• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential/stamp questions

ratyoke

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (April 2016)
The end of my camino is finally in sight. I'll be arriving in Ourense tomorrow.

I have heard people say they will be getting 2 stamps a day in their credencial during the last 100 km. Is this really necessary?

Once I arrive in Santiago, do I need to get a stamp before going to the Pilgrim's Office? Or do they give the final stamp?

Thank you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello; to be safe, get the two per day. Two weeks ago when getting our 3rd Compostela, the woman next to my wife at the Pilgrim's office was having her Pilgrim Passport called into question because she did not have enough stamps. We got ours and left, so don't know what happened. They gave my passport just an overview, but I had plenty of stamps. The Pilgrim's office will give you a stamp. 2x now we did not get a stamp in Santiago before getting our compostela, so I don't think that is a problem.

It's not difficult to get two stamps a day on the final 100km. Every bar, cafe and church will have one to give you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The closer you start to Santiago, the more they look for the two stamps a day. But there is really no problem to get a second stamp during the day in Galicia.
Buen Camino, SY

I started in Pamplona and at 2 per day and bicycling I had barely enough spaces for my stamps. A walker who spend more days on the Camino would have more than filled their passport. Therefore, I can't see where it is necessary to get 2 stamps a day for the all but the last 200 km and a little more, if you have room. Still the stamps are a neat part of the Camino.

There is always the possibility to get a second Credencial 'en route' if one runs out of space for stamps.
Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This might sound stupid and has been asked a thousand times , but why the last 100 kilometres? If I have walked 300 kilometres and stopped surely some official recognition should happen? I know history dictates the last 100 but a small token gesture would be nice.

Hola Mick Mac

The Cathedral of Santiago issues the traditional Compostela certificate which is only given to pilgrims who arrive in Santiago - walking 300kms to León or Burgos for example won't qualify.

Some 20 years ago the Cathedral introduced the 100 kms rule in an effort to control the number of pilgrims they have to deal with.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Johnnie

I did not know the 2 stamps a day rule this past May. And I was also concerned about not having enough space in the credencial. So not only did I not get two stamps a day, I declined the offer of stamps on a number of occasions. But I had a very relaxed volunteer in the pilgrims' office and there were no problems.

Ok thanks for the replies. I have plenty of space so 2 stamps a day it is.

One more question... I started in Sevilla, filled one credencial and started on a second credencial a few days ago. Does only the last 100km matter? I mean they won't even need to see my first credencial from Sevilla?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ok thanks for the replies. I have plenty of space so 2 stamps a day it is.

One more question... I started in Sevilla, filled one credencial and started on a second credencial a few days ago. Does only the last 100km matter? I mean they won't even need to see my first credencial from Sevilla?
Should you wish to obtain the certificate of distance as well as a compostela, you will need to demonstrate where you started and the sections of the route that you walked. For that you would need all the credentials that you used.

My four children and I got our Compostelas today. We went from Sevilla and got one stamp a day. One space simply had name and date because there was no stamp (detour to Valdeperdices after Zamora). No questions were asked. Five different volunteers. If you start in Sevilla there's clearly no need to worry!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello; to be safe, get the two per day. Two weeks ago when getting our 3rd Compostela, the woman next to my wife at the Pilgrim's office was having her Pilgrim Passport called into question because she did not have enough stamps. We got ours and left, so don't know what happened. They gave my passport just an overview, but I had plenty of stamps. The Pilgrim's office will give you a stamp. 2x now we did not get a stamp in Santiago before getting our compostela, so I don't think that is a problem.

Hello,

Small question, In each Albergue / cafe, do you have to show your own national passport and you Pilgrim Passport ? i would like to put my national passport at the bottom of my rucksack, safe and out of the harms way ?

Thanks

Joe.

Hi, Joe,
You will need to show the national passport when checking into an albergue--not always but usually.
Yes. The first credential will be a great keepsake, but not necessary for the Compostela.
But they will want to see it to know where you have started from--to announce during the pilgrim's mass and for statistics.
My four children and I got our Compostelas today.
This post made my day. Good on you to the whole @Kiwi-family--way to go! :)

i would like to put my national passport at the bottom of my rucksack, safe and out of the harms way ?
You will need it sometimes and not at other times. In any case, the bottom of your rucksack is not the safest place for it, as you will occasionally want to take your rucksack off! Better to carry it in a secure place on your person (for example in a hidden pouch that you always wear, and even keep safe while you are in the shower).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
do you have to show your own national passport and you Pilgrim Passport ?
Local and national law require tracking passports, and Spain is becoming more rigorous about it. Some albergues now even have magnetic readers for passports. A copy of the photo page of a passport once was sufficient, but more places now require the actual passport. If security concerns increase, you should expect to show your passport more. It has become part of the security world.

This might sound stupid and has been asked a thousand times , but why the last 100 kilometres? If I have walked 300 kilometres and stopped surely some official recognition should happen? I know history dictates the last 100 but a small token gesture would be nice.

Because it is a pilgrimage TO a certain place (the tomb of the apostle in the cathedral of Santiago) not a long distance walk somewhere on a marked route.
Buen Camino, SY

If your passport fills up with stamps you can get a new passport at the cathedral in Orense.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I got my compostela today without any problem and am confused. Do you need to be walking for religious reasons to get a distance certificate?

I didn't walk for religious reasons, I'm not Christian and didn't want the compostela, but I was given one anyway when I said I wanted the distance certificate.

I got my compostela today without any problem and am confused. Do you need to be walking for religious reasons to get a distance certificate?

No, absolutely not.

We carried photocopies of our national passports which were usually sufficient when checking in to an albergue. On a couple of occasions we had to show the real thing. Other places just took into off the front of the credential. Everyone seems to have their own rules!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back