Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crazy? No sleeping bag for late Sept/early Oct?

tirichmir

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo
Hi All,

This will be my first Camino - the Primitivo from Sept 20th to October 8th, 2016.

I'm wondering if I can get away with leaving out my sleeping bag and taking just a silk liner (and light, waterproof layers)

I'm really trying to cut the weight and bulk of my pack, and am at a loss for how to carry less than I currently have. (pack weighs in at 10% of my body weight, but it is still too much)

Any advice on temps at that time of year or practicalities in general would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @tirichmir , welcome to the forum. You are asking a common, but un-answerable question. The correct advice for you depends on so many variables. Are you a 'hot' or a 'cold' sleeper? What sort of cover do you use at home in your local climate? How does your environment compare with the Primitivo in autumn? This site http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios?p=33 will give you current forecasts right up to your day of departure and also contains historic data that will enable you to consider likely prevailing conditions. I am a 'cold' sleeper and carry a light-weight ' two-season' bag as a minimum. The only time I didn't was on the Camino Ingles one September - I slept every night in most of my clothes.

As far as overall pack-weight goes it might help if you posted your packing list - members will have many opinions on essentials (and in-essentials ;)).

Hi @tirichmir , welcome to the forum. You are asking a common, but un-answerable question. The correct advice for you depends on so many variables. Are you a 'hot' or a 'cold' sleeper? What sort of cover do you use at home in your local climate? How does your environment compare with the Primitivo in autumn? This site http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios?p=33 will give you current forecasts right up to your day of departure and also contains historic data that will enable you to consider likely prevailing conditions. I am a 'cold' sleeper and carry a light-weight ' two-season' bag as a minimum. The only time I didn't was on the Camino Ingles one September - I slept every night in most of my clothes.

As far as overall pack-weight goes it might help if you posted your packing list - members will have many opinions on essentials (and in-essentials ;)).
Hi Tincatinker, Thanks so much for the info. I can see now that the question is un-answerable, for sure. I'm currently acclimated to central coast CA, where it doesn't get very cold at all at night - not below 40F, even in winter. I guess that means I'm probably a cold sleeper? I do seem to use a lot of blankets! I'd be carrying (or not) a generic 2-season rectangular down bag that opens into a blanket. I'll post my packing list when I've got a chance to type it up - I've been refining and refining until I'm blue-in-the-face...:) Thanks again, TirichMir

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nights in early October, in Galicia, could be quite cold. Private albergues usually provide blankets and heat, but in public (meaning municipals or parochials) this is not sure. I, personally, would nor risk walking in this month without a sleeping bag, but experiences and habits vary.
You may look for an ultra compact sleeping bag; one good for 8-10 C (you will not be camping under the stars, I suppose).

I start my Camino in Ireland so for me, with a tent, a sleeping bag is essential but there may be other things that may be pared down to lighten the pack.

2 shirts,
3 underwear
3 socks
1 shorts
1 long pants
Rain jacket or poncho
boots
sandals

For a complete and concise packing list, go to Youtube and seek out Lindsey Cowie's channel. She has a segment called -

Camino Packing List: 2016 Version

She has walked 3 Caminos so far aos she does know what she is talking about.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that a good nights sleep is one of the essentials that is often overlooked. We can all survive a few nights of bad sleep any more that that and you start to lose the enjoyment of being out walking. You should also remember that being tired can lead to mistakes being which could be dangerous. My recommendation would be to reduce your packing list to the bare minimum and bring a sleeping bag. I was planning on starting the Primitivo on the 20th August and my packing list will include a sleeping bag.

My packing list will be

Clothes worn

Running shorts
Merino top
Merino socks
Trail shoes

Clothes carried

1 x Long trousers
1x Merino top
1 x merino boxers
1 x merino socks
1 x down jacket
Waterproofs
Merino buff
Gloves

The merino tops are different weights. The one I choose to have on will depend of the weather conditions and if needed I can wear both or swap them. The down jacket is lighter for its warmth than a fleece. I would rather walk with the bare minimum than carry extras.

One complete change of clothes from the skin out; extra 'undies' and socks. One waterproof (poncho/jacket) and lightweight waterproof trousers. Sleeping bag but, if trying to save weight, no liner. Medical kit (as needed), post walk footwear (Crocs?) and water bottles. Not definitive but the essentials.

Having been cold on the Primitivo because of lack of a second fleece I said I would never walk cold again and for me that means having a sleeping bag but not taking a liner.

There are liners of many weights, including fleece; and there are sleeping bags from nano to ridiculous. Find the best you can afford. Here's an idea for a very light down blanket: get an old down parka at a thrift store for a few dollars. Cut off the sleeves, hood and zippers. If you don't sew, seal with tenatious tape. You now have a down blanket that weighs about 5 ounces and fits in your pocket. Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked without a sleeping bag, but with a liner, the last week of Sept, all of Oct and and could not have had more beautiful weather. I even enjoyed the two days of soft rain in Galia. It definitely gets cooler in Oct, but some Albergues do furnish blankets. It was a lovely time of year. You realize of course, this is not always the case, as you will read from other members. Buen Camino.

Bring the sleeping bag. Just invest, if you can, in one that is as light as possible for what you can afford. Used mine every day on the Primitivo mid May to early June, and the weather was good. Remember that this route can be demanding and you need to recouperate at night. Better carry an extra pound during the day than not rest at night, which would equate to careying many more kilos during the day in terms of the strength and stamina you will have.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I start my Camino in Ireland so for me, with a tent, a sleeping bag is essential but there may be other things that may be pared down to lighten the pack.

2 shirts,
3 underwear
3 socks
1 shorts
1 long pants
Rain jacket or poncho
boots
sandals

For a complete and concise packing list, go to Youtube and seek out Lindsey Cowie's channel. She has a segment called -

Camino Packing List: 2016 Version

She has walked 3 Caminos so far aos she does know what she is talking about.
Michelle, Do I envy you or DO I ENVY YOU. You're doing my dream !!!! I haven't updated my profile but then, its not the number of caminos that matter. But hey... you do learn on The Way. I believe your pack has the right stuff. Well done. However, I'd throw in a light-weight torch (you'd be outdoors, girl), or a good one really, water proof matches, and pick up newspapers when u can, so its easy to build a fire where u pitch your tent. I'd seriously give away anything to do what you are doing ... but don't get me wrong, I wish you the most fun you'd ever imagine possible. May the Holy Spirit be your inspiration, The Way be your light and the Stars be your friends. Oh, don't know if you're a coffee or tea drinker (I love coffee), and a French Plunger is a great companion... of course with something in which to heat water (something really small-ish. If you like coffee with milk, condensed milk in a glass jar is great. And its not a lot of weight for the luxury of a morning cuppa (I thrive on one :) ). Take along lots of smiles, pockets full of adventure, a heart overflowing with love and it will all come back to you in multiple measures. Buen Camino, Sister :), Caesar

Thanks everyone, for your responses. I'm so glad to hear from you. I've definitely decided to bring the 1-season bag! It's light and surprisingly warm, real down, too - bought in South Korea, (wonderful place to buy really good camping supplies.) Skipped the liner.

I've been reading on this invaluable forum for months, and think I've got it down to the best combination of items possible. but it wouldn't be for all your stories I'd be able to make one for myself. Much as I'd want to encounter needed items in some refuge's free box, I'd prefer to carry just the right stuff in the first place. Thanks again.

Michelle, Do I envy you or DO I ENVY YOU. You're doing my dream !!!! I haven't updated my profile but then, its not the number of caminos that matter. But hey... you do learn on The Way. I believe your pack has the right stuff. Well done. However, I'd throw in a light-weight torch (you'd be outdoors, girl), or a good one really, water proof matches, and pick up newspapers when u can, so its easy to build a fire where u pitch your tent.

Remember "wild camping" in Spain is illegal but you might manage to avoid trouble. However, lighting a fire is definitely a big "NO, NO" .

Take care
Tio Tel

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi All,

This will be my first Camino - the Primitivo from Sept 20th to October 8th, 2016.

I'm wondering if I can get away with leaving out my sleeping bag and taking just a silk liner (and light, waterproof layers)

I'm really trying to cut the weight and bulk of my pack, and am at a loss for how to carry less than I currently have. (pack weighs in at 10% of my body weight, but it is still too much)

Any advice on temps at that time of year or practicalities in general would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
I'd have to agree with tincatinker. I would reassess all the other items you intend to take if you want to get your pack weight down. I have been in Leon in early June when night time temperatures have been just above freezing. I think that a sleeping bag is a must.

Remember "wild camping" in Spain is illegal but you might manage to avoid trouble. However, lighting a fire is definitely a big "NO, NO" .

Take care
Tio Tel
thank you TerryB

One complete change of clothes from the skin out; extra 'undies' and socks. One waterproof (poncho/jacket) and lightweight waterproof trousers. Sleeping bag but, if trying to save weight, no liner. Medical kit (as needed), post walk footwear (Crocs?) and water bottles. Not definitive but the essentials.

Having been cold on the Primitivo because of lack of a second fleece I said I would never walk cold again and for me that means having a sleeping bag but not taking a liner.
Quite right Tia. That second fleece... though I wouldn't really miss one whilst walking. But would LOVE one at the end of the day. Buen Camino :) Caesar. So yes, sleeping bag and WATER :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"Crazy" is subjective. There are consequences, positive or negative to every decision.
Buen Camino!

Hello I have walked many Camino and intend to do the Primtivo in mid Sept. My plan is to carry a much smaller backpack a 30l instead of a 50l this is because I will use it as a hand luggage, going to bring a silk liner not my sleeping bag and sleep in my clothes if I have to. Also going to try for the first time ever to bring my two poles on as hand luggage, I am flying from Dublin and flying back via a short trip in Switzerland. My 3 flights cost a total of 170e, if I went for checked in luggage it would be around 75e more so everything will be smaller and light weight.

Hi
My feet a a bit delicate (historical metatarsalgia) and I am tempted to wear really comfortable but sturdy trail shoes with flexible soles, but these are not waterproof. Is this unwise? I am wondering about spray waterproofing them. Also thinking of taking walking sandals.
Also any recommendations for ponchos, please? I am thinking this may be a better idea than breathable waterproof jacket, cover for rucksack and waterproof trousers.
I am walking from SJPDP to Samtiago, from 15th September.
Thank you
Meg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi All,

Thanks!
Yes- pretty crazy :). Was on the norte and primitivo june/ july and found that there were certainly some cold nights. And carrying a back pack with some essentials (including a light weight sleeping bag) is part of the experience, no? Of course that is different for everyone- but for me this is the case. Must be beautiful in september/ october- enjoy it! Buen camino!

Hi All,

Thanks!
Hi - I'm going to be walking at the same time as you and yes I will just take a silk liner - hopefully sometimes I will get a blanket, some albergues have them - if not then my clothes will do the job! Where are you starting - I am starting in Villaviciosa then towards Oviedo. Maybe see you on the way! Trish

Hi All,

Thanks!

Try doing some research on 'ultralightweight' websites and also 'mountain marathon' websites. OMM and Alpkit have some interesting stuff.
They have really lightweight gear but the weirdest to me is the half sleeping bag.
Ways nothing and works with an insulated jacket which forms the top half. These are for weight weenies where everything has a dual use.
Ok for one or two nights out but wouldn't want to use for anything longer.
I use an insulated inflatable mat, sleeping bag, bag liner and bivvy bag.
This allows me to have a flexible set up depending on conditions. Bivvy bag makes excellent bug proof sleeping as has 'no seeum' netting over your head.
Mat sleeping bag liner and bivvy all fit in a five liter stuff sack.
By going lightweight more can be less.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I did the Primitivo last year and not a single auberge didn't have blankets - the one in the centre of Tineo was amazing with Dooves and sheets (this town is definately where it's worth not staying in the municipal auberge, even the most basic auberge in Borres had good blankets so personally I would risk it (and I am also from a very warm climate much hotter than CA)

I have never been kicked off a campsite. You need to ask permission if at all possible first. There will be no fires. Instead, I have a trangia alcohol stovel. One ounce of alcohol = 1 litre of hot water.

...................There will be no fires. Instead, I have a trangia alcohol stovel. One ounce of alcohtol = 1 litre of hot water.
That still is a flame and potential source of fire. Spain is, rightly, very concerned that wildfires can start so easily. Please campers do check out the albergue/campsite rules before lighting anything.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I went on the Primitivo in late August. Loved it. But I have done the mountainous Ingles in late September. All I took was a sleep sack, and warm long underwear (could be used also in day under shorts/skirts) that I used if needed. I never needed them. I also took a microfiber large towel that I could use as a blanket or a picnic blanket OR a towel if needed. Everything in my pack had to be mult-purpose! Worked for me. Here is my packing list: www.pilgrimagetraveler.com/packing-list.html.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camping without permission of the landowner is just disrespectful in my opinion, no matter how well you behave and how little traces you leave behind. Buen Camino, SY

I agree that you should have permission of the landowner before camping, but in many cases it's not practical to get permission. In the UK most land owners will tolerate wild camping, do Spanish farmers have the same attitude? . With accommodation being readly available on the Camino I can't see any advantage of wild camping.

I have seen an increasing number of signs/pictograms 'No Camping!' on the Camino Frances over the last years. Seems Spanish landowners, especially on the last 100km, are fed up with wild campers.
You (general you, nobody in particular) might just think that one person camping doesn't pose a problem, a Spanish landowner that finds morning after morning wild campers on his ground might think otherwise ...
Buen Camino, SY

Hi All,

Thanks!

Hello tirichmir :)
I walked the Primitivo in early August of 2015, it was my first one also.
I carried a sleeping bag, and even though it was a little more weight, it really did come in handy.
It helped me keep warm on cool nights, provided a little cushion for my aching everything & I treated it for bed bugs so it was a protective layer.
I slept mostly in albergues, but 3 nights I slept on gymnasium floors.
Some people had only liners or nothing at all & while they did not to complain, I know that they were suffering those nights.
I would highly recommend taking a sleeping bag.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.