• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credencial Questions

A Good Wander

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Invierno May/June 2018
Greetings,

I'm beginning my first Camino on May 2nd in SJPP. I arrive at 13:00 and will walk that first day to Orisson where I have a reservation. I have a few questions about picking up my pilgrim passport:

1. I'd prefer to buy the passport at the Pilgrim's Office--seems like a great way to start. Will they be open in the afternoon?
2. I understand that they sell the new passport which doesn't have as much room for stamps as the old one. Do they still sell the old one as well? If not, is it possible to get the old one elsewhere in SJPP?
3. Or would it just be better for me to order my passport before leaving Canada so as to miss any lineup at the Pilgrim's Office? Is there typically a long wait there? Would be sad to miss the communal dinner at Orisson ;)

Thanks,
Peter

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You'll need to go to the Pilgrims office to get your first stamp. I've been twice, once in the morning, and once in the afternoon, and definitely less wait in the afternoon.
It's only 8 km to Orisson (but very steep), so if you are at all fit you should easily be there in time for dinner.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, @trecile and @oursonpolaire. Sounds like I'll have enough time to go with the original plan to make my first stop the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP.

I am curious if they still offer the old credencial for sale?

Greetings,

I'm beginning my first Camino on May 2nd in SJPP. I arrive at 13:00 and will walk that first day to Orisson where I have a reservation. I have a few questions about picking up my pilgrim passport:

1. I'd prefer to buy the passport at the Pilgrim's Office--seems like a great way to start. Will they be open in the afternoon?
2. I understand that they sell the new passport which doesn't have as much room for stamps as the old one. Do they still sell the old one as well? If not, is it possible to get the old one elsewhere in SJPP?
3. Or would it just be better for me to order my passport before leaving Canada so as to miss any lineup at the Pilgrim's Office? Is there typically a long wait there? Would be sad to miss the communal dinner at Orisson ;)

Thanks,
Peter
For my first Camino I got my pilgrim passport from the pilgrim office in SJPDP in the evening, - its a fairly basic concertina booklet in white card. Last year my sister joined us for the second Camino, and she pre-purchased hers through the Australian pilgrim website I think. It was the same size, a book , with a dark green cover, much nicer looking than ours. I've just purchased from Ivar (should arrive today) 4 passports, for when we take the kids next year. The cover is green, like my sisters, but it looks like its a concertina style as well. I only ordered it last week, so the DHL service is pretty quick. The first one I got did two caminos (only just), but I was only getting one stamp a day mostly and we did 25-35 kms a day. I suspect with the kids, only 20kms a day and they will look for cellos and they'll fill up more quickly.

Thanks, @trecile and @oursonpolaire. Sounds like I'll have enough time to go with the original plan to make my first stop the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP.

I am curious if they still offer the old credencial for sale?

The credential issued in the pilgrims office is the French one. Well it was last time I was there. Not sure how many spaces it has though. Also the office is open until after the last transport (train/bus) arrives in town, so late afternoon/early evening ish.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola @A Good Wander ; you have hit on one of the issues with the new smaller "approved "credentials - they do not have enough stamp spaces if one wants to get intermediate (church etc) stamps - in addition to meeting the requirement for two stamps per day from Sarria. I was fortunate to have two credentials (from Ivar) I ended up doing some cutting and pasting so that I had about 50 or more stamp spots. If you obtain one with 40 or more stamp stops then I recommend getting it. Cheers and buen Camino.

Thanks. If I can't find an old credencial with more spaces, will the pilgrims office sell me two new ones? If not, I suppose I can pick another one up along the way at one of the Albergues?

@A Good Wander I ordered my credencial from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims ahead of time, and displayed it at my desk for months before I left. It started lots of conversations and was a pick me up when in the preparation stages.

When I went to albergues, it became a topic of conversation for some of the hospitaleros - they hadn't seen one like that before, it was unique!

If it is important to you to have the credencial from the pilgrim's office, by all means do so! But there are some benefits to having one before you go.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola @A Good Wander ; you have hit on one of the issues with the new smaller "approved "credentials - they do not have enough stamp spaces if one wants to get intermediate (church etc) stamps - in addition to meeting the requirement for two stamps per day from Sarria. I was fortunate to have two credentials (from Ivar) I ended up doing some cutting and pasting so that I had about 50 or more stamp spots. If you obtain one with 40 or more stamp stops then I recommend getting it. Cheers and buen Camino.
Mine just arrived, two seconds ago - nowhere near as much space as my old one. Its much smaller, may be better for fitting pockets, I haven't tried it yet. It will be fine for a Leon-Santiago Camino, but only one side can be stamped. There are maps etc printed on the other side. And there is only room for 6 stamps per page. My old one could be stamped on both sides, took 8 stamps per page, and was a bit bigger, and it was ruled into boxes to keep the stamps readable and neat. A full Camino would definitely need 2, if you also collect from churches, bars, cafes etc.
I think we will rule lines into it to keep it in order. The stamps are all different sizes/shapes etc. I do refer back to my old credential for the names and addresses of different albergues. Its a great record of where you've been.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Greetings,

Thanks,
Peter
Greetings,

Thanks,
Peter
You can get it directly from the church in Santiago de Compostela log in to : oficinadelperegrino.com I paid for mine and received it in 3 Days for a fee. It is beautiful and large for the stamps and some history and pics.

If you carry a guide book, and want stamps for more places than actually required, you could always have the page for your current location stamped. Might not be pretty, but once you reach your destination, you don't need the guide to tell you where you are. Don't know if the folks in Santiago would be willing to accept this method of stamps, but if you are going to carry a guide book and not remove pages as you walk, you might as well make maximum use of the available resources. Just a thought...

Greetings,

Thanks,
Peter
Hi Peter ,

1 - You also can order your Credential here at the Forum store .

2 - Take two , problem solved .

3 - Communal diner in the albergue Orisson starts at 19.00 hr. You have to be there before it begins .

Wish you a wonderfull time and a Buen Camino , Peter .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Peter ,

1 - You also can order your Credential here at the Forum store .

2 - Take two , problem solved .

3 - Communal diner in the albergue Orisson starts at 19.00 hr. You have to be there before it begins .

Wish you a wonderfull time and a Buen Camino , Peter .

I think this is exactly what I'll do. Thanks. Can't wait.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.