• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credencial

D

Deleted member 3000

Possessing an articulateness that I lack, the American Pilgrims on the Camino encloses the following with its Credencial:

Dear Friend of the Camino,

Thank you for your request. I am pleased to enclose your Credencial, issued by American Pilgrims on the Camino.

A few things to keep in mind as you begin your pilgrimage:
This pilgrim's Credencial is intended for pilgrims wishing to make a spiritual journey, traveling on foot, bicycle or horseback on the Camino to Santiago de Compostela.

The Credencial identifies the pilgrim. It concedes no rights, but serves two practical purposes:
1. Access to pilgrim refugios offering hospitality along the Camino. (Anyone using a back-up vehicle or who is part of an organized group should seek alternative accommodations.)
2. Acquisition of the Compostela certificate at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago de Compostela.

Many refugios depend on voluntary donations. Any contribution will be very welcome.

Hospitaleros and refugio rules are there for the benefit of all.

The Camino is a thousand years long; and you are about to become part of it. May it lead you to experiences and discoveries that will stay with you always.

I go out on a limb here, but my summary would be, "You are a guest. Act like it."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Where it is obtained?

RONCESVALLES - Pilgrim's office
CANFRANC - Tourism office of Canfranc Estación (Torre de Fusileros, located between Canfranc and the church of Santiago de jaca).
LARRASOAÑA - Municipal refuge of pilgrims (D. Santiago Zubiri)
PAMPLONA - The refuge
PUENTE LA REINA - The refuge
ESTELLA - The refuge
LOGROÑO - Municipal refuge of pilgrims
SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA - Refuge.
BURGOS - Refuge (Association of friends of the Way of Saint James)
FRÓMISTA - Pilgrim's office (Monasterio de San Zoilo)
LEÓN - Refuge
ASTORGA - Refuge
MOLINASECA - Refuge(Alfredo)
PONFERRADA - Refuge
VILLAFRANCA DEL BIERZO - Refuge AVE FÉNIX (Jato)
O CEBREIRO - Refuge
SAMOS - Refuge of the Monasterio
SARRIA - Refuge
PORTOMARÍN - Refuge

A Credential can also be obtained by post from Peterborough Pilgrims, follow the section at the bottom of the page. This is free service.
Ian H.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had heard that the credencial is "traded in" at Santiago de Compostella. I hope this isn't the case, because it makes for a great conversation piece and souvenir. Please let me know.

WanderingChristian said:
I had heard that the credencial is "traded in" at Santiago de Compostella. I hope this isn't the case, because it makes for a great conversation piece and souvenir. Please let me know.
They put a final stamp in it and date it, and the lovely young woman who did mine said that it meant the pilgrimage was finished. But then they certainly give it (them) back to you. I imagine most people treasure them: they bring back many memories when you look over them again.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You do get it back after being authenticated and signed off. It certainly is a conversation piece like none other, I framed mine (about 1 metre) long and hung it on my office wall. :D

Don't forget...the Credencial is also your ticket for up to three "pilgrim "meals each day at the Parador, Also known as Hostal dos Reis Catolicos it was originally a Royal Hospital and dates back to 1499. It provided lodging and shelter for the numerous pilgrims making their way to Santiago, an age old practice which continues to this day.

Considered to be the oldest hotel(in continuous operation) in the world it is also one of the most luxurious.

OK, now for the "small print". They serve the meals in a special pilgrim room off the kitchen. It's both quaint and cozy. They only accept up to ten peregrinos per meal...so you have to arrive at the garage entrance (located at the end of the building to the left as you face the entrance) and que up.

I personally only ate my break fast meal there, just to experience the event. In the early spring or fall it isn't that hard to get in, but at heavy traffic times it can be frustrating because you have to que up to an hour before. Check with the front desk for meal times.

Arn

Don't forget...the Credencial is also your ticket for up to three "pilgrim "meals each day at the Parador
You need a copy of your Compostela for the meals (I don't know if the Completion Certificate for the atheists will work), and you will have to leave the copy, so three meals a day for three days means nine copies. The line may form several hours before each meal, usually with the same faces. It is a great tradition, but quite inconvenient.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Falcon said:
You need a copy of your Compostela for the meals (I don't know if the Completion Certificate for the atheists will work), and you will have to leave the copy

As usual, Falcon is correct...sorta!

It appears it's left to the discretion of the garage security guard as to what is acceptable to gain a meal. On my occasion, while some pilgrims had a copy of their compostela, the guard accepted the credencial...again small print...as long as it had the stamp of the Cathedral received at the Pilgrim's office.

In my case, I was looking more for the experience and a free tour of the Parador.

Arn

Re: Re: Credencial

They put a final stamp in it and date it, and the lovely young woman who did mine said that it meant the pilgrimage was finished. But then they certainly give it (them) back to you. I imagine most people treasure them: they bring back many memories when you look over them again.
Margaret

Whew! That is certainly a relief :cool:. I guess the old lady from SJPDP in "Off the Road" was either misinformed or was lying. She did admit to having never walked The Way. Downloaded the book (nook) as a proverbial carrot in front of me. Buen Camino

:arrow::geek::ugeek:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The most useful thing about pedantry is its entertainment value :)

In the office we suggest that pilgrims take photocopies of their credencial if they wish a free meal at the Parador but as Arn says many report that they gained admittance with their stamped credencial. This seems dependent on the doorman on that day.

Here is a little of the history of the tradition:

The Compostela was an important and useful document for pilgrims. In the 16th century the Catholic Monarchs constituted the Foundation of the Royal Hospital and ordered the construction of a hospital for pilgrims in Santiago. This was housed in the building now occupied by the Hotel Hostal de los Reyes Católicos . On presentation of their Compostela pilgrims were allowed to stay in the hospital for three days. The hospital looked after pilgrims’ health needs and it became the most important hospital in Galicia. Later in its history it became the centre of the faculty of Medicine of the University of Santiago de Compostela. In 1954 it was converted to a state run Parador hotel. However the hotel continues the tradition of pilgrim hospitality by providing free meals for three days to 10 pilgrims on production of the Compostela.

Explaining the credencial and its purpose to a member of the local constabulary who was preparing for the Camino, he exclaimed that it would be really good documentation for one's alibi, should one be under suspicion for some grave crime. If I were ever asked where I had been on 22 September last, I could simply pull out my credencial and reply that I was in Estella, and could prove it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think that we can all be assured that pilgrims are strongly supported by officers of the law everywhere and it is difficult to think of circumstances in which they would be suspected of anything. In this case, detectives would surely be satisfied with this evidence.

Can I get my Credential in St. Jean?
Do I need to order it somehow or just show up somewhere?
I will be arriving in a little over a week so if anyone can help with this that would be great.
Thank you
Dawn

Yes, go to the "accueil pèlerin" (pilgrim´s bureau) at Rue de la Citadelle, 39, SJPP. It is the main street of the old city, before the gates of the old walls. No pre-order needed.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, go to the "accueil pèlerin" (pilgrim´s bureau) at Rue de la Citadelle, 39, SJPP. It is the main street of the old city, before the gates of the old walls. No pre-order needed.

Thank you so much. I was just starting to panic that maybe I needed to order this ahead of time.

As Felipe states the "accueil pèlerin" is the place to go first in SJPdP. Run by the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle it stays open for the arrival of the last train/bus . Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. Their volunteers can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of all available space throughout the SJPdP area.

My wife and I completed our first Camino SJPP to SDC in May andJune of 2009. The experience changed our lives and has inspired us onto many more adventure experiences since. We hope to complete the Le Puy to SDC in 2018 or 2019 health and finances permitting.

We recently moved house and have 'lost' our much valued credentials. We think our removal guys left them on footpath whilst loading the truck.

Having exhausted every avenue to recover these I am wondering if it is possible to have them reissued by the office in Santiago given our records will be there in the register all. Who should I make contact with.

Hope someone can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are talking about the Compostelas, they can be replaced. Contact the Pilgrim Office with your name and date of issue, and they will issue replacements, though five years may be too long. If you are talking about the credential with the stamps, they may have joined the ages.

Thanks Falcon
Yes I meant the Compostela's
Will contact the office and see if they help
Cheers
Ian

My wife and I completed our first Camino SJPP to SDC in May andJune of 2009. The experience changed our lives and has inspired us onto many more adventure experiences since. We hope to complete the Le Puy to SDC in 2018 or 2019 health and finances permitting.

We recently moved house and have 'lost' our much valued credentials. We think our removal guys left them on footpath whilst loading the truck.

Having exhausted every avenue to recover these I am wondering if it is possible to have them reissued by the office in Santiago given our records will be there in the register all. Who should I make contact with.

Hope someone can help.

Hola - just contact Ivar via the "Get your Camino Passport" button on this page and he will organise a replacement for you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It really does not need to be anything special. you could probably use a small notebook. Or pieces of paper. Just let it show a sequence of dates and locations. Just a thought.

I find it strange that no one here has mentioned that you can get a credential by post from Ivar for just 2.50e. Just click on "Pilgrims Passport" on the menu line at the top of every page.

Yes, I second Al's post. We won't be walking until next year, but it gave me great pleasure to order a couple of credentials from Ivar and he posted them straight away. They arrived in Sydney within a week.

Last edited:

Hope someone can help.
Hi all
Thought it worth noting that my wife and my have 'found' our credentials. After being convinced they were gone this has been great news for us and we now have taken copies and put the originals behind glass and hung on the wall.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.