• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cramps and...Tonic Water???

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Despite my successful assaults on SdC the Better Half always gets worried about two weeks before I go. In the past it was the danger of attack from bears, other wild animals, or kidnapping by gypsies. We have progressed, it is now only cramps. Never suffered from cramps but I have witnessed pilgrims suffering through them late night in albergues and I know the potassium of bananas will help. She has a sovereign cure.
Quinine was discovered to be a good medicine against malaria. Our English brethren invented the Gin and Tonic as a preventative against the disease though one would probably have to drink two liters or so in order for it to be effective against the anopholes - perhaps this is the secret they utilized to overcome the tropic heat of India and the Caribbean. True there is malaria in Spain but not along the CF.
The wife claims that tonic water is an effective means of preventing cramps. Never heard that but I pass this on for general knowledge, perhaps it may actually work, so if anyone has experience please let us know. If this is a good thing we must temper the discovery by the sad truth that it will be difficult to find a gin and tonic in most cafe/bars along the Camino, so pack your own

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Tonic water is great if taken in the right spirit!

Excellent G & T''s are available throughout Spain, including the Caminos.

Buen, cramp free, Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tonic water is great if taken in the right spirit!

Excellent G & T''s are available throughout Spain, including the Caminos.

Buen, cramp free, Camino.

Beware, though. There are no 'half measures' along the Camino. Our G&Ts always came in glasses akin to buckets!

Who would have believed? I am certain that it is possible to find a gin and tonic along the CF was thinking more of the difficulties involved in finding one in someplace like say Hornillos del Camino. I must admit that I'm in the camp with Wayfarer - I wouldn't wash the windows with gin so I'll just leave that pleasure for others.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You come from County Clare Pat so I am sure that you have a suitable alternate to the immortal G & T. Just realised there is only one t(onic) difference between immortal and immoral. Thanks Scruffy for giving me another excuse. Love it!
Jameson every time but without the tonic. This was to be had in several bars along the Camino but I stuck to vino tinto as they served the Jamesom in very large measures, not good for walking the next day.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Our English brethren invented the Gin and Tonic as a preventative against the disease though one would probably have to drink two liters or so in order for it to be effective against the anopholes - . . . .

Well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Fill 'er up.

I don't find Spanish gin very "ginny" i.e. rather bland tasting. This deludes one into thinking it isn't full strength. Bad mistake as I discovered many years ago!

In Britain for best G&T flavour use Tanqueray Export Strength gin. More expensive but equally flavoursome alternatives being Sipsmith or Hendricks.

Ordering G&T in the USA? Ask for gin with a hint of tonic but no ice, but also a separate glass of tap water with ice; then add ice to G&T at will.
As the barmen, in general, check the measure by eye rather than by using a measure they see how far it goes up the glass before stopping pouring. Used to seeing, with ice in the glass, the liquid going up to at least two inches in the glass you get a lot more hangover for your bucks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
it will be difficult to find a gin and tonic in most cafe/bars along the Camino,
Sooo not true! I have seen a Facebook post and photo from late 2014 with the caption, "We will always be infamously known and remembered as the Gin and Tonic Pilgrims." I was introduced to this Camino Cure by some members of that group!

Despite my successful assaults on SdC the Better Half always gets worried about two weeks before I go. In the past it was the danger of attack from bears, other wild animals, or kidnapping by gypsies. We have progressed, it is now only cramps. Never suffered from cramps but I have witnessed pilgrims suffering through them late night in albergues and I know the potassium of bananas will help. She has a sovereign cure.
Quinine was discovered to be a good medicine against malaria. Our English brethren invented the Gin and Tonic as a preventative against the disease though one would probably have to drink two liters or so in order for it to be effective against the anopholes - perhaps this is the secret they utilized to overcome the tropic heat of India and the Caribbean. True there is malaria in Spain but not along the CF.
The wife claims that tonic water is an effective means of preventing cramps. Never heard that but I pass this on for general knowledge, perhaps it may actually work, so if anyone has experience please let us know. If this is a good thing we must temper the discovery by the sad truth that it will be difficult to find a gin and tonic in most cafe/bars along the Camino, so pack your own
Scruffy, my friend suffers quite a lot with leg cramps when he is in bed.His doctor gave him quinine tablets and they get rid of the cramps in a very short time.Mind you they would probably spoil a glass of gin!!

Ohh I like that idea! Gin and tonic for me!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Never suffered from cramps but I have witnessed pilgrims suffering through them late night in albergues and I know the potassium of bananas will help. She has a sovereign cure.
Quinine was discovered to be a good medicine against malaria.
The wife claims that tonic water is an effective means of preventing cramps.

Wow, Scruffy, that is really interesting, I never knew that. My favourite drink is gin and tonic and, looking back to the 1970s, it’s possible I never got malaria, and my friends did (I live near a malarial area), because I drank gin and tonics :) (However, times change and mozzies are now resistant to gin and tonics :() But then my allegiance changed to RED WINE, and THEN I GOT LEG CRAMPS. My doctor told me that leg cramps are purely dietary and to eat lots of bananas, and she prescribed Slow-K (potassium) tablets. I have just checked out wikipedia, and lo and behold: “In the past, quinine was frequently prescribed in the US as an off-label treatment for nocturnal leg cramps, but this has become less prevalent due to a Food and Drug Administration statement warning against the practice.” Hmmmm . . . . so the moral of this story is to drink gin and tonics if you dare :p and vino tinto if you have lots of bananas at hand . . . . :D

I used to get horrible leg cramps, and tried tonic water. The leg cramps went away (with my anemia), but tonic water is so disgusting to me, I couldn't drink it. I would rather eat a banana.

But yes, tonic water works.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used to get horrible leg cramps, and tried tonic water. The leg cramps went away (with my anemia), but tonic water is so disgusting to me, I couldn't drink it. I would rather eat a banana.

Hey @Susan hopes -- my sister and I found that if we added two packets of sugar to a G and T, it mellowed the bitterness of the tonic water! You can also try a little simple syrup or honey. That way, you get all the medicinal effects :) Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine, go down...in the most delightful way! (Mary Poppins)...

@CaminoDebrorita (I love your name), I am a diabetic, so I have to be careful. So if I try this, I would have to use NutriSweet or some other sweetener. But that's a good idea and I thank you.

A nurse that used to help us with my father-in-law swore that mustard (just plain old prepared mustard, such as "French's") helped with leg cramps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@CaminoDebrorita (I love your name), I am a diabetic, so I have to be careful. So if I try this, I would have to use NutriSweet or some other sweetener. But that's a good idea and I thank you.
Splenda works great in this drink too!

Yes my doctor told me the same, to drink one or two tonic waters during the day to prevent cramps. I had to drink it neat as I don't like gin. :)
Vodka and tonic works well, too, for you non-gin drinkers And don't forget to put lime in it to prevent scurvy!

A nurse that used to help us with my father-in-law swore that mustard (just plain old prepared mustard, such as "French's") helped with leg cramps.
Mustard is worth the try, but not French's which is mostly vinegar and spice with not enough real mustad seed in the mix. Perhaps the real stuff from Dijon will do it. I sincerely hope that this is not leading into something like which bocodillo goes best with G&T

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well I'll say it then.
Gin & Mustard.
I can't see it gaining wide acceptance.
But they probly said that about Gin and Tonic.
You never know. Might be worth a try.
But I'm outta Gin at the mo, and straight Mustard on the rocks doesn't really appeal.

Well, I'm looking for that miracle cure for night cramps. I never get them when I'm walking the Camino, I only get them at home and I assume it's tied to my hour on the elliptical. Bananas don't work for me. Magnesium doesn't work for me. I had never heard of quinine, but a quick google search pulled up a reliable source (Consumer Reports) warning against using quinine tablets. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...me-leg-cramps-no-longer-recommended/index.htm

Forgive my ignorance since I don't drink gin and tonics -- Is tonic water different than agua con gas, something like Perrier?

But I also saw ads for a homeopathic remedy -- does anyone have any experience with this pill? (if the link doesn't work, it's called Hyland's Leg Cramps)

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/hy...5-eb79-de88-b3a3-000000fc51fe&kpid=sku6043043

I would so much love to stop waking up in the middle of the night with these painful cramps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am bringing magnesium and calcium tablets on the Camino del Norte this time - magnesium to avoid cramps and the calcium might do something for the bones. This will not stop me from supplementing these with gin and tonics which worked well for me on previous Caminos. As a hypochondriac I might also bring a lot of other supplements - glucosamine and chondroitin for the cartilage in my knees along with cod liver oil and maybe turmeric tablets which are anti- inflammatory for the brain and if they do not help elsewhere in the body they might delay the onset of Alzheimer's. And vitamin tablets. I did say I was a hypochondriac!
Olive oil, specially extra virgin olive oil, is an anti-inflammatory and I take it whenever it is available when having a meal.
For those that do not like gin and tonic, you are missing out. Initially, I did not like it but have learned to love it. Work on acquiring the taste. Think of the medicinal benefits!

Well, I'm looking for that miracle cure for night cramps. I never get them when I'm walking the Camino, I only get them at home and I assume it's tied to my hour on the elliptical. Bananas don't work for me. Magnesium doesn't work for me. I had never heard of quinine, but a quick google search pulled up a reliable source (Consumer Reports) warning against using quinine tablets. http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...me-leg-cramps-no-longer-recommended/index.htm

Forgive my ignorance since I don't drink gin and tonics -- Is tonic water different than agua con gas, something like Perrier?

But I also saw ads for a homeopathic remedy -- does anyone have any experience with this pill? (if the link doesn't work, it's called Hyland's Leg Cramps)

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/hy...5-eb79-de88-b3a3-000000fc51fe&kpid=sku6043043

I would so much love to stop waking up in the middle of the night with these painful cramps.
Straight from the Google Guru," Tonic water (or Indian tonic water) is a carbonated soft drink, in which quinine is dissolved. Originally used as a prophylactic against malaria, tonic water usually now has a significantly lower quinine content and is consumed for its distinctive bitter flavour." Not really that bitter anymore but certainly distinctive. Comes in cans, bottles, and 2 litres.

Hi, potassium tablets work for me, preferably the slow release ones (hence “Slow-K”). Tonic water is carbonated water, with quinine added, and although it tastes bitter there is quite a lot of sugar in there as well. Jill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Straight from the Google Guru," Tonic water (or Indian tonic water) is a carbonated soft drink, in which quinine is dissolved. Originally used as a prophylactic against malaria, tonic water usually now has a significantly lower quinine content and is consumed for its distinctive bitter flavour." Not really that bitter anymore but certainly distinctive. Comes in cans, bottles, and 2 litres.

Thanks, scruffy, I have been googling too. Looks like tonic water is just as sugared as coke or any other soft drink, so it's definitely not the same as agua con gas. I see that there is a "diet" version of tonic water. I hate drinking those diet sodas, but it may be the only way to get the quinine in harmless amounts and not get tons of sugar.

Various brands of tonic water have slightly different flavours. If I may be so bold as to advertise, I prefer Schweppes which may not be readily available on the Camino. Tonic water in different countries can taste very different. In Denmark it is quite sweet and delicious in a gin and tonic.

Hi, potassium tablets work for me, preferably the slow release ones (hence “Slow-K”). Tonic water is carbonated water, with quinine added, and although it tastes bitter there is quite a lot of sugar in there as well. Jill

Thanks, Jill, maybe I will try potassium tablets before I try the diet tonic water. So I wonder if there are any pros or cons to the choice between potassium tablets and diet tonic water, aside from the obvious that one or both might not work for me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, Jill, maybe I will try potassium tablets before I try the diet tonic water. So I wonder if there are any pros or cons to the choice between potassium tablets and diet tonic water, aside from the obvious that one or both might not work for me.

Well, tonic water is an acquired taste, and not very nice without the gin in it! Best to try the potassium tablets first. You can probably buy them over the counter from any pharmacy. Jill

@peregrina2000 - ordinary salt works too. Preferably sea salt. If you cook from scratch then maybe you do not get enough salt; as bad as getting too much. Processed food is full of salt but cooking from fresh can mean needing to add some. Try licking a little off your hand. If it tastes good you need it, if it tastes bad then you don't and also you won't take too much. (Tip from a doctor in the tropics) Works for us as well as the bananas :)

I wonder if the fact that we get cramp when we get home is because the Spanish put salt in their cooking and we do not, only add it on the plate? so it is when we get home that we lack salt for a time. Think of Sopa Gallego, which is lovely on a hot day and is actually quite salty.....

I believe the Spanish for "tonic water" is "agua tónica." Clearly, no one is going to hump cans, or bottles of this while walking, but when you stop at any bar/cafe you are sure to find it. "Gin tonics" are very popular in Spain, after wine and cerveza of course...

I wonder if you could make an expedient cramp and salt replacement drink by adding sodium chloride (table salt) to a bottle of tonic water?

Just a thought...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Perhaps you should try diluting the tonic water ..........

with Gin!! ;)

Biff

I wonder if you could make an expedient cramp and salt replacement drink by adding sodium chloride (table salt) to a bottle of tonic water?

Just a thought...
Our doctor friend said never add salt to a drink as it is an emetic :(:eek:. That is why he said to lick it off the hand, as well as not taking too much. :)

I was impressed that most bars kept Beefeater in stock. Where I live, it's either Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray on the high end or rot-gut like Philips on the low end. Oh, and every bar I ordered at put in a lemon wedge instead of lime...

Peregrina 2000
I have a friend who also suffers from the night time leg cramps and it is a very painful experience for her. The successful remedies that work for her are as follows.
Tonic water - it does work for her
Second method - pinch your upper lip just under the nostrils for 30 seconds. Some times you just can't get tonic water.
Third method- place a dime size amount of table salt in your palm and lick the salt slowly till cramps subside.
I hope this is somewhat helpful to you

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Never heard in my entire life of a malaria case in Spain ( I´m 56) Maybe yo have hear it in the mouth of a gin tonic lover. It could be a good pretect for wives. :)

Never heard in my entire life of a malaria case in Spain ( I´m 56) Maybe yo have hear it in the mouth of a gin tonic lover. It could be a good pretect for wives. :)
Quite true, reading far too much history I know that malaria was not actually erased in Spain until after World War II. The First World War, the Spanish Civil War saw recurring outbreaks of the disease. Hemingway and Gerald Brenan write of the disease, Orwell as well, it was horrific, entire villages disappearing. I have not read of any outbreak in your 56 years either, it is a historical concern and appears far too often in literature.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Went to my pharmacy today and the pharmacist recommended against potassium without checking with my doctor, and he said that most of the effective tablets are under prescription only in the US (and the US is not like Spain, so if I don't have a prescription I won't get the medication). He said there could be negative impact on heart functions.

So I bought a box of the homeopathic Hyland's Leg Cramps pills. I guess I could also try the tonic but I hate drinking sugared soda and don't like the diet stuff either. But maybe it's worth it. For now, I'll lick a little salt and take these pills and see how it goes. Thanks, everyone. Laurie

Went to my pharmacy today and the pharmacist recommended against potassium without checking with my doctor, and he said that most of the effective tablets are under prescription only in the US (and the US is not like Spain, so if I don't have a prescription I won't get the medication). He said there could be negative impact on heart functions.

So I bought a box of the homeopathic Hyland's Leg Cramps pills. I guess I could also try the tonic but I hate drinking sugared soda and don't like the diet stuff either. But maybe it's worth it. For now, I'll lick a little salt and take these pills and see how it goes. Thanks, everyone. Laurie
Laurie, good luck finding the sugarfree version. Loblaw's, a Canadian supermarket, made it for a very short period about 15 years ago. Have not seen it anywhere where else since. A pity because I love the stuff, but not with all that sugar. Wouldn't a goold old electrolyte effervescent tablet to the job, with a bit extra salt on your papas fritas?

Have you ever try simply having a diet hig in potasium? Bananas have lots of it. And cooked potatoes, veggies, nuts...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The quinine in tonic water does work to keep cramps at bay.
My doctor prescribed quinine tablets for cramp about 15 years ago, but they upset my stomach too much.
I discovered the quinine in tonic water and have been relatively cramp free since.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The quinine in tonic water does work to keep cramps at bay.
My doctor prescribed quinine tablets for cramp about 15 years ago, but they upset my stomach too much.
I discovered the quinine in tonic water and have been relatively cramp free since.
Thanks, I´ll try it Pity I dont like gin.

Have you ever try simply having a diet hig in potasium? Bananas have lots of it. And cooked potatoes, veggies, nuts...

I have eaten a banana a day for years (except when I'm in Spain because I just can't get used to those bananas from the Canaries), also lots of veggies, etc, but no help. Last night I took a lick of salt before bed (tasted horrible) and one of the Leg Cramps pills and I slept through the night with no cramps. I am not proclaiming a miracle cure because it was only one cramp-free night, but I am encouraged and hopeful! Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Leg Cramps pill and a lick of salt? Ugh! Down the pill with a margarita and smile!

One other thought. Have you tried Crampex tablets?
I went on a cruise up the coast of Norway about 5 years ago. Everyone knows how expensive drinks (even non-alcoholic ones) are in Norway so Tonic water each night was out.
I bought a packet of Crampex over the counter at Boots the Chemist and they did the job as well.
Make you sleep too with a tot of whisky (which I took with me).

Since the thread is still active, here is my report after three nights.

Night one -- took one Leg Cramps and a lick of salt (ugh) -- no cramps
Night two -- took one Leg Cramps with no salt -- mild cramps
Night three -- took Leg Cramps and a lick of salt -- no cramps.

I know this is not scientific by any means, but I will keep experimenting to see what works for me.

And p.s. -- Crampex seems to be unavailable, unless I'm missing something.

Mustard. Simple mustard. Get some packets and carry them and when the cramps start just suck down a packet or a tablespoon. Pickle juice also works. No kidding. Google it. Atheletes use it. I've used it. It works.

Mustard. Simple mustard. Get some packets and carry them and when the cramps start just suck down a packet or a tablespoon.

Ahhh. Thanks for the confirmation. Carol (my father-in-law's nurse who recommended mustard to us for leg-cramps) is a pretty smart cookie.

Pickle juice also works.

Would this also include the "juice" I use to "pickle" myself with? ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mustard. Simple mustard. Get some packets and carry them and when the cramps start just suck down a packet or a tablespoon. Pickle juice also works. No kidding. Google it. Atheletes use it. I've used it. It works.
So we are back to which bocadillo goes best with gin and tonic?

Back up for a moment Scruffy, the Gin can wait... Have you been kidnapped by gypsies? Did they lure you in with a bear? :cool: You are fast becoming my favorite read!

Back up for a moment Scruffy, the Gin can wait... Have you been kidnapped by gypsies? Did they lure you in with a bear? :cool: You are fast becoming my favorite read!
Walking into L
Now that you mention it, there are a few places, say walking into Logroño, walking out of Leon, walking around the airport in SdC that I did truly wish for some bears to admire or for a band of gypsies to pop up, sadly has not yet happened!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Living as I do just a short drive Northwest of Cognac I prefer cognac & tonic to prevent scuffy legs of a nighttime.
Not one to argue but armagnac not cognac is my choice, neither has ever cured me of being Scruffy.

For those of us geographically challenged were is that?
As mountaingoat999 says but I'm just a stones throw above Saintes, just of the Paris-Tours pilgrims way.

Not one to argue but armagnac not cognac is my choice, neither has ever cured me of being Scruffy.
I hear what your saying but the farmer in my hamlet doesn't make gin only cognac. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just to say that I changed my ways. Licking salt was just too nasty for my taste buds, I didn't want to drink sugary tonic, and I LOVE mustard. So for the last four weeks, I've been taking a dollop of Dijon mustard every night, and also have shifted my multi-vitamin to the nighttime (for the magnesium and potassium), and not a cramp in sight. Sure, it may be the placebo effect, but that's ok with me if it works. Thanks, annie!

Just to say that I changed my ways. Licking salt was just too nasty for my taste buds, I didn't want to drink sugary tonic, and I LOVE mustard. So for the last four weeks, I've been taking a dollop of Dijon mustard every night, and also have shifted my multi-vitamin to the nighttime (for the magnesium and potassium), and not a cramp in sight. Sure, it may be the placebo effect, but that's ok with me if it works. Thanks, annie!

You are very welcome!
I found it hard to believe too, but it does work.
Glad those nasty cramps have disappeared!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
G&T.jpgInteresting thread. Have noted the mustard info. But I really enjoy a G&T, as shown here with lime and cucumber - delicious on a hot day, pretty good at any other time!

Amazing. I'm trying the mustard. Pity the WHO has just told us ham and hot dogs are gonna kill us.

Well I am gonna stick to G & Ts.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Amazing. I'm trying the mustard. Pity the WHO has just told us ham and hot dogs are gonna kill us.
Everything we enjoy will kill us!!!
yes they say one minute something will kill us and the next minute it will cure us!!! Everything we like will kill us! We've got to go somehow anyway !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have news for you.
We are ALL going to die.
Yup. It's true.
Yes, don't I know it! In the work I did I was surrounded with the end stage of life.When it's time to go it's time to go!!! Would not like to live past the sell by date anyway! Now about that tonic, anyone ever tried it with vodka , that's really good. On and off on last 100 km this year I met 5 fellow Irish " girls" and they never even bothered with the TONIC .never laughed so much on a Camino.met them again in Santiago and my head hurts even thinking about it,but it was just what we needed after the long walk from Jpdp. Best wishes Annette

Well, I have learned that maybe the reason mustard works is because it has turmeric. There are turmeric pills, but I love mustard so I'll stick with that.

But what I don't understand is why I have NEVER had a night cramp on the Camino. Any ideas?

I also suffer leg cramps from about 5/6 days after finishing the Camino. Never, ever have I had them when actually on the Camino. A couple of years ago, I decided to take along a supply if potassium pills ( to take one a day) while walking and it definitely made a difference. This year, I forgot to take them, so, as usual, the cramps started once back home.
My theory is that, when we are walking these long distances daily, the muscles are being used in a different way, but once back to normal living conditions, the muscles start to shrink back to their normal function.
"Se non è vero, è ben trovato" as the Italian saying goes....." If it's not true, it's still a good possibility" I guess is a near enough translation.

€149,-
I also suffer leg cramps from about 5/6 days after finishing the Camino. Never, ever have I had them when actually on the Camino. ... My theory is that, when we are walking these long distances daily, the muscles are being used in a different way, but once back to normal living conditions, the muscles start to shrink back to their normal function.
"Se non è vero, è ben trovato" as the Italian saying goes....." If it's not true, it's still a good possibility" I guess is a near enough translation.

I have made exactly the same experience ;-) A Spanish friend of mine, also a pilgrim, said once to me "Las piernas te piden andar." "The legs beg you to walk." So now I just walk the cramps off and eat bananas ... Buen Camino, SY

I have made exactly the same experience ;-) A Spanish friend of mine, also a pilgrim, said once to me "Las piernas te piden andar." "The legs beg you to walk." So now I just walk the cramps off and eat bananas ... Buen Camino, SY

I agree and would expand upon it a bit to say "your whole body begs you to walk." When I walk in the summer, the accumulated aches and pains that come from sitting in front of a computer at my day job all disappear within several days. I have started caminos with pretty serious hip pain, last year with pain in my upper arm and shoulder, several times with lower back pain, and all it takes is throwing on the properly fitting weight-on-the-hips backpack and after walking a day or so I am fine. Now next year may really be the test since I injured my knee on my last camino on the absolutely worst killer descent I've ever encountered on a camino. Fingers crossed, but in general, walking is about the best therapy for body aches that I know!

That - and a diet that is mostly free from many additives, but does often have plenty of salt. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I know this is a very old thread, but as I was getting ready to close down my ipad and take a spoon of mustard and go to bed, I just wanted to say thanks to Annie for her tip. I have been eating a spoonful of Dijon mutard for the last four years or so and have not had one night cramp since then.

Thank you a million times over, Annie, buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had major cramps on the Via de la Plata - not just those small ones in the legs and feet, but in major muscles. I sought advice on this forum and got good advice, all of which I tried over a few days. I tried magnesium and potassium, rehydration drinks and rehydration salts, mustard, tonic water, sugar. Still the cramps persisted. Eventually, in despair, I remembered my father's advice, and it suddenly clicked into place. He was a great athlete, but perspired very heavily, and I realised that I was doing the same (sorry, I can't disguise this as "glowing"!). He said that after heavy exercise he always had to make himself drink a litre or so of water and use extra salt in his food. Water, and extra salt. So I downed a couple of litres of water over the course of the afternoon, and added a heap of salt to my soup. It worked. For the first night in ages, no cramps. I kept it up each day after that, and no cramps. On the one day I forgot, what happened? Cramps that night. Next day, extra water, extra salt - no cramps.

I used to suffer with leg cramps at night and my doctor advised an increase in my daily fluid intake (at least about 3L) and extra salt in my diet - this has worked really well for me. Doctor said cramps can be caused by dehydration (not always, so don’t know if this will help you - hope so - anything is worth a try ).

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.