• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential Stamps

tpatnode

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
I am a genuine newbie to the Camino. I plan on starting the French Way in Ponferrada on April 29th. Where along the way to Santiago do I acquire the necessary stamps in my Credential to receive a Compostela in Santiago?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The most common place is the albergue/hostel/hotel you sleep in at night. If you stay in a hotel though they may not stamp unless you ask them too. Then during the day many bars churches and sometimes just a special spot along side the path.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Everywhere. Albergues (of course), restaurants, bars, fuel stations, churches, whatever. Just ask.

The important thing is that if you want a Compostela in SdC, you must get 2 stamps every day in the last 100 kms.
I have heard of this 2 stamp/day requirement, but it wasn't a problem when we finished the CF last summer. We got a single stamp each day, all the way, and it was not mentioned at the pilgrims office when we got our compostelas. Maybe this is an issue if you are doing a short camino starting from Sarria, but with stamps from across the country it wasn't. Also, a caution. Your credential is not all that big. We barely had room for all of the stamps for the CF in our credentials. Some people who go heavy on the stamps have filled their credential up and had to get a second credential or tape extra pages into theirs. Not a problem if you need to, but a minor hassle that can be avoided. Buen Camino!

On some of the less travelled caminos you can go to the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have heard of this 2 stamp/day requirement, but it wasn't a problem when we finished the CF last summer. We got a single stamp each day, all the way, and it was not mentioned at the pilgrims office when we got our compostelas. Maybe this is an issue if you are doing a short camino starting from Sarria, but with stamps from across the country it wasn't. Also, a caution. Your credential is not all that big. We barely had room for all of the stamps for the CF in our credentials. Some people who go heavy on the stamps have filled their credential up and had to get a second credential or tape extra pages into theirs. Not a problem if you need to, but a minor hassle that can be avoided. Buen Camino!
This might have been your experience, and many members have had the same happen when they haven't collected two stamps a day.

But it is not good advice to ignore the Pilgrim Office requirement to get two stamps a day for the last 100 km (200 km for cyclists). I certainly wouldn't want to have someone rely on this and find that they were refused the Compostela.

And if you want to collect more than one on the earlier stages of the camino, buy a new credencial - they are only a couple of euro. There is no need to avoid this, it isn't a hassle.

I would be careful about telling people this. If the Pilgrim's office has a staff member/volunteer who is being "by the book" - they could refuse someone who doesn't meet the requirements of 2 stamps a day for the last 100km. I do agree they are less likely to scrutinize someone who has walked - say - from SJPDP - but if getting the Compostela is important - then be sure to follow the easy to follow rules. I found that Sarria to Santiago - there were sellos easily accessible all along the path. Some places even had their sellos right next to the path for those who didn't want to stop in.

The passport books do have enough room for 1 stamp a day up until Sarria, and 2 stamps a day after Sarria. Unless you are a slower than average pilgrim - in terms of the number of days you hike. Then you might simply need to acquire a second book for sellos.

And the stamps are a great souvenir!

The Albergue in Ponferrada has a beautiful stamp. Almost every place you go including pharmacies and gas stations have a stamp. Buen Camino!
I find it amusing that many seem to anguish about getting adequate stamps. It is so easy to get stamps, and many are creative or artistic. I liked the stamps from the beginning of my first Camino Frances, and averaged 3 or 4 per day before Sarria, 6 or 7 a day after from churches, bars, restaurants, albergues, and many other places of interest. I filled two normal credentials and was well into a third. The second time I walked the Camino Frances, I used the credentials from the Confraternity of St. James in England, and those have spaces for a few more stamps. I filled three credentials my second pilgrimage. While I do have my compostela and distance certificate framed, my credentials and the stamps are my favorite souvenirs by far.
Buen Camino!
--james--

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Another good place to get a sello is at tourism offices. There's one in Ponferrada.
And Portugalete on the North route. They also have a 700 year anniversary stamp, which I also got. So, three for the day with the albergue stay.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.