• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Crazy question regarding clothes washing

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think I wore my hiking trousers for 2 weeks solid before washing them. I had the trousers, which i wore mostly, also a Macabi hiking skirt which I didn't wash until I got home and a pair of shorts which I wore infrequently and also didn't wash until I got home. I took 3 pairs of inner socks, 3 pairs of outer socks and 3 pairs of knickers. Every 2 days I washed the 2 dirty sets. t-shirts and shirts were washed once a week-ish. My fleece was washed when I arrived in Santiago. I think my friend and I got "mintier" as the weeks went on :)

From what my daughter tells me , washing clothes is just not done except by "Old People". Apparently kids toss their clothes in the freezer for a day instead of washing them.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm normally washing the trousers once a week, but if there is a lot of mud it can be more often.
I have 2 sets of socks + underwear + shirt and wash 1 set every day (or at least rinse them).
For the remaining, I wash it once a month.

Buen camino,
Jacques-D.

Never one to embrace my smelly side (besides, experienced that enough in the military when out in the field without a bath/shower for weeks at a time) I washed my t-shirt, underwear and socks daily when I could. The shorts were a judgement call. Some days I did, others I didn't. The great thing about the synthetic, work-out/running type shirts. socks, underwear, etc is that they dry very rapidly after being hand washed.

Nobody likes a stinky peregrino staying in the same albergue with them, perhaps sleeping just a few feet away. ;)

Bring about 8-10 clothespins with you for hanging your wash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I washed what I could as often as I could, depending on the drying weather. If you have quick drying clothing and the sun is out, I would do the washing. It doesn't take long, all you need is a quick rinse to get rid of salt and dust. Tomorrow it might be raining, or you might end up walking until the heat of the sun is gone and you won't be able to wash and dry your walking clothes, so grab the chance when you can. Socks, undies and towels you can hang on your pack to dry the next day, but with bigger items of clothing it is always easier to hang them on a line to dry. Nobody wants to be a smellegrino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I brought 3 tech hiking base layers, 3 hiking shorts, 3 pairs hiking socks, 2 pairs liner socks and 3 underpants. I washed hiking shorts, base layer, liner socks and underpants daily, the hiking socks I washed every 2 days as they took longer to dry. I started my shower fully dressed and then undressed and let the sweaty clothes soak while I had my shower, then rinsed out in a handbasin except for my night in the Parador San Marcos in Leon when I had the luxury of a 45 minute bath which I started fully dressed. :oops:

I normally washed all my walking clothes daily. I carry two broadly equivalent sets, one for 'evening wear' and the other for 'day wear'. Even if they weren't completely dry, the day wear gets worn the next day. My only exception is socks. I carry three pairs, and only ever have one pair drying at a time. If I need to, I will 'rest' a pair or wear it again if the previously washed pair haven't dried.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Socks and underwear daily. The rest when they look really grubby or start to smell - merino is good here.
I am always a little concerned, irrationally perhaps, that I will become acclimatised to my own smell, and as a result will defer washing clothes till well past the time when others have noticed!

I always wash undies, socks and walking T-shirt daily, and in the warmer months I also wash my walking pants daily. I take old fashioned nappy pins and my pack is usually festooned with a pair of drying socks. It is really only the socks that don't dry overnight. Even the merino t-shirt dries pretty much overnight, if it's damp I can still wear it comfortably. One of the advantages of merino.
I wish all albergues would install old fashioned hand wringers. A very few have them.
The washing becomes routine and pretty quick. The biggest problem I find is that my hands can become dry and split in cold weather and the constant washing does not help.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From what my daughter tells me , washing clothes is just not done except by "Old People". Apparently kids toss their clothes in the freezer for a day instead of washing them.

In mental health assessments not washing clothes gets labeled "lack of self care" - regardless of age! Besides, youngsters have their natural beauty to rely on, we oldies don't. Although come to think of it an overripe teenager can be more pungent than Rochefort cheese.

My routine was shower with the clothes I wore that day, rinse and squeeze rolled up and hung outside to dry, slip into t-shirt and running shorts to sleep. This was an August dry hot time of year. 3 shirts 3 shorts 3 socks 1 long sleeve and a wind breaker. That was it for clothes.
Everyone finds their comfort or discomfort level.

Sent from my iPad using Camino de Santiago Forum

I am always a little concerned, irrationally perhaps, that I will become acclimatised to my own smell, and as a result will defer washing clothes till well past the time when others have noticed!

I think it happens :eek:

I'll be the same I think. I'd rather do a bit of extra washing than be the one that others want to sit upwind from :(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Who's freezer?

Although come to think of it an overripe teenager can be more pungent than Rochefort cheese.
Walking with my 15 year old son made daily washing a must for base layers and shirts. If machine washing, we'd also throw in our pants. If hand washing, we'd usually just rinse them.

Even with merino, which really is great for stink resistance, the accumulation of salts can lead to chafing (especially inner thighs and arm pits) or blisters with the feet. Therefore, frequent rinsing if not full washing is advisable.

The biggest problem I find is that my hands can become dry and split in cold weather and the constant washing does not help.

Hmmm. Didn't think of that. And these days I seem to have a soap allergy.
OK, for the Aussies here, POM (British person) does not equal soap allergy! (for non Australians, just a regular Australian tease)

Not sure how easy to is to find 'Goat Soap' on the Camino ! but the skin on my hands does dry out and split badly when I use 'normal' soap.

so, I see I have 2 options.

avoid clothes washing and leave that to my 'nearest and dearest' who will be with me as my 'life supervisor'. (bit like a like coach but far simpler and straight to the point)
or
find some kind of treatment for the skin splitting, which has alluded me for years. Any good remedies out there?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

One word. Yuk :eek:

I wonder how long it takes for their undies to thaw out when walking? :rolleyes:

OK, for the Aussies here, POM (British person) does not equal soap allergy! (for non Australians, just a regular Australian tease)

Not sure how easy to is to find 'Goat Soap' on the Camino ! but the skin on my hands does dry out and split badly when I use 'normal' soap.

avoid clothes washing and leave that to my 'nearest and dearest' who will be with me as my 'life supervisor'. (bit like a like coach but far simpler and straight to the point)
or
find some kind of treatment for the skin splitting, which has alluded me for years. Any good remedies out there?

Robo, in "normal" life I can avoid it if I wear leather gloves when walking, so my hands don't get exposed to sun, wind, cold. Cold is the worst for me. If my hands do split an anti-fungal cream plus a moisturiser seems to work best - tried that on the advice of a doctor I walked with on one Camino and to my surprise it worked. He reckoned everyone has a few mushrooms growing on their skin. But wearing gloves is a pain and tends not to happen on Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola

I brought a small dishwashing brush which I used daily with water on the muddy trousers as well as boots.
Just to clean of the worse and prolong the need to machine wash. Worked well for me.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Shirts and T-shirts, washed under arm and collar - dry overnight wear a second day. Wash alternate days weather permitting, otherwise repeat the part wash daily. Undies and socks washed daily.
Trousers - zip off bottoms would wash if muddy. Otherwise it was 'wash the crutch' daily, major wash only if easy to dry them. The 'part-washed' pair had overnight to dry and always did. I have 2 identical pairs and would wear the clean pair for the evening and onward so always having a clean pair.

Shirts and T-shirts, washed under arm and collar - dry overnight wear a second day. Wash alternate days weather permitting, otherwise repeat the part wash daily.
Trousers - zip off bottoms would wash if muddy. Otherwise it was 'wash the crutch' daily, major wash only if easy to dry them. The 'part-washed' pair had overnight to dry and always did. (2 sets of clothes)
Undies and socks washed daily. (3 sets of these)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
my son and i plan to walk in our kilts for as much as possible and i dare say they will not be washed during the walk possibly aired a lot but not washed
ie when wearing some shorts to relax in

$(KGrHqZHJE0FEU+-(d+VBRIifwdGww~~60_12.JPG

minus the sporan and belt may have to remove kilt pin for flights

Last edited:
Some people need routines, some need someone to tell them what to do and the rest decide what is needed according to a potentially constantly changing situation.

I normally washed all my walking clothes daily. I carry two broadly equivalent sets, one for 'evening wear' and the other for 'day wear'. Even if they weren't completely dry, the day wear gets worn the next day. My only exception is socks. I carry three pairs, and only ever have one pair drying at a time. If I need to, I will 'rest' a pair or wear it again if the previously washed pair haven't dried.
Ditto. Daily is pretty much my norm; I learned many years ago that things start to smell ripe to others well before my nose starts noticing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Undies and socks got washed after 1 day. My undershirts would be washed every 1 or 2 days. Pants were every 2 or 3 days. However, often I would just chuck everything into the machine if one was available to make it worth my while.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In mental health assessments not washing clothes gets labeled "lack of self care" - regardless of age! Besides, youngsters have their natural beauty to rely on, we oldies don't. Although come to think of it an overripe teenager can be more pungent than Rochefort cheese.
Kanga... I have been thinking of this too... not just washing, but self-care for "women of a certain age". I agree about the mental health assessment part of it. I think we older people have to "try harder".... certainly I can't wear what I did in my 20s to 40s. I'm 56. Any tips for women here?

Of course, I see the need to wash one's underwear, socks and shirts, but do people wash their hiking pants/skirts everyday?

I said it was crazy, but I am a newbie :)

Kris

Kris:

I wash underwear, socks and t-shirt everyday. Trousers and fleece as needed (dirty or weekly). I look for washing facilities about once a week if possible. This year on the Norte, I noticed a lot more washing machines or at least a centrifugal device to help drying process. Safety pins, imo, are a must for drying socks off back pack and hanging clothes in windy conditions.

Ultreya,
Joe

my son and i plan to walk in our kilts for as much as possible and i dare say they will not be washed during the walk possibly aired a lot but not washed
ie when wearing some shorts to relax in

$(KGrHqZHJE0FEU+-(d+VBRIifwdGww~~60_12.JPG

minus the sporan and belt may have to remove kilt pin for flights
I wish I could wear a kilt. I think men in kilts are stunning! At any rate from what I've read about some of the "days of old" in Scotland, did the men of the tribes wash their kilts all that often? I suppose since they are mostly wool, you could wear em wet and it would not matter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I saw folks washing every night. I was exhausted just watching them. I think it's a little neurotic. I washed me as often as possible and the important bits of clothing (socks and underwear) when really needed. Wool it's true does not smell as bad but can still get a little stinky.

Kanga... I have been thinking of this too... not just washing, but self-care for "women of a certain age". I agree about the mental health assessment part of it. I think we older people have to "try harder".... certainly I can't wear what I did in my 20s to 40s. I'm 56. Any tips for women here?
Well, we have to be careful here. I am all for comfort and convenience and, when I did my Camino last year, I arranged for much of my paraphernalia - sunglasses / glasses / hat / water bottle, etc. to be at hand and accessible without my having to take off my pack. At one point, I sent a photograph of myself back home. One of my sons commented that I looked like a Swiss Army knife. :oops:

Last edited:
Suzanne, I'm just going to resign myself to the "crazy old woman" tag and have a good time - there are so many prejudices against older women anyway. As an advocate I'm aware they always get challenged on juries; colleagues are quite open about it. I wash not to please others but myself. It feels better to be clean. For me on pilgrimage there is also a sacred element - a personal thing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I feel there's nothing better after a long day's walk in the sun and dust than a shower and nice clean clothes. Bliss. I walk in the Summer so of course it is easy to dry my washing, not sure I would manage it every day in the winter months, but in July/August, definitely!
As for older women having to try harder, err... Not sure I understand that one . (i'm an older woman). We're pilgrims, we walk 20 to 30 km a day (sometimes more), what's different about us? Ok, I don't look as good as my daughters (in their 20s and 30s) but... Surely it is to be expected? :)

Last edited:
Ok, I don't look as good as my daughters (in their 20s and 30s) but... Surely it is to be expected? :)

I'm sure you look beautiful! Just different to how you looked 30 years ago.
Bodies are wonderful things, after seeing how marvellously it responds and works on long walks I have learnt to love mine now as I never did when young. Think of the blemishes, the glorious patina of age, as the imperfections of high art....

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Well, we have to be careful here. I am all for comfort and convenience and, when I did my Camino last year, I arranged for much of my paraphernalia - sunglasses / glasses / hat / water bottle, etc. to be at hand and accessible without my having to take off my pack. At one point, I sent a photograph of myself back home. One of my sons commented that I looked like a Swiss Army Knife. :oops:
I'd like to see that photo!

I'm sure you look beautiful! Just different to how you looked 30 years ago.
Bodies are wonderful things, after seeing how marvellously it responds and works on long walks I have learnt to love mine now as I never did when young. Think of the blemishes, the glorious patina of age, as the imperfections of high art....
Go Kanga! Thanks for this lovely expression of a sort of faith in the process.

I feel there's nothing better after a long day's walk in the sun and dust than a shower and nice clean clothes. Bliss. I walk in the Summer so of course it is easy to dry my washing, not sure I would manage it every day in the winter months, but in July/August, definitely!
As for older women having to try harder, err... Not sure I understand that one . (i'm an older woman). We're pilgrims, we walk 20 to 30 km a day (sometimes more), what's different about us? Ok, I don't look as good as my daughters (in their 20s and 30s) but... Surely it is to be expected? :)
Oh, this is just one of my philosophies... I don't mean try harder in order to be pretty or sexy, but I think that aging demands of both men and women that we care for ourselves and our environments even more than we did in our youth to be neat and pulled together, not to mention clean. I'm making a mess of this comment string, though:p!

You're not making a mess of anything at all, I'm just enjoying the conversation. It's nice. (Whether we're on topic I am not sure... Oops)
But no, I don't feel I have to make more of an effort now I am 'old', maybe I've lost the plot (wouldn't be the 1st time!).
I am just a pilgrim. And yes it was hard doing without make-up, or even a comb - took me a week to find it - and shampoo... I used a piece of soap for everything which resulted in having my hair looking like... Words fail me....
But I had the best time in my life, made friends I'm still in touch with today, did another camino and i'm off again this year in July....
But yes, I look more like a 'pilgrim' than a supposedly sophisticated Parisian woman lol and do I care?

Thank you bystander. They seem to be out of stock for most sizes except the very large waist size 40" and 42". I will have to eat some more. :)
WHAT DO YOU MEAN ? Calling me fat are you?
I'm not fat. I'm just not tall enough for my weight.
Can't help that can I?:(

Last edited:

or

Now don't stick this to nationality but we Dutch will have due to the weather in holland often what we call "winter hands" - cloven chipped skin on hands.
You will not believe me but try it out anyway. The best remedy is .... Wait for it ... Pee in the morning over the skin of your hands - let be appr 10 secs and then wash your hands as usual. After a couple of days all gone. It has to be morning pee. No I am
Not joking. Old Dutch grandmothers cure ... Hilarious. I know.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Now don't stick this to nationality but we Dutch will have due to the weather in holland often what we call "winter hands" - cloven chipped skin on hands.
You will not believe me but try it out anyway. The best remedy is .... Wait for it ... Pee in the morning over the skin of your hands - let be appr 10 secs and then wash your hands as usual. After a couple of days all gone. It has to be morning pee. No I am
Not joking. Old Dutch grandmothers cure ... Hilarious. I know.

I will try to explain to my better half why I am doing this :rolleyes:

Doesn't pee contain ammonia? That can't be good for the skin.

Seems I'm wrong. And according to Dr Google aka Wikipedia.....

Urine is an aqueous solution of greater than 95% water, with the remaining constituents, in order of decreasing concentration urea 9.3 g/L, chloride 1.87 g/L, sodium 1.17 g/L, potassium 0.750 g/L, creatinine 0.670 g/L and other dissolved ions, inorganic and organic compounds.

Sounds almost 'medicinal' :)

I will try to explain to my better half why I am doing this :rolleyes:

Doesn't pee contain ammonia? That can't be good for the skin.

Seems I'm wrong. And according to Dr Google aka Wikipedia.....

Urine is an aqueous solution of greater than 95% water, with the remaining constituents, in order of decreasing concentration urea 9.3 g/L, chloride 1.87 g/L, sodium 1.17 g/L, potassium 0.750 g/L, creatinine 0.670 g/L and other dissolved ions, inorganic and organic compounds.

Sounds almost 'medicinal' :)

Urea is the key component that heals. If you check out many creams for healing dry or broken down hands, you will see one of the ingredients is urea. Ammonia is a by product of the breakdown of urea. I worked in the neonatal intensive care unit for many years, and we washed our hands between touching different babies. This resulted in very dry, cracked and broken down hands. We always laughed and offered to help out our fellow nurses. No one ever actually accepted the offers. lol

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have found that the answer to this question depends heavily on the time of year, weather, and budget. Back in the olden days, before the arrival of mechanization to albergues, it was perfectly normal to wash your walking clothes every day and so that is the habit I have adopted. Perhaps skip a day when it is cool and dry, perhaps throw everything into the machine and read a book in my bathing suit while it cranks out fluffy wool socks.

If you ask me though it comes down to hygiene, a too often overlooked element of the camino. I could go on about stinky feet in fountains and backpacks on beds but both are closely related to keeping clean.

Try the pillowcase test: When it is time to go to sleep, use your t-shirt as a pillowcase. Or if you are traveling with a partner switch t-shirts and do the same. If you find it unpleasant you should probably have washed it.

You're not making a mess of anything at all, I'm just enjoying the conversation. It's nice. (Whether we're on topic I am not sure... Oops)
But no, I don't feel I have to make more of an effort now I am 'old', maybe I've lost the plot (wouldn't be the 1st time!).
I am just a pilgrim. And yes it was hard doing without make-up, or even a comb - took me a week to find it - and shampoo... I used a piece of soap for everything which resulted in having my hair looking like... Words fail me....
But I had the best time in my life, made friends I'm still in touch with today, did another camino and i'm off again this year in July....
But yes, I look more like a 'pilgrim' than a supposedly sophisticated Parisian woman lol and do I care?
Love this remark... hope to meet you some day! Parisian women are, of course, the hight point of sophistication.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just got back from a short Camino, O Cebreiro-Santiago - only had 10 days so after the first day we jumped ahead to Sarria to make sure we would finish. It was glorious - but pertaining to this discussion: NOTHING dries overnight in Gallicia, at least this time of year. We hardly had any rain - I think it's just the spring/Gallician damp. I did see a few peregrinos with their underwear swinging along next to their shells on their packs, but I find that rather unbecoming for "a woman of a certain age" as I am. Washed socks and underwear daily, other stuff as smell demanded - biggest mistake was only bringing 2 pairs of underwear - every morning I had to decide between the stinky pair and the wet pair. Solution - bring at least 3 and pack the damp clean one near the edge of the pack where it can dry while walking!

To Suzanne : not really lol but you made me laugh
To vermontgal: oh I do sympathise, but that's why I love going in the Summer...At first it was out of necessity, not from first choice, but I think it makes everything easier, like drying clothes and hair...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Lol!

Underwear and socks every day.
Macabi skirt maybe once a month.
Don't bother taking laundry soap. Either buy a bar there or if you pay to have laundry done it is included in the 3-5 euro price.

Never one to embrace my smelly side (besides, experienced that enough in the military when out in the field without a bath/shower for weeks at a time) I washed my t-shirt, underwear and socks daily when I could. The shorts were a judgement call. Some days I did, others I didn't. The great thing about the synthetic, work-out/running type shirts. socks, underwear, etc is that they dry very rapidly after being hand washed.

Nobody likes a stinky peregrino staying in the same albergue with them, perhaps sleeping just a few feet away. ;)

Bring about 8-10 clothespins with you for hanging your wash.
And a piece of thin rope as a clothesline.

And don't wash anything you may need to rely on for warmth the next morning if you can't be sure it will dry overnight. One morning I encountered a sorry soul in Ages trying to warm himself over a cafe con leche after he had been walking in a fierce, cold wind. IMHO, it is better to be warm and malodorous (mildly) than fragrant and freezing. :)

Underwear every day.
Socks every day.
Outer wear only when it needs it - sometimes once a week.
With the macabi skirt, rarely.

Some people figure that one can wear something for three weeks, then turn it inside out and get another three weeks out of it. :D

Any waterproof jackets, shorts, etc...don't wash at all. Each time you do...the waterproofing can become less effective.
Now, here are a few things to consider:
1. NO COTTON...cotton kills! Make sure any garment worn close to the body has no more than 30% cotton. The remainder should be polypro.
Your normal body temperature CANNOT dry cotton. Washing cotton, hoping for it to dry by morning...is a bad bet.
I know I often regale against packing something you MIGHT need, but here is the exception:
I call it a Lifesaver. You may think of it as a trash bag.
Take a trash bag that will comfortably fit over your upper torso. In the center of the sealed end...cut an opening large enough to fit your head through (Joey...without the fedora).
Next, about five, or so, inches below the corner at each edge...cut openings large enough to accommodate one arm each. There...now you no longer have a trash bag...you have a Lifesaver.
What makes it a lifesaver, you ask?
If you are experiencing the shivers...your body is telling you your Core (the area between your neck and belly button)is losing heat. Take off any jacket you may have on, put the Lifesaver "over" your shirt and replace your jacket.
This additional vapor barrier will insulate the core and assist greatly in natural body heat retention.
The Lifesaver weighs...nothing.
The Lifesaver takes up precious little room.
The Lifesaver costs: practically nothing.
Here's a test: wearing a damp cotton t-shirt, stand in front of a fan and feel your body temp drop. Now add the Lifesaver.
Heres another test for folks savvy enough to wear a shirt made of a non cotton material.
Again, dampen the shirt, stand in front of the fan. Yes, initially your body will begin to cool, but in rather short time the shirt will (with the combination of natural body heat and rapid evaporation) begin to return the body to near normal.
Try it...I'm sure you'll like it.
Buen "I'm tough to the Core" Camino,
Arn

€46,-
Some people figure that one can wear something for three weeks, then turn it inside out and get another three weeks out of it. :D

I had a friend who had jockey shorts with Monday, Tuesday, etc embroidered on them. Seems every three day, he'd wash those worn and know he had at least four days of clean to wear.
Another friend, aware of the conversation, excused himself returning with his seven jockeys: 2001, 2002,2003, etc...eweeee!:eek:
Buen Camino,
Arn

Any waterproof jackets, shorts, etc...don't wash at all. Each time you do...the waterproofing can become less effective.
Now, here are a few things to consider:
1. NO COTTON...cotton kills! Make sure any garment worn close to the body has no more than 30% cotton. The remainder should be polypro.
Your normal body temperature CANNOT dry cotton. Washing cotton, hoping for it to dry by morning...is a bad bet.
I know I often regale against packing something you MIGHT need, but here is the exception:
I call it a Lifesaver. You may think of it as a trash bag.
Take a trash bag that will comfortably fit over your upper torso. In the center of the sealed end...cut an opening large enough to fit your head through (Joey...without the fedora).
Next, about five, or so, inches below the corner at each edge...cut openings large enough to accommodate one arm each. There...now you no longer have a trash bag...you have a Lifesaver.
What makes it a lifesaver, you ask?
If you are experiencing the shivers...your body is telling you your Core (the area between your neck and belly button)is losing heat. Take off any jacket you may have on, put the Lifesaver "over" your shirt and replace your jacket.
This additional vapor barrier will insulate the core and assist greatly in natural body heat retention.
The Lifesaver weighs...nothing.
The Lifesaver takes up precious little room.
The Lifesaver costs: practically nothing.
Here's a test: wearing a damp cotton t-shirt, stand in front of a fan and feel your body temp drop. Now add the Lifesaver.
Heres another test for folks savvy enough to wear a shirt made of a non cotton material.
Again, dampen the shirt, stand in front of the fan. Yes, initially your body will begin to cool, but in rather short time the shirt will (with the combination of natural body heat and rapid evaporation) begin to return the body to near normal.
Try it...I'm sure you'll like it.
Buen "I'm tough to the Core" Camino,
Arn
Good idea.
I had said trash bag rolled up neatly and tightly in a zippered pocket. It was one of those thicker, larger heavy-duty ones (do not tear easily). Weighed nothing, really and took little space. It was there in case I needed an emergency poncho of sorts, although I already had a good, breathable waterproof Columbia jacket. But the trash bag was there and I ended up using it one very rainy morning out of O'Cebreiro. Before I left the albergue I lined the interior of my pack with the open garbage bag and put everything inside, sealed it up and then put the waterproof cover on the exterior of my pack. All my stuff in my pack stayed dry that day. It was nice to have the extra water resistance of that bag.
Yes, the lowly trash bag can be very useful at times for multiple reasons, but make sure you get one of the heavy duty ones.

In a similar way that the plastic bag trick mentioned by both Arn and Mark Lee can help save precious core body heat, two study short plastic bags over socks can serve as makeshift gaiters to help keep your feet comfy in a sudden storm. Make a wide cuff with the top of the bag and fold it down over the top of your boot. Fasten with a heavy elastic band (another useful item to carry). This is low tech but very handy when caught in either heavy rain/deep mud or a snowstorm.

MM

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Reading your post I still can smell the guy who poluted the air in the Betanzos albergue earlier this year. disgusting !
Soap and fresh water cost nothing.

snip
Arn
@Arn, this isn't true of some of the more modern waterproof fabrics like eVent, where regular washing and drying is recommended. That said, I don't think I would be tempted to wash my rain jacket while on the camino, but wouldn't avoid it afterwards.

I would recommend checking the care label to see if it recommends regular washing or not.

Reading your post I still can smell the guy who poluted the air in the Betanzos albergue earlier this year. disgusting !
Soap and fresh water cost nothing.
I know that guy! He was sitting at the table next to us in O'Cebreiro last year when we were having breakfast. :D

Seriously though, I believe people, over time, become immune to the smell of their own clothes. Some people, poor souls, through no fault of their own, lack the resources to wash their clothes, and their bodies. Others think that as long as they wash their bodies regularly, all will be well; they are unaware that unless the clothes they wear are also washed regularly, their clothes will smell. Perhaps these people left home before their mothers had a chance to impart on them this bit of wisdom - hey, it can happen. Maybe some Forum members can suggest some tactful way to get this message across to the transgressors.

If the transgressors don't appreciate our efforts, their mothers will. :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know that guy! He was sitting at the table next to us in O'Cebreiro last year when we were having breakfast. :D

Seriously though, I believe people, over time, become immune to the smell of their own clothes. Some people, poor souls, through no fault of their own, lack the resources to wash their clothes, and their bodies. Others think that as long as they wash their bodies regularly, all will be well; they are unaware that unless the clothes they wear are also washed regularly, their clothes will smell. Perhaps these people left home before their mothers had a chance to impart on them this bit of wisdom - hey, it can happen. Maybe some Forum members can suggest some tactful way to get this message across to the transgressors.

If the transgressors don't appreciate our efforts, their mothers will. :D
That's the guy ! You met him too ! The more we talk about him the more we are going to miss him .:)

Try using Ecover washing up liquid - far kinder on the hands (and clothes!)

or

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.