• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credencials for Distance Certificate - Any volunteers at Pilgrim's Office there for an answer?

Labhaoise111

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi!

I'm heading off on Sunday to finish the last 150km of the Frances, having previously walked from Roncesvalles in 2019.

I'm just wondering if I need to bring both of the old credencials to get the certificate showing the full distance, or if a photo would be sufficient?

*Editing to say I've only just realised the distance certificate and Compostela are different documents, so not as important, but would be good to know anyway.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi!

I'm heading off on Sunday to finish the last 150km of the Frances, having previously walked from Roncesvalles in 2019.

I'm just wondering if I need to bring both of the old credencials to get the certificate showing the full distance, or if a photo would be sufficient?

*Editing to say I've only just realised the distance certificate and Compostela are different documents, so not as important, but would be good to know anyway.

Thanks!
I would bring both

If you want the Compostela, the PO does not care where you started or when. The requirement for the Compostela is 2 stamps/day for the last 100 kms (if you walk; 200 if you ride on a bicycle) on any officially accepted Camino into Santiago.

If you want the Distance certificate, bring the old one too.

Greetings from a former volunteer in the PO...

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recommend bringing the original credencial. A photo may not suffice. No sense in going to all that trouble only to be denied. Put it in a ziplock bag for protection.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Ummm what's a Distance Certificate? I've only used my credencial (pilgrim passport) on my pilgrimages.
A distance certificate is an extra certificate that shows the total distance that you walked to Santiago that you can purchase at the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago when you get your Compostela.

Distance cert.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Can you get a distance cert for doing -say, Burgos to Ponferrada?

Can you get a distance cert for doing -say, Burgos to Ponferrada?
You can only obtain the distance certificate in Santiago.

Here's the information:

You can only obtain the distance certificate in Santiago.

Here's the information:

Yes, but does it also have to be between Sarria & Santiago? Or can it be anywhere on the route.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks everyone, bringing the old credencials as well. I have seen a post somewhere of someone saying you can email for one. But I'll just do it while I'm there to be sure.
🙂🌈

I have seen a post somewhere of someone saying you can email for one. But I'll just do it while I'm there to be sure.
The link to the Pilgrim's Office that I posted has the email address, but no instructions on what is required.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think that it´s just for those who walk or cycle to Santiago. Perhaps @t2andreo or another pilgrim office volunteer can give us the answer.
In my experience, since you are paying for the Distance Certificate, the start and ending points can be flexible. I have seen this done. But I do not know if there is a formal rule.

But I do know that the absolute rule for issuing a Compostela is that you must walk AT LEAST THE FINAL 100 KM INTO SANTIAGO (essentially Plaza Obradoiro in front of the Cathedral). This must be on a sanctioned/ approve route. Bicyclists must ride the final 200 km into Santiago.

In both cases, you should be able to prove your route of travel by obtaining at least TWO SELLOS PER DAY in your credencial.

Hope this helps,

Tom

In my experience, since you are paying for the Distance Certificate, the start and ending points can be flexible. I have seen this done. But I do not know if there is a formal rule.

But I do know that the absolute rule for issuing a Compostela is that you must walk AT LEAST THE FINAL 100 KM INTO SANTIAGO (essentially Plaza Obradoiro in front of the Cathedral). This must be on a sanctioned/ approve route. Bicyclists must ride the final 200 km into Santiago.

In both cases, you should be able to prove your route of travel by obtaining at least TWO SELLOS PER DAY in your credencial.

Hope this helps,

Tom
Thankyou Tom. Yes I have 2 official Compostelas from the past already. This time I’m only doing the central section of the CF, so I was wondering about a distance only certificate. If no, then I won’t waste time going through the effort or hassle of the lineup at pilgrim office.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thankyou all. At the Pilgrim House I was told it depends on the volunteer at the counter and what you request. I discovered the website for the pilgrims which says it doesn’t matter where for distance certificates. Either way, I’m satisfied. In Santiago today only and got my certificate for the distance! Head home tomorrow.

Yes they are in the same location - you have to pay (E3 I think) for this certificate. Cheers

The Pilgrims office has a website! I got my distance certificate desired. Heading home shortly. Thanks for trying to help. Buen Camino todos los peregrinos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.