• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential in someone elses name

• Thread starter Deleted member 73892
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 73892

Hola!
I read a thread recently concerning credentials and being allowed to commit your camino in someone elses name. It has a special spanish term as well.
I can't find the thread, so can anyone point me to the thread or give me advice on this. I would like my coming Camino to be for someone (living) and have their name on the Credential.
Many thanks. Keith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The pilgrim's name needs to be on the credencial. Albergues and the Pilgrim Office often check your passport against the credencial. The compostela must be issued in your name, but you can dedicate it to someone else who is deceased or physically unable to complete a camino. Their name is added vicarie pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that,
The pilgrim's name needs to be on the credencial. Albergues and the Pilgrim Office often check your passport against the credencial. The compostela must be issued in your name, but you can dedicate it to someone else who is deceased or physically unable to complete a camino. Their name is added vicare pro.
very helpful indeed.
Keith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have done it twice and found it helpful to bring a piece of paper with the words Vicarie Pro and the person's name in capital, printed letters so there is no misunderstanding or misspellings. I then put that on the pilgrim office counter with my credencial and passport. On the walk I use my credencial in my own name, and the compostela is made out to me with the Vicarie Pro and name added further down on the document.

Every pilgrim must present themselves with a valid credencial to obtain a Compostela. The ONLY alternative is to obtain YOUR Compostela, and request an “In Vicare Pro” dedication.

Catholic Church dogma provides that a living person can obtain graces and indulgences for either a deceased person, or a living person, whose age or physical condition is such that they will NEVER be able to do their own Camino. The “In Vicare Pro” statement says, in colloquial Latin “ in place of.” Vicare is the root word of vicarious.

It is simple: one live face + one properly completed credencial = one Compostela. Only the exception above is available.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have done it twice and found it helpful to bring a piece of paper with the words Vicarie Pro and the person's name in capital, printed letters so there is no misunderstanding or misspellings. I then put that on the pilgrim office counter with my credencial and passport. On the walk I use my credencial in my own name, and the compostela is made out to me with the Vicarie Pro and name added further down on the document.
Thank you, I will do just the same.
Keith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Every pilgrim must present themselves with a valid credencial to obtain a Compostela. The ONLY alternative is to obtain YOUR Compostela, and request an “In Vicare Pro” dedication.

Catholic Church dogma provides that a living person can obtain graces and indulgences for either a deceased person, or a living person, whose age or physical condition is such that they will NEVER be able to do their own Camino. The “In Vicare Pro” statement says, on colloquial Latin “ in place of.” Vicare is the root word of vicarious.

It is simple: one live face + one properly completed credencial = one Compostela. Only the exception above is available.

Hope this helps.
Excellent, thank you.
Keith

Hello !

I want to go to the Camino de Santiago in memory of two dead people - my father and my husband's mother. Can I enter two names in the column "In Vicare Pro ..."? Is it possible?
Thank you

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why not walk 2 caminos?
Depending on how much time you have, that would be the solution.
For example, if you have a month, you could walk the Primativo for your Dad and the Inggles for your MiL.

30 days is a great option, but ... When you have a short vacation, family worries, a limited Schengen visa ...
I have 14 days ((I wrote my question to the office of the pilgrims in Santiago. If they say no, I will leave the column "In Vicare Pro ..." blank - I cannot give preference to one of these very dear to me people!

I hope I'm not the only one with such a question - and they will meet me!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello !

I want to go to the Camino de Santiago in memory of two dead people - my father and my husband's mother. Can I enter two names in the column "In Vicare Pro ..."? Is it possible?
Thank you
No. Only one name. Trust me: I worked as a volunteer for 2 weeks in the Pilgrim's Office in SdC this May/June.

You can go (travel by train/bus) back to Sarria with a blank credential and do another +100 kms for another compostela. 5-6-7 more days on the Camino...

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and information, but I have 14 days and I will definitely go Primitivo (some of the stops are booked). I will ask a question in the office, but if not, the column will remain empty, and the people dear to me in my heart!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the tips and information, but I have 14 days and I will definitely go Primitivo (some of the stops are booked). I will ask a question in the office, but if not, the column will remain empty, and the people dear to me in my heart!
Hola Irina
I walked the Salvador last year, then took a bus from Oviedo to Lugo and completed the Primitvo from there. The bus and rail services are excellent and good value for money. You can plan a second route quite easily. But take two Credentials - mine were both stamped as from León, one was specifically for the del Salvador, the other for my overall Camino. This year I will be dedicating my Camino for the first time.
Buen Camino! K

“In Vicare Pro” dedication: I'm walking the Camino del Salvador first - can I dedicate my Salvadorana at the Catedral del San Salvador in Oviedo? I am then walking the Primitivo.
Buenas dias
Keith

What I did was the type out on nice paper the names of the persons (both living and passed away) on a nice clean sheet of paper and write a letter to St James. As I walked I stamped the envelope with sellos as many times as I could. And when I arrived in Santiago, I deposited the letter with the names of people at the relics of St James. Alternatively you could obtain an additional passport and stamp it along the way with the other person's name, but NOT use it to obtain a Compostela. Which as we read above is not possible to obtain for anyone other than one's self except via VP.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What I did was the type out on nice paper the names of the persons (both living and passed away) on a nice clean sheet of paper and write a letter to St James. As I walked I stamped the envelope with sellos as many times as I could. And when I arrived in Santiago, I deposited the letter with the names of people at the relics of St James. Alternatively you could obtain an additional passport and stamp it along the way with the other person's name, but NOT use it to obtain a Compostela. Which as we read above is not possible to obtain for anyone other than one's self except via VP.
Thanks for the advice Akula415, but that wasn't my question.
Do you know if it is possible to obtaain VP at the Catedral San Salvador in Oviedo, at the end of the San Salvador Camino?
Keith

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.