• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credencial stamp Location

RayZee

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances' 2018
Portuguese (Lisbon) 2023
Where can I get my credencial stamped in Vila Franca de Xira?

Is there a master list of stamp locations for the Camino Portugues (Lisbon to Santiago)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I got mine stamped where I stayed at Hostal DP. I didn't check if there were other places that might provide a stamp.

As to master list, not that I know of, and I just wonder why you think such a thing would exist. I got stamps at cafes, pastelarias, restaurants and churchs, as well as albergues B&Bs, hostels and hotels. It was never a problem.

I've done a bit of reading on the Camino Portugues and it seemed that the authors always mentioned that finding a stamp location wasn't as easy as it was on the Frances, Also, I didn't expect that there was a list but if you don't ask.......

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can always ask at a police station.

December 2011 when I arrived at
Caldas de Reis much was closed for siesta; I was pooped and could neither find the tourist office nor an open albergue.

When I entered to ask for help at the local police station they formally stamped my Credential and kindly directed me to a nearby open bar.

11.Dec.2011.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I didn't expect that there was a list but if you don't ask.......
True.

If this is your first camino, you might be surprised about how organic you find it. Many, if not most, things get provided, supplied or otherwise happen because of the initiatives of local people, friends organisations or town councils. There are some central sources, such as Gronze, but largely I think the Camino is a wonderful example of a bottom-up arrangement.

The CP appears to have somewhat stronger central mechanisms, although this appears focussed on coordinating the routes to Fatima. Where the two routes join together, south of Santarem and north of Ansiao, you can see some influences that a central body might have made in waymarking and signboards being more consistent.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Apart from Lisbon itself, i never had issue on CP with finding a stamp - yes they aren't as ubiquitous as on the camino frances but they aren't difficult to find. Most accomodation used to having pilgrims have one (or can tell you were to get one). But many government offices and businesses have some form of stamp, many churches too but often locked up in sacristy.
My current credentials on a route from home in Ireland which is definitely off any high traffic pilgrim route includes stamps from cafes, churches, libraries, government offices, accomodation, bars, bakeries, ferry operator, tourism offices, post office, shops, ... very few actual "pilgrim" stamps but official or business ones make up most of them. Part of my fun is now finding unusual places to find a stamp! (I am only missing one day which was a public holiday and everything was closed, even the campsite had no staff on duty.) But it won't be anywhere as tricky on the CP to find one!

I got my stamp at Hostel DP in Villafranca De Xira, but most cafes and all hostels and albergues will have a stamp. You will have no trouble getting one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got a stamp at the Se Cathedral in Lisbon
I arrived too late and left too early for the cathedral one, which is why I found it tricky. But elsewhere on the CP pilgrims are more easily recognised than in the crazy busy Lisboa, and far easier to find stamps.

I arrived too late and left too early for the cathedral one, which is why I found it tricky. But elsewhere on the CP pilgrims are more easily recognised than in the crazy busy Lisboa, and far easier to find stamps.
I got mine on a Sunday, immediately following the midday mass. If I hadn't attended that, I wouldn't have been let anywhere near someone who was able to find the stamp, and almost immediately I left, it appeared that there wouldn't be any way for a pilgrim to get their credencial stamped.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We got ours on a Sunday afternoon at the Se in Lisbon - didn't realize that the cathedral's loja (store) would be closed, but asked and a kindly gentleman unlocked the drawer and stamped our credencials.

And don’t forget pharmacies. On my first Camino, I managed to get plenty of Farmacia stamps.😂
Never thought of pharmacies! That will be on list of places to try to get a stamp from.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back