• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential for Via Domitia

leannes walk

Longwalker
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, Le Puy route 2014, Via Domitia 2015,Camino Portugues 2016
I am wanting to walk the Via Domitia from Montgenevre (or Briancon) to Arles in May 2015 but am unable to find any information in regard to obtaining a Pilgrim Passport/Credential for this route. Also, I am having trouble finding a reasonable guide for this way. I am guessing the landscape must be quite varied and beautiful, while fairly solitary and as a sole traveller I am feeling a little despondent at the lack on information available. Does any one have any advice on obtaining the credential or guide book? Also on the abundance of gites, difficulty, number of pilgrims expected. Any advice would be appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, Leanne. I hiked the Via Domitia [GR 653 D] from Arles to Montgenevre in late May/June 2013. It was a solitary demanding hike through awesome scenery. Here is a link to the resources I used: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/arles-to-montgen%C3%A8vre-gr653d.19203/

One can acquire a credential here, on the Forum. Any officially recognised Credential to Santiago de Compostela is acceptable.

Bon Chemin,
Lovingkindness

ps if I find anything else of use I'll post again. :)

Last edited:
Hello Leannes, I too am thinking of walking from Montgenevre to Arles in May! I have the TopGuide for the route GR653D, which I intend to use. I bought mine at a bookshop in London – either Stamfords or Daunt's, I forget which – but you can probably find it on Amazon. However, on a couple of lesser-known routes in France last year I found the best information was listed at the major tourist offices on the route, in annual editions they sell for a few euro, with up-to-date accommodation info. It may not be the case on this route, but I'll certainly be making the Office de Tourisme my first port of call in Montgenevre

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I started out from Montgenèvre in mid-September hoping to walk as far as Montpellier. I too had the Topoguide plus a list of accommodation from the Association des Amis de St Jacques Provence-Alpes-Corse. I have to say that NOT ONE of the gîtes d'étape advertised as open all year was open (or answered their phone), and Chaîne d'Accueil organised by the Amis, which in theory offered accommodation to pilgrims NOT ONE answered their telephone or responded to messages. Thus every evening I had to come down off the path (which is not well marked everywhere btw) find a hotel or chambre d'hôte and a restaurant. In 8 days I'd spent well over half the month's budget and had to give up. So...you do need to be sure of accommodation, and you do need a lot of money. I was hugely disappointed.
I think that once one is past Arles there is pilgrim accommodation.
In the 8 days I didn't see any other soul, let alone a pilgrim, on the path.
I hope you have a better experience.

…for me, hiking the GR653 D was part of a longer journey. I was on my way to Jerusalem. When I set off from near Agen in 2013 I couldn’t budget or plan ahead because I didn’t have any money. I walked in the hope that each day I would earn enough to feed and shelter myself determining that if I didn’t succeed as a street musician I would offer to work in exchange for food and a bed.

I chose not to carry a telephone, camera, or other gadgets because I felt these would put me at risk on the streets. Also, I had a profound sense that it was essential I learn to engage with people face to face particularly as I would be passing through countries where I didn’t speak the language.

It took me 9 ½ months to reach Jerusalem and another 7 or so to get back to Amsterdam. Whatever money I earned each day I gave as a donation for food and shelter. Sometimes I earnt enough to pay for a room, others not.

As a pilgrim I have learnt and am still learning that hospitality in its pure sense is a gift given not a right or some how deserved. I walk in hope and with a profound sense of assurance that each day after hiking 20 or so kilometres I will eat and find somewhere inside to sleep.

With sincere regard,

Ultreia e Suseia.
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Hello Leanne, here are a couple of addresses to help you along the way. In both places I was offered assistance in finding somewhere to stay.

Cheers. LK

Montgenèvre:
Office de Tourisme. Route d’Italie. +33 4 92 21 52 52
Briançon: Paroisse Briançon Sainte Catherine. 17 Rue Alphand. +33 4 92 20 04 10

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am wanting to walk the Via Domitia from Montgenevre (or Briancon) to Arles in May 2015 but am unable to find any information in regard to obtaining a Pilgrim Passport/Credential for this route. Also, I am having trouble finding a reasonable guide for this way. I am guessing the landscape must be quite varied and beautiful, while fairly solitary and as a sole traveller I am feeling a little despondent at the lack on information available. Does any one have any advice on obtaining the credential or guide book? Also on the abundance of gites, difficulty, number of pilgrims expected. Any advice would be appreciated.
I did find a guide book to the GR563D from WWW.ffrandonnee.fr, Amis de San Jacques de Santiago de Compostella also has quite a bit of information.

The guide book to the GR563D from WWW.ffrandonnee.fr, Amis de San Jacques de Santiago de Compostella is the one I ordered from Amazon.fr. Unfortunately I will get it one day before I leave. J'espere!