• In case you had not seen it, there is a new link in the top menu to the most popular contents on the forum from the last 90 days, 1 year and all the way from the beginning in 2004.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Credencial & certificate - section hiking!

2020 Camino Guides

John MLT

Not all those who wander are lost!
Camino(s) past & future
2019: Sanabres; Primitivo; 2018: SdC-Muxia-Finisterre; 2017: 2014-2017 SJPdP-SdC; 2015: Tui-SdC;
Hi all,

I'll be walking the Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago over two parts. This September Ill be walking to Burgos, and then from there to Santiago in April of next year. Can anyone tell me if I'll have any issues when presenting the stamped credencial at the certificate office in Santiago when I make it there next year please? I very much wish to use the same Credencial for obvious reasons. Has anyone experience with this? Cheers guys :)

jirit

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
It is quite common for people to walk the camino in stages, sometimes in weekly stages, returning each year to finish another stage.

Most continue to use the same credential without issue

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Hi all,

I'll be walking the Camino Frances from St Jean to Santiago over two parts. This September Ill be walking to Burgos, and then from there to Santiago in April of next year. Can anyone tell me if I'll have any issues when presenting the stamped credencial at the certificate office in Santiago when I make it there next year please? I very much wish to use the same Credencial for obvious reasons. Has anyone experience with this? Cheers guys :)
Hi John, as already stated you will have no problem wath so ever.
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Michael Mark

Camino(s) past & future
I have a credential - but will only have two weeks to walk so considering starting in Astorga - will I have issues with a blank credential at the first alburgue? Does the credential have to show authentication to get a bed? thanks.

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
No problem with starting with a blank credential. Simply tell the hospitalero that you are starting off from their location. The credential will then be stamped. Do fill in the personal data info prior to arriving at your first stop in order to save time at a busy check-in desk.

Buen camino!

John MLT

Camino(s) past & future
2019: Sanabres; Primitivo; 2018: SdC-Muxia-Finisterre; 2017: 2014-2017 SJPdP-SdC; 2015: Tui-SdC;
Thanks everyone, what a great crowd you lot are! I'm surprised so many took the time to reply. Cheers :D

Pingüigrino

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Aragones, Vasco del Interior, Baztanes. (Frances Winter, La Plata, Camino de Invierno, Mozarabe, Norte, Primitivo.)
Hi hall.
Since 2016 April, Santiago´s Pilgrim Office said they will NOT extend certificates if pilgrims are not using the new credential , edited by them, but acepted the old ones if the pilgrimage have been started before this month. But I dont know if they will respect the old ones if the camino have been walked in stages . I suggest you to check yours to be sure. Perhaps Ivar could explain it more clearly than me, due my bad english.
Buen Camino to all honest people.

Last edited:

John MLT

Camino(s) past & future
Hmm. Interesting. I'll check this out. Thanks!

John MLT

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Zuzana,

I cannot say I have been actively looking for an answer on this, but I could only find the new credencial available for sale. As soon as I find a minute I'll check the FAQ on the Pilgrim's office site, possibly even contact them. I do not think I have a choice in the matter! :/

Apologies for the not-so-helpful reply.
John.

Zuzana

Camino(s) past & future
(September 2015)
Hi Zuzana,

I cannot say I have been actively looking for an answer on this, but I could only find the new credencial available for sale. As soon as I find a minute I'll check the FAQ on the Pilgrim's office site, possibly even contact them. I do not think I have a choice in the matter! :/

Apologies for the not-so-helpful reply.
John.
Thank you for reply, John.
I checked the web site and found some info only in Spanish :) but it was exactly what Pinguigrino mentioned in his post.
I was not sure if I should order credential from Pilgrim's office or it will be OK to buy in albergue as some albergues have their own ones. However I think I will order it from Pilgrim's office.

And you helped, I now know that I need the official credential :)

Last year in September I walked from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Sahagun, and hopefully this year in August I will continue.
Enjoy your camino, it is great experience!

Buen camino!
Zuzana

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 48 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 282 24.3%