• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CP October - rain pants needed?

kestrel39

Time of past OR future Camino
CP October 2018
hi all - I'm planning to start from Porto in early October. I've checked the historical weather data and it looks like it's not a particularly rainy month, although it looks like we should expect a few days of rain. I have a good rain jacket and cover for my pack, but am wondering about rain pants. I have some that would work, but they weigh 9 oz, and I'm of course trying to keep my pack as light as possible.

I should say also that we have 3+ weeks to get from Porto to SDC, so if heavy rain is forecast, we're likely to hole up in a hotel and read for the day! I'm interested in folks' experience with rain pants -- have you found them worth their weight to carry, particularly if you've done an October walk?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
you will be walking into Galicia,,which is very green ,,,haaaaa why ,,cos it rains a lot ,, and it can get cold too,,so i always carry and use lightweight rainpants

Three weeks will be plenty of time to walk and you will indeed have the option to stop if it rains to much.

I did that trail in April last week and did not take rain pants, only a very long poncho that covered most of my legs. One of the reasons was weight - I surely cannot carry much and always keep my pack under 6kg with water.

Galicia is quite prone to rain, so if you are ok with the weight, take the pants with you. If not, leave them home. The worst thing about rain is to get wet, but if you can stop at the hotel, it is not complicated to get your clothes dry again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I brought a pair of Ex-Officio rain pants on my trip and I would hands down take them every single time. It was worth it to me and it rained several days...sometimes not all day, but I definitely got caught in drizzles and heavy downpours. When others were drenched, I was dry. I was very thankful I made the weight decision to include them.

Thanks all, yes I think I'll probably carry them. Michelle, I'm intrigued by the skirt, but my departure is probably too soon for their fast shipping. Aw heck, with the coupon, I could gamble.

Thanks again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rainproof poncho and shorts should be okay IMHO... Not sure Galicia is that cold, even in October... We loved our IKEA ponchos which fitted over the rucksacks as well...

We walked from Lisbon to Santiago last October (mid October-end of November). I had Marmot rain pants and jacket and was glad we took. The ones with the full leg zipper were the eariest to quickly put on over shoes (but do add a little weight with the zipper). One was was a downpour with sideways rain - all day, and we were both soaked to the skin. I don't think anything will deep you dry in those circumstances. I wouldn't walk without my rain gear. And yes, it was cold in Galicia, but then that was late November.

Forget the rain pants! You wind up wet from sweat anyway. We went in Feb.and a very rainy march on the CF in 2018. The only time I used the pants was if it was snowing significantly. When the pants got wet they stuck to my other pants and made it difficult to undress as needed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I tend to use lightweight fast-drying pants rather than rain pants. But I have to admit, I haven't had experience of day after day of torrential rain on any of my Caminos.

We walked from Lisbon to Santiago last October (mid October-end of November). I had Marmot rain pants and jacket and was glad we took. The ones with the full leg zipper were the eariest to quickly put on over shoes (but do add a little weight with the zipper). One was was a downpour with sideways rain - all day, and we were both soaked to the skin. I don't think anything will deep you dry in those circumstances. I wouldn't walk without my rain gear. And yes, it was cold in Galicia, but then that was late November.
I use Marmot zipper pants also. They are good later for wind and extra warmth, with extra benefit of keeping mud off leggings. I also wore them when everything else was being washed. Buen Camino!

I use Marmot zipper pants also. They are good later for wind and extra warmth, with extra benefit of keeping mud off leggings. I also wore them when everything else was being washed. Buen Camino!
LOL! Me too! I once went to Mass with them on when clothes were being washed. Had all underwear also being washed. A strange feeling. We had a couple of weeks in early December after our last Camino and the rain jacket definitely helped with the cold.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hi all - I'm planning to start from Porto in early October. I've checked the historical weather data and it looks like it's not a particularly rainy month, although it looks like we should expect a few days of rain. I have a good rain jacket and cover for my pack, but am wondering about rain pants. I have some that would work, but they weigh 9 oz, and I'm of course trying to keep my pack as light as possible.

I should say also that we have 3+ weeks to get from Porto to SDC, so if heavy rain is forecast, we're likely to hole up in a hotel and read for the day! I'm interested in folks' experience with rain pants -- have you found them worth their weight to carry, particularly if you've done an October walk?

I was on the CP all of last October. You only need rain pants if it is wet AND cold. We had heavy rain and mostly high heat last year. I would never have used rain pants. I ended up buying a rain poncho for €1-2 euros at a small store to provide extra protection for my pack on the really rainy days. I wished I had left my raincoat and my pack cover at home because the poncho was more effective.

Rain pants might be worth the weight if you end up with multiple cold rainy days. The long-range weather forecast will give you a sense of what to expect.

BTW - I love wearing quick dry pants on warm rainy days!

Rain pants are good keeps you dry and warm. Walked the Norte last October/November glad to have the pants with 4 days of non stop rain but each to their own.

Wet legs dry way quicker than wet clothes.

I'd wear long pants in serious mountainous climates but not on a camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.