• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

creative virtual camino anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bib

Bridget
Time of past OR future Camino
may/june (2018)
So, let's get creative in these challenging times. Let's take a particular experience from our 'real' camino's and reflect on how this can help our current circumstances. For example - packing our backpacks- what do you really need now at this time? In my virtual backpack at this time I really need: my safe home, access to food/ water, digital technology & internet, to see and contribute to community kindness, up to date information, virtual connections with friends and family, doses of creative and beautiful ways people are responding at this time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So, let's get creative in these challenging times. Let's take a particular experience from our 'real' camino's and reflect on how this can help our current circumstances. For example - packing our backpacks- what do you really need now at this time? In my virtual backpack at this time I really need: my safe home, access to food/ water, digital technology & internet, to see and contribute to community kindness, up to date information, virtual connections with friends and family, doses of creative and beautiful ways people are responding at this time.
It would be a good time to have a break from digital technology and internet,but that's not about to happen any time soon,
On my first Camino I took all my apps off my phone,didn't last long,people you met wanted,WhatsApp,Facebook and Instagram,I gave in,
how long could you \one go with out technology?
Bill

How about our own photos from First Step?1584861214997.png
or this1584861298961.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
ok, so first steps - St Jean PdP. What's our memory from there that's relevant for life today? For me, my memory of being at SJPdP was one of dream come true. I'd dreamed of walking the camino for about 15 years before having the opportunity to actually do it. It was the last thing on my 'bucket list' so just arriving at SJPDP was like I'd already 'arrived'. I had the SJPDP bridge on my screen saver for years before. So the relevance for me today is that if I was to die of coronavirus, I would die knowing I've lived my life to the fullest and always listened to and follow my Spirit. :)

For many, I would guess that walking out of Saint Jean Pied de Port through the Porte D'Espagne might be considered the starting point. But for me, this marker embedded in the pavement just a short way up the hill from the Porte D'Espagne was the symbolic beginning of my first Camino.

Attachments

• 1-009a.JPG
    1-009a.JPG
    747.9 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: bib
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nice idea Bridget, but hey, let's keep our feet on the ground! Especially we walkers all badly need and miss the physical exercise and most of us have the possibility of waking very safely nearby our living places. And we should! Fresh air is healthy and safe.I am very lucky as my regular walks,-about 60 to 80 km/week- take me through a protected nature sanctuary around a lake, with hardly any other person in sight and then in a safe distance. So be creative by searching Google map for a suitable, nearby "Camino" to conquer physically. Stay healthy everybody and buen "local" camino!

Nice idea Bridget, but hey, let's keep our feet on the ground! Especially we walkers all badly need and miss the physical exercise and most of us have the possibility of waking very safely nearby our living places. And we should! Fresh air is healthy and safe.I am very lucky as my regular walks,-about 60 to 80 km/week- take me through a protected nature sanctuary around a lake, with hardly any other person in sight and then in a safe distance. So be creative by searching Google map for a suitable, nearby "Camino" to conquer physically. Stay healthy everybody and buen "local" camino!
Great, so let’s share our insights on our local walks. I’m doing the same - I have a beautiful natural reserve near me. I usually walk through this, to the local cafe - but alas - cafes have closed in Melbourne Australia now. I can still get a take away cafe con leche!

Great, so let’s share our insights on our local walks. I’m doing the same - I have a beautiful natural reserve near me. I usually walk through this, to the local cafe - but alas - cafes have closed in Melbourne Australia now. I can still get a take away cafe con leche!
Ohh I know exactly what you mean 😄 I too have to take my bottle of water along these days and settle with a home made coffee 🙄; but after some experimenting, my brew come pretty close to the real thing....but I am starting to miss the nightly snoring and farting of the albergue-compañeros, really! I would have NEVER thought that this would ever happen🤣

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here's what I discovered on my local walk today - the creativity of kids in lock down - our schools have now closed. Made my day. How gorgeous!

footpath 4.JPGfootpath 1.JPG

What a great idea. Our last full Camiño we were in SJPdP down by the water faucet and we found a wallet. No one was around so we wrote a note and left it by the water faucet and we went to the pilgrims office. We stood there for over an hour calling out the women’s name . All of a sudden a women came running in in a panic . We united her with her wallet. What a great feeling to be able to have avoided a disaster. Great way to start our adventure.
This forum is helping to keep me hopeful for my next camino.
Much to my surprise I am being treated for cancer for the next year so the timing is perfect! The virus and my cancer will both be over for my next camino!
I’m sending prayers to every person in the world that they are covered with Gods protection .

We are under a complete lock down. Living in a gated retirement village that means we can only leave if we need to buy food, medicines or visit a doctor. Nobody is allowed in. All activities have ceased.
Fortunately, we are allowed to take a walk twice a day, within the boundaries of the village and only on the few roads, not on small footpaths in between the cottages. We have to stay 2 m apart and not interact with or visit other residents.
Finn and I were booked to visit Paris in June with our son, daughter-in-law and 11 year-old grand-daughter, fly to Biarritz, hire a car and walk-drive the Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago. Like thousands of others this Camino was a long time in the planning.
Our son and his family are locked into their gated community. Our other son is locked into their home about 14 km from our village. We normally go to their home every Friday night for Sundowners.

IMG-20200328-WA0035.jpg
What to do? We have a 2.5 km trail around the Village and we're walking it twice a day doing 5 km per day. We've got an itinerary visiting 40 places on the Camino and started at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (at our front door) on Monday. We reached Roncesvalles, on Friday and celebrated Friday night with a tapas which we 'shared' with our sons via a Whatsapp video call. It was wonderful to see them and chat.IMG-20200328-WA0031.jpg
At the rate we are walking, we should reach Santiago sometime in December!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last edited:
What a great idea. Our last full Camiño we were in SJPdP down by the water faucet and we found a wallet. No one was around so we wrote a note and left it by the water faucet and we went to the pilgrims office. We stood there for over an hour calling out the women’s name . All of a sudden a women came running in in a panic . We united her with her wallet. What a great feeling to be able to have avoided a disaster. Great way to start our adventure.
This forum is helping to keep me hopeful for my next camino.
Much to my surprise I am being treated for cancer for the next year so the timing is perfect! The virus and my cancer will both be over for my next camino!
I’m sending prayers to every person in the world that they are covered with Gods protection .
Get well soon and buen camino for next year!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My last post didn't work (not very tech savy with my phone). What I was trying to say was looks like there's a few virtual camino/ walking at home threads on this forum so don't want to double up - maybe we can join them?

By the way - thanks everyone for the humour threads too - love that one!

Stay safe & buen camino🌈💜🌠☕🌺

looks like there's a few virtual camino/ walking at home threads on this forum so don't want to double up - maybe we can join them?

You have several options...

You could keep this thread going as a separate one, if you have a particular theme such as pretending to start from SJPP. (For example, I have a thread here about a virtual walk on the Camino Sanabres.) We could change the thread title to make it clearer, to bring more people along with you.

Or, you might consider posting information on your local walks on this existing thread. The "Local walks" threads existed before the COVID situation, but now have become more significant to many of us. I could move #10 and #12 over there if you want and I could even close this thread.

Let me know what you prefer.

You have several options...

You could keep this thread going as a separate one, if you have a particular theme such as pretending to start from SJPP. (For example, I have a thread here about a virtual walk on the Camino Sanabres.) We could change the thread title to make it clearer, to bring more people along with you.

Or, you might consider posting information on your local walks on this existing thread. The "Local walks" threads existed before the COVID situation, but now have become more significant to many of us. I could move #10 and #12 over there if you want and I could even close this thread.

Let me know what you prefer.
Thanks C Clearly. Maybe close this thread and move to the local walks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back