• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential for Santiago- Finisterre return?

Janeh

My husband is planning on meeting me in Santiago after I have walked the Camino Frances. We are then going to walk together to Finesterre and back to Santiago. Is he eligible for a compostella and if so where does he get a credential from? I'm assuming at the same place one gets the compostella but not sure and would hate to get there to find that that isn't the case. Anyone know if he's eligible for one and where to find it? thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Janeh,

Santiago's Oficina del Peregrino does not acknowledge the Camino to/from Compostela/Fisterra elegible to receive a Compostela.

On the other hand he can get the credencial at this Oficina.

Upon completion of the Santiago/Fisterra Camino, he can get a "Fisterrana" at the albergue in Fisterra, ask for Bejo.

Buen Camino, peregrinos

xm

thanks for that xm. He isn't too bothered about getting one, just thought it might be nice if possible. Not to worry :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Fisterrana?

Can you just ask for a Fisterrana in the albergue? Do you have to show any stamps or credenciales? I mean is there any check - or are you just believed? I walked this last year and was not bothered about the certficate but am possibly going to do it again with others soon and they might like to have one.

Windy

The certificates are available at the albergue in Finisterre and the new Pilgrims' Office in Muxia - at both they checked my Credencial and stamped it before writing my name on the certificates and giving them to me. I asked them about this and they seem to be only interested in ensuring that there are sellos from Santiago.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Windeatt, you have to demonstrate you have walked to Fisterra to obtain the Fisterrana and the access to the albergue.

There's many pilgrims who have walked from SJPP to Santiago and then ... they have got a bus to Fisterra. So, they can not stay in the albergue.

The same in Muxia and in Corcubion.

If you walk, no problem to obtain the Fisterrana from Bejo, one of the nicest hospitaleras in the world!!

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

"If you walk, no problem to obtain the Fisterrana from Bejo, one of the nicest hospitaleras in the world!!"

I don't know if it was Bejo manning the albergue the day that I arrived in Finisterre but he wouldn't provide me with the Fisterrana, basically because I hadn't stayed in the albergue in Olveiroa and obtained a sello from there. My credencial showed that I had not only walked out to Finisterre but also the Camino Ingles from Coruna.

Although nice to look back at, obtaining a certificate was not my reason for completing my journey, so it's not the end of the world (excuse the pun). However, I found it a bit disappointing that my journey seems to have been considered less worthy because I had decided to spend my penultimate night in a modicum of luxury.

There were some German and Austrian peregrinos that were turned away from the albergue at Negreira a couple of nights earlier because it was full and they went back into town to obtain alternative accomodation. I only hope that they were not also prejudiced through no fault of their own other than walking a bit slower than others.

Note that the albergue in Finisterre does not open until 17:00. Most pilgrims arrived a lot earlier than that so there was a reasonable size queue at opening and the albergue was full by 18:00. This was in early May.

Buen Camino
Mig

Miguel

Welcome back - I hope all went well. I'm surprised at this because as you know I walked exactly the same route a month earlier and recieved the certificate both at Finisterre and Muxia. Strange.

John

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Miguel,

Did you walk from Santiago to Fisterra?

It's not necessary to sleep in Negreira to obtain the Stamp.
It's really interesting to enjoy Olveiroa. Puri is a incredible hospitalera. She cooks a good soup, or lentejas, sometimes even with wine! The only alternative is a bar.
The last option Cee or of course Corcubion, run by the Agacs.

In my opinion, the best to arrive to Fisterra is just the Camino, the carballos, the views, the valleys, the Monte Aro, the ... something impossible to describe. If you have walked, is difficult to imagine any problem in the albergue in Fisterra.

Many pilgrims arrive in Santiago and then, they take a bus to go to Fisterra. But, it's not the same. I prefer thousand of times to walk it. And not because the Fisterrana, nor to pass he night in the Albergue.

Bejo stays seven days a week in the albergue. Winter or summer. Xmas eve or New Year special dinner. She talks everyday with Muxia, Corcubion and Olveiroa. And she is special for thousand of pilgrims.

Why at 17:00? Why earlier?

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

I certainly did walk it - I've still got a swollen right ankle now, almost four weeks after finishing.

Based on your description (particularly the fact that Bejo is a she!), it wasn't Bejo registering people at the Albergue when I arrived. Maybe the guy was just having a bad day at the office. As you say Javier, it's not a certificate but the experiences on the journey that make it worthwhile.

As for 17:00, it is as good a time to open up as any. I justed want to provide a bit of information for JaneH and husband so that they can plan their day acccordingly.

Mig

And an up date on Olveiroa:

There is now a new Casa Rural with a restaurant. The accomodation is relatively expensive at 60 euros per double room but there is a good restaurant which provides a Menu of the Day for around 10 12 - euros.

The albergue is large, clean and popular. But because of the new restaurant the hosptialera - to whom I spoke - no longer provides home cooked evening meals as mentioned here and in various guide books.

However a good alternative might be the Bar on the main road 3 mins away which also provides food.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have just returned from the Camino Finisterre with a friend of mine, we walked it in 3 days (May 22 - 24, 2008), Santiago de C. - Negreira - Oliveiroa - Finisterre. We had no chance to stay in the albergues in Negreira and Oliveiroa, as they were overcrowded, we had no stamps from these albergues, and used services of hostels nearby. We obtained "sellos" there for our credentials, as well as in cafe-bars on our way. In Finisterre, we caught last two beds available in the albergue. There were no problems to obtain the "Fisterrana". And on May 24, we were lucky enough to see the sunset /the weather was rather miserable these days/.
Buen Caminho to all,
Olga

I'm afraid it's true. Puri doesn't cook any dinner actually. I've just been talking with Fisterra about right now.

What a pity. I suppose this albergue will never be the same than ever.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hi,

Just finished the Santiago to Finisterre walk. On arrival at Negreira there was a sign in the window that said no admittance to the albergue without a credencial.

We sat outside fo a while as one of our party had started at Santiago and didn´t have a credencial. Eventually it occurred to me to ask about a credencial and it turns out they provide them at the albergue. They have a special Santiago-Finisterre Credencial, it is available in the albergue at Negreira and is donativo. The hospitalera explained that it is only valid for the albergues on that route.

We all obtained a certificate at from finisterre at the albergue. We took 4 days to walk and stayed one night at a pivate albergue (stamped at the nearby bar) and we didn´t have any problems getting a certificate.

Also I think it´s worth having just as I thought it was much prettier than the compostela (lovely picture of a sunset on it!) but that´s just my opinion.

The albergues were very crowded on the way and we met a few people staying in hostals or even camping out. Saw a guy getting stamped in bars along the way. I hope they didn´t have any problems getting certificates as I think the main point is that you walked surely? :s

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I happened to be in Santiago recently with a friend who had recently completed the Camino del Norte. I had also met a young woman who was beginning in Santiago and going Fisterre-Muxía-Santiago. She attempted to obtain a credencial at the Pilgrim office and was told that they did not issue them there but that she would get it at the first albergue. My friend, who is very familiar with the Camino, told me that the typical ¨credencial¨is issued for pilgrims traveling TO Santiago. There is no credencial issued for pilgrims LEAVING Santiago. That is why there is a special one for going from Santiago to Fisterra or Muxía.
Buen Camino,

I walked from Santiago to Finisterre in October. Luckily there were no problems with accommodation in the albergues at that time. Negreira albergue can issue you with a credencial and, for fun, I got it stamped at every bar and albergue possible along the way. The Finisterre albergue opened at 3pm so I was able to get a Fisterrana there and still catch the afternoon bus back to Santiago.
My main reason for replying to this thread is to point out that there is an albergue in San Roque on the Camino just after Corcubion and about 8 km from Finisterre run by the Galician pilgrim's association. It is donativo, supplies dinner and is superb. I cannot recommend it highly enough! Stopping here allows you to arrive in Finisterre early the next morning.

My self and 2 friends are planning a short walk from Santiago to Finisterre and onto Muxia in late July. We are from Ireland.

Do you think they would accept the Irish Pilgrim Passport on this camino? Instead of the special finisterre one or the ordinary camino one.

Just to clarify do you need to stay in the Albergues to get the certificate in Finisterre or Muxia? Would those albergues stamp our passports even if we did not stay there by any chance?

Thanks in advance.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi

Great choice and the extension to Muxia is lovely.

Your Irish Pilgrim Record will be accepted at both Finisterre and Muxia. They simply want to know that you walked there rather than arrived by bus. So sellos collected along the way from all the usual sources are perfectly acceptable. The albergues were happy to stamp passports even for people not sleeping there. But this is a well used route these days and many places have sellos.

Buen Camino

John

Hi,

I'd need help for my friends; they are walking now.
They heard, that in Galicia no one can sleep on the floor in the albergues.

where could they sleep in Negreira, Olveiroa, Muxia and Fisterra, if the albergues are full?
thanks

kriszta

kriszta said:
Hi,

I'd need help for my friends; they are walking now.
They heard, that in Galicia no one can sleep on the floor in the albergues.

where could they sleep in Negreira, Olveiroa, Muxia and Fisterra, if the albergues are full?
thanks

kriszta

Hi,

In Galicia is not possible to sleep on the floor because albergues has to pay an insurance, and the cost of this insurance depends on the maximum number of pilgrims that can sleep in the albergue. Usually, is equal to the maximum number of beds.

If albergues are full you have to look for an hostal or similar. Or asking for a polideportivo, or ... if the situation is the same for many pilgrims the police use to know what to do.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back