the stones and the water , a medieval path with a length of 7 kms, full of watermills and tools they medievql times , starting nearby the monastry of Armenteiras. After about 10 kms from Armenteiras there is a nice restaurant ,os Castanhos. The owner ,a nice lady ,rnts rooms aswell and cares for a good meal and is very helpfull to phone the people who sail the boat to Padrón for you to find out what is the exact time the boat leaves.

If you like playing golf nearby Armenteiras is a great golflink . We played there once
Other interesting places nearby at the coast with sandy beaches are Sanxenxo and O Grove. When staying in Combarro they both are easy to access by bus or taxi.
But I am afraid you haven't not time enough to explore all places.
We stayed in that part of Galicia for about a month with our caravan and even did not see all.
Grüzzi

I agree with all of the above and strongly recommend Viana do Castelo. I think it may be worth considering where you will be staying in these rest stops - if you'd like to take a break from albergues and have some beach time, you may want to base the stops on where you can get nice accomodation for your tastes and budget!

We loved Viana do Castelo and splurged on a nice hotel there (still great value). I liked Baiona but not enough to add a day there. The Cies Islands looked beautiful but make sure you book the ferry if you plan on visiting as it can get quite full. Pazo Pias is a sort of albergue/pension in Ramallosa where you could get a room that's more like a pension-style for two nights and enjoy your rest day in the local restaurants/beach. Otherwise, Pontevedra was quite an interest old town with an amazing historic feel to it.

Definitely take an extra day in Porto and also another day in Santiago at the end, it is such a beautiful town and we enjoyed having time to wander around and enjoy the atmosphere. We personally just based our rest days on where we could get good value accomodation and how we were feeling.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Re: Viana do Costela - if you stay here, stay at the new albergue on top of the hill where the church is, overlooking the town, Monte Santa Luzia. You can catch a tram-thingy up there and back down in the evening if you want to go exploring VdC. I absolutely loved this place. So swish and right next to this gorgeous church.

When we arrived in VdC at 1pm, the municipal was full already. We hot footed it to Monte Santa Luzia and we were the only two people for the whole night. We had entire rooms with an enormous balcony, stunning views, huge bathrooms all to ourselves. It's really amazing and peaceful. In the late afternoon/evening, it felt quite special having this entire hill, with such a gorgeous site - church, lawns, views - all to ourselves.

In the morning we walked up to the very fancy hotel above the church and enjoyed a buffet breakfast for €12. Spectacular views, sumptuous, luxurious setting, as much delicious good as we could possibly want.

This is one the things I love about the Camino - every town, every albergue is a complete surprise. In the morning you have no idea what kind of place you'll be staying in, where you'll be eating. In this void, voila! Magic happens X

I think lots of nice places to have a break, yes Viano do Castelo, Baiona, and definitely Vigo with trip to isles de cies.nice little beach the other side of A Guarda with small hotel and a restaurant, nice for arriving early and having the rest of the day to chill. Vigo and Baiona probably good for longer stay.

Apart from extra days in porto and santiago (at start and finish) i took rest days in baiona and Pontevedra. Pontevedra is a great place and if the weather is hot you can get the bus to sanxenxo on the coast. The pic is pf the igeja de virgin peregrina in pontevedra.

Attachments

• WP_20170617_034.jpg
    WP_20170617_034.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 8
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I remember arriving in Pontevedra with the rain pouring down. The people were so kind and friendly. The town is picturesque, shame about the graffiti.

I agree with all of the above and strongly recommend Viana do Castelo. I think it may be worth considering where you will be staying in these rest stops - if you'd like to take a break from albergues and have some beach time, you may want to base the stops on where you can get nice accomodation for your tastes and budget!

We loved Viana do Castelo and splurged on a nice hotel there (still great value). I liked Baiona but not enough to add a day there. The Cies Islands looked beautiful but make sure you book the ferry if you plan on visiting as it can get quite full. Pazo Pias is a sort of albergue/pension in Ramallosa where you could get a room that's more like a pension-style for two nights and enjoy your rest day in the local restaurants/beach. Otherwise, Pontevedra was quite an interest old town with an amazing historic feel to it.

Definitely take an extra day in Porto and also another day in Santiago at the end, it is such a beautiful town and we enjoyed having time to wander around and enjoy the atmosphere. We personally just based our rest days on where we could get good value accomodation and how we were feeling.
@walker_wisdom, Thank you so much for your recommendations!

Re: Viana do Costela - if you stay here, stay at the new albergue on top of the hill where the church is, overlooking the town, Monte Santa Luzia. You can catch a tram-thingy up there and back down in the evening if you want to go exploring VdC. I absolutely loved this place. So swish and right next to this gorgeous church.

When we arrived in VdC at 1pm, the municipal was full already. We hot footed it to Monte Santa Luzia and we were the only two people for the whole night. We had entire rooms with an enormous balcony, stunning views, huge bathrooms all to ourselves. It's really amazing and peaceful. In the late afternoon/evening, it felt quite special having this entire hill, with such a gorgeous site - church, lawns, views - all to ourselves.

In the morning we walked up to the very fancy hotel above the church and enjoyed a buffet breakfast for €12. Spectacular views, sumptuous, luxurious setting, as much delicious good as we could possibly want.

This is one the things I love about the Camino - every town, every albergue is a complete surprise. In the morning you have no idea what kind of place you'll be staying in, where you'll be eating. In this void, voila! Magic happens X
@katie@camino, What an excellent recommendation to go to the hostel at the top of the hill. I found it on the map!! I will definitely go there and check out the buffet breakfasts. I will spend a rest day in Viana do Costela too. Thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think lots of nice places to have a break, yes Viano do Castelo, Baiona, and definitely Vigo with trip to isles de cies.nice little beach the other side of A Guarda with small hotel and a restaurant, nice for arriving early and having the rest of the day to chill. Vigo and Baiona probably good for longer stay.
Thank you @Laura Blue

Apart from extra days in porto and santiago (at start and finish) i took rest days in baiona and Pontevedra. Pontevedra is a great place and if the weather is hot you can get the bus to sanxenxo on the coast. The pic is pf the igeja de virgin peregrina in pontevedra.
Thank you @stevov. I'm definitely planning to take rest days in Viana do Castelo & Baiona. Pontevedra and maybe Padrón are on the list. It will depend on how I feel when I get there.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back