• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credencial - Filling out the first page information

BobY333

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 - which Camino? IDK!
2025 CF from SJPdP?
My wife and I are sooooo looking forward to getting back to the Camino. For our first Camino (Frances, Sept-Oct 2018) we received our credencial from the US confraternity. It had all of our information nicely filled out for us (I have terrible handwriting!). I then needed another credencial because I collected too many stamps. The young man at the pilgrim's office in Ponferrada took great pride in filling out the information in beautiful, flowing script, including using red pen for the first letters of my name!

Ok, so my question is this: We have purchased the Holy Year credencials from Ivar. We plan to walk the Camino Portugues from Porto in Sept-Oct 2021. If we go to the Cathedral in Porto for our first sello, might there be someone there to beautifully fill out the first page information? If not, does anyone know where we might have this done? Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I are sooooo looking forward to getting back to the Camino. For our first Camino (Frances, Sept-Oct 2018) we received our credencial from the US confraternity. It had all of our information nicely filled out for us (I have terrible handwriting!). I then needed another credencial because I collected too many stamps. The young man at the pilgrim's office in Ponferrada took great pride in filling out the information in beautiful, flowing script, including using red pen for the first letters of my name!

Ok, so my question is this: We have purchased the Holy Year credencials from Ivar. We plan to walk the Camino Portugues from Porto in Sept-Oct 2021. If we go to the Cathedral in Porto for our first sello, might there be someone there to beautifully fill out the first page information? If not, does anyone know where we might have this done? Thank you!

I wouldn’t count on it.

Perhaps you know someone locally? You could try searching ‘calligraphy’ and your location? Or try a local wedding organiser or florist; their place cards and labels used to be all hand-written before technology took over.

I had a good friend who was in high demand for wedding invitations because of his tremendous handwriting.

(I see that in the time it took me to type this a solution arrived!)👍

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What dates were you there in Sept/Oct 2018?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We started out of SJPdP on Sept 14, got to Santiago Oct 16, left for Muxia-Finisterre Oct 18, arrived Finisterre Oct 20. We think about that trip every day!
I was a couple of weeks ahead of you. My first and I have been obsessed ever since. Planned to go in 2020 but we all know how that turned out. All things going well, I plan to be back next May/June. Buen Camino!!!

Buen Camino to you as well! I agree with the obsession. We have new life-long friends as a result of this incredible journey. We want to try the CP, but I also look forward to the CF again - perhaps in ‘22. I thought Sept/Oct was ideal. We were spoiled with just two days with a bit of rain, and plenty of figs and grapes to sustain us :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

As I’m doing my Camino in ‘instalments’ I’ve had two so far, one of which I wrote out and the other which I typed details and glued them into the first page.
Assuming that you intend to keep this ‘passport’ and that your family and friends might see it when you’re gone, would you like them to read your actual handwriting or someone they don’t know who happens to have good calligraphy skills?

We started out of SJPdP on Sept 14, got to Santiago Oct 16, left for Muxia-Finisterre Oct 18, arrived Finisterre Oct 20. We think about that trip every day!
I am 99% certain that we crossed paths multiple times! I have photos of you at the communal dinner at Albergue A Reboleira in Fonfria, the pizza place in Portomarin, and the 100km marker. We also ran into each other on the bus back from Finisterre. After the bus station in Santiago, I went directly to the train station (and Pontevedra) and did the Variante Espiritual which was great, too! Take care and ¡Buen Camino! I will PM you a link to the photos.

Buen Camino to you as well! I agree with the obsession. We have new life-long friends as a result of this incredible journey. We want to try the CP, but I also look forward to the CF again - perhaps in ‘22. I thought Sept/Oct was ideal. We were spoiled with just two days with a bit of rain, and plenty of figs and grapes to sustain us :)
My wife and I did the CP in 2018. Loved every step. Better food than CF. The pasteries were magical and the bakeries opened as early as 6a. I read an article on the plane magazine on the way to Portugal—“40 Portugués pastries you must eat before you die”. I tried as many as I could. They are better the toast or cold tortilla.

Here’s a blog you may like https://2018jaxcamino.blogspot.com/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am 99% certain that we crossed paths multiple times! I have photos of you at the communal dinner at Albergue A Reboleira in Fonfria, the pizza place in Portomarin, and the 100km marker. We also ran into each other on the bus back from Finisterre. After the bus station in Santiago, I went directly to the train station (and Pontevedra) and did the Variante Espiritual which was great, too! Take care and ¡Buen Camino! I will PM you a link to the photos.
I love this! What a great group on this forum. Yes - Fonfria was awesome (the woman serving everyone was so happy and positive), the pizza place was a good, solid meal (and card game) and the bus was the first transportation that wasn’t our feet in over 30 days! So good to find a connection :)

Be careful not to have lettering that is too florid. As an Anglo I was brought up with a certain style of printed and a certain style of cursive hand so I found it difficult to read Spanish handwriting (think the chalk boards outside of restaurants) when presented with a Spanish credential in the Pilgrim Office and would have to ask for the Pilgrim's DNI in order to get the details right. A Spanish volunteer might have the same problem in reverse if the writing isn't "clear" to them!

My wife and I did the CP in 2018. Loved every step. Better food than CF. The pasteries were magical and the bakeries opened as early as 6a. I read an article on the plane magazine on the way to Portugal—“40 Portugués pastries you must eat before you die”. I tried as many as I could. They are better the toast or cold tortilla.

Here’s a blog you may like https://2018jaxcamino.blogspot.com/
That blog (I assume it's yours?) is excellent. You had me a little concerned with so many 20+ mile days early in the journey! We built up to that on the CF, but a few of those days were a slog by the end - specifically going into Belorado and Carrion de los Condes. Fortunately, we have a few buffer days at the end this time, so we can afford to meander a bit. I think that will be the biggest change with this second Camino. We felt the need to press ahead on the CF - not quite like a race, but still....This time we hope to take it a bit slower and take some of the "option" ways. Of course, the key variable will be our Camino Family!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That blog (I assume it's yours?) is excellent. You had me a little concerned with so many 20+ mile days early in the journey! We built up to that on the CF, but a few of those days were a slog by the end - specifically going into Belorado and Carrion de los Condes. Fortunately, we have a few buffer days at the end this time, so we can afford to meander a bit. I think that will be the biggest change with this second Camino. We felt the need to press ahead on the CF - not quite like a race, but still....This time we hope to take it a bit slower and take some of the "option" ways. Of course, the key variable will be our Camino Family!
Yes - my Blog. The 20+ day on day one was caused by a detour to see to Bom Jesus de Matosinhos church. It was worth it, but with better planning we would have stayed closer for the first day. Day one was 24 miles and Day two was 10 to rest -- so poor planning our our part. The other alternative would be to take a cable car in Porto out the the beach and cut about 5km off the first day.

I recommend that the information also have a telephone number and/or an email address. Lots of folks value their credentials more than their compostelas. The credentials get mislaid and lost more often though.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.