• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credential

VascoH

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Porto to Santiago (April 2013)
Portuguese Porto to Santiago (April 2014)
Hi, just wondering is there a different Credential for the Camino Portugues? Where do I obtain a Credential from be it specific Portugues or not?
I am walking the Camino Portugues in April 2013.
Vasco

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Vasco,
You don't say where you are starting. In Porto you can get the credential at the Cathedral,theyhave them at the info desk just inside. I don't think it was different.
If you are starting in Lisbon someone else willhave to answer you.
Bom camino
Sue

is there a different Credential for the Camino Portugues?
It is the same one. You can get a route-specific credential for the Camino Ingles and the Fisterra route.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Sulu and Falcon269. Sue, so there isn't a need to arrange one before we leave since its easily obtained in Porto. We are starting in Porto mid April 2013. After a year of hoping to do the Camino one day, my brother surprised me with a return ticket to Portugal for my 50th birthday so we could walk the Camino together. Being Portuguese we figured that would be the Camino appropriate for us.
Falcon269 it's good to know that they are the same, it would have been disappointing to arrive with the wrong one.
Another Question. Will the albergues stamp your credential even if you don't stay there the night? For instance I choose to stay at a motel one night will the local albergues still stamp my credential?

VascoH said:
Another Question. Will the albergues stamp your credential even if you don't stay there the night? For instance I choose to stay at a motel one night will the local albergues still stamp my credential?

Yes they will if someone is there when you are passing. Sellos are available in bars, restaurants, churches,town halls - lots of places!

Route specific credentials also on San Salvador - you can obtain it at the Carbajalas in Leon. When you reach Oviedo you will get a Salvadorana - a document that states you walked from Leon to Oviedo when you show them the sellos on your credentiales at the cathedral in Oviedo.

Sent from my HTC One X using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I choose to stay at a motel one night will the local albergues still stamp my credential?
Hotels have stamps as well.

Be aware that a "motel" in Spain is a by-the-hour love nest! You won't see many, but head for a hostal or hotel instead.

falcon269 said:
Be aware that a "motel" in Spain is a by-the-hour love nest! You won't see many, but head for a hostal or hotel instead.

That service is available on the Camino? Could make for an interesting walk :D

That service is available on the Camino?
On the Camino Sanabres, at least.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=motel&hl ... 87,,0,3.75

Google Street View does not have the resolution to read the sign that says "Motel," but it is the top (third) sign just to the rear of the car. Back out of Street View and move south on the road and you will see a barn-like building a few hundred yards down on the right.

42.785968,-8.458359

That is the Motel! You get a private garage, private entrance, room service, adult films on the television, and anonymity.

I would be very surprised if it is the only one in Spain ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am starting the Portuguese route in Barcelos.
Can I obtain a credential there? I will be passing through Santiago on my way to Barcelos, so i could get one there if they are available.
Any suggestions?

For instance I choose to stay at a motel one night will the local albergues still stamp my credential?
Hi Vasco! The motel will stamp your credential - no problem. The Portuguese camino is beautiful - you can see my Diary with about 100 pictures [or even download it] on my web site.
Bom caminho!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is the same one. You can get a route-specific credential for the Camino Ingles and the Fisterra route.

Where can you get the route-specific credential for the Camino Ingles falcon269 is it available in UK?

No, it is available at the tourist office Ferrol, and probably A Coruna. It is just a xerox copy page; nothing fancy.

Where can you get the route-specific credential for the Camino Ingles falcon269 is it available in UK?
No, it is available at the tourist office Ferrol, and probably A Coruna. It is just a xerox copy page; nothing fancy.
This last August (2013) the tourist office in Ferrol was issuing the standard pilgrim passport. Maybe they ran out later in the year and started offering photocopies?
BTW - I don't know what the pilgrim's office thinks of them but there's also the Xunta de Galicia's own tourist guides that have a pull-out guide like a small map. The Ingles one has all the fields of a standard credencial and dedicated spaces for 10 stamps. It also has a lot of route information, several maps including elevations for 6 stages, albergue addresses and phone numbers, a plan of Santiago and lots of other stuff. You can get these for most routes in the Galician tourist office in the same road as the pilgrim's office - though I think most are in Spanish or Galician.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

There is also a route specific credential for the Via de la Plata, available from the "Amigos del Camino de Santiago", the local supporters group for the VdlP, based in Sevilla. I got mine when I attended their weekly meeting on the evening before I began my walk. You are not expected to take too long on the road however - there is only 40 spaces for sellos for the 1000km, an average of 25km EVERY day. Buying 2 credentials would be a good idea if you want to spend a couple of lay days in some of the amazing cities along this route.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

I suspect we received a xerox copy of that one!!

Thank you falcon269 and peregrino_tom for your feedback. I expect I would be wise to go with ordinary non route specific credential just in case, so at least we have one when we arrive late evening in Ferrol.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
monniebarret, you can buy your Cedencial on the Albergue de Peregrinos da Cidade de Barcelos. You can check their website and get some informations in here: http://www.alberguedebarcelos.com/index.php/PT
Best Regards
Diogo Martins

I think that a great undertaking for the ViaLusitana would be to begin to produce a credencial specific to the Camino Portugues. Easy for me to say, since I wouldn't be doing any of the work, ;) but I think it would help promote the route from Lisbon and it could be a nice memento in and of itself. The Salvador credencial, for instance, is very nice, picture here: http://fernandopugaiglesias.blogspot.com/2012/01/nueva-credencial-camino-del-salvador.html

Diogo, do you have any opinion or insight on this issue? Buen camino, Laurie

I think that a great undertaking for the ViaLusitana would be to begin to produce a credencial specific to the Camino Portugues. Easy for me to say, since I wouldn't be doing any of the work, ;) but I think it would help promote the route from Lisbon and it could be a nice memento in and of itself. The Salvador credencial, for instance, is very nice, picture here: http://fernandopugaiglesias.blogspot.com/2012/01/nueva-credencial-camino-del-salvador.html

Diogo, do you have any opinion or insight on this issue? Buen camino, Laurie

Well, I think that they should do a Credential for the Caminho Português. It's a subject that I've never talked with the people from Via Lusitana, but it's one thing that I will put one my notes, to talk about in a meeting with them.

There are some new credentials, but I think that they are the same that you can buy in Spain (because they are in Spanish). They are bigger, both in wide and height, but also have an extra space for stamps.

Best Regards
Diogo

I will try to provide you some pictures of the "new" credentials, very diferent from the ones that I bought last year.

Best Regards
Diogo

I might do the intro another time--I'm a new member here, tho a long-time lurker, and a Santiagobis member for over a decade.
This thread suits my question now: I'll be walking from Tui with my sister and br-in-law at the beginning of April--unfortunately with only have enough time for that distance. There is plenty of space in my Irish-issued credential from two years ago--Porto-Santiago. May I use it again? I admit I've used repeat-credentials for the Aragonés route, between successive stages of the CF. But is this against the spirit or rules of the Office?? (I'm probably asking you, Johnnie--but are you still on the Via de la Plata?) I don't have any emotional need to have a one-per-camino souvenir. I just prefer to re-use the tidy passport-size doc I already have from the Irish Society, rather than the larger fold-out one I can probably get at Tui Cathedral on arrival. Okay, I confess to being a bit of a penny-pincher too.
Thank you, Ivar and everyone, for the great enjoyment the forum is giving this camino recidivist/reincidente!

You can use your old credential. Since it has the Santiago Pilgrim Office Stamp, you may have to explain what you are doing, but you are a certified pilgrim for life!!

Hi, just wondering is there a different Credential for the Camino Portugues? Where do I obtain a Credential from be it specific Portugues or not?
Vasco

Find Diogo on this forum, he is Portugese and lives nearby Lisbon and provides the service of sending you the credential to you send him a personal message and he will do this for you as he did for us the other day. He is a very kind person .

Where do you get the Credential for the Camino Ingles?
Did I miss that?
At the tourist office in Ferrol .
But Diogo sent us two ,first stamped in Lisbon. Never mind. We'll start in Ferrol mid of May and we will have add all the stamps on the same credential.

Find Diogo on this forum, he is Portugese and lives nearby Lisbon and provides the service of sending you the credential to you send him a personal message and he will do this for you as he did for us the other day. He is a very kind person .
Thanks for the help Albertinho however I posted that in January 2013.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola - the Pilgrims' Office and albergues accept any credencial issued by associations, churches, cathedral and albergues along the many routes. There are no route specific credenciales as such - that is if walking the Camino Ingles you don't need a particular credencial and therefore there is not a separate Credencial for the Camino Portuguese or any other route. What happens from time to time is that organisations locally produce credenciales with pictures etc of a particular route - these have souvenir value but using them is not obligatory!

Did you think it was for writing an essay on Al, you must have been tempted!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for that Johnnie as I was wondering about this. I have a couple of credentials from shorter walks with alot of white space in them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Vasco
Hi Vasco, I am walking the camino Portugues as from 18th April. You can get your credencial at the cathedral in Porto. Just check the tourist information desk and they will give you all the information you need.
buen camino, Gerda

Flying into A Coruna, then bus to Ferrol. Where in Ferrol can I pickup a credential as I'll be walking the Camino Ingles/English?

Flying into A Coruna, then bus to Ferrol. Where in Ferrol can I pickup a credential as I'll be walking the Camino Ingles/English?
Look at the forum of the camino Inglès instead of the caminho Portuges. A few week ago there where some answers about that item on the CE forum.
My wife and I are on our way to Ferrol (almost there ,another 300 kms to go :) hope to arrive there tomorrow..by car ! :)
We already have our credentials, ordered them from Diogo92 who you find on the Portugese forum most of the time, so we are prepared on beforehand.

Buen camino

€83,-
Look at the forum of the camino Inglès instead of the caminho Portuges. A few week ago there where some answers about that item on the CE forum.
My wife and I are on our way to Ferrol (almost there ,another 300 kms to go :) hope to arrive there tomorrow..by car ! :)
We already have our credentials, ordered them from Diogo92 who you find on the Portugese forum most of the time, so we are prepared on beforehand.

Buen camino
Thank you for the info and Buen Camino!

I will try to provide you some pictures of the "new" credentials, very diferent from the ones that I bought last year.

Best Regards
Diogo
Hi Diogo, I am planning to return from Melbourne Australia in Aug 2014 to walk the Camino Portugues from Lisbon with my mate Jim from New York State. Can you advise where we can get our Credentials in Lisbon? Kind Regards GerryB

Hi Diogo, I am planning to return from Melbourne Australia in Aug 2014 to walk the Camino Portugues from Lisbon with my mate Jim from New York State. Can you advise where we can get our Credentials in Lisbon? Kind Regards GerryB
I would like to know the same as I'm walking in Sept as well. I'm from Australia and thought I would wait till I get there.

I would like to know the same as I'm walking in Sept as well. I'm from Australia and thought I would wait till I get there.

I used to "offer" that service, but due to some circumstances, I'm not doing it right now. But, you can go to the Lisbon Cathedral and buy them for 2€. Or, if you rather prefer to have it up on your arrival to Lisbon, you can buy them here, and have them sent home: http://www.santiagodecompostela.me/...-passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiag

You can order them from Ivar, on this forum - just go to the shop on the top of the website.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Now the question is, which one of you, are the ones who booked in for Hotel do Chile? :D

Diogo and Kanga, Thank you for your feedback . . . we'll plan on getting our credentials from the Lisbon Cathedral on our arrival which might now be in September. Who knows, we may even meet Michryan on caminho at that time. - Gerry :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Diogo and Kanga, Thank you for your feedback . . . we'll plan on getting our credentials from the Lisbon Cathedral on our arrival which might now be in September. Who knows, we may even meet Michryan on caminho at that time. - Gerry :D
You never know you might see me there. I'm so excited wish I could leave now. Would be cool to see a fellow Aussie along the way.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.