• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential

Trishkerry

Time of past OR future Camino
Done....Frances, Norte ,Primitivo, Finisterre
Future ...via de la plata
Hi,
I realise that this question has probably been asked and answered several times and I have found and read some of the replies but I still feel the need for reassurance/clarification. I will be walking from Santiago to finisterre/Muxia in June this year. Some of the posts say that a credential for this route can be obtained in Santiago whilst others say that I will have to obtain one enroute. If the latter is true then does this mean I wont be able to stay in an albergue in Santiago on the night before I start ? What if I cant find one enroute. My guide book recommends joining a Confraternity and getting a credential from them. I have looked into this but it will cost approx £50 for the joining fee and a years membership.I dont begrudge paying this just cant really afford it :oops: . Any advice? :?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
hi trish
relax -you can either get one from the Pilgrim office or even on the first albergue on route,plus lots of places to stay in Santiago where all they want is your euro's-I can recomend the backpacking hostel Roots and Boots just 50 yards from the fisterra way out of Santiago and just 12 euro's-comes with clean Linen very clean and just 12 euro a night.
Ian

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To be clear - the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago will not issue a credencial to someone wishing to walk to Finisterre/Muxia. The credencial is intended for pilgrims making their way to Santiago. Credenciales for the route to Finisterre/Muxia are available at the first albergue in Negreira.

JohnnieWalker said:
To be clear - the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago will not issue a credencial to someone wishing to walk to Finisterre/Muxia.

See what I mean? Johnnie says I cant get one from the pilgrims office and Sagalout says I can :?

Arn said:
Hi,
Check the link bottom right of the page that says, "Free Credential "

Arn
Thanks Arn but I tried that. Made a donation to cover the postage too but never heard/got anything back :cry:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The credential for Finisterre/Muxia is quite separate from the one for Santiago. As Johnnie said "Credenciales for the route to Finisterre/Muxia are available at the first albergue in Negreira."

In 2008 I stayed two nights in Santiago in Seminario Menor, and they did not require the presentation of a credential to stay there- and from memory I think they wanted to see your country's passport.
Margaret

JohnnieWalker said:
Have you e mailed the Peterborough Pilgrims to ask why they didn't send your credencial even after you left a donation?

John
Yep, loads of times, got no reply. Ive PMd the persom on here from the Peterborough Pilgrims but no response from him either yet :cry:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I certainly used that route to get a credential and Ian responded with one quite promptly in January. I made a donation after I received it :D I would try again :!:

BlackDog said:
I certainly used that route to get a credential and Ian responded with one quite promptly in January. I made a donation after I received it :D I would try again :!:[/quote
Thanks David,
I have just E mailed them again. Fingers crossed :)

I have just received Trisha's private email on this matter. Peterborough Pilgrims were not aware
that we had failed to answer a request for a credential. I have replied to Trish asking her for her postal address. As soon as I get it I will send a credential. We are not in the habit of failing to answer those who contact us and we will be making effort to make sure that I does not happen again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
P.S On further searching I have found her address via paypal. She has a credential in the post on the way to her in Southern England. I have just returned from posting it.

Ian Holdsworth said:
I have just received Trisha's private email on this matter. Peterborough Pilgrims were not aware
that we had failed to answer a request for a credential. I have replied to Trish asking her for her postal address. As soon as I get it I will send a credential. We are not in the habit of failing to answer those who contact us and we will be making effort to make sure that I does not happen again.

Thanks for sorting it out Ian. Ive no idea where my Emails ended up, proably still floating around in cyberspace somewhere :oops: . Never mind these things happen I spose. Thanks again. :D

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ian Holdsworth said:
P.S On further searching I have found her address via paypal. She has a credential in the post on the way to her in Southern England. I have just returned from posting it.

ITS HERE :!: :D Thank you so much Ian. X

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello all, I have also received a credencial from Ian Holdsworth's Peterborough Pilgrims.
Many thanks to them. (donation made)

One question that I hope someone can help me with;
Do I fill in the details inside the front cover myself before I go or does an official need to do this?

thanks in advance, Ian

I asked the same question and you fill it in yourself. Where it is DNI put your passport number.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So glad I found this thread...

I received my credential a while a go and meant to make my donation once it had arrived but lost the link, thankfully by searching Ian and paypal I came across this thread and found the information i needed about filling it in too, so thanks guys! :D

Donation now made :)

One other thing - I ordered two passports as at the time my husband was coming to meet me in Sarria, now he's not, its just me. What do I do with the spare credential, send it back or pass it on?

Hi JAMC. I see you are starting in SJPP a couple of days after me. You may find that you will want to keep the extra passport for yourself as they do not have that many places for sellos (stamps). This means that you can keep more sellos as a reminder of where you stopped. Just mark them volume one and volume two. 8 )

Remember you need two a day for the last 100kms (from Sarria)

See you on the way, buen camino, Ian

If at first you don't succeed.....
.....then skydiving is probably not for you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Edit to above.......you are starting a month after me.
I am off on Wednesday.
Still have a buen camino, Ian.

If at first you don't succeed.....
.....then skydiving is probably not for you!

Just to give a data point for anyone heading to the Camino from Australia, I was very happy with the assistance given by Ian Holdsworth's Peterborough Pilgrims. I made a donation to cover postage from the UK to Australia of some credentials and they were posted the day after the donation and took just seven days in the post to Melbourne.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.