• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CP here I come

BeatriceKarjalainen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Finished: See post signature.
Doing: C. Levante
I just hang up the phone after booking a flight to Lisboa. Will start my camino on July 25th. So looking forward to this. Now I just have to decide when to go home. Or should I be cool and don't book a flight home yet. Last year I was in Santiago for several days because I had walked faster than I thought. Maybe I could stay in Spain for some more days take the train/bus to for instance Madrid or Barcelona and fly home from there.

Does anyone have a recommendation for SIM card in Portugal/Spain? Need data traffic for some pics, journal writing and other stuff (and please don't tell me that I should go unplugged, it's my camino not yours). For Spain I have bought cards via holidayphone.se but they do not have andy for Portugal.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If you can @BeatriceKarjalainen, don't book your flight home, & allow yourself some spontaneity depending on how your Camino goes.
Either way, buen Camino.
Suzanne :)

You can buy the card when you arrive, both vodafone and meo have pre-paid cards to which you can add data packages: 250mb, 500 mb, 1gb, etc per month - at a cost starting at 5,50€.
There is no card option that is good for calls abroad, they'll all be pretty expensive, but there are add-on packages to call abroad (ie. home).
Talk to the guys at the shop and they should set up everything for you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is plenty of places with wi-fi along the way, enjoy your walk, amiga! If you have a chance, do not miss Casa Fernanda!

You can buy the card when you arrive, both vodafone and meo have pre-paid cards to which you can add data packages: 250mb, 500 mb, 1gb, etc per month - at a cost starting at 5,50€.
There is no card option that is good for calls abroad, they'll all be pretty expensive, but there are add-on packages to call abroad (ie. home).
Talk to the guys at the shop and they should set up everything for you.
Thanks. Calling within Europe isn't that expensive and I will mostly call to pre book a sleeping place if necessary. Will look for vodafone/meo when I get to Lisboa.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We used MEO last month and had no trouble whatsoever. In fact, the shop we went to didn't have the card we needed and they had one couriered across town in under an hour - very helpful. Coverage was faultless.

If flying back from Lisboa is an option, that is another great place to spend a few days - or you could even stop at Porto on your way back down.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks
We used MEO last month and had no trouble whatsoever. In fact, the shop we went to didn't have the card we needed and they had one couriered across town in under an hour - very helpful. Coverage was faultless.

If flying back from Lisboa is an option, that is another great place to spend a few days - or you could even stop at Porto on your way back down.
Thanks for the info about MEO. Will stop at at MEO shop the first day. Saw at Google at that there are plenty of them.

I have decided to leave my hope flight open, book when I'm done. Thinking of flying out to Mallorca for some days off. Going back to Portugal could be an option. Getting to Sweden from Lisboa or Porto is a little more expensive than from Spain thou.

Hi Beatrice
I believe MEO, former TMN, has the best country coverage, which is the real issue, as you will walk in the middle of nowhere... the Caminho!
Do not know about rates, but if it is important to you to be on-line, that might be the best solution.
You can also use your original sim card, many pilgrims do it, just make sure it will works in Portugal, and you are free to choose the best provider available wherever you are, but check the rates.
Bom Caminho
Mario

I have MEO. For 14 months now. 23 times no internet, no television, no telephone. 11 times more than 5 days. Alternative? I don`t know.
Just go and forget all those things about being in touch with everybody and everything. If it is really necessary to contact someone, it will be possible almost everywhere.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have MEO. For 14 months now. 23 times no internet, no television, no telephone. 11 times more than 5 days. Alternative? I don`t know.
Just go and forget all those things about being in touch with everybody and everything. If it is really necessary to contact someone, it will be possible almost everywhere.
I clearly said that I was NOT interested in getting answers with "just let go". Why can't you just keep those comment for your self. Why can't some people just let others do their caminos as they please?

I have no interest in staying in contact with people (other some bookings along the way if necessary) and I don't check the news etc. But I have an ongoing 365 photo and blog challenge ongoing. I do it to challenge my self to reflect each day and to see new things with the camera. I also like to keep my family updated where I am with some Instagram photos along the way. I leave my 2 sons and my man at home and doesn't call them at all. They let me do this and I can at least let them know where I'm. I don't want to be restricted on where to eat, stop, sleep just because they have wifi.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back