• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CPAP machine and plug ins

greghiker

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm reading the threads and don't see a definitive answer to my question. Do most Albergues have plug ins for a CPAP machine for me at night? What would be a reasonable length of extension cord needed to use for plugging me in at night. I can't sleep without it... and you wouldn't either with the noises that I make without it...
Love to hear what you know... Thanks in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm not a CPAP user, but I do plug my phone in every night - yes, there are electrical outlets. If you stay in newer albergues you will find more outlets than in older ones, and some private albergues have an outlet for each bunk. I bring a 3 meter USB cable so that I can always reach an outlet from my bed.

The question of CPAP machines comes up fairly regularly - here's some threads that came up in a search:

I'm not a CPAP user, but I do plug my phone in every night - yes, there are electrical outlets. If you stay in newer albergues you will find more outlets than in older ones, and some private albergues have an outlet for each bunk. I bring a 3 meter USB cable so that I can always reach an outlet from my bed.

The question of CPAP machines comes up fairly regularly - here's some threads that came up in a search:

Trecile, you are always so helpful to those who may benefit.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trecile's link is spot on.

A word of advice, don't let the electrical plug issue get in your way of staying in albergues. My second camino was a short 7 day trip along the Camino Portuguese. I was concerned about finding power at the albergues, so at the last minute I decided to stay in pensions & hotels. Looking back that was a big mistake. I really didn't connect anyone along my journey. At the end I learned I missed the camaraderie and fellowship one finds in the communal environment of an albergue.

My third camino will be the Camino Ingles, hopefully next year! I'm researching albergues along the way and making note of the ones with power near/next to the beds. I'm finding the newer private albergues have outlets next to each bed.

Buen Camino!

I would agree with you about finding an outlet. I have a 6 foot cord for my phone. I often look for an outlet near to a bed when I can pick my own. The newer albergues have alot more plugs. Some of the really old ones can make finding an outlet difficult. I have been in some where there are they have the outlet bar (can't remember what they are called) but you can plug 5 or 6 phones into the extension cord.

I'm reading the threads and don't see a definitive answer to my question. Do most Albergues have plug ins for a CPAP machine for me at night? What would be a reasonable length of extension cord needed to use for plugging me in at night. I can't sleep without it... and you wouldn't either with the noises that I make without it...
Try searching for and putting your question to Dougfitz. I seem to recall that he has extensive personal experience to share.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your question is about a connection to power my response is more about the evolution of the CPAP and me. I've had three sleep studies and each recommended using a CPAP. I am claustrophobic and found the first full mask version unacceptable. The second is a ResMed with under nose attachment. Again, as I turn at night the hose will wrap around my neck...also a non-starter. Here's where I may be veering toward a possible solution for your power cord question. I am shortly going the the dentist to be fitted for a mouth piece (similar to a sport mouth guard) that will adjust my jaw to move my tongue into a position where easy access to oxygen as I sleep may avoid the necessity of a CPAP.
Just a thought.

Hi Greg
as a fellow CPAP user I can assure you there will seldom be any hassles. For some places if you book ahead you can ask to be near a power outlet and this has always worked well.
One important tip, ask for a bed on a bottom bunk near the power. They will usually put a reserved sign on the one for you so you don't have to rush to get a bed.
If they don't take bookings and you meet some faster walkers staying at the same place the next night ask them to keep a bottom bunk for you.
Otherwise a long light cord is a good backstop..
Definitely lots of options and the "Camino" will provide
Buen Camino
Mark

Hi Greg,
I carry a Breas Z1 travel CPAP in my pack and haven't had a problem staying in albergues over about 5 Caminos. I use a 2 meter electrical cable which has always been sufficient except in Orrison where they kindly ran an extension cable.
Buen Camino!
Mark.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thx for the question and anders. I need to sleep with cpap since #
3 weeks and it’s hell. Can’t think of packing my cpap in my backpack... and then the powersupply... pffff...

Thx for the question and anders. I need to sleep with cpap since #
3 weeks and it’s hell. Can’t think of packing my cpap in my backpack... and then the powersupply... pffff...
You will get used to it. My travel CPAP only weighs 284g so I can carry it with me. The cables and power supply probably add another 350g. You can do this, and worst case is you have to ship your pack or part of your pack. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.