• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credencial in Lisbon

flecher

I have just registered so I do not know my way around the site yet.

I am planning the CP from Lisbon this May and would like to know where in Lisbon I could obtain a Credencial for the journey

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Flecher,
Were do you live? There are at least several places on-line where you can order a credencial. One, is the American Friends of the Camino. There are others which I am investigating right now. Google it. I am also going by bike in May.

Hi, thanks for reply.
I'm from Scotland but I like to collect my credencial from the country (and town) of my camino start point. I got the French credencial in SJPDP for the Camino Frances and the Spanish one in Seville for the RDLP.
I know I could get a Portuguese credencial in Oporto but I would like to know if I got get one in Lisbon somewhere when I start there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, flecher,

I have tried to find a Lisbon Amigos group or something similar without any luck. I think Javier Martin, if he sees this post, may have some ideas. I also have read that the camino is now well marked with yellow arrows starting from the Cathedral in Lisbon, but I have been unable to find any yellow arrows there (I'm spending some time in Lisbon this year). Maybe I'm just being dense overlooking something obvious.

I will go back to the cathedral in the next couple of weeks and will ask around for advice on credenciales. Laurie

Hi, flecher,

I haven't yet found the place where you can get your credencial in Lisbon, but I can tell you that they are not available at the Cathedral. I was there this week and the not too helpful attendants told me to go to the Igreja da Misercordia in the Chiado. Only problem with that advice is that there's no church in the Chiado by that name. I will go and see what I can find next week.

But I decided to walk the first 8 km of the Camino Portugues from the Cathedral, it was a beautiful day. There are arrows everywhere, you cannot get lost for the first 8 km at least!

Here are my pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.reyn ... Dxipep3Vo#

Lisbon is a very beautiful, walkable city, but this walk isn't terribly pretty. It does go past the Tile Museum, which is, IMO, a "must see" spot in Lisbon. And the Parque Nacoes, where I stopped, is right on the Tejo/Tajo River and is very nice. There is a metro stop here at the Parque Nacoes, so if you want to avoid the in-city walking, this is an easy place to get to from central Lisbon. But I imagine that it's pretty urban from here north for a fair number of km as well. I am planning to walk a bit more from Parque Nacoes and I will report back when I do!

Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Laurie
Thanks for your attempts so far. Maybe you are getting the tourist treatment.
The weather there is obviously different from our snow and now with seeing your pictures I'm keen to get started.
I've posted Javier Martin with my query to see if he can help.
I look forward to any news you have.
Regards
Robert

I have just returned from picking up a Credencial in Lisbon and can give the following information.

Igreja dos Martires. This neoclassical church is on the Rua Garrett near the corner of the Rua Serpa Pinto. If you go by metro, the stop if Baixa/Chiado. You want to take the exit that will take you up to the Chiado, which involves hundreds of feet of escalators up.

When you emerge from the metro exit, you'll be in a very "happening" place. There are a couple of very famous cafes on the square, A Brasileira and Borges. They are old and ornate inside. Head down, and the church is about a block away on your right hand side.

Hours of operation-- I think to be safe, you should plan to go on M-F between 10 and 5. On weekends there are sometimes people there in the office, but not always. The office is on the left hand side of the church as you go towards the altar, about halfway down. Cost is 2E.

I will try to remember to bring my camera the next time I'm in the area and post some pictures, but it is very easy to find.

Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back