• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential stamps when walking from home

Hiking Fran

Solvitur Ambulando
Time of past OR future Camino
Continuing along the Camino del Norte 07/23
Hello,

I have started walking to Rome from home (The Netherlands) and I am wondering about getting credential stamps. I haven't purchased one yet but thought of getting the Via Francigena passport given that I am walking to Rome. Do people get stamps along the way from home or wait until they are on an actual Pilgrim Route. I will walk towards Germany and enter an official route from there.

Kindest,
Fran

Frances Antonia - Ambassador for One Girl

www.slowerfamilytravels.com

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello,

I have started walking to Rome from home (The Netherlands) and I am wondering about getting credential stamps. I haven't purchased one yet but thought of getting the Via Francigena passport given that I am walking to Rome. Do people get stamps along the way from home or wait until they are on an actual Pilgrim Route. I will walk towards Germany and enter an official route from there.

Kindest,
Fran

The credential marks your intention and journey as a pilgrim, so could be started where you begin walking, if you wanted. It probably has less practical use off an 'official' route but can make a good record of places visited and enjoyable connections with local people in shops and churches as they search out long lost and little used rubber stamps.

Your credencial will be closely inspected in Santiago they are always very curious from where you stared but their greatest interest is the last 100k. I always get my credentials stamped e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e I enjoyed myself along the camino. Hostels and other lodgings of course, but also restaurants, chapels and churches, monasteries, museums, coffee bars, tourist info offices who helped me, from my walk Le Puy and Vezelay, I have stamps from boulangeries and fromageries, a police station in Batalha on my modified Lisboa Camino, I have (shhhh) a stamp from an immigration entry officer in Barcelona who saw the shell on my hat-"I've just returned from Santiago" said he and he gave me a passport tamp on my credencial-something not to be done. I use my credential as a better photo album with places dates and experiences which I enjoyed. My first from Pamplona to SdC framed and on my library wall. One last anecdote, here in Jerusalem we have the Armenian Cathedral of Saint James built on the site where St James was beheaded. Despite the Spanish, they possess the head of our Saint. I always staryt a visit there, their head priest has walked to Santiago knows me well, and always stamps my credential before I set off. So yes! It's your credential your memories, stamp it everywhere.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The traditional way is to stop at the Catholic parishes & monasteries etc along the road, and get your credencial stamped there.

Another good rule of thumb though is get the stamp of wherever you end up sleeping.

I go with Scruffy1 and JabbaPapa on this. I had mine stamped at every place I stayed-- in France & Spain (I don't know Italy), hotels, pensions, & bars, have stamps for legal purposes, and at every church I stopped at-- with two exceptions (a scurvy priest in Castrojeriz in 2002, and a horrid cleric at the diocesan office in Jaca), clergy were very pleased to do so-- indeed, on more than one occasion, a bottle of cognac was pulled from a cupboard to give me a cheering dram. The police are also ready to stamp your credential and I think appreciated meeting pilgrims.

One other suggestion is that, if you are a churchgoer, to have your bishop or rector put the diocesan or parish stamp on your credential as your first sello. I have sellos from the Bishop for the Canadian Forces as well as from the rector of my home church. After all, your pilgrimage begins at your front door and the official pilgrimage route is the route the official pilgrim takes.

Not only does the pilgrimage office have its own requirements, but as others have said, they are a wonderful momento. And, as a police acquaintance tells me, a great alibi. If you're ever asked where you were on May 5, you just refer to your credential and are able to tell them you were in Belorado, and boy did they snore.

Hello,

Kindest,
Fran

I started from the Netherlands too in 2016, but went towards Santiago so purchased the pilgrim passport for that destination. In your case I would get the Via Francigena passport(s), given that Rome is your goal. I had no trouble finding stamps: albergues, hotels (just ask in the lobby), police stations, bars, city halls, everything goes. Your passport will end up as a nice visual souvenir. Goede reis!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have also walked to Rome from The Netherlands in 2013 and got some stamps along the way. The first part (until Switzerland) I wasn't trying to get many stamps, I just kind of forgot to ask..
I walked through Luxembourg and France. You can get stamps in The Netherlands, I got a great ones in the cathedrals in Sittard, Roermond and Venlo. The one you can get in Sittard has crossed keys, the same sign you find everywhere in Rome. To be honest, my Rome passport doesn't look as special as the Santiago one, because I got a lot more "just letters" stamps and not as many.
I became a member of the Vereniging Pelgrimswegen naar Rome and got a credential from them.
Goede weg!

I have an extra credential where I get stamps from churches in towns that I am visiting in Germany (just for fun). Amazing how many churches have them. If they are on any of the old routes, they should have a stamp. This includes along the Rhine, the old Via Regia, or any town with a cathedral, Mainz, Worms, Speyer, Fulda, Frankfurt, Cologne, etc. Imagine other countries would also have them.
When I begin my Caminos, it is nice to have the 1st stamp be from one of the churches in Frankfurt, as this was a large collection point for the medieval pilgrims.

IOne other suggestion is that, if you are a churchgoer, to have your bishop or rector put the diocesan or parish stamp on your credential as your first sello. I have sellos from the Bishop for the Canadian Forces as well as from the rector of my home church. After all, your pilgrimage begins at your front door and the official pilgrimage route is the route the official pilgrim takes.

If you're a churchgoer, and you're walking from home, your pilgrimage starts at the altar of your parish church, as it always did traditionally.

But yes, I agree.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The credential marks your intention and journey as a pilgrim, so could be started where you begin walking, if you wanted. It probably has less practical use off an 'official' route but can make a good record of places visited and enjoyable connections with local people in shops and churches as they search out long lost and little used rubber stamps.

Howdy! Thank you for your response. Agree it certainly will be a special record for me and a nice way to connect and talk camino with locals. I've ordered a couple of credentials.

Your credencial will be closely inspected in Santiago they are always very curious from where you stared but their greatest interest is the last 100k. I always get my credentials stamped e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e I enjoyed myself along the camino. Hostels and other lodgings of course, but also restaurants, chapels and churches, monasteries, museums, coffee bars, tourist info offices who helped me, from my walk Le Puy and Vezelay, I have stamps from boulangeries and fromageries, a police station in Batalha on my modified Lisboa Camino, I have (shhhh) a stamp from an immigration entry officer in Barcelona who saw the shell on my hat-"I've just returned from Santiago" said he and he gave me a passport tamp on my credencial-something not to be done. I use my credential as a better photo album with places dates and experiences which I enjoyed. My first from Pamplona to SdC framed and on my library wall. One last anecdote, here in Jerusalem we have the Armenian Cathedral of Saint James built on the site where St James was beheaded. Despite the Spanish, they possess the head of our Saint. I always staryt a visit there, their head priest has walked to Santiago knows me well, and always stamps my credential before I set off. So yes! It's your credential your memories, stamp it everywhere.

Morning! Oh I enjoyed reading this, thank you for sharing. Ha ha the (shhh) stamp that's certainly a memorable story. Yes I have decided that I will definitely be getting stamps ... way stamps all adding up to a log of a long and wonderful journey.

The traditional way is to stop at the Catholic parishes & monasteries etc along the road, and get your credencial stamped there.

Another good rule of thumb though is get the stamp of wherever you end up sleeping.

Thanks! I was unsure if churches stamped off 'official' routes and am glad that it appears that I can get stamps along the way. Even just for me as a record of my journey.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I go with Scruffy1 and JabbaPapa on this. I had mine stamped at every place I stayed-- in France & Spain (I don't know Italy), hotels, pensions, & bars, have stamps for legal purposes, and at every church I stopped at-- with two exceptions (a scurvy priest in Castrojeriz in 2002, and a horrid cleric at the diocesan office in Jaca), clergy were very pleased to do so-- indeed, on more than one occasion, a bottle of cognac was pulled from a cupboard to give me a cheering dram. The police are also ready to stamp your credential and I think appreciated meeting pilgrims.

One other suggestion is that, if you are a churchgoer, to have your bishop or rector put the diocesan or parish stamp on your credential as your first sello. I have sellos from the Bishop for the Canadian Forces as well as from the rector of my home church. After all, your pilgrimage begins at your front door and the official pilgrimage route is the route the official pilgrim takes.

Not only does the pilgrimage office have its own requirements, but as others have said, they are a wonderful momento. And, as a police acquaintance tells me, a great alibi. If you're ever asked where you were on May 5, you just refer to your credential and are able to tell them you were in Belorado, and boy did they snore.

Thank you, great advice AND great stories! isn't Beldorado great, gorgeous village ... although I reckon they snore louder in Villafranca. You've motivated me, a credential has been ordered!

I started from the Netherlands too in 2016, but went towards Santiago so purchased the pilgrim passport for that destination. In your case I would get the Via Francigena passport(s), given that Rome is your goal. I had no trouble finding stamps: albergues, hotels (just ask in the lobby), police stations, bars, city halls, everything goes. Your passport will end up as a nice visual souvenir. Goede reis!

Thank you Purky and I just read your Grand Camino Theory of Everything. Wow! What a beautiful and thought provoking piece. What a gift to share that, I look forward to revisiting it. Congratulations on your long walk. I met a few pilgrims along the Frances that had started in The Netherlands and it was awe inspiring. And yes I have purchased the passport(s) and now I feel confident in knowing I can get stamps everywhere. Goede dag!

I have also walked to Rome from The Netherlands in 2013 and got some stamps along the way. The first part (until Switzerland) I wasn't trying to get many stamps, I just kind of forgot to ask..
I walked through Luxembourg and France. You can get stamps in The Netherlands, I got a great ones in the cathedrals in Sittard, Roermond and Venlo. The one you can get in Sittard has crossed keys, the same sign you find everywhere in Rome. To be honest, my Rome passport doesn't look as special as the Santiago one, because I got a lot more "just letters" stamps and not as many.
I became a member of the Vereniging Pelgrimswegen naar Rome and got a credential from them.
Goede weg!

How brilliant Celine that you have walked home to Rome, I think I have so many questions for you! And also BRILLIANT to know that I'm not the only crazy one out there.

Thank you for responding. I am definitely going to get a stamp a day (from wherever it is possible) for my own journey record.

Is there a link or blog of your walk? I'd love to read more.

Fijne Dag!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have an extra credential where I get stamps from churches in towns that I am visiting in Germany (just for fun). Amazing how many churches have them. If they are on any of the old routes, they should have a stamp. This includes along the Rhine, the old Via Regia, or any town with a cathedral, Mainz, Worms, Speyer, Fulda, Frankfurt, Cologne, etc. Imagine other countries would also have them.
When I begin my Caminos, it is nice to have the 1st stamp be from one of the churches in Frankfurt, as this was a large collection point for the medieval pilgrims.

Thanks! I am really looking forward to walking in Germany with it's natural beauty and am sure I'll pass along some of the old routes. I love we all have camino our own traditions ... thank you for sharing yours.

Last edited:
How brilliant Celine that you have walked home to Rome, I think I have so many questions for you! Brilliant to know that I'm not the only crazy one out there.

Thank you for responding. I am definitely going to get a stamp a day (from wherever it is possible) for my own journey record.

Is there a link or blog of your walk? I'd love to read more.

Fijne Dag!

I don't think that walking from home to a place far away is crazy. Staying home and missing out on a great adventure is more crazy in my opinion.
If you have any questions, you can always ask!
The blog I kept on the way is: celineroesthuis.waarbenjij.nu
It's a very old blog in Dutch.

We have in the past, when walking from home, gone to a local church as well as a pharmacy to get stamps. Both places were very willing to do this despite not being on a Camino route. It gave us a record of the places where we had stopped along the way. Happy travels, it sounds like you have a long adventure ahead!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Er, he's walking to R-O-M-E not SdC ;) I don't think he needs to worry about the 100km rule.

I don't think that walking from home to a place far away is crazy. Staying home and missing out on a great adventure is more crazy in my opinion.
If you have any questions, you can always ask!
The blog I kept on the way is: celineroesthuis.waarbenjij.nu
It's a very old blog in Dutch.

Ha ha couldn’t agree more ... in fact I’d end up crazy without an adventure playing out!

I guess first off I’m interested in your route. Particularly through Germany and was it well marked? I am currently doing day trips to get into Germany (towards Bonn). Taking the train home after a long day’s walk and starting again next time where I left off by taking the train back. I will do longer hikes as I get further away.

I’d love to read your blog maybe I can with google translate.

Thanks again!
Fran

We have in the past, when walking from home, gone to a local church as well as a pharmacy to get stamps. Both places were very willing to do this despite not being on a Camino route. It gave us a record of the places where we had stopped along the way. Happy travels, it sounds like you have a long adventure ahead!

This is great and yes a pharmacy is also a good option, thanks! I’m definitely convinced I should get my journey stamped (for me). I do have a long adventure ... now I hope my credentials arrive before I go back for stage two ;).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Er, he's walking to R-O-M-E not SdC ;) I don't think he needs to worry about the 100km rule.
Exactly....to ROME! They really don’t bother much with your credencial in Rome, but the final 100k might be checked.

i walked in 2015 from Amsterdam to Santiago, also asked stamps from places that I slept in the Netherlands and churches I passed. Sometimes there was no stamp, then I asked people to write the name of the place/church with there signature. They became really beautiful marks on my credentials. :)

According to this -- http://www.pellegriniaroma.org/guid...tionis-pellegrinaggio-francigena-roma-pietro/ -- the conditions for obtaining the Testimonium ad Limina Petri in Rome are extremely similar to the conditions for the Compostela in Santiago -- at least 100K on foot and 200K by bike, and 2 stamps/day onto your Credenziale over that final section.

Though there's currently no rule about official Credenziales only.

Here's a link to a pdf copy of the Italian Credenziale BTW -- http://turismo.ufficicei.glauco.it/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2016/12/Credenziale22-6-2010_ALP.pdf ; you really couldn't do this for a Credencial to Santiago (the financial contribution for an officially recognised one is there to finance the Pilgrim's Office & etc.), but to Rome, maybe Fran could just get down to a print shop and get them to crank out a few copies for herself on good, solid paper stock ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good news, that's a relief.
I was a bit concerned on where to get stamps outside Spain, especially in Italy and Switzerland.

According to this -- http://www.pellegriniaroma.org/guid...tionis-pellegrinaggio-francigena-roma-pietro/ -- the conditions for obtaining the Testimonium ad Limina Petri in Rome are extremely similar to the conditions for the Compostela in Santiago -- at least 100K on foot and 200K by bike, and 2 stamps/day onto your Credenziale over that final section.

Though there's currently no rule about official Credenziales only.

Here's a link to a pdf copy of the Italian Credenziale BTW -- http://turismo.ufficicei.glauco.it/wp-content/uploads/sites/24/2016/12/Credenziale22-6-2010_ALP.pdf ; you really couldn't do this for a Credencial to Santiago (the financial contribution for an officially recognised one is there to finance the Pilgrim's Office & etc.), but to Rome, maybe Fran could just get down to a print shop and get them to crank out a few copies for herself on good, solid paper stock ?
I stand corrected - thank you.

Ha ha couldn’t agree more ... in fact I’d end up crazy without an adventure playing out!

I guess first off I’m interested in your route. Particularly through Germany and was it well marked? I am currently doing day trips to get into Germany (towards Bonn). Taking the train home after a long day’s walk and starting again next time where I left off by taking the train back. I will do longer hikes as I get further away.

I’d love to read your blog maybe I can with google translate.

Thanks again!
Fran
Since I walked through France I don't know the route through Germany. But I spoke to many people who have walked through Germany and they where always very positive about this trail. Which pass will you take over the Alpes? In Italy I found it very easy to collect stamps, same goes for Switzerland. Pilgrims are rare there, but very welcome!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back