• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crazy idea? Winter Mozarabe

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Hi again,

I just had the darndest idea: Walking form Málaga to Mérida in December-January?

It turns out I will have a few weeks of vacation around Christmas.

Has anyone attempted to do this? How about accomodation? Will there be food? Will there be snow? Will I survive?

/Bad Pilgrim

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked Malaga to Merida in January this year. Excellent route. I didn't find any snow but it is always a possibility. Some quite long stages. I would be sure to keep some snack food in reserve and be sure to carry enough water when you expect a long section between villages. Bars open in most of the villages and small towns. Small albergues which are not staffed by resident hospitaleros but are opened on request - usually after phoning a number posted on the door or by asking for a key from someone nearby (sometimes the local police). Will you survive? Probably :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I rode Mozarabe from Malaga in April around Easter.

The travelers rule to not go in the holidays is bunk. It was wonderful. Worth every inconvenience by far.

But it rained. Hard. And cold. And I’ve heard that winter is worse.

And pre booking everything would be required. Small albergues were closed and a search for the key was often required. Not nice when you’re tired. Similarly with food.

So it would be interesting but tough. A group would be better, with external support.

Good luck.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
I walked Alméria to Mérida in Oct. 2018. It is a very solitary Camino-I Met very few pilgrims along the route. I stayed mostly in Albergues when available and some were excellent. No resident hospitaleros usually, a number to ring to get the key or else from the local police. I only reserved in the big cities otherwise I just arrived and rang up. I was the only one in Albergues on numerous occasions.
The route is well marked most of the way except when leaving Granada. There are some long stages so some food in your rucksack is advisable.
The weather was good in Oct. but in Dec./Jan. I would think it would be cold and snowy.
Overall it is a very beautiful Camino and not yet very frequented.
Buen Camino,
John.

Thanks everyone,

I can add that from Baena I know my way: I have walked Baena - Mérida before. So that is an advantage. But I don't know Málaga - Baena. Are there any elevation that might get snow in winter??

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I believe that there are some fairly significant climbs from Malaga but not as high altitude as you get on the Almeria route.
One period to look out for is New Year to epiphany (6/Jan). So many holidays around then. One peregrina on the Almeria route found it impossible to buy food, so the Almeria angels delivered meals to the albergues for her to heat up - meals on wheels. But don’t expect that from other associations. Only Almeria has that level of dedication.

Are there any elevation that might get snow in winter??
Here's a link to a Wikiloc track showing the elevation profile from Málaga to Mérida. It looks like the highest elevation is 961 meters in the Torcal region just before Antequera. We've run into snow in December/January at that elevation in that area, but it's been rare and only lasted a day or two. In general, we've had great weather for walking there in those months. You can check historical weather data on Weatherspark and seasonal predictions for this year for the Antequera region on meteoblue.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi again,

I just had the darndest idea: Walking form Málaga to Mérida in December-January?

Has anyone attempted to do this? How about accomodation? Will there be food? Will there be snow? Will I survive?

/Bad Pilgrim
Hi again,

/Bad Pilgrim
Hi, I was planning to walk the Portuguese in reverse, after finishing the VDLP/sanabraes. Starting 15/12. I'm now, pretty sure I'll walk from Malaga to Merida. Starting at the end of January. I did this last year, after the VDLP, went on to the ruta de la lana. The weather on the lana was sublime, at times chilly, virtually no rain and plenty of sun! I slept on the floor of a library and a few other tiny albergues. I never met another pilgrim on the whole of the lana. Winging it...a wee bit, for me...was fun! The rural Spanish were amazing, so genuinely helpful! I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a first Camino, but you'r'r experienced and should be fine. I hope you blog, I can tap in, save on a guide. A winter Camino, is so different when on a solitary route. People are very happy to open albergues and always with a smile! Just...don't drink aw the beer👍🏻

Hi, I was planning to walk the Portuguese in reverse, after finishing the VDLP/sanabraes. Starting 15/12. I'm now, pretty sure I'll walk from Malaga to Merida. Starting at the end of January. I did this last year, after the VDLP, went on to the ruta de la lana. The weather on the lana was sublime, at times chilly, virtually no rain and plenty of sun! I slept on the floor of a library and a few other tiny albergues. I never met another pilgrim on the whole of the lana. Winging it...a wee bit, for me...was fun! The rural Spanish were amazing, so genuinely helpful! I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a first Camino, but you'r'r experienced and should be fine. I hope you blog, I can tap in, save on a guide. A winter Camino, is so different when on a solitary route. People are very happy to open albergues and always with a smile! Just...don't drink aw the beer👍🏻

The Lana in wintertime sounds wonderful. I've never put my foot in Spain in winter so I don't know what to expect! I have no experience of food & accomodation during Holidays; that's what worries me a little bit.

I choose to start from Málaga so I will be in the south, to escape the most of the Cold weather? If I go, that is.

I have time to go betweeen 16 of December to 10 of January roughly. I hope that will be enough time!

The Lana in wintertime sounds wonderful. I've never put my foot in Spain in winter so I don't know what to expect! I have no experience of food & accomodation during Holidays; that's what worries me a little bit.

I choose to start from Málaga so I will be in the south, to escape the most of the Cold weather? If I go, that is.

I have time to go betweeen 16 of December to 10 of January roughly. I hope that will be enough time!
hi, when I came out of Seville airport last year 14/12 it was 19 degrees and sunny. Apart from my first France's, all my Caminos have been in the winter. During xmas and the new year on 3 occasions, I've never,ever went without a meal or a bed. As a guy, I don't have to worry about the possibility of sleeping in a church door, but the fact remains I've never had to. Aye, I've had to track down a few albergue keys and settle for some pre bought food. Not really a hardship! If it rains for 3 days, I don't really rest, knowing.... I've got a bed and copious amounts of beer, which awaits me somewhere along the road. 🏃In remote Scotland, with a tent....... 3 days severe weather it's easy to get in to a bad place! Go for it, Step outside your comfort zone, Maybe you will experience this Camino, as never before! It's possible, you may take a bit more from the achievement of a winter walk. He who dares! Just be diligent with your safety. I'm sure you'll be braw. Don't forget, that blog! Aw the best. Wild

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back