• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credencial in Oviedo

Anna Machial

Time of past OR future Camino
Due to a flight change we are arriving in Oviedo May 2, Sunday afternoon, instead of a day earlier as planned. Will the tourist office be open that day? The tourist office site says it is closed on Sunday during winter but open in summer. Is May considered summer?

If it is closed where can we get credencials? It might be too late to get them by mail since we are in rural Canada.

Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A Credencial is available from the Astur Leonesa Association at the Albergue El Salvador, Calle Adolfo Posada, No. 3 . Tel: 985 22 85 25. I suspect there is one available at the Cathedral but I have no personal experience.

Buen Camino

A Credencial is available from the Astur Leonesa Association at the Albergue El Salvador, Calle Adolfo Posada, No. 3 . Tel: 985 22 85 25. I suspect there is one available at the Cathedral but I have no personal experience.

Buen Camino
Thanks for the info. I just ordered 2 credencials from the store for this site. If I don't get them in time I'll check at the alberque. Unfortunately, according to my guide the alberque doesn't open until 5:00 so we wouldn't be able to start when we want to, or else we would need to, maybe taxi back. I don't know.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Due to a flight change we are arriving in Oviedo May 2, Sunday afternoon, instead of a day earlier as planned. Will the tourist office be open that day? The tourist office site says it is closed on Sunday during winter but open in summer. Is May considered summer?

If it is closed where can we get credencials? It might be too late to get them by mail since we are in rural Canada.

Thanks.
Hi, Anna, I think that May is generally not considered "summer hours" so you should get your credenciales before you get to Oviedo.

The Canadian Camino Association also sells them and will mail one to you: http://www.santiago.ca/credential.php

Buen camino, Laurie

If you arrive in the afternoon then the Cámara Santa is open on Monday morning (10.00 opening time). They will have credentials and your first stamp will be Oviedo Cathedral stamp. The Cámara Santa is part of the Cathedral but through a door in the south wall. Note that you do not pay to enter the shop area where they have the credentials (approx 1.50€) or to see as far as the chapel itself as a pilgrim. The charge is for the museum and non-pilgrims.
Well worth having breakfast, visiting the cathedral and then setting off IMO
Buen Camino

Thanks for the info. I got cold feet about credenciales and so ordered 2 from Ivar. They are shipped already so I may get them in time. Shipping to Hong Kong from my place can take from a week to 3 weeks so we will see. Picking them up Monday morning if necessary may be a very nice option. Maybe at some point we can take a bus/taxi to make up time if I turn out too slow a pilgrim for our schedule. (I have nothing against being a very slow pilgrim but my daughter has work she doesn't want to miss.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anna, where are you planning to spend Sunday night? If you are not arriving into Oviedo till the Sunday afternoon then even the Albergue at Escampiero is a 12k hike. The Albergue in Oviedo will make you welcome and issue your Credencial.

Buen camino

Anna, where are you planning to spend Sunday night? If you are not arriving into Oviedo till the Sunday afternoon then even the Albergue at Escampiero is a 12k hike. The Albergue in Oviedo will make you welcome and issue your Credencial.

Buen camino
Hmmmm. We will be in Oviedo about 1:00. We wouldn't have a lot of time to look around though and that would be disappointing. Originally we were spending Sat. night in Oviedo and giving ourselves half a day to explore, though now it seems sights are closed on Sunday. We'll see what happens when we get there. But thank you for the info since now I know what my options are.

Hmmmm. We will be in Oviedo about 1:00. We wouldn't have a lot of time to look around though and that would be disappointing. Originally we were spending Sat. night in Oviedo and giving ourselves half a day to explore, though now it seems sights are closed on Sunday. We'll see what happens when we get there. But thank you for the info since now I know what my options are.

Hi, Anna,
I'm not sure which places you're thinking about when you say things are closed on Sunday, because in my experience, Sunday morning is prime tourist time. Sunday afternoons are not good tourist times, but you can pack a lot in in the morning! I'm thinking of things like the cathedral, its museum, the Naranco pre-romanesque church and palace, the Museum of Bellas Artes, etc. All are open on Sunday till 1:30 or 2 pm.

Enjoy Oviedo! Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Anna,
I'm not sure which places you're thinking about when you say things are closed on Sunday, because in my experience, Sunday morning is prime tourist time. Sunday afternoons are not good tourist times, but you can pack a lot in in the morning! I'm thinking of things like the cathedral, its museum, the Naranco pre-romanesque church and palace, the Museum of Bellas Artes, etc. All are open on Sunday till 1:30 or 2 pm.

Enjoy Oviedo! Buen camino, Laurie
Originally we flew into Oviedo Saturday evening. Now we won't get the Asturias airport until 12:50 Sunday, and then there is the bus ride in.

We arrive in Oviedo on Saturday night. Will the cathedral be open on Sunday morning to collect our credencial? Their website says it's closed so I guess I'm hoping for the best!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back