• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credencial & certificate - section hiking!

John MLT

Not all those who wander are lost!
Time of past OR future Camino
2019: Sanabres; Primitivo; 2018: SdC-Muxia-Finisterre; 2017: 2014-2017 SJPdP-SdC; 2015: Tui-SdC;
Hi all,

I'll be walking the Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago over two parts. This September Ill be walking to Burgos, and then from there to Santiago in April of next year. Can anyone tell me if I'll have any issues when presenting the stamped credencial at the certificate office in Santiago when I make it there next year please? I very much wish to use the same Credencial for obvious reasons. Has anyone experience with this? Cheers guys :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is quite common for people to walk the camino in stages, sometimes in weekly stages, returning each year to finish another stage.

Most continue to use the same credential without issue

Hi all,

I'll be walking the Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago over two parts. This September Ill be walking to Burgos, and then from there to Santiago in April of next year. Can anyone tell me if I'll have any issues when presenting the stamped credencial at the certificate office in Santiago when I make it there next year please? I very much wish to use the same Credencial for obvious reasons. Has anyone experience with this? Cheers guys :)
Hi John, as already stated you will have no problem wath so ever.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a credential - but will only have two weeks to walk so considering starting in Astorga - will I have issues with a blank credential at the first alburgue? Does the credential have to show authentication to get a bed? thanks.

No problem with starting with a blank credential. Simply tell the hospitalero that you are starting off from their location. The credential will then be stamped. Do fill in the personal data info prior to arriving at your first stop in order to save time at a busy check-in desk.

Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks everyone, what a great crowd you lot are! I'm surprised so many took the time to reply. Cheers :D

Hi hall.
Since 2016 April, Santiago´s Pilgrim Office said they will NOT extend certificates if pilgrims are not using the new credential , edited by them, but acepted the old ones if the pilgrimage have been started before this month. But I dont know if they will respect the old ones if the camino have been walked in stages . I suggest you to check yours to be sure. Perhaps Ivar could explain it more clearly than me, due my bad english.
Buen Camino to all honest people.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmm. Interesting. I'll check this out. Thanks!

Hi Zuzana,

I cannot say I have been actively looking for an answer on this, but I could only find the new credencial available for sale. As soon as I find a minute I'll check the FAQ on the Pilgrim's office site, possibly even contact them. I do not think I have a choice in the matter! :/

Apologies for the not-so-helpful reply.
John.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Zuzana,

I cannot say I have been actively looking for an answer on this, but I could only find the new credencial available for sale. As soon as I find a minute I'll check the FAQ on the Pilgrim's office site, possibly even contact them. I do not think I have a choice in the matter! :/

Apologies for the not-so-helpful reply.
John.

Thank you for reply, John.
I checked the web site and found some info only in Spanish :) but it was exactly what Pinguigrino mentioned in his post.
I was not sure if I should order credential from Pilgrim's office or it will be OK to buy in albergue as some albergues have their own ones. However I think I will order it from Pilgrim's office.

And you helped, I now know that I need the official credential :)

Last year in September I walked from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Sahagun, and hopefully this year in August I will continue.
Enjoy your camino, it is great experience!

Buen camino!
Zuzana

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.