• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Craft Beer in SDC

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I like craft beer, but two of the reviews are about bottle shops, another has a "couple of taps," and one has four taps (1.8 km from the cathedral). So six taps of local craft beer for a four stop walkabout. I think I will settle for an Estrella Galicia from a Sargadelos sap. :)

Still, it is nice to know about them for when there is time to kill...

I actually like Estrella Galicia it is a very nice light lager. Just as an FYI, did you know that several beers in Spain, including the Mahou brands, use maize (corn) as an ingredient? Check out the label the next time...

In the US, the classic Budweizer brand uses rice as an ingredient, which imparts the relsaively creamy taste. I suspect the Spanish beers use maize/corn much in the same way that food producers have swapped out cane sugar for corn syrup. Either use of maize / corn will sweeten and smooth the resulting beer taste.

Salut!

Mi gusto mucho la cerveza!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As a craft beer lover, I tend to look for nice beer bars in every new city. Spain is slowly changing. Barcelona is beer heaven, Madrid has good options, there are a few nice beer bars in Valencia, Sevilla, Bilbao, Pamplona and Gijón (as far as I know of), but most of Spain is still drinking wine. In Santiago the options didn't look interesting enough to check them out the last time I was there (October 2017). But if somebody has a different experience, I'd like to hear about it!

Estrella Galicia, Mahou, San Miguel, it is all the same boring lager to me ;-)

You can also enjoy a range of really tasty craft-style Galcian beers at this micro-brewery bar in Baiona called La Micro see Facebook page for more details https://www.facebook.com/LaMicroBai/. The owners who are two brothers Andres and Roberto brew their own beers under the Trisk Ale label but also have draught Galician beers and other special beers. Andres speaks good English and his beer knowledge is incredible. I even do a gastronomic tour of the Old Town of Baiona which takes in this bar. Baiona is on the Portuguese Coastal Way. No Estrella de Galicia beers in La Micro as these are all of an industrial scale but I agree they are surprising good nevertheless especially 1906!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I tried the Cerveza Keltius in Ourense a couple of years ago. Not too bad, actually. Having said that, I live near Belgium, which is pretty much craft beer heaven, so I'm spoiled rotten.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Proper beer is brown, uses barley and hops and is served at body temperature.
You're welcome

The La Atlántica craft beer shop is a fun stop for sure! We like browsing the labels in the shop and appreciating the creativity and variety that's there.

One thing Galicia has is Maeloc cider (sometimes on tap, but often in stores). http://www.maelocway.com/en/maelocway

The blackberry cider ("mora") and the pear ("pera") are both amazing - and I can't even drink alcohol as it makes me light-headed and sleepy. But I'll always have a taste of those if they're around.

I tried the Cerveza Keltius in Ourense a couple of years ago. Not too bad, actually. Having said that, I live near Belgium, which is pretty much craft beer heaven, so I'm spoiled rotten.

I'm switching Caminos for the last 100KM and will be catching the train from Sarria to Ourense so I will definitely check them out. Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.