• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CPAP recommendation

pilothoward

Time of past OR future Camino
My wife and I are planning the CF in May. She'd like any recommendation or comment on travel CPAP machines.
She's looking at 2 models right now: Transcend Transcend 3 miniCPAP Auto or BREAS Z2 CPAP (either auto or fixed pressure). And would you recommend the multi-night battery or should she plan on being able to use the wall plugs.

Thanks a bunch!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have the Transcend Auto. It was the only travel CPAP available locally when I bought it, so I don't have a view on which of the two might be better.
Unless you plan to camp or stay somewhere like San Anton, where there is no electricity, you should be able to rely on using mains power. Tell the hospitalero you are using a CPAP when you arrive and ask for a bed near a power point.
The Transcend comes with a selection of different plug types - UK, UK, Europe and AS/NZ, but I also carry a universal travel adaptor with four USB ports. This means I can use just one power point, and then I carry just the one plug type for my CPAP.
If you do plan to take a battery, I would suggest something that might claim to be multi-night. I was talking to someone using the Transcend with the smaller of the battery options available at the time, and he said he never got a full night from the battery.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My husband has used both the Transcend and the Z2. He wore out the Transcend model out after 5 years of travel using tape to hold it together eventually. He bought the Z2 last summer. It is a little lighter and did not come with the interchangeable plug. He does have the battery, but does not recommend it for the Camino as it is heavy.

Hello,
I highly recommend the Resmed Air Mini CPAP machine. It was the lightest/smallest CPAP machine I could find. It is super quiet, although to the person wearing the mask the sound of breathing through a straw is a bit louder than my regular machine. I did ask others in the room if my CPAP was disruptive, and everyone said it was very quiet and many who didn't see my machine had no idea I was using one. I can't comment on the other CPAP machines because I haven't used them. That said - while a battery pack can be beneficial to have while traveling, they tend to be heavier than the machine itself. I brought one with on a backpacking Europe trip (you know - the kind where you go city to city via train). Just walking from train stations to the hotels/hostels I found that the extra weight of the battery was not worth the back pain caused by any extra weight in my pack. Because of that - I refused to bring my battery last summer when walking the Camino. On the Camino - most albergues, hostels, and hotels will have a plug you can access for your CPAP machine. However, at some albergues/hostels you will NOT have access to the plug (there may be only a couple plugs for an entire dorm room or no plugs in the room at all - I only had 1 place with no plugs in the room). Most nights, I DID have access to a plug. So most nights I was able to plug in my CPAP machine. But for me, while my sleep apnea was severe - I wasn't worried that I would die in my sleep due to the apnea - so the nights I could not plug in didn't worry me (other than wondering if I snored too loud - thankfully others said my snore was very quiet). Please assess whether or not your wife can go occasional nights without her CPAP machine if she choses not to carry a battery and stay in dorm rooms which may or may not have access to plugs, she should speak with her apnea doctor regarding this. If not, either bringing the battery would be a must - or getting private rooms where you can guarantee a plug would be a must, at least in some towns. Also, many with CPAP machines bring an extension cord. I found that I was fine with the long plug and long tubing most nights and did NOT carry an extension cord. Again - I knew I would be OK skipping a night or two without my CPAP. Others may not be alright without it.

My husband carries a card in Spanish that notes his need for a plug. In all cases the hospitaleros have gone out of their way to make sure he is accomodated. One even called another facility and secured a bed for him when they could not accommodate him. We know which albergues don't have electricity and just don't stay there despite their hospitality and ambiance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My husband carries a card in Spanish that notes his need for a plug. In all cases the hospitaleros have gone out of their way to make sure he is accomodated. One even called another facility and secured a bed for him when they could not accommodate him. We know which albergues don't have electricity and just don't stay there despite their hospitality and ambiance.
Yes, carrying a card with the request in Spanish is very helpful! And just to clarify - yes, some albergues do not have electrictity and it is easy to avoid them. But I did run into several rooms with only 1-2 plugs for everyone and I stayed at one place with no plugs in the room at all. They had all charging stations in the hall (was that Orisson perhaps?). I didn't know which places didn't have enough plugs until I was in the dorm room. Of course, someone who is fluent in Spanish can discuss with albergue hosts in advance of making reservations or checking in ;) Always need to be aware that this is a possibility. But the majority of albergues it was not an issue at all.

This summer will be my 6th time somewhere on the Camino. I have never had to do without my Cpap at night. As @J Willhaus mentioned, I carry a 3x5 card in Spanish that says I have a medical device and need access to an electrical outlet. It is amazing how much help I received from hospitaleros and fellow pilgrims to access an electrical outlet. I also had pilgrims move closer to where I was sleeping as they said the Cpap would keep me from snoring. Yes there are a few albergues without outlets. As much as I would like to, I just don't stay there.

I originally purchased a used, factory refurbished Transcend back in late 2015 or early 2016. It has traveled all over the United States and to Europe. It has been on the Camino 4 times. It served me well. Unfortunately, hard use, being tossed in a backpack, falling off of the side of the bed, and so on resulted in it being held together with packing tape. I purchased a HDM Z2 last summer (2021) and carried it fall of 2021. I didn't get the Resmed Mini Cpap due to cost. I did not carry a battery on any of my trips to Spain or other travels except when camping in a national forest or wilderness area.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino!

Phil

Yes, carrying a card with the request in Spanish is very helpful! And just to clarify - yes, some albergues do not have electrictity and it is easy to avoid them. But I did run into several rooms with only 1-2 plugs for everyone and I stayed at one place with no plugs in the room at all. They had all charging stations in the hall (was that Orisson perhaps?). I didn't know which places didn't have enough plugs until I was in the dorm room. Of course, someone who is fluent in Spanish can discuss with albergue hosts in advance of making reservations or checking in ;) Always need to be aware that this is a possibility. But the majority of albergues it was not an issue at all.
The first thing my husband does when we arrive anywhere is plug in his CPAP to make sure the outlet is hot. At least one time it was not and the hospitalero moved him to a different room. Usually they will drag out an extension cord for you to use and tape it to the floor to prevent trip hazards. In one place with no electricity in the bunk room, the hospitalero called over to the hotel owned by the same family and got him a discounted room. Usually hospitaleros are very resourceful if they know you need a plug. Plus the CPAP almost guarantees that the others won't be stuck listening to your snore. I recall one night in Viana when we on wall-to-wall mats in a room at the paroquial when he got stuck between me and another pilgrim. We were both snoring and keeping him awake!!! o_O

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I stayed in Orisson in 2016, there were plugs in our room. For those places where the charging stations where in the hall, hospitaleros have taped an extension cord to the floor to get electricity to those of us using cpaps. I found that I was not the only pilgrim using one.

If you purchase a small travel cpap, expect a little bit of awe from those pilgrims carrying a full size one.

Phil

My husband has used both the Transcend and the Z2. He wore out the Transcend model out after 5 years of travel using tape to hold it together eventually. He bought the Z2 last summer. It is a little lighter and did not come with the interchangeable plug. He does have the battery, but does not recommend it for the Camino as it is heavy.
I used the Z2 on my Camino last Fall. I never had a problem finding an outlet, but I also brought a 10 foot extension cord which I needed to use several times. The Z2 worked great for me.

Also he does not use the water reservoir, but HME filters. One will last a week so you have to plan ahead and have some to carry along, but the pack gets lighter as you throw one away each week.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I stayed in Orisson in 2016, there were plugs in our room. For those places where the charging stations where in the hall, hospitaleros have taped an extension cord to the floor to get electricity to those of us using cpaps. I found that I was not the only pilgrim using one.

If you purchase a small travel cpap, expect a little bit of awe from those pilgrims carrying a full size one.

Phil
Yeah, I couldn't recall if it was Orisson for sure - I do remember it being somewhere early in my Camino though.

I have the Transcend Auto. It was the only travel CPAP available locally when I bought it, so I don't have a view on which of the two might be better.
Unless you plan to camp or stay somewhere like San Anton, where there is no electricity, you should be able to rely on using mains power. Tell the hospitalero you are using a CPAP when you arrive and ask for a bed near a power point.
The Transcend comes with a selection of different plug types - UK, UK, Europe and AS/NZ, but I also carry a universal travel adaptor with four USB ports. This means I can use just one power point, and then I carry just the one plug type for my CPAP.
If you do plan to take a battery, I would suggest something that might claim to be multi-night. I was talking to someone using the Transcend with the smaller of the battery options available at the time, and he said he never got a full night from the battery.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I like only having to carry one power point.

The first thing my husband does when we arrive anywhere is plug in his CPAP to make sure the outlet is hot. At least one time it was not and the hospitalero moved him to a different room. Usually they will drag out an extension cord for you to use and tape it to the floor to prevent trip hazards. In one place with no electricity in the bunk room, the hospitalero called over to the hotel owned by the same family and got him a discounted room. Usually hospitaleros are very resourceful if they know you need a plug. Plus the CPAP almost guarantees that the others won't be stuck listening to your snore. I recall one night in Viana when we on wall-to-wall mats in a room at the paroquial when he got stuck between me and another pilgrim. We were both snoring and keeping him awake!!! o_O
I think my wife is used to my snoring ... but we may bring our own ext cord just in case.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think my wife is used to my snoring ... but we may bring our own ext cord just in case.
Kindly don't use cord for garrotting offenders! I keep a beady eye open for all anti-snoring tips for my next trip in April, hopefully if pandemics and megalomaniacs permit :) Thank god for getting old and indulging in private rooms :)

Buen camino

Samarkand.

Sometimes wall outlets are not conveniently close to the bunks! You'll have to be very selective for choice of bunk or albergue. One albergue I stayed at had wiring/electrical issues. People were charging their phones at sink in washroom as it was the only place where you could get electricity. Shortly after I had arrived the entire building blacked out. Even the kitchen was on hold till the proprietor(s) reset things.

Hello,
I highly recommend the Resmed Air Mini CPAP machine. It was the lightest/smallest CPAP machine I could find. It is super quiet, although to the person wearing the mask the sound of breathing through a straw is a bit louder than my regular machine. I did ask others in the room if my CPAP was disruptive, and everyone said it was very quiet and many who didn't see my machine had no idea I was using one. I can't comment on the other CPAP machines because I haven't used them. That said - while a battery pack can be beneficial to have while traveling, they tend to be heavier than the machine itself. I brought one with on a backpacking Europe trip (you know - the kind where you go city to city via train). Just walking from train stations to the hotels/hostels I found that the extra weight of the battery was not worth the back pain caused by any extra weight in my pack. Because of that - I refused to bring my battery last summer when walking the Camino. On the Camino - most albergues, hostels, and hotels will have a plug you can access for your CPAP machine. However, at some albergues/hostels you will NOT have access to the plug (there may be only a couple plugs for an entire dorm room or no plugs in the room at all - I only had 1 place with no plugs in the room). Most nights, I DID have access to a plug. So most nights I was able to plug in my CPAP machine. But for me, while my sleep apnea was severe - I wasn't worried that I would die in my sleep due to the apnea - so the nights I could not plug in didn't worry me (other than wondering if I snored too loud - thankfully others said my snore was very quiet). Please assess whether or not your wife can go occasional nights without her CPAP machine if she choses not to carry a battery and stay in dorm rooms which may or may not have access to plugs, she should speak with her apnea doctor regarding this. If not, either bringing the battery would be a must - or getting private rooms where you can guarantee a plug would be a must, at least in some towns. Also, many with CPAP machines bring an extension cord. I found that I was fine with the long plug and long tubing most nights and did NOT carry an extension cord. Again - I knew I would be OK skipping a night or two without my CPAP. Others may not be alright without it.
Did you have any problem with dryness with the Resmed Mini since it doesn't use water?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kindly don't use cord for garrotting offenders! I keep a beady eye open for all anti-snoring tips for my next trip in April, hopefully if pandemics and megalomaniacs permit :) Thank god for getting old and indulging in private rooms :)

Buen camino

Samarkand.
😁

My wife and I are planning the CF in May. She'd like any recommendation or comment on travel CPAP machines.
She's looking at 2 models right now: Transcend Transcend 3 miniCPAP Auto or BREAS Z2 CPAP (either auto or fixed pressure). And would you recommend the multi-night battery or should she plan on being able to use the wall plugs.

Thanks a bunch!
As other have mentioned here, the Resmed Air Mini is the best option. Yesterday I bought mine here in Australia. I am not considering taking the battery. However, someone here mentioned the 10 foot extension cord, which it is important. I also bought a Australia-Europe travel adaptor with two ports for USB. This will allow other users to charge their phones if I am using the electricity plug.
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are not affiliated with this company, but use Second Wind CPAP as an online source to find factory refurbished machines. Phil got his first travel machine there in 2015 at about half the new price. They don't always have exactly what you want in stock, but if you have time and are looking for a backup travel machine they are worth a look from time to time. We are in the US so I'm not sure if their stock is available to those in other countries.

Did you have any problem with dryness with the Resmed Mini since it doesn't use water?
There are humidifying filters available for the Resmed mini, Transcend, and HDM Z2. You can use the same brand for both the Transcend and the Z2. They are called heat moisture exchangers or HME's. For the Resmed mini moisture is added by use of HumidX or HumidX Plus devices that can only be used with the Resmed Air Fit N20 or P10 masks. So we don't have to get really dry when using a cpap.

As other have mentioned here, the Resmed Air Mini is the best option.
There are very few good sources that compare travel CPAP machines. The article here from the Sleep Foundation is one more recent one, which supports your view, if you can afford the higher price of the Resmed device and are prepared to accept the extra noise it makes. It suggests a Transcend machine offers better value for money.

While the Sleep Foundation appears to offer strong protections around the independence of its testing and rigour of its review processes, it is still a commercial company dependent on its commercial sponsors. Here is another review from an organisation with similar commercial links.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
if you can afford the higher price of the Resmed device and are prepared to accept the extra noise it makes.
Just a comment on this statement: The Resmed Air Mini itself is pretty close to silent. But the "noise" it does make is you can hear the "breathing through a straw" sound louder than other machines. I think it is because the tubing is skinnier (smaller diameter) than most CPAP tubing. So - the machine is quieter that most machines, but the tubing is a little louder. That said - when I wear my Air Mini, "I" notice the breathing through a straw sound is louder, but others around me always tell me they didn't notice it. I am willing to trade the little bit of noise "I" hear for the super small and super light CPAP and the tubing that takes up less space. It is of course, one of the more expensive options. I want my HOME CPAP machine to be as quiet as possible. I want my TRAVEL CPAP to be quiet too, but size space and weight are more important for travel, as long as the "noise" doesn't disrupt others. And it doesn't. At least - not according anyone who has shared a bedroom or dorm room with me! Oh - and the lack of need for water for humidification is a huge travel bonus. The humidX disks are also super small and super light and 1-2 disks are good for the entire length of a Camino (unless adding multiple countries to walk through)

Just a comment on this statement: The Resmed Air Mini itself is pretty close to silent. But the "noise" it does make is you can hear the "breathing through a straw" sound louder than other machines. I think it is because the tubing is skinnier (smaller diameter) than most CPAP tubing. So - the machine is quieter that most machines, but the tubing is a little louder. That said - when I wear my Air Mini, "I" notice the breathing through a straw sound is louder, but others around me always tell me they didn't notice it. I am willing to trade the little bit of noise "I" hear for the super small and super light CPAP and the tubing that takes up less space. It is of course, one of the more expensive options. I want my HOME CPAP machine to be as quiet as possible. I want my TRAVEL CPAP to be quiet too, but size space and weight are more important for travel, as long as the "noise" doesn't disrupt others. And it doesn't. At least - not according anyone who has shared a bedroom or dorm room with me! Oh - and the lack of need for water for humidification is a huge travel bonus. The humidX disks are also super small and super light and 1-2 disks are good for the entire length of a Camino (unless adding multiple countries to walk through)
I am not sure what methodology was used by cpap.com, but its tests indicate that the Resmed Air Mini noise level is 4dB higher than the two other travel machines tested. It might be over a low base, but it indicates that the Resmed is over twice as loud as the other machines tested. That would be a noticeable difference. The link to the evaluation report is in my earlier post.

I used the Z2 on my Camino last Fall. I never had a problem finding an outlet, but I also brought a 10 foot extension cord which I needed to use several times. The Z2 worked great for me.
May I ask, do you also use the Z2 at home or a regular CPAP machine?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am not sure what methodology was used by cpap.com, but its tests indicate that the Resmed Air Mini noise level is 4dB higher than the two other travel machines tested. It might be over a low base, but it indicates that the Resmed is over twice as loud as the other machines tested. That would be a noticeable difference. The link to the evaluation report is in my earlier post.
I understand where you are getting your info... but I am just relaying first hand experience. I described the noises I do hear, so those deciding on a machine have a little feedback from someone who has the Resmed Air Mini, and can make a more informed decision. Not all noise is equal. Most people can tolerate the breathing through a straw sound whereas a more mechanical sound is more likely to be noticeable and bothersome to the user and others. It helps to know what kind of noise the user might hear, not just what some rating company reports it's dB level to be.

Thanks a bunch!
Hi, I was planning to buy the BREAS Z2 but was told it is discontinued so on further search I found an BMC M1 auto CPAP machine, worth a look, not used mine yet but is small and lightweight at 30db noise which is pretty quiet, cost me £640, much quieter than snoring and quick delivery.

The machine came with a nostril mask but I will be using my full face mask I use at home as the M1 I used a stranded tube and fittings.

I have also bought a lightweight 3 mitre European extension lead which is much cheaper than buying night batteries and lighter, you should always be within 3 metres of a wall socket.

If I can help you or anyone else on this matter please message me.

I found an BMC M1 auto CPAP machine, worth a look, not used mine yet but is small and lightweight at 30db noise which is pretty quiet, cost me £640, much quieter than snoring and quick delivery.
Hi Peter,
I am also considering buying the BMC M1. I returned the Air Mini because it was too noisy for me (and my wife next to me).
Have you tested the BMC M1? how noisy is it?
Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Peter,
I am also considering buying the BMC M1. I returned the Air Mini because it was too noisy for me (and my wife next to me).
Have you tested the BMC M1? how noisy is it?
Thanks.
Hi , I have not tried my BMC M1 as yet, I have been waiting for some inline humidifier filters which came today so will be setting up my machine in the next couple of days and will post again.
I am walking the Santiago/ Finisterre/Muxia/Santiago circuit starting 10th April and will be using my M1 there.

We are not affiliated with this company, but use Second Wind CPAP as an online source to find factory refurbished machines. Phil got his first travel machine there in 2015 at about half the new price. They don't always have exactly what you want in stock, but if you have time and are looking for a backup travel machine they are worth a look from time to time. We are in the US so I'm not sure if their stock is available to those in other countries.
It is, bought mine from them and had it shipped to Ireland. No problem in itself.
They will need a prescription (a simple GP letter is enough) with the pressure range.

BUT: be prepared to pay import duties and VAT on the machine, the shipping and those duties. It'll add approx 30% (varies with the local VAT rate, 23% in IE) to the purchase price. Still a pretty good deal compared to EU pricing.

Also be prepared that if you need service under warranty it's a bit more complicated because of the red tape involved with customs : you'll have to return it using zero value pro forma invoices and they'll have to issue an invoice stating it's a warranty replacement at $1 nominal value

Hi , I have not tried my BMC M1 as yet, I have been waiting for some inline humidifier filters which came today so will be setting up my machine in the next couple of days and will post again.
I am walking the Santiago/ Finisterre/Muxia/Santiago circuit starting 10th April and will be using my M1 there.
I have now tried the BMC M1 mini CPAP machine whist doing the Santiago Camino, I was informed by my mate that the machine did its job in stopping me snoring or prevented me from stop breathing so the machine does do what it is designed to do, but now the negatives, I was informed that there was a low noise of the air flowing down the pipe to the mask, not loud and not annoying, I understand it is called a white noise, not an annoying noise, also, it took some getting used to as the air pressure seamed more powerful than my ResMed 10 I use at home, after two weeks I was getting used to it.
The machine was easy to set up and found the support from the manufacturer was great.
I would not use this machine at home but ideal for backpacking as it is small and lightweight, it does work.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My wife and I were on the CF from May 1 to May 29. She used an HDM Z2. Her mask and tubes from her home machine fit perfectly. We also bought a MEDISTROM Pilot-12 Lite CPAP Battery. We used it 3 times when there were no outlets in the room or the outlet was on the opposite side of the room and using the extension cord would pose a trip hazard.
The battery only depleted 25% each night. Both are still available at:

I am not affiliated nor do I receive compensation. Just happy we found a solid solution.
Buen camino!

Hello,
Last January, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. It made me realise that I had to start walking to reduce my weight. I have lost the equivalent of 12 Kgs and plan to lose another 2 or 3 and maintaining that weight with frequent hikes. I am actually planning to hike from Auch (Gers, France) to Santiago probably through Saint Jean Pieds de Port.
I will probably have the Resmed Air Mini CPAP machine with me. Have you found problems with the machine itself and using it in albergues in Spain?

I will probably have the Resmed Air Mini CPAP machine with me. Have you found problems with the machine itself and using it in albergues in Spain?
I cannot speak to the reliability of that particular machine, but having used a CPAP on the Camino for my two most recent pilgrimages on the Iberian peninsula, I can assure you that you are unlikely to find any major difficulties.

Most people do not mind the noise of the machine, although I have had one person object to it. That was rather ironic, as it was the same individual who had disrupted the dormitory earlier in the evening with his alcohol-fueled snoring.

If I booked a bed in an albergue, I let the hospitalero know beforehand that I would like a bed near a power point. Otherwise, I requested that when I arrived. It was never a problem, although there was one hospitalero concerned about how noisy the machine was going to be. He was satisfied when I assured him that it would be quieter than my snoring if I didn't use the machine.

Not every albergue has power points in the dormitories. San Anton, which does not have electric power at all, comes to mind. If you did want to stay at such places, you will need a battery pack that will keep the machine going for six to eight hours, depending on how much sleep you think you will need to get.

I have seen pilgrims carry their machine in the case provided by the OEM. My observation is that these have a lot of wasted space, which I would rather avoid. For my machine, I purchased a padded case that is just the right size for the machine and its accessories. less the air hose, which I carry in a mesh bag.

It normally takes about 30 minutes in the morning for my machine to complete its drying routine, which I try to start as soon as I wake. This adds a little delay to getting away, but it is something that I got used to quickly enough.

That's all I can think of right now. If there are other things you want to know, just ask.

Last edited:

€83,-
We just carry our travel CPAP's in a stuff sack. We don't use water, but use HME filters and discard and get a new one each week. For that reason, my CPAP dose not need to dry as Doug's might. Tell the hospitalera/o in advance you need a plug. Most will do their best to make sure that happens. We've even had some who will run an extension cord taped to the floor to accommodate. One time, my husband had called ahead for a bed and there was no electricity in the room so the hospitalero called over to the hotel and got him a discouted private room. The only problem we have ever had was that my husband's hose developed a hole one year after about 45 days of walking and he had to use tape to seal it.

Last January, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. It made me realise that I had to start walking to reduce my weight. I have lost the equivalent of 12 Kgs and plan to lose another 2 or 3 and maintaining that weight with frequent hikes. I am actually planning to hike from Auch (Gers, France) to Santiago probably through Saint Jean Pieds de Port.
I walked last September camino frances (34 days) and used the Resmed Air mini. Fantastic little machine. First I bought the BMC M1 and used it for a week before the trip. I didn't like it. The Resmed Air mini was 10 times better.
I was able to plug in the CPAP in all albergues. At Albergue de San Nicolás de Puente Fitero, where there is no electricity, they have a separate room for one or two pilgrims who need to connect to a power point. You just need to contact them in advance.

No problems whatsoever! You just need an EU outlet adapter if you are from outside the EU. Only real issue you may encounter is location of plugs. But you can work around that. The only pilgrims that knew I was using one where pilgrims that I mentioned it to. Usually - I didn't say anything until morning when I asked if the machine disturbed their sleep. Their response was they didn't even know I was using it. After my first Camino - I found that at night I started removing it in my sleep, something I had never done before. I went back for another sleep study and they confirmed what I suspected - I no longer needed it! Keep getting more fit and losing more weight - and your problem just might go away. If you are lucky, anyway!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We just carry our travel CPAP's in a stuff sack. We don't use water, but use HME filters and discard and get a new one each week. For that reason, my CPAP dose not need to dry as Doug's might.
This is one reason I love the Resmed Air Mini - it doesn't use water - it has the discs.

And I have a hardshell case that fits snug to my Resmed Air Mini to protect the actual machine in case it falls or something when not in use - it doesn't weight much and doesn't take up any more room since it is so tiny. Then I put the Resmed Air Mini which is in it's snug fitting case - and put it and the tubing and other supplies in a ziplock baggie. Why a ziplock baggie and not a stuff sack? Because I can easily put it through the scanning machines at the airport and they can see exactly what is in the bag. Of course - I don't put the machine in it's hardshell case until after airport security because they need to see it.

No problems whatsoever! You just need an EU outlet adapter if you are from outside the EU. Only real issue you may encounter is location of plugs. But you can work around that. The only pilgrims that knew I was using one where pilgrims that I mentioned it to. Usually - I didn't say anything until morning when I asked if the machine disturbed their sleep. Their response was they didn't even know I was using it. After my first Camino - I found that at night I started removing it in my sleep, something I had never done before. I went back for another sleep study and they confirmed what I suspected - I no longer needed it! Keep getting more fit and losing more weight - and your problem just might go away. If you are lucky, anyway!
I am hoping....thanks for the added detail.

This is one reason I love the Resmed Air Mini - it doesn't use water - it has the discs.

And I have a hardshell case that fits snug to my Resmed Air Mini to protect the actual machine in case it falls or something when not in use - it doesn't weight much and doesn't take up any more room since it is so tiny. Then I put the Resmed Air Mini which is in it's snug fitting case - and put it and the tubing and other supplies in a ziplock baggie. Why a ziplock baggie and not a stuff sack? Because I can easily put it through the scanning machines at the airport and they can see exactly what is in the bag. Of course - I don't put the machine in it's hardshell case until after airport security because they need to see it.
I did not know that the Resmed Air Mini existed until I talked yesterday to my Sleep Apnea specialist about doing the Camino. He thought that it was an excellent idea in order to decompress from work related issues. Next time that I fly back to the US, instead of taking the normal cumbersome machine, I'll take the Resmed Air Mini and follow your modus operandi when flying.. Thanks a lot...a load off my mind..

I did not know that the Resmed Air Mini existed until I talked yesterday to my Sleep Apnea specialist about doing the Camino. He thought that it was an excellent idea in order to decompress from work related issues. Next time that I fly back to the US, instead of taking the normal cumbersome machine, I'll take the Resmed Air Mini and follow your modus operandi when flying.. Thanks a lot...a load off my mind..
We take our travel CPAP 'S on every trip overnight, not only the Camino. Originally bought them for camping and we have batteries that we don't take on the Camino, but that will last 7 nights when we are camping.

We take our travel CPAP 'S on every trip overnight, not only the Camino. Originally bought them for camping and we have batteries that we don't take on the Camino, but that will last 7 nights when we are camping.
To tell you the truth, while this Forum concerning sleep apnea issue has greatly comforted me, I can only wonder at this time ,how hostels or albergues treat people with the machine. The Forum seems to indicate that there is no problem except for a power source.
Why don't you take batteries on the Camino?

To tell you the truth, while this Forum concerning sleep apnea issue has greatly comforted me, I can only wonder at this time ,how hostels or albergues treat people with the machine. The Forum seems to indicate that there is no problem except for a power source.
Don't need a battery on the Camino. They are heavy and there are ample electrical outlets available. Only a few places don't have electricity.

My husband carries a card that asks in Spanish to be near an outlet. Hosputaleros are always accomodating.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You only need to take the battery when there are limited powersources on your trip. Think camping. Camping you need a battery quite often. Long distance backpacking you definitely need your battery if you can't go without your machine. You DON'T need a battery on the Camino. Plus - the battery weighs more than the machine. I backpacked across Spain with my Resmed Air Mini in my backpack and I did NOT ship it forward with luggage service. I had my battery in the beginning -but I mailed it home in Pamplona. And really -for me - I knew that would be fine because I CAN go a few nights without my CPAP if necessary. But really - it shouldn't be necessary to go without your CPAP. If concerned - make sure you have that extension cord. If you are VERY concerned - then go ahead and take your battery. But like I said - it shouldn't be a problem accessing plugs.

Albergue hosts and other pilgrims will understand for the most part - that you need the machine - and they will happily place you near a plug of trade beds with you. If you run across a Pilgrim who is concerned - you can simply reply "Well, my machine is very quiet and most people don't even notice the gentle 'white noise' it makes... but if it makes you happy I will leave it off tonight and and will snore really loud because I don't have the CPAP on if you prefer". That should make them reconsider any rudeness. Yes - you will possibly come across an occasional pilgrim who is rude - but my experience is the rude people are rude with everyone. And most people on the Camino understand. As long as you have a QUIET machine. People on forums who are scared of the noise of a CPAP have probably only ever heard the old machines which are really loud. The new machines are all pretty quiet. Seriously - the people with CPAP machines are NOT the disruption - loud snorers are.

Last edited by a moderator:
You only need to take the battery when there are limited powersources on your trip. Think camping. Camping you need a battery quite often. Long distance backpacking you definitely need your battery if you can't go without your machine. You DON'T need a battery on the Camino. Plus - the battery weighs more than the machine. I backpacked across Spain with my Resmed Air Mini in my backpack and I did NOT ship it forward with luggage service. I had my battery in the beginning -but I mailed it home in Pamplona. And really -for me - I knew that would be fine because I CAN go a few nights without my CPAP if necessary. But really - it shouldn't be necessary to go without your CPAP. If concerned - make sure you have that extension cord. If you are VERY concerned - then go ahead and take your battery. But like I said - it shouldn't be a problem accessing plugs.

Albergue hosts and other pilgrims will understand for the most part - that you need the machine - and they will happily place you near a plug of trade beds with you. If you run across a Pilgrim who is concerned - you can simply reply "Well, my machine is very quiet and most people don't even notice the gentle 'white noise' it makes... but if it makes you happy I will leave it off tonight and and will snore really loud because I don't have the CPAP on if you prefer". That should make them reconsider any rudeness. Yes - you will possibly come across an occasional pilgrim who is rude - but my experience is the rude people are rude with everyone. And most people on the Camino understand. As long as you have a QUIET machine. People on forums who are scared of the noise of a CPAP have probably only ever heard the old machines which are really loud. The new machines are all pretty quiet. Seriously - the people with CPAP machines are NOT the disruption - loud snorers are.
And now I have to find the darn machine, rent or purchase…thanks for the post.

Hi all,
I did a quick search and didn't find exactly what I had a question about. Sorry if I missed it.
I need to use a CPAP machine. Buying a travel machine would be a pretty big cost for me. And, I don't really need one, other than for this trip. My pack is a 48l Osprey, so I am not hurting for room.
For those who have a done the CF with a CPAP... Is it worth buying a travel machine just for The Camino? Also, I have a battery pack for my machine that weighs less than 1kg and gives me two nights use. Would you bring it also?
I have over a year until I go. So, if I really need the new machine, I can buckle down and save for one.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Greg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Gregbart ,
You don't need a battery. We carry a card to show the hospitalero that explains we have a cpap and need electricity.

Try Second window CPAP. They carry refurbished machines. That's where we bought my husband's first one. He's gone through 2 machines now since 2016. I have a travel machine now too. We take them whenever we travel and not just on the Camino.

It's worth it not to snore and annoy others and also to wake up feeling rested to have the travel machine in my opinion.

@Gregbart ,
You don't need a battery. We carry a card to show the hospitalero that explains we have a cpap and need electricity.

Try Second window CPAP. They carry refurbished machines. That's where we bought my husband's first one. He's gone through 2 machines now since 2016. I have a travel machine now too. We take them whenever we travel and not just on the Camino.

It's worth it not to snore and annoy others and also to wake up feeling rested to have the travel machine in my opinion.
Thanks for the recommendation on the refurbished machines. I'll check them out.
I agree with using a machine. My apnea is severe enough that I wouldn't consider doing without. Just wondering if it's worth the $ to get a travel machine, instead of taking the one I have.

Hi all,
I did a quick search and didn't find exactly what I had a question about. Sorry if I missed it.
I need to use a CPAP machine. Buying a travel machine would be a pretty big cost for me. And, I don't really need one, other than for this trip. My pack is a 48l Osprey, so I am not hurting for room.
For those who have a done the CF with a CPAP... Is it worth buying a travel machine just for The Camino? Also, I have a battery pack for my machine that weighs less than 1kg and gives me two nights use. Would you bring it also?
I have over a year until I go. So, if I really need the new machine, I can buckle down and save for one.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Greg
For me - having a travel sized machine is totally worth it's weight for a long distance hike. That said - some of the newer/smaller full size machines can also fit in backpacks - although with those you are more likely to want to ship your bag forward each day. I personally would not do that because I wouldn't want to worry about what if my bag gets lost with my expensive CPAP machine in it. I am sure lost bags don't happen often - but just like lost mail - I have had mine disappear more than once.

Battery is totally not necessary to bring. Bring an extension cord if you can't go a night without your machine. But you can also tell the albergue host that you need to be near a plug and if a bed near the plug is already unavailable - you can ask other pilgrims if one is willing to trade beds with you. If you explain that you need to be close to the outlet so you can use your QUIET sleeping machine - they will usually understand and accommodate. Especially since CPAP users usually snore very loud without their machine.

Pack your bag with your gear and your machine and go on some hikes to see how carrying it feels! My full size machine is pretty small and light - but I prefer to hike with my travel Resmed Air Mini. I do NOT carry the battery for the Camino (I did - but mailed it home).

€60,-
For me - having a travel sized machine is totally worth it's weight for a long distance hike. That said - some of the newer/smaller full size machines can also fit in backpacks - although with those you are more likely to want to ship your bag forward each day. I personally would not do that because I wouldn't want to worry about what if my bag gets lost with my expensive CPAP machine in it. I am sure lost bags don't happen often - but just like lost mail - I have had mine disappear more than once.

Battery is totally not necessary to bring. Bring an extension cord if you can't go a night without your machine. But you can also tell the albergue host that you need to be near a plug and if a bed near the plug is already unavailable - you can ask other pilgrims if one is willing to trade beds with you. If you explain that you need to be close to the outlet so you can use your QUIET sleeping machine - they will usually understand and accommodate. Especially since CPAP users usually snore very loud without their machine.

Pack your bag with your gear and your machine and go on some hikes to see how carrying it feels! My full size machine is pretty small and light - but I prefer to hike with my travel Resmed Air Mini. I do NOT carry the battery for the Camino (I did - but mailed it home).
Good suggestions,
The air mini is the one I was looking at. Unfortunately, my insurance won't cover any of the cost. I'll load everything up and check the weight. I have plenty of opportunities to go on longer (10+ miles) hikes. Really glad to hear I don't need a battery.
Thanks

€83,-
Good suggestions,
The air mini is the one I was looking at. Unfortunately, my insurance won't cover any of the cost. I'll load everything up and check the weight. I have plenty of opportunities to go on longer (10+ miles) hikes. Really glad to hear I don't need a battery.
Thanks
Yeah - unfortunately insurance rarely covers the cost of a travel size machine and yes - they are expensive! Definitely check other brands too - I wanted the smallest/lightest, but there are a couple others that are comparable.

We use a smaller bag than 65L and both carry CPAP machines. My new pack is 10L larger than my 32L for that reason. It is still cavernous and temps me to add more stuff so be careful with larger size packs.
What CPAP machine did you both carry? I currently have a heavy stationary ResMed at the side of my bed, and cannot see carrying that with mask and transformer for the entire journey.

We have Z2 travel machines. My husband had a refurbished Transcend travel machine for several years, but he wore it out and the case was held together with tape.

We just carry them in a regular stuff sack. No water, we just use HME filters which last 7 days each.

€60,-
We have Z2 travel machines. My husband had a refurbished Transcend travel machine for several years, but he wore it out and the case was held together with tape.

We just carry them in a regular stuff sack. No water, we just use HME filters which last 7 days each.
What is the weight of that machine? Any idea? Just wondering. I had to look up what a "stuff sack" was..have been over in Europe too long and am losing my notions of American English. LOL.

Last edited:
The machine itself is weighs about 11 oz or about 310 grams. There is also the cord, hose, mask etc. I would say half a kilo by the time you add all the stuff.

I am having a second sleep apnea test done in early January and am currently looking to RENT the machine for 6 weeks. I would like to leave AUCH around April 17th with the gear if that is possible. Thanks for the precise informatio as it is much appreciated.

€83,-
This summer will be my 6th time somewhere on the Camino. I have never had to do without my Cpap at night. As @J Willhaus mentioned, I carry a 3x5 card in Spanish that says I have a medical device and need access to an electrical outlet. It is amazing how much help I received from hospitaleros and fellow pilgrims to access an electrical outlet. I also had pilgrims move closer to where I was sleeping as they said the Cpap would keep me from snoring. Yes there are a few albergues without outlets. As much as I would like to, I just don't stay there.

I originally purchased a used, factory refurbished Transcend back in late 2015 or early 2016. It has traveled all over the United States and to Europe. It has been on the Camino 4 times. It served me well. Unfortunately, hard use, being tossed in a backpack, falling off of the side of the bed, and so on resulted in it being held together with packing tape. I purchased a HDM Z2 last summer (2021) and carried it fall of 2021. I didn't get the Resmed Mini Cpap due to cost. I did not carry a battery on any of my trips to Spain or other travels except when camping in a national forest or wilderness area.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino!

Phil
I am currently having problems obtaining a traveling CPAP machine here in Europe. I have a full ResMed at home, and frankly spending 1500 either in Euros, Dollars or even Swiss Francs is too much for a travel machine. Any ideas would be helpful.

Yes, I see they are very expensive in Europe. We were able to get our machines refurbished so they were less expensive. Is there anywhere in Europe where that is possible?

€60,-
OK, keep checking back often. You might contact that company and see if they get any travel units and if they would contact you when they do. The company we got our first one from was often "out" of the model we wanted so we just had to keep checking until one became available. The company we used was willing to work with us and we have bought several things from them since that time.

I am currently having problems obtaining a traveling CPAP machine here in Europe. I have a full ResMed at home, and frankly spending 1500 either in Euros, Dollars or even Swiss Francs is too much for a travel machine. Any ideas would be helpful.
That seems high. Locally travel machines appear to be 25% or more less expensive, but much depends on the packaging of accessories, so it is difficult to know how much of a premium the prices you are seeing represent. I don't have anything to add to the suggestions by @J Willhaus, and just hope you find a solution that you can afford.

Yes, in the US I did pay full price for my travel machine last year and it was about $600 which would be about 600 euros or less with current exchange rates. My husband got a refurbished one for about half that. I don't have the ResMed Mini which seems to be more expensive and my Z2 works with my current hoses, head gear, etc. I do have to buy the HME filters separately, but they are very inexpensive and we buy them in bulk since my husband and I both use them...each one lasts a week.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have acquaintances in the US that regularly come here..could you give me the name or link where you purchased the refurbished machine? Thanks.

Just underwent a sleep apnea test. the doc says to leave home WITHOUT the CPAC machine because walking the Camino will make you lose weight and help you sleep. Wondering what to do…

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Do you snore? If you don't use it, consider private rooms to be couteous to other pilgrims. With one you are less likely to snore.

€60,-
The trouble is that I live in Europe and the purchase is over 1500.00 euros/dolllars.
Get one from the US. The supplier will need a prescription from your GP.
Just remember to add the VAT rate and a couple of % for import duties and you're good to go. You should, depending on your country, be able to do claim the total cost as a health related expense in your tax return. Make sure you get a model for which you can get parts in France. Be aware that in case of warranty claims it's a bit of a headache with customs but it's possible.

I imported 3 machines from the US to date, no problems. There's a company that sells refurbished machines, www.Secondwindcpap.com I think at a considerable discount. Have used them in the past.

Get one from the US. The supplier will need a prescription from your GP.
Just remember to add the VAT rate and a couple of % for import duties and you're good to go. You should, depending on your country, be able to do claim the total cost as a health related expense in your tax return. Make sure you get a model for which you can get parts in France. Be aware that in case of warranty claims it's a bit of a headache with customs but it's possible.

I imported 3 machines from the US to date, no problems. There's a company that sells refurbished machines, www.Secondwindcpap.com I think at a considerable discount. Have used them in the past.
Thanks. I am currently looking at a company in Bulgaria that exports « similar product». Bringing refurbished products from the US with 110 volts versus 220, transformer and little guarantee if it goes wrong..makes me wonder how you imported 3 working machines.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks. I am currently looking at a company in Bulgaria that exports « similar product». Bringing refurbished products from the US with 110 volts versus 220, transformer and little guarantee if it goes wrong..makes me wonder how you imported 3 working machines.
Voltage is not an issue: travel cpap have a 110V-240V power supply and often come with 3 different plug adapters.
You still have the manufacturer's or the refurbisher's warranty, typically 1 or 2 years. However, it does involve shipping the defective device back and modesr customs costs. It needs a pro forma invoice at $1 clearly stating "defective device for repair" when shipped for repair, and "warranty replacement" for the new device.

To me, the price differential makes it worth the risk.

Voltage is not an issue: travel cpap have a 110V-240V power supply and often come with 3 different plug adapters.
You still have the manufacturer's or the refurbisher's warranty, typically 1 or 2 years. However, it does involve shipping the defective device back and modesr customs costs. It needs a pro forma invoice at $1 clearly stating "defective device for repair" when shipped for repair, and "warranty replacement" for the new device.

To me, the price differential makes it worth the risk.
I have about 45 days to make a decision on this. Thanks for the input.

Yes, we are going to be at Arrés on the Camino Aragones the first half of June as hospitaleros. Looking forward to it as it is a lovely and simple albergue. We stayed there last year on the walking part of our Camino before we went back and served at Canfranc Pueblo.

Yes, we are going to be at Arrés on the Camino Aragones the first half of June as hospitaleros. Looking forward to it as it is a lovely and simple albergue. We stayed there last year on the walking part of our Camino before we went back and served at Canfranc Pueblo.
Looks like I will miss meeting you.

Hello, and thank you for your inquiry. I've been using CPAP for many years, and I truly believe it saved my life. These machines save lives! Here are my thoughts if you intend to travel with a CPAP: Assume you have two identical machines, the Transcend 3 Mini and the BREAS Z2. In my opinion, the Transcend Mini is the better option. The Transcend is more compact than the Z2. Z2 is less expensive than Transcend, but it includes a heated hose, and a good hose is roughly half the price of the machine, so I'd rather pay more for a machine and get a good hose. I hope you find my response helpful.

I am taking the Travel mini ResMed with me because with the last exams, not sure whether a CPAC machine is needed for all nights. Given that I will be hiking the CF in two parts, I will be able to see whether that respirator is needed after walking each day about 20-25 kms. Doctor says one thing, and the body may be saying something else.

€60,-
I did not think I needed a CPAP but about 12 months ago, my doctor screened me for sleep apnea. I thought I was having trouble staying asleep due to other life events. I started wearing a CPAP with nasal pillows and I began to sleep and feel better right away. It is worth it to me to have my machine on the Camino. I leave the big machine with me at home and take my small one with me wherever I travel.

I did not think I needed a CPAP but about 12 months ago, my doctor screened me for sleep apnea. I thought I was having trouble staying asleep due to other life events. I started wearing a CPAP with nasal pillows and I began to sleep and feel better right away. It is worth it to me to have my machine on the Camino. I leave the big machine with me at home and take my small one with me wherever I travel.
i will have to see how things work out after hiking many kilometres per day. My doctor encouraged me to walk without any machine..Given the better sleep activity, and needing to sleep after a day full of excitement, I will hike with the machine on the first two week sprint from France to Spain. That test hike will probably tell me to continue traveling with it or not. Losing more weight may help to eradicate the apnea and the dependence on medications against diabetes. interestingly enough, apparently, but not in all cases, the two problems are often linked.

I have seen and I accept the posts suggesting you don’t need a battery for your travel CPAP. You just show your little Spanish language CPAP card and everyone moves heaven and earth to accommodate you. It’s the Camino way.

However, it is also the Camino way not to be demanding and doing that would be a source of uncertainty and discomfort, if not anxiety, for me each night, so I am toying with an alternative approach, using the rechargeable power bank battery that I will be carrying anyway. There has been extensive discussion of this option on cpaptalk.com over a number of years.

I am not an electrical engineer or CPAP technician so the following is just a summary of the latest conclusion on cpaptalk and you need to check it out for yourself before acting on this. This will probably void any remaining warranty on the CPAP.

Taking the Breas Z2 as an example, it needs a max of 35w (typically 20w) at 15v DC. This is what the standard Z2 power adapter delivers. The power socket on the machine takes a 5.5mm by 2.1mm round barrel plug with positive centre pin. The latest larger power banks such as the Nitecore NB20000 are capable of 45w and there are wall chargers capable of 100W total through 4 USB outlets.

The key to it all is “PD” (Power delivery) technology whereby a tiny chip negotiates with a compatible power source, telling it to provide the voltage required - in this case 15v. The Nitecore is a PD device, as are most of the 100W wall chargers. So the final item required is a “PD trigger cable” set for 15v and with the USB plug of your choice at the power source end and a 5.5 X 2.1 center + plug at the CPAP end. Get a fat wire version capable of 3A. Jacobsparts in the US sell a suitable cable with the PD chip incorporated. The Nitecore reportedly has enough capacity for 2 nights or even more at low pressure settings. I would leave the CPAP’s own charger at home. It has the wrong (UK 3 pin) plug anyway.

So if I have a bunkside socket, happy days! (or rather nights). I can run the CPAP directly off the wall charger while also charging both my phone and power bank and having a USB socket left over for my bunk neighbour.

If there is a socket but it is remote, I can run the CPAP from the power bank and charge my phone at the socket using the wall charger while sharing the other 3 USB sockets with other peregrinos.

No sockets available whatsoever? Then I run the CPAP from the battery and charge the phone from the power bank while walking the next day. The power bank can be topped up by ‘surfing’ café power outlets during the day or charging at the next albergue on arrival.

If you have read this far, you may be able pick holes in my strategy. If so, please go ahead. That’s why I am posting the idea.

€46,-
If you have read this far, you may be able pick holes in my strategy. If so, please go ahead. That’s why I am posting the idea.
There are a couple of things you might want to check:
  • the power delivery curve of the power bank you are proposing to use at the higher discharge voltage you are proposing to use. The device you discuss is 20,000 mAh at 3.85 V, which drops to 13,500 mAh at 5 V. Does it drop further at a higher delivery voltage?
  • Do you know if the pressure you need requires more than the typical power consumption for your CPAP.
  • How long you normally sleep with the CPAP running.
Let me assume that the average power requirement is 20 W and you sleep for 7 hours, that looks like 140 Wh, about twice what might be available from this power bank at a much lower delivery voltage than you need. I think you need someone who can do an accurate power budget calculation to help you with this.

Last edited:
There are a couple of things you might want to check:
  • the power delivery curve of the power bank you are proposing to use at the higher discharge voltage you are proposing to use. The device you discuss is 20,000 mAh at 3.85 V, which drops to 13,500 mAh at 5 V. Does it drop further at a higher delivery voltage?
  • Do you know if the pressure you need requires more than the typical power consumption for your CPAP.
  • How long you normally sleep with the CPAP running.
Let me assume that the average power requirement is 20 W and you sleep for 7 hours, that looks like 140 Wh, about twice what might be available from this power bank at a much lower delivery voltage than you need. I think you need someone who can do an accurate power budget calculation to help you with this.
Those are very good points Doug. Let me look into it further. I will post here again if I find any good information

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can anybody help out with the text of this oft-mentioned card. Now that I'm getting prepared to print and laminate a card for this purpose, I can't locate the text I captured elsewhere. Thanks in advance, everybody.

Can anybody help out with the text of this oft-mentioned card. Now that I'm getting prepared to print and laminate a card for this purpose, I can't locate the text I captured elsewhere. Thanks in advance, everybody.
I will see if I can find it and take a picture for you when I get home tonight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OK, I found it from another personal message thread. I am not sure if all the accent marks are there or not. Just substitute your own name for Phil's:

"Senor Phillip Woodford sufre de Apnea and requiere la ayuda de un aparato respiratorio para dormir. Esto significa que Sr. Woodford necesita acceso a una toma eletrica durante la noche. La cantidad de electricidad usada es minima, pero es esencial para su confort Y salud. Muchas gracias for su ayuda."

€46,-
Would it not better to use « enchufe electrico » (electric plug) than electrical outlet?
Yes, maybe. The lady who did this for us in 2016 was from South America and we have never changed it. People still managed to understand what was needed. Now I can actually ask for it in Spanish, but Phil still always carries this card in the bag with his CPAP stuff.

Yes, maybe. The lady who did this for us in 2016 was from South America and we have never changed it. People still managed to understand what was needed. Now I can actually ask for it in Spanish, but Phil still always carries this card in the bag with his CPAP stuff.
Concerning the CPAP machine…the travel kind, as mentioned earlier..am hoping to receive it this week (national general strike in France permitting) and am curious to see how it will work, how it will fit in my rucksack and the noise it makes. Finally found a company that rents this equipment.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.