• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cracked phone screen - what would you do?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Four weeks before I leave for the Camino and for the first time ever, I have a cracked phone screen. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and replace my phone now, or just go with it as is. I know that lots of people use their phones with cracked screens for a long time, but I guess that I'm just worried that it will get worse, and that I may have to replace it while I'm on the Camino - I don't want to have to shop for a new phone then.

Part of me sees it as an opportunity to replace my 4 year old phone with one that has dual sim capability and other features, but of course I'd rather not spend the money, because my current phone works perfectly well.

I'm looking for those who have had cracked screens, and if it caused any problems for them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Find a cracked screen place at home so you know where to go if it gets worse (A brand found where I am is called Ubreakifix). where I live they are in a strip mall, about one to a neighborhood near the grocery. You don't need to get it replaced until it interferes with your phone's function. If the screen starts to break up, go get it fixed. It will take about an hour and run 89-129 or so depending on your area. No need to buy a new phone. I've had one splinter up in a day and a half and my current phone has had a crack in the screen for over a year.

Four weeks before I leave for the Camino and for the first time ever, I have a cracked phone screen. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and replace my phone now, or just go with it as is. I know that lots of people use their phones with cracked screens for a long time, but I guess that I'm just worried that it will get worse, and that I may have to replace it while I'm on the Camino - I don't want to have to shop for a new phone then.

Part of me sees it as an opportunity to replace my 4 year old phone with one that has dual sim capability and other features, but of course I'd rather not spend the money, because my current phone works perfectly well.

I'm looking for those who have had cracked screens, and if it caused any problems for them.
If I wasn't ready to buy a new phone right now, getting the screen fixed is usually cheap and fast. We've had to do that twice now with our grandsons phone - some kids are rough on phones.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have had a crack in my screen for-two years on Iphone 8. Will up grade soon. Using it, as is. Used it same way, when we went in Sept 21as well. As longasit functions. No need to trade up.

Sorry for your predicament @trecile. What else can go wrong?
I had an iPhone with a cracked screen for quite a long while. Depending on the severity of the crack it may last you until you’re ready to move it along and get a new one. I walked from León to Santiago with a cracked screen.
I finally got tired of feeling like a second-rate citizen and had a local shop replace it.
They do it every day, especially in a college town, and it was fast. It cost me about $100.00, but it was worth it, at least as far as my self-esteem goes. It had a slight aura, for want of a better word, after that. It was a little brighter in one spot than in others, but it was fine.
It’s your call whether or not to fix it. It’s no big deal either way, unless it’s really bad.
Good luck.
All the best,
Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Terri, You don't want to get a new phone now, right before leaving, because some of the cell phone companies keep their phones locked for 60 days or more after you purchase them. Verizon, for example. Meaning you won't be able to use it in Europe. Google "cracked phone screen repair Medford Oregon," and you'll get a bunch of places that will fix it for you.

In our family we've replaced cracked or broken screens on iPhones a few times. Much cheaper than buying a new phone, done in a couple of hours at the local "fix-it" booth (not Apple - far too expensive) in the local shopping centre, and we've never had a problem.

Sorry for your predicament @trecile. What else can go wrong?
Well, I either broke or sprained my toe three weeks ago. I was due to fly out the day before Easter, but have rescheduled for two weeks later, which is turning out to be better, because I'll be eligible to get a second Covid booster on Easter. I've scheduled my shot for the 18th - a little more than two weeks before I arrive in Portugal. I'm going to feel a lot more comfortable with the extra protection.
Terri, You don't want to get a new phone now, right before leaving, because some of the cell phone companies keep their phones locked for 60 days or more after you purchase them. Verizon, for example. Meaning you won't be able to use it in Europe. Google "cracked phone screen repair Medford Oregon," and you'll get a bunch of places that will fix it for you.
If I did buy a new one I would just pay for it outright, so it would be unlocked. However that's really not a big problem anyway, because I never get a sim card - my T-mobile service has always been more than adequate for no extra cost.
The crack is barely visible (though I've noticed that it's bigger than when it first happened). But I think that fixing the screen is the best option for my peace of mind.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you have the time and money - fix it now! Or... if you are due for a replacement - replace it now. It will be more convenient to fix or replace at home rather than on the Camino. Whether or not the cracked screen causes problems depends on how badly cracked they are. I have had some that work just fine and I can still do everything I need to do on the phone. Other cracks can render an otherwise perfectly good phone useless.

If you don't have a screen protector, you might think of getting one. I have both a protector and a silicone case for the back of the phone. Too costly not to protect it! I recently had to replace the protector as I put my keys in the same jacket pocket and they scratched the cover, which became raggedy edged and cut my finger...

If you don't have a screen protector, you might think of getting one. I have both a protector and a silicone case for the back of the phone. Too costly not to protect it! I recently had to replace the protector as I put my keys in the same jacket pocket and they scratched the cover, which became raggedy edged and cut my finger...
YES! I just got a new phone and immediately applied both to it. Then I took my old phone which had a cracked screen protector and replaced that -and the silicone case - and gave it to my husband - good as new!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had a phone with a cracked screen for more than 2 years. No issues. One problem was a crack in the lense of the camera on the selfie side. I kept the phone for several years without issues.

Last edited:
🤦‍♀️ I don't know why I didn't think of just getting the screen fixed first. That is probably going to be the best solution.
It varies from one model to the next -- the one time I tried, getting the screen replaced would have cost more than purchasing the exact same model of phone in good condition, second hand ; so I did the latter rather than the former.

Trecile, the low cost option would be to apply one of those nanotec glues that they use for fixing car windscreens as well as phone screens. Worth a google at any rate. As an inveterate DIY/MYOGer you might get some satisfaction out of doing the job yourself..

Last edited:

At four years old, the device is no longer exactly new. It would be too dangerous for me. Now that it still works, I'm sure you can save all your data, apps and settings. Replacing the display of today's devices is not something that can be done easily. I would rather buy a new, possibly inexpensive device before my Camino and set it up at home.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From experience, on the Camino, even a single crack will allow sufficient moisture to kill the electronics. Replace the screen or the phone.

If this happens on the Camino, keeping the phone in a ziplock baggie will extend the use if the phone for a while but not forever. Repair as soon as possible.

I have had a cracked screen at least once on every smartphone I have ever had. It does become a problem with all of them after a period of time. Depending on where the damage is will have a bearing on how well you can use your phone. Go to the Rogue Valley Mall and get a new screen.

Hi Terri: sorry to hear about your mishap with your toe. As for the phone, many has given the opinion of replacing the screen; there are many places at the malls that performs such service and many times, much cheaper than a new phone. If that is a better option for you, go for it. Then when you finally decide to upgrade the phone, keep the repaired one and dedicated for the Camino.
Hope this helps your decision.
Buen Camino,
Iván

Replacing the screen is a good option. But, if you're able and your phone is going to be your only camera, consider getting a new one. The cameras have gotten so much better. And if you learn how to use the duel sim, please share with us. Reading up on that makes my head swim.

Four weeks before I leave for the Camino and for the first time ever, I have a cracked phone screen.
Must be an epidemic! Just happened to me too. It's not serious as the heavy duty screen protector will probably keep any water out of the phone. However, I've noticed that the screen is not a souch sensitive as it used to be. I have to check to see if I got insurance on this phone, so I'm going to take it to my VERIZON dealer and see if it can be replaced. If not, I'll look into having the screen replaced.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am really glad to hear that most people get their screens replaced for around $100. My screen was replaced this year, on my not very new, not very expensive phone, and it was $200 (I shopped around)! It was fast and easy, but not cheap. It made it difficult to decide what to do, but so far I am glad I bit the bullet.

I did get a new case for my phone, one that has a plastic cover over the screen in addition to a rugged backing. If you decide you don't want to buy a new phone or replace the screen at this time, you might try just buying a good case that covers your cracked screen.

Getting a glass screen protector may also help prevent your screen getting worse

That’s pretty awful. Hope you heal fully and these headwinds taper off before you leave.
Buen Camino.
Thanks. Fortunately, it was my second torysbd not my big toe, and has been healing well. As I mentioned it forced me to change my dates which are really working out better than my original dates.
I am really glad to hear that most people get their screens replaced for around $100. My screen was replaced this year, on my not very new, not very expensive phone, and it was $200 (I shopped around)! It was fast and easy, but not cheap. It made it difficult to decide what to do, but so far I am glad I bit the bullet.

I did get a new case for my phone, one that has a plastic cover over the screen in addition to a rugged backing. If you decide you don't want to buy a new phone or replace the screen at this time, you might try just buying a good case that covers your cracked screen.
I've received one estimate so far - $180! It's a Samsung Note 9 with the curved edge screen, so probably more expensive than many other phones to repair. 😒

Getting a glass screen protector may also help prevent your screen getting worse
Yes, I'll probably get a case with a built in screen protector.

You can get cheap plastic stick-on screen protectors that may help. They may hold the original glass in place a little preventing further enlargement of the crack and should help with water penetration too. I've got no expertise on this other knowing that the protector is cheaper than a screen replacement.

Off topic from broken screens but I just read this:

Android Police: The eSIM’s future is bright, but carriers will almost certainly ruin it.
I just got my first phone that has an eSIM. Didn't even know they existed! The installation instructions were quite easy to follow (I didn't have a QR code) - but I still ended up having to call ATT to finish the process. I looked up how to do a dual SIM card - the youtube instructions make it SEEM simple - but I almost always end up calling ATT when not just moving a SIM from one phone to another (Even when ATT sends a new SIM with my phone). In the end? Still easier to just Pay ATT for their international plan! Yep, costs more - but I know it works!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've received one estimate so far - $180! It's a Samsung Note 9 with the curved edge screen, so probably more expensive than many other phones to repair. 😒
I went in person to another phone repair shop, and they want $320 to replace the screen!!! That $180 is looking a lot better. 😄
Unfortunately, I live in a small city without a lot of options for repair services.

I recommend that you move your home number to eSIM and that leaves the physical slot free for foreign physical SIMs in case the foreign plan you want doesn't have eSIM capabilities.

I've also just read about Google working on getting multiple numbers placed on an eSIM (yes, that's possible) so that your phone will ring whatever number of yours is called. Currently you must select the one number you want active for that. You can change that of course. You may want a business number active from 9 to 5 and then your personal number.

Thanks. Fortunately, it was my second torysbd not my big toe, and has been healing well. As I mentioned it forced me to change my dates which are really working out better than my original dates.

Yes, I'll probably get a case with a built in screen protector.
Bad timing but still time to make things right. DO get a screen protector put on in the repair shop and make sure it's not the "sticky back plastic" type which can trap bubbles but get the ultra thin glass one.

The shop will be able to lay it on smoothly and bubble free. Yes, the glass protectors themselves can crack but they'll stop the impact getting through to the real screen.

I've a glass one on my old Nexus tablet that has been cracked since before Covid (which is why it hasn't been replaced) and you have to look really hard to even see it.

Have a great Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Replacing the screen is a good option. But, if you're able and your phone is going to be your only camera, consider getting a new one. The cameras have gotten so much better. And if you learn how to use the duel sim, please share with us. Reading up on that makes my head swim.

I'm also going to buck the trend in responses here and recommend treating yourself to a new phone if your finances allow. Though I tend to hold on to my electronics for as long as possible, I just upgraded my going-on-five-year-old phone to an iPhone 13 Pro and the difference was startling. Better camera(s), much longer battery life, more durable casing and screen, everything faster and sharper – and the dual SIM feature may come in handy should I should choose to/learn how to use it while traveling.

For something I use every day – and will use to photograph my upcoming Camino for a potential journalism assignment – it's been worth every penny. (And surely the mods here work hard enough to deserve the occasional self-reward?) :)

Last edited:
Terri, You don't want to get a new phone now, right before leaving, because some of the cell phone companies keep their phones locked for 60 days or more after you purchase them. Verizon, for example. Meaning you won't be able to use it in Europe.

This isn't always true - it not only depends on which service provider you use, but where you buy your phone, whether you pay for it in installments or purchase it outright, and how long you've had your account. I was surprised to learn a few years ago how much easier it is to unlock a phone these days than it used to be, at least when dealing with ATT with a phone I purchased directly from the Apple Store. And in any case, part of the point of the newer dual SIM phones is to be able to add another line (even if it's from an overseas provider) while you're traveling.

I'm also going to buck the trend in responses here and recommend treating yourself to a new phone if your finances allow. Though I tend to hold on to my electronics for as long as possible, I just upgraded my going-on-five-year-old phone to an iPhone 13 Pro and the difference was startling. Better camera(s), much longer battery life, more durable casing and screen, everything faster and sharper – and the dual SIM feature may come in handy should I should choose to/learn how to use it while traveling.

For something I use every day – and will use to photograph my upcoming Camino for a potential journalism assignment – it's been worth every penny. (And surely the mods here work hard enough to deserve the occasional self-reward?) :)
I definitely concur here - if it can be afforded! I usually buy a new but pick more affordable models of a smart phone. I have found that with all of them, I still prefer a camera for all trips because the pictures are just better than any phone or iPad (and iPads I usually have the latest of). My last phone was an iPhone SE 2020 - so not that old -but not the most advanced model of the time. I just splurged and bought the iPhone 13 Pro Max (OMG - I NEVER buy the so called "best" version of any phone haha). The Camera and battery life are truly impressive. I am so impressed that I think I will forgo a real camera for the first time every big trip. And I hadn't even learned about eSIMs until I was ready to activate my phone - but they second SIM space surely can come in handy should I chose to get a European SIM. I even watched the videos on how to do two SIMs. Anyhow - don't need to buy the most expensive and fanciest model out - but "IF" you are considering an upgrade - a good time to do it is BEFORE a trip - and get one with a better camera than your current phone.

Terri, You don't want to get a new phone now, right before leaving, because some of the cell phone companies keep their phones locked for 60 days or more after you purchase them. Verizon, for example. Meaning you won't be able to use it in Europe.
Depends on where you buy your phone. Also - depends on whether or not you want to change out your SIM. I don't - I add international to my regular phone plan have no interruption of my normal cell service while traveling.

No it didn’t cause a problem. At all. For about 4 - 5 more years. Including Camino Frances. X

@trecile, what kind of crack is it? A relatively superficial one may not effect phone usability for years, while a deeper one will get worse over time and even start to splinter (I’ve experienced both types in my more carefree days).

Yes, a phone can be useable for months or years with a cracked screen. But any crack is going to compromise the screen’s integrity and make it more vulnerable to further damage.

I’d get it fixed or buy myself a new phone before heading off on your walk. You won’t want it to get more damaged in a situation where it will be more difficult and possibly even more expensive to repair or replace.

I went in person to another phone repair shop, and they want $320 to replace the screen!!! That $180 is looking a lot better. 😄
Unfortunately, I live in a small city without a lot of options for repair services.
hm, for $180 you can get a new mobile phone, e.g. a Samsung A22. Regardless of how a phone is delivered, it always get a 9H protective glass and a comprehensive protective cover.

In the U.S. and my phone screen has been cracked for months. It is covered, however, with a screen protector which has kept it from getting worse. If you have an old phone, take it and get a SIM card for it when you arrive in Spain, just in case.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.