• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential question

BuenC_JamieG

Conscious Travel Coach
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portugal (2020)
Camino del Norte (2020)
Hi fellow peregrinos!

I'm going to walk the Camino del Norte for about 20 days and then I'll get on the Camino Primitivo to Santiago.
My question: Does the Compostela specify which route I walk? If so, should I bring 2 credentials that show each route I walked in case one day I finish the entire Northern route?

Any info would be appreciated.

Jamie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Compostela doesn't say which route you took. If you buy a Distancia the clerk will write in the point of origin, start date and the distance, from his crib sheet, of how far that is, not how far you may think you have walked.

Great, thank you for the reply! I'll probably use the same credential for both routes then to reduce weight :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used one credential for my combo Frances - Salvador - Norte - Finisterre Camino.

Hi fellow peregrinos!

I'm going to walk the Camino del Norte for about 20 days and then I'll get on the Camino Primitivo to Santiago.
My question: Does the Compostela specify which route I walk? If so, should I bring 2 credentials that show each route I walked in case one day I finish the entire Northern route?

Jamie
You could do that.

I’ve got a couple of end-to-end credentiales from the Frances and another from the Ingles. I’ve then got a small pile of ‘partials’ which haven’t as yet terminated in Santiago.

Whilst I’m done with collecting compostelle* I do, when circumstances permit, continue collecting sequential sellos on old credenciales; one of which is now 3.5 credenciales taped together.

* I’m not sure that’s the correct plural, but in any case I’ve only got a finite number of sins which need absolving.

"I’m not sure that’s the correct plural," Spanish plurals are very similar to English. They mainly add 's', so 'compostelas' [one l]. Simply google to find the exceptions. If it were Italian the plural might be 'compostele'.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For the purposes of issuing a Compostela, the Pilgrim Office staff will only worry about which route you completed the final 100 km on. You can carry separate credencials if you wish. But, one is enough, as long as the final 100 km is continuous, chronological, and documented with TWO sellos per day.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Hi fellow peregrinos!

Jamie
In 2018 on my second Camino I walked from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona when I fell ill and had to return to the UK. Three weeks later I was able to go out to Sarria and walk into Santiago. I received my Compostella but also a Certificate of Distance Walked. They took my credential and recorded both parts of the walk and calculated the distance I had actually walked and recorded this as well. I am hoping to walk from Santander on del Norte and then cross over to the Primitivo later this year so will hope to repeat the process again. Hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Vince
Hi fellow peregrinos!

Jamie

"I’m not sure that’s the correct plural," Spanish plurals are very similar to English. They mainly add 's', so 'compostelas' [one l]. Simply google to find the exceptions. If it were Italian the plural might be 'compostele'.
If it’s Latin it would be Compostelae

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I forgot to mention that the last 100 Km, minimum qualifying distance for a Compostela for walking pilgrims, becomes the 200 final km for bicycle riders.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Yes, I think that’s what I was aiming for. Thanks.

I believe that, although of Latin derivation (campo stellae - field of stars?) compostella is Galician, so compostellas is perhaps correct in its modern state?
'Compostella' (two ls) is Italian. In Galician it's 'compostela' (one l), the same as in Spanish (according to Google Translate). The popular derivation is from 'campus stellae' (field of the star – singular. Field of stars would be campus stellarum) The derivation of 'compostela' is disputed:
According to legend, Compostela derives from the Latin Campus Stellae (i.e., "field of the star"); it seems unlikely, however, that this phrase could have yielded the modern Compostela under normal evolution from Latin to Medieval Galician. Other etymologies derive the name from Latin compositum, local Vulgar Latin Composita Tella, meaning "burial ground", or simply from Latin compositella, meaning "the well-composed one". Other sites in Galicia share this toponym, akin to Compostilla in the province of León. (Wiki)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I think that’s what I was aiming for. Thanks.

I believe that, although of Latin derivation (campo stellae - field of stars?) compostella is Galician, so compostellas is perhaps correct in its modern state?
I think there is only one "l", as it doesn't seem to be palatalized.

For the purposes of issuing a Compostela, the Pilgrim Office staff will only worry about which route you completed the final 100 km on. You can carry separate credencials if you wish. But, one is enough, as long as the final 100 km is continuous, chronological, and documented with TWO sellos per day.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Hey Tom. To get a compestela must it be on an official credential. Or can you use your own paper with the required 2 stamps last 100k thanks, asking fir a friend

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It must be in an approved credential. A few years back, they were having pilgrims doing some very creative forms of collecting sellos on paper. I recall that personal diaries and Moleskin notebooks were favored.

The folks in charge adopted a rule that limits documenting your pilgrimage with sellos to only those versions of the credencial booklet that has been approved by the clerics and managers in charge of this whole process. I don’t remember exactly when the rule went into effect, but I recall it was about 3-4 years ago.

A lot of people add blank paper, cut to fit, and fan-fold it - to create space for extra sellos. You attach this “extra page” to the approved credencial using tape.

Hope this helps.

Tom

It must be in an approved credential. A few years back, they were having pilgrims doing some very creative forms of collecting sellos on paper. I recall that personal diaries and Moleskin notebooks were favored.

The folks in charge adopted a rule that limits documenting your pilgrimage with sellos to only those versions of the credencial booklet that has been approved by the clerics and managers in charge of this whole process. I don’t remember exactly when the rule went into effect, but I recall it was about 3-4 years ago.

If you want to collect stamps in your journaling notebook you can do that in addition to the stamps in your credential.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.