• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credenciales 2009 +

A

Anonymous

The priest in charge of the Oficina del peregrino, in Compostela, has sent letters to the Camino Associations in Spain advising them that within a period of two years, churches will be the only entities allowed to dispense credenciales for pilgrims that want to obtain compostelas. The Spanish asociations are up in arms about it. Attached is a Spanish language article containing the letter.

Buen Camino,

xm 8)

Papel membrete de la Oficina de Peregrinaciones.

Estimado Sr. y hermano,

En el boletín "Caminando" nº 19 de diciembre de 2.006, que edita la
Asociación riojana de Amigos del Camino de Santiago, en el editorial
del número se subraya: "A puertas del año nuevo 2007, algo tiene que
cambiar, peregrinos, Asociaciones, Ayuntamientos, Gobiernos
Regionales, Ministerios e Iglesia".

Como Delegado de las peregrinaciones de la Diócesis y Canónigo
Responsable de la Oficina de Acogida al Peregrino de la Catedral de
Santiago, asumo ese reto de cambiar y mejorar lo que toca a la
responsabilidad de la Iglesia, respecto a todo lo que se refiere al
inicio de la Peregrinación, a su desarrollo en el Camino, en la
Acogida en la meta y en la peregrinación.

El motivo de dirigirse a ustedes es comunicarles que a partir de
enero de 2.009, no admitiremos en la Oficina de Acogida de la
Catedral más que la Credencial de la Catedral. Les damos estos casi
dos años de margen de tiempo para que puedan dar salida a las que
tengan editadas. La razón fundamental es unificar la credencial, de
forma que los peregrinos reciban la información necesaria en la
preparación e inicio de su peregrinación; y evitar así conflictos
desagradables cuando llegan a la Oficina para recibir
la "Compostela". No pocos alegan falta de información cuando no se
les concede por no haber cumplido los requisitos establecidos, con la
credencial en la mano, que efectivamente no informaba de
las "condiciones necesarias".

Para afrontar esta situación y ponerle remedio, hemos contactado con
las diversas diócesis de España para que se hagan cargo de la
distribución y organización de las credenciales. Es a a ellas a las
que han de dirigirse, a través de las parroquias, en las que estén
establecidas las Asociaciones. Es necesaria la relación parroquia-
asociación, para que los peregrinos, si es posible, reciban
la "Bendición del Peregrino" en el inicio de su peregrinación.
El futuro del "Camino de Santiago" y de la "peregrinación Cristiana"
por el Camino de Santiago está en mandos de las distintas
instituciones, entre las que está la Iglesia, por lo que debemos
asumir nuestras responsabilidades respectivas, cada una desde el
campo que le es propicio.

Esperando su buena acogida a la propuesta que les hacemos desde la
Iglesia Archidiocesana de Compostela, en comunión con todas las
diócesis de las distintas rutas del "Camino de Santiago", quedamos a
su entera disposición en la Oficina de Acogida al Peregrino de la
catedral de Santiago.

Atentamente le saluda
Jenaro Cebrián Franco

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So from now on, you'll only be able to finish in Santiago, rather than walk to one point, one year, then pick up from there the next? Sounds pretty tough to me... :(

Minkey: am sure we'd still be able to do that. What's at stake here, among other things, is that the Church reserves for itself full control over dispensing credenciales, a responsibility currently shared not only by Spanish asociaciones, but international ones, like the CSJ. Pilgrims that will rightfully want to have their compostelas will have to buy them from Church entities. There's also a huge economic factor here. Remember that credenciales are no longer free. Therefore, what ever monies will be collected will end up with the Church. That's be quite a chunk of dough. Let's see how the kinks are worked out, it'll be interesting. Buen Camino :arrow: xm 8)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Translation from Babel Yahoo

Like Delegate of the peregrinations of the Diocese and Canon Responsible for the Office of Welcome to the Travelling one of the Cathedral of Santiago, I assume that challenge to change and to improve what touches to the responsibility of the Church, with respect to everything what talks about the beginning of the Peregrination, to its development in the Way, the Welcome in the goal and the peregrination. The reason to go to you is to communicate to them that as of January of 2,009, we will not admit more in the Office of Welcome of the Cathedral than the Credential of the Cathedral. We give these almost two years them of time margin so that they can give exit to which they have published. The fundamental reason is to unify the credential, so that the travelling ones receive the necessary information in the preparation and beginning of their peregrination; and to avoid disagreeable conflicts thus when they arrive at the Office to receive the "Compostela". Few do not allege lack of information when it is not granted to them by not to have fulfilled the requirements established, with the credential in the hand, that indeed did not inform into the "necessary conditions". In order to confront this situation and to put remedy to him, we have contacted with the diverse dioceses of Spain so that position of the distribution and organization of the credentials become. She is to a they to whom there are to go, through the parishes, in which the Associations are established. The relation is necessary parish association, so that the travelling ones, if it is possible, receive the "Blessing of the Travelling one" in the beginning of their peregrination. The future of the "Way of Santiago" and of the "Christian peregrination" by the Way of Santiago it is in controls of the different institutions, between which it is the Church, reason why we must assume our respective responsibilities, each one from the field that is to him propitious. Waiting for its good welcome to the proposal that we do to them from the Archdiocesan Church of Compostela, in comunión with all the diocese of the different routes from the "Way of Santiago", we were to its whole disposition in the Office of Welcome to the Travelling one of the cathedral of Santiago.

Is the intention to prevent Spaniards from other Christian Faiths or others to go on the Caminos ?

I cannot agree with this and I feel we, members of this forum that have walked/will walk on these roads, should voice our opinions.

Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how

Is the intention to prevent Spaniards from other Christian Faiths or others to go on the Caminos ?

I don't think that's the intention, Ulysee. It seems to be a combo of a power trip + economics. Buen Camino :arrow: xm 8)

:cry: :cry:

Do you believe this is done to collect money for the church ? If it is the case I am doubly disgusted. If the church in Santiago is so under funded, which I believe is the case, why not ask the Vatican to sell one or two articles in their Museums to fund for live the cathedral.... :evil:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
London is in England but there are also several London in Canada, USA, South Africa and even Finland, Nigeria or Belize.

About the credentials, you know that you can only get the Compostela if you state that you walked the Camino for religious reasons. For instance, I did the camino and I did not go to get the Compostela. What the Church is saying now is that the credential (which is the proof that you walked enough to get the Compostela) will no be issued only by them, because they want to provide enough information to those pilgrims that are upset when they don't get the Compostela for not being Catholic. There can be other reasons (like there are other Londons) but this is the reason they are giving.

Sorry, was being a bit slow. So basically, if you want a Compostela, you have to get your credential from the church. If you don't want a Compostela, then you can still get them from other places along the way?

Seems mighty odd. The Camino gives to the Church and the Church gives to the Camino, but why should the Church dictate that they should be the only ones to give Compostela worthy credentials?

Hmm.... Have I got it right, or am I still being thick?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For those pilgrims who do not walk for religious reasons, the cathedral authorities can still issue a different certificate, but not the Compostela.

I've met pilgrims along the way who admitted they were 'false pilgrims' (read: they were on a cheap vacation) but managed to get a Compostela in the end because it's so easy to tell the cathedral authorities they did it for religious/spiritual reasons. Apparently they wanted the Compostela and won't be happy with the other 'certificado'.

I really admire this pilgrim who did 200 km of the Portuguese route, arrived in Santiago (and Monte Do Gozo) without knowing the need for a credencial (he stayed in private places all the time) and couldn't care less if he got a Compostela or not. What he knows is he did the pilgrimage to Santiago, period.

Mark

Okies... Get ya. Everyone does the Camino for different reasons. Personally I get a number of positives from it... Makes me feel like me and clears a whole lot of rubbish from my head.

Credentials

Does this only apply to Spain?
If so, one would only need a Spanish credential from Sarria to qualify for the compostela.
If pilgrims start in other countries - Italy, France, Holland, Belguim etc., the authorities can't really dictate which credential they use from home.
When I walked the Via Turonenesis we took credentials issued by the CSJ in South Africa. Don't know where we would have bought them in Paris or Orleans?
I don't really mind walking with two credentials - one from home and an official one collected in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
London is in England but there are also several London in Canada, USA, South Africa and even Finland, Nigeria or Belize.

There's a "New London" I know of in the North America, but the idea was the implication albeit with an apparently wrong geographic location. Appreciate the correction. I actually thought of writing: "is the Pope Catholic?" Meaning, yes, to the question posed.

What the Church is saying now is that the credential...will no be issued only by them...

My understanding from the letter, attached, by Don Jenaro, English language translation supplied by Ulysse, is that come 2009, the Church, exclusively, will grant credenciales.

If you don't want a Compostela, then you can still get them from other places along the way?

My understanding from the letter is that only the Oficina del Peregrino, in Santiago, will continue issuing Compostelas. The issue at hand has to do with credenciales, two diff. documents, though the first are pretty much connected to the others.

...why should the Church dictate that they should be the only ones to give Compostela worthy credentials?

This is one of the issues that the associations are starting to argue.

Hmm.... Have I got it right, or am I still being thick?

Got it right, "como agua para chocolate" ("like water to chocolate-" hope that's a good comparison).

Does this only apply to Spain?

The letter mentioned Spain only.

Am sure that things will clarify themselves with time.

I think now I understand what Angel, a pilgrim, meant, when he said: "less Compostelas, more Caminos."

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm 8)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
nico500 said:

Ever so slightly :) off-topic but a place called "London" in Finland?

If there is as money in this as some of you seem to think there will no doubt be some organization other than the Church that will step in and offer their own Credential/Compostela. In fact, why not copyright the names(s) now?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is hardly anything new. From http://www.archicompostela.org/Peregrinos/Inglés/La%20Compostela%20.htm

"the pilgrim credential can exclusively be drawn up by the Church through its institutions – that is to say, Bishopric, Parish, Confraternity, etc. or institutions authorized by the Church. This is the only way to obtain the “Compostela” in the S.A.M.I. Cathedral of St. James (Jornadas sobre el Año Santo: noviembre 1993)"

They're just tightening up on this.

xm said:
Remember that credenciales are no longer free

new one on me. What's your source for this?

nico500 said:
What the Church is saying now is that the credential (which is the proof that you walked enough to get the Compostela) will no be issued only by them, because they want to provide enough information to those pilgrims that are upset when they don't get the Compostela for not being Catholic.

that's not what it says at all. The Church specifically does _not_ demand that pilgrims be Catholic, or even Christian.

sillydoll said:
If pilgrims start in other countries - Italy, France, Holland, Belguim etc., the authorities can't really dictate which credential they use from home.

there's nothing to stop them sending stocks of credenciales to the Church and/or approved institutions in other countries - though it might well be easier to just let people use the locally produced credenciales ;-)

Since 1998 the RC Church in France has issued a créanciale which French pilgrims can obtain from their parish/diocese http://www.cef.fr/catho/culture/tourisme/stjacques.php
This is not the same as the carnet de pèlerin issued by the Jacobean associations and various other bodies.
You have a short chat with the priest on the spiritual nature of pilgrimage, but there's no requirement for you to be a Catholic, or a Christian.

Perhaps we're getting back to the good old days, when the few people who came from outside Spain picked up their credencial at Roncesvalles and the pilgrim office looked askance at any other document.

Hello Peter,

xm wrote: Remember that credenciales are no longer free
new one on me. What's your source for this?

First hand research: for the past three-four years I've been having to pay for my credenciales, at:

1. the Oficina del peregrino in Santiago (no chat there): 2 euros
2. the Church of Santiago, in Jaca (sans chat): 1 euro
3. the albergue at SJPDP, last summer: 3 euros. This last one, to be precise, was the "carnet de pelerin de Saint-Jacques" (zero chat there), to which you refered to.

there's nothing to stop them sending stocks of credenciales to the Church and/or approved institutions in other countries

I concur. Of course, at a price.

Perhaps we're getting back to the good old days, when the few people who came from outside Spain picked up their credencial at Roncesvalles...

Hmm...I wish...But I doubt it. Those " goold old days" seem to have come and gone for the Church in Spain, which through the centuries has gradually lost it's immense sphere of power and influence, not only in Iberia, but in many other parts of the globe. Many churches/chapels throughout the Caminos have closed down, or are opened only certain days/hours, because of lack of parishioners, for a myriad of reasons. Priests, along the routes, have two-three churches to attend to, religious vocations have been dropping for a long time. Diocesan museums charge, some times steeply, like at the cathedral of El Salvador, Camino Primitivo, Oviedo. It's a sign of the times which I interpret as the bank account not being as full as in olden times, what we took for granted before is no more.

What Don Jenaro seems to be doing in this reorganization, which rationale, frankly, I do not understand, makes sense to me only from the stand point of tapping into a new source of revenues, curtailing the influence that Jacobean asociaciones and other entities, now have.

However, it's not as simple as it looks. To add to the complexities, the Church is not the only interest group with a stake on the Caminos, now widening the picture beyond the credenciales. As you know, there are many towns, cities, etc., as well as plenty of businesses, that emerged and cater to the needs and well-being of pilgrims. And rightfully so, I may add. Then, there are the asociaciones in Spain and world-wide, with their own dynamics

In the end, it all seems down to me to boil down to Machado's line, "poderoso caballero es Don Dinero."

I, for one, just like to hit the Road, turn into my own version of a "transient" of the Caminos, where on the one hand I have an awareness of the above. But, on the other, and more than anything, I lose myself, phisically and when far away, in the spirit of the Caminos.

xm 8)

Perhaps this has less to do with money, and more to do with bringing the Camino back under the auspices of the Church, and making it a 'Christian' pilgrimage again, rather than a 'cheap holiday'.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Trudy,

I've never felt that my Caminos have been a "cheap holiday," far from it. There's too much love and respect for them to vulgarize them in any way(s). Were it not for that love, it would be cheaper to go on a pilgrimage closer to home. Much cheaper. Also, the Camino has a very interesting history, even prior to it being a "Christian" pilgrimage.

Beat :arrow:

xm 8)

Hi xm

Certainly wasn't implying that either you or anyone else on this list was using the Camino as a cheap holiday. But it does happen.

While I'm not a practising Catholic, or anything else for that matter, I walked for spiritual reasons and, if I make it to Santiago this year, will certainly want my compostela. The Camino has been the most fantastic experience of my life, and I would hate to see others deprived of that experience.

My comment was just an observation of how, perhaps, the Catholic Church views today's Camino, and it's perceived need control who 'officially' walks it.

Trudy

I appreciate your mail, Trudy.

Re:
"...perhaps, the Catholic Church views today's Camino, and it's perceived need control who 'officially' walks it."

this is part of an e-mail I received from a pilgrim brother:

-"Our opinion in Spain about is the next:" The credential was born from the associations, from Elias Valiña, in Jaca, (1987), just to open the albergues to the pilgrims. Nothing about with the Cathedral, nor the Compostela. It was not matter."

xm 8)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I appreciate your mail, Trudy.

Re:
"...perhaps, the Catholic Church views today's Camino, and it's perceived need control who 'officially' walks it."

this is part of an e-mail I received from a pilgrim brother:

-"Our opinion in Spain about is the next:" The credential was born from the associations, from Elias Valiña, in Jaca, (1987), just to open the albergues to the pilgrims. Nothing about with the Cathedral, nor the Compostela. It was not matter."

xm 8)

Ook! I hope I'm in the right London... :?

Anyway, this isn't going to happen until 2009. Is it a definite alteration to the Compostela 'rules' or just a proposal?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Peter Robins said:
This is hardly anything new. From http://www.archicompostela.org/Peregrinos/Inglés/La%20Compostela%20.htm

"the pilgrim credential can exclusively be drawn up by the Church through its institutions – that is to say, Bishopric, Parish, Confraternity, etc. or institutions authorized by the Church. This is the only way to obtain the “Compostela” in the S.A.M.I. Cathedral of St. James (Jornadas sobre el Año Santo: noviembre 1993)"

and I see the Spanish version http://www.archicompostela.org/peregrin ... ostela.htm has been further updated:

AVISO
A partir del año 2009 solo se admitirá para la obtención de la Compostela a quienes traigan este modelo oficial.
Razones:
Que los peregrinos lleven la información correcta en la Credencial.
Evitar la dispersión y la comercialización de las credenciales.
Hacer posible la orientación cristiana en el origen de la Peregrinación.

Note:
From 2009 only those carrying this official version will be able to obtain the Compostela.
Reasons:
So pilgrims have the correct information in their Credencial
Avoid the dispersal and commercialisation of credenciales
Make possible a Christian orientation at the start of the Pilgrimage

Check out post: "Credenciales background." There's an excerpt in whcih the Confraternity's former Chairman, Laurie Dennett, in a paper titled: "2000 Years of the Camino de Santiago: Where Did It Come From? Where Is It Going?, " gives brief antecedents of how credenciales and albergues came about, with only one mention of the Church as an institution. Best, xm 8)

Just a thought but if there should turn out to be two levels of credential – official and other – would this have any effect on accommodation along the way by defining those who pay and those who don’t or even how much you pay?

Michael
Remember where you came from, where you're going, and why you created the mess you got yourself into in the first place.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't think that'd be an issue. The only priorities I know of are there to ensure accommodation for pilgrims on foot, over large groups and cyclists.

Doubt they'd change that...

Hmm...I don't think so, but then who knows. I read in a forum that something like this had happened two years ago and nothing had come out of it. I wouldn't doubt it if behind the whole thing there are a lot of politics going on right this very minute as we read/write-no sources there, just an opinion. It's a wait and see situation. In the meantime, let's hit the Road, Jack, wish I'd be coming home no more no more no more...

Best,

xm 8)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Credenciales

If that is the case, the could have said that only official, authorised credenciales obtained in Sarria will qualify for a compostela. None of the confraternities - Spanish or other countries - would be concerned.

compostella and all

I am rather confused about this part. My parents walked the camino some years ago. They had their credential, which they kept as a lovely souvenir full of stamps, but I don't think they received a compostella. My father probably wouldn't be able to, as I'm sure he didn't cite "religious" reasons.
I am not religious either (although I am originally Catholic). We (my BF and I) are going for spiritual and cultural reasons.
It would be nice to get a certificate of having achieved the destination, but it is not essential. What is the difference between the compostella and the "other" certificate?
And most importantly, how do I go about getting one?
We are also continuing on to Fisterra and Muxia, if we have time. I have learned hear that they issue a certificate for that too...

As for the issue at hand, it just seems to me that as the Camino becomes popular, the involved parties (namely the church) are trying to squeez as much profit out of it as possible. Which is perfectly normal, but certainly not perfectly alright. :cry:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You raised good points klarita.
...spiritual and cultural reasons.

I believe (not sure) those r gounds to obtain a Compostela.

It would be nice to get a certificate of having achieved the destination, but it is not essential.
I agree with u on that one, it's not essential. It is a nice remembrance though, and perhaps as importantly, may be the last time u r among pilgrims as u wait to go to the Oficina del peregrino's second floor to "apply" for the Compostela. My first Compostela is the dearest to me.

What is the difference between the compostella and the "other" certificate?
Historically-wise, religious-via the Compostela u obtain plenary indulgences, which translates into spending less time in Purgatory, or pass it, collect them, and go straight to Heaven.

And most importantly, how do I go about getting one?
At the Oficina de peregrinos in Santiago. Ask around the cathedral once u get to Compostela.

...Fisterra and Muxia, if we have time. ...they issue a certificate for that too...
Called "Fisterrana" (or is it "Fisterrada?"), beautiful, in diff colors. Begonia, the hospitalera at Fisterra, a lovely person, dispenses them.

Best, xm 8)

Myself and 3 friends depart on 26th May to walk 180km of the Via De La Plata. We were going to obtain our Credenciales from the local Town Hall in our point of departure (Verin, Galicia) but have since found out that they have stopped issuing them (I believe due to lack of demand) and will now need to obtain an equivalent which the local Tourist Office has devised.

Anyone know if we we are likely to have any problems in obtaining shelter in the Albergues on route if the credencial isn't recognised or will the mark of the Tourist Office be sufficient to show that we are bonafide?

Might we encounter a similar problem at the Pilgrim's Office when presenting the Credenciales.

I'm going to contact the Tourist Office to check but in the meantime if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Might we encounter a similar problem at the Pilgrim's Office when presenting the Credenciales.
Interesting technical question. Does the Office only accept an official credencial with stamps on it to show you have walked a minimum of 100 km to Compostela, or can it be anything else, like stamped sheets of paper? In any case, u have to show proof.

xm 8)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Afterthought: the Oficina says that u need to have a credencial given out by the Church or an authorized institution, like an association. That takes care of the "interesting technical question!" Best, xm 8)

Instead of "beating around the bush" could someone with writing abilities in Spanish, Galician or Latin write to the Archibishop of Santiago asking for clarifications. :wink:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I could write in these languages I would give it a try...

:lol: Gotta have more than that...like interest, motivation, the notion that u may achieve something... Best, xm 8)

Just a follow on to my post regarding the credencial issued in Verin.

Camino now completed (what a fantastic experience!) and there were no problems encountered, either in the Albergues or at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago, with the credencial issued by the Verin Tourist Office. This was just a single sheet of "Concello de Verin" headed paper with space for personal details and stamps.

Thanks for the replies both on this and on the other threads I have asked questions on.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ulysse

Why not type it in English and run it through Babelfish.
It will probably make as much sense to them as there decisions do to us.

Michael

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.
- Rene Descartes

All this doesnt really surprise me, "The Church" (pretty much whichever chrisrian faith you follow) has always extracted what it can from the faithful. PLus ca change....

However as long as it is possible to still get a compostela surely things will be ok? I found when I got home...I looked at my compostela, I looked at my credencial and realised then that actually, for me, it was the credencial I had walked for. I am so much prouder of that record of my journey and i treasure it much more. I will of course frame my compostella but the credencial will have its own frame too.

If the Archdiocese of Santiago is in need of money perhaps they should try selling indulgences. No, wait! They tried that a while back, didn't they? ;-)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So, after trying to read through this, I'm a bit confused.

Do we need a letter from the Church to obtain a Compostela?
Can we get a letter from our local Catholic Church or do we need to do something in Spain?
Does anyone know the answer?

After reading through this long thread most of which dates from 2007 i'm a bit confused! What is happening with this? I've always received my credentials from the CSJ in England, they look a bit funny (compared to the spanish/french ones) but they've always been accepted.
It is 2009 now and I received a compostela just last week with my big yellow english credential without any comment in the pilgrim office. Have they given up on this idea of only the church issuing them or are the foreign associations credentials OK? :?

elzi said:
After reading through this long thread most of which dates from 2007 i'm a bit confused! What is happening with this? I've always received my credentials from the CSJ in England, they look a bit funny (compared to the spanish/french ones) but they've always been accepted.
It is 2009 now and I received a compostela just last week with my big yellow english credential without any comment in the pilgrim office. Have they given up on this idea of only the church issuing them or are the foreign associations credentials OK? :?

How hard is it to get a credential when we arrive in Spain? We are starting at Roncesvalles.
I thought you could get one at any albergue that you started at, is this true? If this is so(that it is simple and routine to get one at any albergue), why would anyone want to get one beforehand?
Should I consider getting one before leaving the USA?

I am confused as to which way is best.

Rita, we got ours when we registered at Roncevalles at the Pilgrim's Office (not at the Albergue).Anne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hermanita said:
How hard is it to get a credential when we arrive in Spain? We are starting at Roncesvalles.
I thought you could get one at any albergue that you started at, is this true? If this is so(that it is simple and routine to get one at any albergue), why would anyone want to get one beforehand?
Should I consider getting one before leaving the USA?

I am confused as to which way is best.

If you are keen to support the American Pilgrims on the Camino http://www.americanpilgrims.com/ then you could become a member and obtain a credential from them although as far as I can see you do not need to join to obtain one but that seems mean.
http://www.americanpilgrims.com/camino/ ... l_req.html
On their credential page it states: "PLEASE NOTE: The Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela has announced that, starting on January 1, 2009, they started accepting only credentials distributed by the Cathedral for the purpose of obtaining a compostela. However the Confraternity of Saint James reported in its Bulletin (March 2008, No 101, p 46) that the canon-in-charge of the Pilgrim's Office has informed them that this ruling will not apply to overseas associations and that these associations will be able to continue issuing their own credentials. In addition, the Pilgrims' Office has specifically approved the credential being distributed by American Pilgrims."

Of course you do not need to get one at home and most people will get theirs as they start their Camino.

Buen Camino
William

So when they say, "the Credential distributed by the Cathedral" are they saying you need to get your credential at Santiago at the Cathedral?

NO - you can either get a credencial before you arrive in Spain from the Amigos/Confraternity organisation in the your home country or collect a credencial when you arrive in Spain - available from albergues and some Cathedrals along the way.

The ONLY reason there has been a change is because a multitude of tour companies were printing their own credenciales and selling them as part of the tour price. There was evidence of tour operators prestamping credenciales with their own sellos or holding on to them and getting them stamped "on behalf" of the "pilgrims" wherever the bus stopped. Simlarly holidaymakers and hikers etc were simply making their own credenciales and using albergues along the routes

In an attempt to stop this the PIlgrims' Office in Santiago now only recognises one credencial which is available in Spain and all of the credenciales issued in the countries of origin of foriegn pilgrims.

I hope this helps.

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Rita,
To answer you specifically, you can get your credencial when you arrive at Roncesvalles, but not at the albergue. You will obtain it the pilgrim office there. They specifically issue credenciales. They will ask for your passport (for country of origin) and your means of travel - "a pie" on foot - take your money, give you your first stamp and send you off to the albergue, Mass or dinner, whichever comes first!

Do not worry about obtaining your credencial - this is only to prevent unscrupulous touregrinos from having some sort of a fabricated document and expecting to get a Compostela without having completed the proper requirements.
Buen Camino,

Deirdre said:
Rita,
To answer you specifically, you can get your credencial when you arrive at Roncesvalles, but not at the albergue. You will obtain it the pilgrim office there. They specifically issue credenciales. They will ask for your passport (for country of origin) and your means of travel - "a pie" on foot - take your money, give you your first stamp and send you off to the albergue, Mass or dinner, whichever comes first!

So how much must one pay for a credential? Is it a standard price whether we get it at home or at Roncesvalles?
Thanks for your responses this is all very helpful.
Rita

€60,-
Hi Rita,
This will sound ridiculous, but I honestly don't remember! I was so overwhelmed by the entire experience and thinking about so many things as it was my first night on the Camino and I had just gotten off the bus from Pamplona... but the number 8 euros seems to stick in my mind - that was for the albergue and the credencial... so possibly 6 for the albergue and 2 for the credencial? Perhaps someone who has been there more recently can answer more exactly. But it is usually 1 or 2 euros for your credencial, if my memory serves me correctly.
Buen Camino,

Yes, Deirdre is correct. They are either one or two Euros (varying by albergue). At the cathedral in Porto they were 50 cents. In any case, they wouldn't be more than 2Euros.

I am sorry to 'beat a dead horse,' as they say, but does this mean I shouldn't get a credencial at the pilgrim's office in SJPP and just wait until I get to Roncevalles?

Gracias.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can do either or at any other albergue along the way but if you want a record of your complete journey and you are starting at St Jean de Pied Port then get the credencial there and they will stamp it for you.

Re:

'Pilgrims that will rightfully want to have their compostelas will have to buy them from Church entities'.

No one told this to the nice priest who gave me a credencial for the Via de la Plata at the Cathedral in Seville this spring. He asked me about my motivations for the pilgrimage and when I wanted to start. He gave me a credencial without asking for a fee. When I did the Frances last summer, I picked up my credencial at the Aceuil des pelerins place in St. Jean. They didn't charge a fee for the credencial, but asked for a processing fee, which seemed fair as the place was run by volunteers and they did have to pay for the rent. They also had to pay for the very helpful photocopied info sheets they gave us (in addition to whatever the printing costs of the credencial might be). I do have to say that the St. Jean guys really made an effort and it was a pleasure to start in St. Jean. The amount of info that you get when you sign in at Roncesvalles is minimal.

It is interesting to read these comments. As you study the history of Christian pilgrimages, you will find that most of these thoughts are not unique or novel. I am a Christian and I hope that I am deeply spiritual; at least it is the prayer of my heart to be such. I walk the Camino because it calls to me. I suspect that it is similar for all other pilgrims. As a student of history and religion, I understand and appreciate the role of the Catholic Church. She can be a haggard image of corruption, just as She can be a glorious image of God. It centers on the focus of one's perspective; the Church is not the individual and the individual is not the Church. Individuals do terrible things in the name of the Church, but in time She eventually corrects the poor choice.

To walk the Camino is to begin a personal journey. That journey cannot be taken from you regardless of who issues a Compostela or who does not. If we can come to an understanding that the value of the Compostela is not demonstrated by a piece of paper or by what others think when they see that piece of paper, but it is the lessons learned, the change of our heart, and the peace that we share with the world as a result of having walked it, then is when we realize that we remain pilgrims and we still walk the Way. Let us learn to pray in secret and rejoice in His blessing rather than before man; read Matt 6:6. Forgive me for referring to scripture, but it is a companion that seldom far from my thoughts. Unfortunately, my actions fall so short that I can only try to take just one more step, and then another, and then another. Stay on the Camino; it is an eternal Way.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back