• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CPAP on the Camino

docbb

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2013
I'm planning to walk beginning in August this year. I use a CPAP machine at night and have discovered the Transcend II which weighs less than a pound. Also available are a solar charger and a chargeable battery. Has anyone had experience with this? Thanks for your help!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, docbb,
If you search for CPAP, you'll find several helpful threads. I don't use one, but I walked with a Spaniard who did. His was a regular electric one and he was always able to plug it in near his bunk and slept just fine. I personally made a point of always trying to get a bunk hear his, because the CPAP makes a wonderful white noise that drowns out snoring and all other unwelcome noises!

Good luck with this.

Hi
I also use one and plan to start on 25 April this year but have it is a second piece of luggage to be taken by taxi between stages, which is a pain.
Most of what I will need each day to be in my back pack and if others don't accept this I can only pray for them!
Approaching 70 years it is to be my journey.

HappyMark

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks to both of you for your responses. I did check the CPAP thread but did not find anyone who is familiar with the Transcend II. I'm 72 and am walking a lot these days. Good luck HappyMark. Once you get finished how about giving me a report about electric outlet availability?

Please send me a reminder in late June!
of the three accommodation bookings I have so far made there did not seem to be any problem when I requested a bed near a power outlet.
Happy Mark

Thanks Happy Mark. I will ask how it went once you return. I've spent some time today at REI seeing what they might recommend. So far, I am not getting very far. But, I understand that if I stay in a hostel as opposed to an albergue I will be able to have my own room with an guaranteed outlet. I'm trying to convince the transcend manufacturer to let me be the road tester! So far, no luck!

Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi DOCBB
I also tried a new device called "Provent" which is like two band aids; one across each nostril containing a valve which allows air in but restricts it going out; the idea is to maintain positive pressure when asleep provided your mouth is clsoed; but you cant go to sleep with your mouth closed as you can't get enough air flow.
I went in for a sleep study after a 7 day trial and was tested all night; the results were not encouraging as it was reasonable OK when I was on my side but ineffective when I rolled onto my back...so will persevere with my Resmed and the air pipes and transformer etc.
If you have any success with an alternative would love to hear about it
Happy Sleeping!
Mark

Hello,
It just checked the Transcend II specs. I don't believe that 0.9 lb weight includes the separate power pack which is also needed. In looking around for a solution last year I settled on the ZZZPap which plugs directly into the wall with no need for a separate power pack. It's weight is listed at 1.76 lbs. I recently travel tested this on a business trip in Europe and it worked well for me.

A follow up report. I did take a transcend II CPAP with me, also a rechargeable 16 hour battery. Most nights I had access to power but some I did not. It added weight but allowed me great rest! Now would like to sell the transcend and the battery. Wondering how to do that. Anyone interested?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi docbb. How did the Transcend II work out on the Camino? And would the Transcend work as your everyday CPAP? Have you had a look at the new Z1? See this link - http://hdmusa.com/the-z1/ Sorry about the many questions - I'm planning my first Camino in late April this year.

Both my son and myself use a CPAP but we were not about to deal with the weight of a CPAP. finding distilled water and locating a plug every night. We went to our dentist and purchased a dental appliance (for sleep apnea). Obviously the CPAP is the "gold standard" for sleep apnea but the appliance the dentist fitted us with did a very good job. My insurance picked up most of the cost but it was still $145.00 out of pocket expense. The good news is it only weighted an ounce or two and it worked :)) Good luck. I also invested in a good set of ear plugs. Every night when I went to sleep "I saw no evil, spoke no evil, and heard no evil...."

Hi w cleveland

It's great that the dental appliance worked for you. I'm stuck with the CPAP. However, at least these mini travel machines with the batteries will reduce weight and reliance on the plug every night. In the UK the National Health Service will give you a standard CPAP but for the latest light weight equipment you're paying yourself.
The CPAP is a schlep and a lifesaver at the same time.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are you going for an updated model?

Just ordered the Transcend starter kit with the small battery pack. I hope to report back when I've given it a test run. Can't wait to be (relatively) free of electric outlets again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had been in bed unable to walk for 8 months….
blog-10-12-a.jpg

I know it looks scary, but it saves my life!
I just got a email from another
pilgrim who is walking with this please support him!

MORE HERE...

What a journey I have been on “after,” I finished my walk. Where would I be today if I didn't have the lessons I learned from the Camino? I have been in the hospital many times and ended up in a nursing home, with heart and stroke issues and not being able to walk.... was all this caused by not sleeping properly? Few know about this solution.

This may be the most important story you will ever read! It may save your life or someone you care about.Pass it on!This is my experience, and it saved my life! I am walking….again! Jim

Click here for the rest of the story.

Good to hear your on the mend Jim keep up the determination your a breath of fresh air.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm planning to walk beginning in August this year. I use a CPAP machine at night and have discovered the Transcend II which weighs less than a pound. Also available are a solar charger and a chargeable battery. Has anyone had experience with this? Thanks for your help!

G'day,
I have just completed the Caminho, from Porto, with my CPAP machine and I had no issues. I haven't slept without my machine since about 2012 so I was a bit nervous before we started but every Albergue (communal and private) that we stayed at had electrical outlets next to the bunks.

I took my Philips System 1 (without the humidifier), an extension lead (did I mention I was nervous) and a multi-outlet adaptor all of which weighed just under 5 kilos (11 lbs) and whilst some may think this a burden I just saw it as part of my Caminho.......

Other than the odd look (more curiosity than anything else) no one payed me any attention and for what it is worth I was probably the quietest sleeper most nights. One night another Peregrino who was worried about his snoring (obviously bad) asked the manager if he could sleep in the boot airing / drying room rather than disturb everyone. I felt sorry for him as the boots stunk, he had everyones washing drying around him and everyone noticed him.

If anyone is worried about taking their CPAP machine, don't. My wife, daughter (type 1 diabetic) and I thoroughly enjoyed our Caminho and we are now planning our next for 2016.

Very interesting forum.
Mind you, I clicked onto it because I thought it was headed "CRAP on the Camino" and was pleased someone was doing something about it. :eek:

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.