• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credencial Del Peregrino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi all fellow pilgrims
Received my Credencial today
So looking forward to this pilgrimage
Needed now more then ever In this crazy year of 2020 ❤🙏😘

Welcome to the Forum, Karen. A lot of us are excited for you. :)

It is fun to sorta relive the excitement of "Firsts" from new Pilgrims. I look forward to reading your posts as you share your preparations and progress.

If you haven't already, take a look at the inside of your Credencial for the section that asks for your name, etc. Be sure to fill that section out before you leave. It saves time for the Pilgrim Office volunteers when you present your Credencial for your Compostela, with everything already neatly printed out.

Filling out that section ahead of time can also serve as a way for a Credencial, which goes accidentally missing while on Camino, to be returned. And it happens; someone is many days or weeks into their Camino, with all of the Sellos they've collected, and then they suddenly discover that it is missing.

I have a secondary Gmail email address, which is separate from my primary email address. It is a "throwaway" that is not linked to any online accounts or subscriptions or business contacts. I will also add that to the Credencial information area. If I were to lose my Credencial, it is easy for the person who finds it to get in contact with me. The same thing could be done with a cell phone number, but I'd prefer to stick with my throaway email address.

Keep posting your progress, and, of course if you have questions or concerns start a new thread with what you need to know. I do not know if this will be useful to you:

Here is a link which also may be of help as you begin: American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a camino pilgrimage

A few suggestions which may help as a new member and new Pilgrim:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. As you wait for the days to pass by so that you can finally depart for your Camino, savor and cherish this time, as it is a part of your Camino, too. You fondly recall past memories of childhood days of excitement and anticipation that led up to happy events, like Christmas or Birthdays or Camping trips, or visiting Grandma. So, too, long after your Camino is completed, will all of these days of waiting and preparation become fond memories.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all fellow pilgrims

Hola @Karen Marleau-Ferris Yes welcome to the Camino Forum. Yes you will have lots of questions, I know Dave has offered lots of advice. My advice concerns your Credencial itself, depending upon which camino you walk and where you start you might find that you run out of spaces to stamp your cellos. At each albergue/casa rural etc that you stay at they will stamp your credencial to prove that you have walked the distances you claim. From past experiences by the time you add in a few churches and other place, not to mention to "two stamps per day rule for the last 100 km (60 miles) you are more than likely to run out of spaces. If this happens all you need to do ask one of the albergues or larger churches for a second credencial. If you happen to buy a guide book from Ivar (the administrator of this Forum) he will quite often include a credencial (or two). I did some "cut and pasting" and joined two credencials into one. I also took along a zip lock bag (one of the small sandwich size ones) to ensure that the credencial did not get wet. Cheers for now and also looking forward to hearing/reading about your adventures once The Way reopens. ;)🚶‍♀️🏃‍♀️

Hi all fellow pilgrims

I so loved the Camino Portuguese. I know it’s wrong to be envious but I am! Lol Bom Caminho

Hello and welcome @Karen Marleau-Ferris! I second what @davebugg covered - very good information and suggestions. And also what @Saint Mike II says about your credential and the stamps. You can do the minimum to qualify for your compolstela (at least one per day, two per day in the last 100 km), but I quickly came to love the stamps, and got stamps at places I stayed, churches, cafes (bars), other places of interest, etc. I filled up three credentials on my last Camino Frances. My credentials full of stamps are a powerful reminder of the daily journey across Spain.

And, if you find your credential filling as you make your way towards Santiago de Compostela, you can purchase an additional credential at many churches, typically for 2 Euro.

Buen Camino,
--james--

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.