• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cpap user

Steve O'Connor

Time of past OR future Camino
August (2015)
I'm starting my first Camino in SJPP October 4th. I'm in excellent health except that I have central apnea, requiring my to sleep with a respirator. I would like to stay mostly in albergues but I need to sleep near an electrical outlet. I'll bring a 2 meter extension cord with me. Is it realistic for me to think that this will be possible?
I can afford to stay in pensions but I was only planning to do this occasionally.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm starting my first Camino in SJPP October 4th. I'm in excellent health except that I have central apnea, requiring my to sleep with a respirator. I would like to stay mostly in albergues but I need to sleep near an electrical outlet. I'll bring a 2 meter extension cord with me. Is it realistic for me to think that this will be possible?
I can afford to stay in pensions but I was only planning to do this occasionally.
I have mild sleep apnea and have just started to use a CPAP. Its too big and too heavy and I'm not going to pack it. Can you find outlets yes but be warned, there will be competition for the outlets. You might consider Hostels with rooms or private accommodations on your Camino. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I walked about four years ago with a man who had a CPAP with him. He had no problem getting beds near outlets -- no one ever complained about having to shuffle around so he could plug it in. That said, there are lots more electronics on the camino these days, so you might consider bringing along an adapter plug that works in Spain and that has two outlets in it. That way you can turn one plug into two plugs and would never have to worry, I would think.

And btw, the people sleeping near you will rejoice at your machine. I always hustled to get a bunk near my CPAP pal, because the white noise it produces is the best antidote to snoring, WAY better than earplugs! Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are leaving in ten days for the Camino Frances. I use a cpap. If you have the extra money and are planning more walking hiking wilderness travel you might consider investing in a transcend unit. They are light weight and the battery pack and charger are pretty light also. I think the whole package comes in around 2.5 lbs. I tried mine the last two nights and found I can get 13 hours on one charge. It recharges in about 4 hours, so if I can't get a plug at night I can maybe recharge prior to bedtime. The total cost was around $675.00. A bit high and insurance doesn't pay for these units, or mine doesn't anyway.
Buen Camino
Jim and Ann

I would say most hospitaleros are now familiar with the particular needs of pilgrims like you and there should be some solidarity with other pilgrims, I love having a plug near me for charging the mobile, but I would imagine fellow piligrims would understand whose needs are more important.

Buen camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I survived sleep apnea for decades without a CPAP, so even though I am a daily user for seven years now, I leave it at home for walking the camino. Sleep on your side to minimize snoring. What works for me may not work for you. I have never thought of the medical profession as god-like, so I ignore a lot of advice from them. ;) Don't get your medical advice from me...

Statins* are a scam, by the way: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TBCXBK/?tag=casaivar02-20

* while talking about medicine, not CPAP

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I survived sleep apnea for decades without a CPAP, so even though I am a daily user for seven years now, I leave it at home for walking the camino. Sleep on your side to minimize snoring. What works for me may not work for you. I have never thought of the medical profession as god-like, so I ignore a lot of advice from them. ;) Don't get your medical advice from me...

Statins* are a scam, by the way: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TBCXBK/?tag=casaivar02-20

* while talking about medicine, not CPAP
Statins are a scam unless you are the one person in 400 that they actually help, then not so much.

@falcon269 , the op did say central apnea, sleeping on his side will not help as in this case the issue is with the brain, not the physical blockage of the airways. And frankly I think snoring is the least of the op's concern. The good news is that more and more albergues now have plugs by each bed, to cater to phones, cameras and tablets. I think that between contacting albergues where the op wants to spend the night and asking about outlets and making resevations there based on getting a bed near an outlet and using an extension cord things should be ok. Also, getting there earliwr rather than later can help secure a bed near a plug.

@falcon269 , the op did say central apnea, sleeping on his side will not help as in this case the issue is with the brain, not the physical blockage of the airways. And frankly I think snoring is the least of the op's concern. The good news is that more and more albergues now have plugs by each bed, to cater to phones, cameras and tablets. I think that between contacting albergues where the op wants to spend the night and asking about outlets and making resevations there based on getting a bed near an outlet and using an extension cord things should be ok. Also, getting there earliwr rather than later can help secure a bed near a plug.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I want to thank everyone who has responded to my "Cpap user" post, it's been very helpful. Because i have central apnea i actually use an automatic servo ventilator (ASV), it's a Cpap on steroids. It weighs just over 4 pounds with the humidifier removed. Going without it is not an option.
After reading your replies i will definitely try the albergues. If it doesn't work out on a given night i can always move on.
Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve - I walked the Camino in 2012 and was in a room with about 8 people at a hostel where one of them was using a CPAP machine.I found it really good because the steady low volume noise of the machine seemed to blank out the snorers - good one !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are leaving in ten days for the Camino Frances. I use a cpap. If you have the extra money and are planning more walking hiking wilderness travel you might consider investing in a transcend unit. They are light weight and the battery pack and charger are pretty light also. I think the whole package comes in around 2.5 lbs. I tried mine the last two nights and found I can get 13 hours on one charge. It recharges in about 4 hours, so if I can't get a plug at night I can maybe recharge prior to bedtime. The total cost was around $675.00. A bit high and insurance doesn't pay for these units, or mine doesn't anyway.
Buen Camino
Jim and Ann

Steve,
My husband also uses the Transcend2 unit. The actual unit weigh right at 1 pound.We have the battery, etc., but only use it for camping. We did not take the battery on the camino. My husband had a small note card that explained in Spanish that he had a CPAP and asked if he could be near an outlet at night. He was always accommodated and most people were glad he had it rather than listen to him snoring or worse yet--the tense non-breathing periods when he does stop snoring. There are also other threads on the forum with information about various brands, etc. If you are interested and will do a search, I am sure you will find them. Buen Camino! I'm sure you'll feel better sleeping with the CPAP.

My husband also uses the Transcend2 unit. The actual unit weigh right at 1 pound.We have the battery, etc., but only use it for camping.
My question now is ... when will they make minimalistic hoses? Who ever thought the hose would be a "bigger" drag to haul than the machine. Those things are bulky and delicate.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, had to repair the hose with duct tape toward the end of the Camino, but it did hold up until we returned home.:)
CPAP equipment is one of the few reasons I was ok having backpacks transported. And that wa the CPAP equipment only. But with the new Resmed... that ship has sailed. :rolleyes:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.